THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns @ Jaguars

Orion

Tale of the Tape  
O f f e n s e D e f e n s e
Cleveland Rush /G Pass /G Sacked Run D /G Pass D /G Sacks Give/Take
BROWNS 93 22nd 169 21st 6 102 13th 179 14th 3 -2
Jaguars 128 15th 162 24th 3 81 7th 338 32nd 3 -1

So here are the stats for this whole regular season  :)  one game.  But it sure says a lot about our offense.  Almost half of our rushing yardage came from 5 Watson scrambles.  And for being as far behind on the scoreboard as we were, we can only see 169 yards of passing progress.  The 6 sacks say a lot about how bad the passing game was.  And in reality, our defense did a fairly good job against the Cowboys.

Onto this week.  The Jaguars allowed 338 passing yards last week.  If we can get some blocking up front the passing game should look better.  'Should '  and probably had better look better this week.  The Jags ran the ball fairly well last week but did not put up good passing numbers.  

I see this as a pretty even contest.  Both teams need to rebound.  Both teams see this as a winnable game.  And both teams see the other as a Wild Card rival.  I'd like to think that we will win this game.....however, I did see our game last Sunday...so...it's hard to amass the confidence in such a prediction.  But in reality we probably need to find a way to win the next 4 games.  

This could come off as a sarcastic attack bait so I want to disclamier right away that it isn't, I'm new to the sport and though I've learned a lot quickly I have a lot left to learn. So this is a genuine question: I've heard a few people say our defense did a fairly good job against the cowboys. I've heard a couple say they were bad too but I've heard a lot of either "they were ok" or "they were pretty good". Our low score can be attributed to Watson or maybe even the offensive line or both or...idk, saturn aligning with mercury. But 33 cowboys points is the responsibility of the defense is it not? No matter how badly our offense plays that has nothing to do with how many points cowboys score right? Unless they intercept and then run it back. Is it just because they had possession for so long that the score was that high? Just because it seems like there are plenty of games that get played four quarters where no one breaks 30. So are we attributing the score the cowboys recieved to the number of turnovers and possession time the cowboys had?

3 hours ago, Orange_Ranger said:

This could come off as a sarcastic attack bait so I want to disclamier right away that it isn't, I'm new to the sport and though I've learned a lot quickly I have a lot left to learn. So this is a genuine question: I've heard a few people say our defense did a fairly good job against the cowboys. I've heard a couple say they were bad too but I've heard a lot of either "they were ok" or "they were pretty good". Our low score can be attributed to Watson or maybe even the offensive line or both or...idk, saturn aligning with mercury. But 33 cowboys points is the responsibility of the defense is it not? No matter how badly our offense plays that has nothing to do with how many points cowboys score right? Unless they intercept and then run it back. Is it just because they had possession for so long that the score was that high? Just because it seems like there are plenty of games that get played four quarters where no one breaks 30. So are we attributing the score the cowboys recieved to the number of turnovers and possession time the cowboys had?

Any defense that is stuck with an offense that can produce only one first down in the first half is going to already be getting dog tired by the end of a half like that. Add the -2 for the turnover department and you have an instant recipe for the disaster we saw. But I also give full credit to the boys for moving their star defender all over the field and making life miserable for our underwhelming OTs. All on this board knew the weakness of OT for this team and it never got fully addressed in the off-season. Our FO sucked in that fuckup and deserves all the blame there is to give.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Any defense that is stuck with an offense that can produce only one first down in the first half is going to already be getting dog tired by the end of a half like that. Add the -2 for the turnover department and you have an instant recipe for the disaster we saw. But I also give full credit to the boys for moving their star defender all over the field and making life miserable for our underwhelming OTs. All on this board knew the weakness of OT for this team and it never got fully addressed in the off-season. Our FO sucked in that fuckup and deserves all the blame there is to give.

Also, one of those touchdowns was a punt return. 

8 hours ago, Orange_Ranger said:

But 33 cowboys points is the responsibility of the defense is it not?

As Dutch pointed out, it would've been 26 points on our defense.  (punt return)   Remarkably, we possessed the ball for 2 minutes longer than the Cowboys.  And our D held them to 265 yards.  That's not too shabby.  The OLine has to do a better job in order for us to be competitive....and in order to evaluate Watson's true ability.

Where to watch state side?

Looks like most of Ohio gets to watch locally, except for my forsaken homies in Van Wert and some of our Quaker friends along the WV border.

