THE BROWNS BOARD

Currently our 2025 first round pick is....

Orion

No worse than #4.   Although the Rams & Titans also have 1 win they only have 4 losses.  We, of course, have 5 losses right now.  

.....It's been a few years since draft thoughts entered our minds in October...but here we are again.  

It's been so long since we've had a 1st round pick that someone will have to remind the draft entourage to show up on Thursday night.  

4 hours ago, Orion said:

No worse than #4.   Although the Rams & Titans also have 1 win they only have 4 losses.  We, of course, have 5 losses right now.  

.....It's been a few years since draft thoughts entered our minds in October...but here we are again.  

It's been so long since we've had a 1st round pick that someone will have to remind the draft entourage to show up on Thursday night.  

Have no fear. Depo and company will find a way to trade this away in some other uniquely squandering way plus more likely as not.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Have no fear. Depo and company will find a way to trade this away in some other uniquely squandering way plus more likely as not.

I was almost going to add to the post. 'What are the odds that we make it through the season with the 1st round pick?'.  :)

I just heard from the talking heads if the season ended now we'd have the #1 pick due to strength of schedule tie breaker.  Which means the Browns have currently had the weakest strength of schedule among the 1-5 teams.

Wonder which career they would ruin next with the #1 pick...

A recent Athletic article had us picking second. Ugh.

2. Cleveland Browns: Kelvin Banks Jr., OT, Texas

We’ll see what happens with the Browns’ QB situation this offseason. It’s important to remember there will be a larger-than-normal market for younger starting QBs already on their second teams. Quarterback-needy teams don’t necessarily have to draft that position this high if there are better options elsewhere — and there absolutely should be.

Banks has had an outstanding start this season and would fill a need in Cleveland immediately.

38 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

A recent Athletic article had us picking second. Ugh.

2. Cleveland Browns: Kelvin Banks Jr., OT, Texas

We’ll see what happens with the Browns’ QB situation this offseason. It’s important to remember there will be a larger-than-normal market for younger starting QBs already on their second teams. Quarterback-needy teams don’t necessarily have to draft that position this high if there are better options elsewhere — and there absolutely should be.

Banks has had an outstanding start this season and would fill a need in Cleveland immediately.

no problem at all waiting till the 26 draft to get a qb

1 hour ago, syd said:

Aiden Hutchenson is gone for the year, what would it take to get Myles ? 1 & a 2 ? two 1's ?

If someone offered the Browns two first rounders for Myles, I’d have to consider that. He’ll be going into his ninth season next year 

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

If someone offered the Browns two first rounders for Myles, I’d have to consider that. He’ll be going into his ninth season next year 

Well with the Lions having an Aggie HC and Aggie DC, I'd say if they were shopping to win now, Aggie Myles fits the bill perfectly for both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

It honestly does, as much as it sucks to say. Probably more likely to trade Zadarius Smith (in general), but to be honest I think it's time to start taking calls on all members of this roster.

And Berry cannot stay around for the rebuild.

And I'm not saying he should be fired for poor drafts, or the Watson deal blowing up in his face either, even if both reasons are incredibly valid. Berry cannot remain GM of this team because this team needs a complete rebuild. It is the second oldest team in the NFL.

If he somehow survives this season, he knows his seat is scalding hot. So is he going to make the moves that in the long-term would be best for the Browns? No. He's going to make the moves that improve the team the quickest. 

And that's what Butch Davis did when he felt he had to do something bold NOW to save his job with the Browns, and drafted Kellen Winslow II over Ben Roethlisberger. 

4 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

but to be honest I think it's time to start taking calls on all members of this roster.

I don't like the idea of making ourselves worse with the expectation that you're going to hit on all these draft picks that you get.  

55 minutes ago, Orion said:

I don't like the idea of making ourselves worse with the expectation that you're going to hit on all these draft picks that you get.  

Lets say the Browns progress up to being a .500ish team next season, then back to the playoffs in 2026...

That's a pretty optimistic timeline considering most of us wouldn't bet a dollar on the over if someone gave us an over/under on Browns wins this season at 4.5, correct? 

The 2026 season would by Myles Garrett's tenth NFL season. 

