THE BROWNS BOARD

Trench Warfare - the 2024 Browns Dline

Wrote most of the back half of this write up listening to The Auditorium Vol 1, by Common.  If you're into Soul AND Hip-Hop, it feels like an instant classic.  Put it on while you give my words a read...    

Part 1: The Outsiders

Enter The Schwartz:      With a refined focus on correcting the defensive deficiencies that held the team back from a potential wild card berth in 2022, an elder statesman, with a proven track record of coaching success, was brought in - Jim Schwartz.       Known for his primarily one gap, downhill, disruptive, aggressive and mad scientist style of designing and structuring his defensive fronts.   Along with a proven coach, the CLE Front Office was obliged to give the man the talent he needed and demanded, in order to make sure his squad could effect a significant turnaround in only the course of one-offseason.   This included cutting or letting walk 1/2 of the starting DL from only 4 months prior and, apart from Myles Garrett, almost an entirely new 2 deep rotation.

Andrew Berry immediately went to work in Free Agency, picking the pockets of the Vikings for their vets by securing Zadarius Smith.  Then placing calls to bring on Okoronkwo from Houston.  Wrapping it up by spending a 4th round pick in 2023 at the position to keep the rush humming.

Edge: 

Myles Garrett.   Really nothing *needs* said.   One of the very best pass rushers in all of football.  While it is a media award - the reigning Defensive Player of the Year.   It's crazy to think he is entering his 8th season in Cleveland.  Feels like he was drafted just yesterday.  Goes to show how quickly the seasons, the years, and the players can fly by.    He is the focus of offensive attention regardless of where he lines up... just ask the Titans and their attempt at chip help.  The question with Myles isn't ability and results, but a noticeable and nagging shoulder injury that really hampered him the last 4 games of the season.  How he has recovered and will, god willing, continue to avoid major problems with re-injury is the only question mark.  

Zadarius Smith.  The old Man on the outside.   But beyond just the outside, he is consistently the edge who is unselfish and effective enough slide inside and play as a DPR on the interior in obvious passing situations.   While his numbers might not be what you'd expect at a surface glance, his level of play in 2023 in relation to the role(s) he filled underscores his quality play, versatility and effectiveness all across the front.    The downside?  A lingering knee injury at 32 which crept on at times at points throughout 2023.    Like Myles, how that injury heals will be crucial.   But given his additional mileage in the NFL, getting younger players a greater pitch count to help keep ZAD healthy and consistently effective on a per snap basis is priority #1, 2 and 3 for the coaches.

Ogbonnia "Ogbo" Okoronkwo:   The Designated Pass Rusher (DPR) from the Texans.    He picked up from his time in LA and HOU by essentially acting as the 6th man off the bench in pass rush downs/distances.   While he doesn't put up monster numbers, his per snap effectiveness and numbers from the '22 season as a Texan were incredibly similar.  His consistency and twitch off the edge give him value and this defense flexibility from his skill to edge rush and drop in coverage when called on.  His size, especially in nickel and dime situations against the run, is the holdup.   As his pass rush snaps v run defense snaps is almost 2:1 and his run DEF grade is has either be even or lower than his pass rush grade.     He's a tool, a damn useful one, but not without weakness.

Alex Wright:  The 2022 pick from UAB.    You're welcomed to search my review of him post-selection.  But I wasn't to keen with his pick.  And, given my assessment, his assignments, snap count and production have almost perfectly followed the path of my eval.    To the credit of coach Schwartz, he has actually carved out a role where Wright can make limited contributions with his limited skill set.     Much like Ogbo, he has found a niche in essentially a DPR roll, having almost 1/3 more pass rush snaps than snaps against the run.  He set career highs with 5 sacks and did so by maximizing out his 6'7 frame by doing his best work from the interior, generating the bulk of his pressures there.   This allowed him to use his wingspan to affect throwing windows on QB's at the most vunerable - right up the middle.  But also didn't ask him to further utilize a lack of technique by simply telling him to play fast, play violent and play tall if you can't win immediately.  

Isaiah McGuire:  The Rook from Mizzou, where they quietly continue to produce quality NFL products along those Dlines.  Despite playing almost 300 less snaps, he produced half the sacks and 1/3 of the hurries that Alex Wright did.   A classic, long armed, bully-strong edge, McGuire isn't the twitchy rusher with exception bend like Myles.   But he has a great motor, solid fundamentals and athletic ability to take and win both inside and outside.  He's a solid compliment across the front, despite being unexceptional in any facet of his game.

Isaiah Thomas:  Yes, there's another Isaiah...  

Sam Kamara:   

Neither of these two have played significant or will likely to play significant snaps.  They're practice squad material who may get gameday activation in emergency/health based situations.   Of the two, I take I.T.    Watching some of his snaps in 2022, the kid has some game and didn't look like he at least *didn't* belong.   Both have signed future/reserve contracts with the Browns.  It's my hope they help to push Wright and McGuire, if not realistically, at least in perception, to be their best selves.

The perimeter of this Line is such an interesting read.  Reminds me a lot of the basketball teams built around Lebron.  You have the All-Star, a solid 2nd player who can dish and shoot, maybe a double double in the right situation.    Beyond that you have role players who can rebound and spot shoot, but really don't create much on their own.   That's what the Browns have built.  