Most of FL gets it too, except for you Floridians living on the tip of the phallus. Southern GA and parts of southern AL get it too. Some border areas of KY and WV, they get the Browns too. 

Our Amish friends near Erie, PA get the game too. The Amish love the Browns. 

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2024&wk=2

IMG_2086.jpeg

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Where to watch state side?

Looks like most of Ohio gets to watch locally, except for my forsaken homies in Van Wert and some of our Quaker friends along the WV border.

Most of FL gets it too, except for you Floridians living on the tip of the phallus. Southern GA and parts of southern AL get it too. Some border areas of KY and WV, they get the Browns too. 

Our Amish friends near Erie, PA get the game too. The Amish love the Browns. 

https://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2024&wk=2

IMG_2086.jpeg

I'm just foaming at the mouth at the thought of the barn-burner in my area - Jets & Titans.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

DT Siaki Ika, Browns 3rd round pick last season, has returned and been placed on the practice squad. 

And David Bell has been signed to the active roster.

...and of course, this:

Placed LB Mohamoud Diabate (hip), LB Tony Fields II (ankle), DT Maurice Hurst II (ankle), S Juan Thornhill (calf) on reserve/injured

11 hours ago, AP1 said:

I'm just foaming at the mouth at the thought of the barn-burner in my area - Jets & Titans.

Me too. I feel your pain Bro. And the stupid line plays the Browns on the county just north of us. I may go up to Killeen and find a sports bar. Ya think they'll let me stay if I just drink a soda? I don't ever drink alcohol and drive and my wife broke an ankle when she totaled her car two weeks back, so she can't be my DD.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Me too. I feel your pain Bro. And the stupid line plays the Browns on the county just north of us. I may go up to Killeen and find a sports bar. Ya think they'll let me stay if I just drink a soda? I don't ever drink alcohol and drive and my wife broke an ankle when she totaled her car two weeks back, so she can't be my DD.

Get some wings... a nice quesadilla... perhaps some jalapeno poppers? 😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Get some wings... a nice quesadilla... perhaps some jalapeno poppers? 😉

A couple of games a year, when I was 10, 11, 12, my Dad would take me to the nearest bar. Since the Browns were never on in our area, Dad would ask the owner if he could turn one of the corner TVs to the Browns game so we could watch. He'd order appetizers, pop for me and beer and we'd get to enjoy the Brownies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/12/2024 at 6:54 AM, AP1 said:

It all starts up front. Hopefully there were some realizations in the OL room this week.

That is right. ...  OL  -or-  DL   with no line it all stops there.   Any star. RB  will tell you that.   A  QB has a precious few seconds to get any pass away.

It sure was nice when the  BROWNS  had the  # 1 running game in the  NFL  just a few years back.    A dependible,  healthy line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

That is right. ...  OL  -or-  DL   with no line it all stops there.   Any star. RB  will tell you that.   A  QB has a precious few seconds to get any pass away.

It sure was nice when the  BROWNS  had the  # 1 running game in the  NFL  just a few years back.    A dependible,  healthy line.

Understandably QB will be the focus around here until the situation is actually fixed long-term.

But man oh man, the Browns OLine and DLine are collectively getting up there in age. The Browns have to infuse talented youth into both of them this coming off season. 

Understandably QB will be the focus around here until the situation is actually fixed long-term.

But man oh man, the Browns OLine and DLine are collectively getting up there in age. The Browns have to infuse talented youth into both of them this coming off season. 

would you consider  trading Myles for a couple of picks ? (I mean like 2 1st or a 1st and a 2nd) 

3 hours ago, syd said:

would you consider  trading Myles for a couple of picks ? (I mean like 2 1st or a 1st and a 2nd) 

Wow...

He'll be entering his 9th season next year. If someone offered two first rounders or a first and second for Myles, I'd have to consider that very hard. 

I would absolutely hate the idea of trading him, especially considering he's shown no wear on the old proverbial tires (he only turns 29 just after Christmas), but those picks could really help get this team younger. Those picks could get the Browns their pick of a QB in next year's draft. This might come to a surprise, but the Browns have the second oldest roster in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

How much that can be done with line two has a lot to do with what has to be done about line one.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns have to infuse talented youth into both of them this coming off season. 