15 hours ago, Orion said:

Just to add on, the reality of the situation is that until Watson is gone this team can't be competitive in terms of salary, payment of players etc. It sucks, but barring DTR moving the Earth or Watson finding God we just aren't going to be a great team for the next two years (including this season). It blows to say that, but it's just the reality. So if you keep eyes on 2026, the ages and seasons of some of our key players would be as follows. Keep in mind, the Browns are already the 4th oldest team by age (and are off as the oldest by a matter of days)

-Myles Garrett: 30 YO, 10th NFL season

-Ward: 29 (almost 30), 9th NFL season

-Chubb: 30, 9th NFL season

-Cooper: 32, 12th NFL season

It sucks man because this core was (and is) solid in so many areas but it's time to face the music. Old teams only make sense when you're competing at a high level. If any of these players can be flipped for high (1st or 2nd) round picks, it's worth seriously considering.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Just to add on, the reality of the situation is that until Watson is gone this team can't be competitive in terms of salary, payment of players etc. It sucks, but barring DTR moving the Earth or Watson finding God we just aren't going to be a great team for the next two years (including this season). It blows to say that, but it's just the reality. So if you keep eyes on 2026, the ages and seasons of some of our key players would be as follows. Keep in mind, the Browns are already the 4th oldest team by age (and are off as the oldest by a matter of days)

-Myles Garrett: 30 YO, 10th NFL season

-Ward: 29 (almost 30), 9th NFL season

-Chubb: 30, 9th NFL season

-Cooper: 32, 12th NFL season

It sucks man because this core was (and is) solid in so many areas but it's time to face the music. Old teams only make sense when you're competing at a high level. If any of these players can be flipped for high (1st or 2nd) round picks, it's worth seriously considering.

This is also 6-time Pro Bowl Guard Joel Bitonio's 11th year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

ESPN's mock draft - no, just no! Another one of those hybrid QB types who is athletic but no arm, can't read defenses, no pocket presence. Hard pass. 

If that's your take, then you haven't watched Sanders at all.  

The kid might be an asshole, his Dad isn't any better, but he has legit mental and physical NFL tools. 

The downside is all the baggage that comes with it. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

If that's your take, then you haven't watched Sanders at all.  

The kid might be an asshole, his Dad isn't any better, but he has legit mental and physical NFL tools. 

The downside is all the baggage that comes with it. 

You're always an asshole tia. That's my take and if you don't like it go kick rocks. 

10 minutes ago, syd said:

well then he is are man

Hahahahahahahahaha 

Like the most dysfunctional couple in the trailer park, either rocking the rails every night or having trashy fights for the whole neighborhood to hear. 

14 minutes ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

You're always an asshole tia. That's my take and if you don't like it go kick rocks. 

I'm straightforward.   Most people don't like it because they aren't used to it. Especially in 2024 when it involves disagreement.  So I can see why I come across like that, which is fair. 

Drafting a QB is the ultimate craps shoot. The NCAA spits out dual threat athletic QBs like they're going out of style. And then they eventually do go out of style, but it's more like DCs figure out how to game plan them. Then, they experience NFL level injuries - more powerful players playing a faster game - and it's a recipe for shorter careers.

I'd prefer a QB than can stand in the pocket and throw the ball.

5 hours ago, AP1 said:

...like BernieSuperBowl mentioned.  And I also prefer that type of QB.  And probably OLinemen prefer knowing where their QB will be back there.  But that's just not the current trend....and there's one thing we know....Haslem likes the new 'trends'.  He's a marketing guy at heart.  New & Improved....that's big to him.

5 hours ago, AP1 said:

Drafting a QB is the ultimate craps shoot. The NCAA spits out dual threat athletic QBs like they're going out of style. And then they eventually do go out of style, but it's more like DCs figure out how to game plan them. Then, they experience NFL level injuries - more powerful players playing a faster game - and it's a recipe for shorter careers.

A QB who can stand in the pocket, read defenses and find the open receiver is a QB built to be a long-time starter in the NFL.

How many QBs have we seen succeed for a couple of years until the NFL catches up to him, and a lifetime of being the best athlete on the field has caused said player to have no Plan B? He's been a great athlete his whole life, so learning the playbook back and front, learning how to read defenses, etc has never had to happen... so then they get stuck in neutral. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

A QB who can stand in the pocket, read defenses and find the open receiver is a QB built to be a long-time starter in the NFL.

How many QBs have we seen succeed for a couple of years until the NFL catches up to him, and a lifetime of being the best athlete on the field has caused said player to have no Plan B? He's been a great athlete his whole life, so learning the playbook back and front, learning how to read defenses, etc has never had to happen... so then they get stuck in neutral. 

The carousel of QBs that have played across the league in the last 5-10 is mind-numbing, especially growing up in an era where the opposite was true.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Countless greats come to mind.  Brady, Unitas, Moreno, Manning(s), Starr, Rogers (the half wit), - add your favorites (Kosar, Graham, Flacco?).  But again, we have Haslem & Depo.  And they, like most all of 'em now, want the QB in the shotgun and they want him to throw and run for yards & TD's.  Nobody lines up under center, spins & hands it to a RB that's already hurtling toward the intended running lane.  Everything is delayed handoffs from the shotgun.  It's like the RB doesn't get the ball until he's got two strikes on him.  

I can't count how many drafts where I stated that I wanted the tallest drink of water with a strong arm.  And if he turns out to be a Derrick Anderson, then go back to the draft and swing the bat again.  But now, they all want the QB to be acrobats also.