The fact that we are discussing the off season in the TotT thread for game 2, says a lot about the state of the Browns. Any remaining hope I have following that abysmal game last week, hinges on this game. Given the state the team is in, I don't see them coming back from an 0-2 start. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:21 PM, Orion said:
  Tale of the Tape  
O f f e n s e D e f e n s e
Cleveland Rush /G Pass /G Sacked Run D /G Pass D /G Sacks Give/Take
BROWNS 93 22nd 169 21st 6 102 13th 179 14th 3 -2
Jaguars 128 15th 162 24th 3 81 7th 338 32nd 3 -1

So here are the stats for this whole regular season  :)  one game.  But it sure says a lot about our offense.  Almost half of our rushing yardage came from 5 Watson scrambles.  And for being as far behind on the scoreboard as we were, we can only see 169 yards of passing progress.  The 6 sacks say a lot about how bad the passing game was.  And in reality, our defense did a fairly good job against the Cowboys.

Onto this week.  The Jaguars allowed 338 passing yards last week.  If we can get some blocking up front the passing game should look better.  'Should '  and probably had better look better this week.  The Jags ran the ball fairly well last week but did not put up good passing numbers.  

I see this as a pretty even contest.  Both teams need to rebound.  Both teams see this as a winnable game.  And both teams see the other as a Wild Card rival.  I'd like to think that we will win this game.....however, I did see our game last Sunday...so...it's hard to amass the confidence in such a prediction.  But in reality we probably need to find a way to win the next 4 games.  

I would add that the Browns remain undisciplined and have to constantly gain 15 yards to net 10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

The fact that we are discussing the off season in the TotT thread for game 2, says a lot about the state of the Browns. Any remaining hope I have following that abysmal game last week, hinges on this game. Given the state the team is in, I don't see them coming back from an 0-2 start. 

There's absolutely truth to this... I wasn't very optimistic honestly going into the season, nothing I heard regarding the offense and it's "changes" sounded promising during Training Camp, and IMO our defense might be one of the most overrated units in the NFL. Yes, at home, vs crappy QBs they were dominant last season. That was not a consistent defense at all, though. 

But second, I could talk draft regarding the Browns all year long. I'm an outlier regarding that, I don't need them being 5-9 at the start of December before allowing myself to talk draft. We could be 4-0 entering October and if someone wants to discuss what the Browns should prioritize in the following draft, I'm all in. I can multi-task. 😉 Also, getting an idea of what the Browns should look for in next year's draft IMO makes watching college football that more interesting. 

• Like 1

Looks like we'll be without our starting tackles again.  At the least without Wills.

Browns
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Joel Bitonio G   Limited Participation in Practice  
Jack Conklin T Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Myles Garrett DE   Limited Participation in Practice  
Myles Harden CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Nick Harris C   Full Participation in Practice  
Charley Hughlett LS   Limited Participation in Practice  
Jerry Jeudy WR   Full Participation in Practice  
David Njoku TE Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah     Full Participation in Practice  
Za'Darius Smith DE   Limited Participation in Practice  
Dalvin Tomlinson DT   Limited Participation in Practice  
Denzel Ward CB   Full Participation in Practice  
Jedrick Wills T Knee Limited Participation in Practice Out
Alex Wright DE   Full Participation in Practice  

Jaguars
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Arik Armstead DE   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Tyson Campbell CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Caleb Johnson LB Back Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Tyler Lacy DT Toe Limited Participation in Practice Questionable
Cam Robinson T   Full Participation in Practice  
Darnell Savage S Quadricep Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Daniel Thomas S   Full Participation in Practice

16 hours ago, syd said:

I like Myles but if we could get our next franchise qb out of it plus an extra pick in the first? Yes please.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

There's absolutely truth to this... I wasn't very optimistic honestly going into the season, nothing I heard regarding the offense and it's "changes" sounded promising during Training Camp, and IMO our defense might be one of the most overrated units in the NFL. Yes, at home, vs crappy QBs they were dominant last season. That was not a consistent defense at all, though. 

I was thinking this with our playoff loss in regards to Flacco.

Flacco retired for a reason of course, but if our defense had played better or anywhere near the standards they set all season, I think Flacco has room to be patient and maybe manage the game better.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jax said:

I was thinking this with our playoff loss in regards to Flacco.

Flacco retired for a reason of course, but if our defense had played better or anywhere near the standards they set all season, I think Flacco has room to be patient and maybe manage the game better.

Turns out, as Dutch alluded above, our defense feasted on cupcakes that artificially inflated the stats and then were feast or famine against quality offenses. 

Houston laid the blueprint.  For the most part, Dallas used that similar blueprint week 1.   Anything can be used against you when understood and anticipated correctly. 

Edit: also a reminder that Flacco played with Baltimore defenses that would win games in spite of him.