You have Myles as your full time All Star.   ZAD is your 2nd player who, even if Myles isn't in, can create his own stats.  But is best served at this point playing a sidekick roll.  Your rebounders in Wright and McGuire, then a shooter (DPR) in Ogbo.   All will make this team, barring Wright imploding in the off-season.  He would be the only likely cut candidate.  Which brings us back around to McGuire, who I firmly expect to eat into the snap count of both Smith and Wright as he enters his sophomore season.  Apart from Myles, he's the only edge on this team with a combination of youth, fundamentals, size and flexibility to merit seeing an increase in playing time.  Smith has to keep his snaps down to protect his knee and to make sure he's available as the grind of the season wears on.    Ogbo will remain a DPR as he's physically tapped out and a liability when you run at him unless he's playing such an incredibly wide technique between the 7-9.   Wright will continue to be a RAS marvel until (IF) he learns to apply, let alone master, the fundamentals of his position that superior prospects have as a second nature when drafted.  Things like pad level, hand/foot sync, strike technique and pass rush plan are all stuff he lacks and, once he even flashes, seems to forget just as quickly. 

What is clear, is that this group can again be great.  But that greatness is largely dependent on Myles' health.  Even then, that greatness won't be collectively seen or maintained beyond perhaps the next 18 months at best.    Smith is an aging vet on the back 9 of his career, looking at the clubhouse.    Ogbo is a role player who can be replaced with cheaper options in the near future.    Alex Wright is a one-trick pony who's party favor isn't even all that welcomed at the function.   Beyond Myles, the only long-term hope I have in this group is McGuire, who has the ability to grow into a solid NFL player.  The type, similar to Sam Hubbard in Cincy, that has a lengthy NFL career with a team for team friendly prices, but is the robin to Trey Hendrickson's Batman.   That is much of what I envision for him.

Berry may have his moments of lacking foresight, but he isn't some idiot who tends to not learn from their mistakes.   Meaning, like myself, while you appreciate the moment and look forward to the immediate, you always find moments to put an eye to the future for personnel.  It will, and has to be, constantly in the back of your mind.   Even Myles' time with CLE is going to be hitting sunset sooner rather than later.  Nothing and nobody lasts forever, especially in a league where the initials stand for Not For Long.  

The pass rush will be getting tests at the start of 2024 they didn't see until the playoffs in 2023.  Dallas represents a significant step up from offensively deficient squads that they feasted on early and often last year.   It may work to their advantage, coming off a playoff loss against a talented passing offense, to walk into the same week 1 with the Cowboys. 

The Outsiders will bring havoc and win battles, but if the youth doesn't find a greater impact to help ease the burden of a full season, those battles may be at the expense of possibly winning a greater war later.

Questions: 

Who will place 2nd in sacks among this group?

Who will have the most TFLs?

Who will get more snaps moving from edge to interior?

Over/Under on batted passes by Alex Wright on the season.   I'm setting it at 4.  

Sacks for Isaiah McGuire? 

How many games will Zadarius miss?

Part 2 with the IDL coming at a later time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Wrote most of the back half of this write up listening to The Auditorium Vol 1, by Common.  If you're into Soul AND Hip-Hop, it feels like an instant classic.  Put it on while you give my words a read...    

Part 1: The Outsiders

Enter The Schwartz:      With a refined focus on correcting the defensive deficiencies that held the team back from a potential wild card berth in 2022, an elder statesman, with a proven track record of coaching success, was brought in - Jim Schwartz.       Known for his primarily one gap, downhill, disruptive, aggressive and mad scientist style of designing and structuring his defensive fronts.   Along with a proven coach, the CLE Front Office was obliged to give the man the talent he needed and demanded, in order to make sure his squad could effect a significant turnaround in only the course of one-offseason.   This included cutting or letting walk 1/2 of the starting DL from only 4 months prior and, apart from Myles Garrett, almost an entirely new 2 deep rotation.

Andrew Berry immediately went to work in Free Agency, picking the pockets of the Vikings for their vets by securing Zadarius Smith.  Then placing calls to bring on Okoronkwo from Houston.  Wrapping it up by spending a 4th round pick in 2023 at the position to keep the rush humming.

Edge: 

Myles Garrett.   Really nothing *needs* said.   One of the very best pass rushers in all of football.  While it is a media award - the reigning Defensive Player of the Year.   It's crazy to think he is entering his 8th season in Cleveland.  Feels like he was drafted just yesterday.  Goes to show how quickly the seasons, the years, and the players can fly by.    He is the focus of offensive attention regardless of where he lines up... just ask the Titans and their attempt at chip help.  The question with Myles isn't ability and results, but a noticeable and nagging shoulder injury that really hampered him the last 4 games of the season.  How he has recovered and will, god willing, continue to avoid major problems with re-injury is the only question mark.  

Zadarius Smith.  The old Man on the outside.   But beyond just the outside, he is consistently the edge who is unselfish and effective enough slide inside and play as a DPR on the interior in obvious passing situations.   While his numbers might not be what you'd expect at a surface glance, his level of play in 2023 in relation to the role(s) he filled underscores his quality play, versatility and effectiveness all across the front.    The downside?  A lingering knee injury at 32 which crept on at times at points throughout 2023.    Like Myles, how that injury heals will be crucial.   But given his additional mileage in the NFL, getting younger players a greater pitch count to help keep ZAD healthy and consistently effective on a per snap basis is priority #1, 2 and 3 for the coaches.

Ogbonnia "Ogbo" Okoronkwo:   The Designated Pass Rusher (DPR) from the Texans.    He picked up from his time in LA and HOU by essentially acting as the 6th man off the bench in pass rush downs/distances.   While he doesn't put up monster numbers, his per snap effectiveness and numbers from the '22 season as a Texan were incredibly similar.  His consistency and twitch off the edge give him value and this defense flexibility from his skill to edge rush and drop in coverage when called on.  His size, especially in nickel and dime situations against the run, is the holdup.   As his pass rush snaps v run defense snaps is almost 2:1 and his run DEF grade is has either be even or lower than his pass rush grade.     He's a tool, a damn useful one, but not without weakness.

Alex Wright:  The 2022 pick from UAB.    You're welcomed to search my review of him post-selection.  But I wasn't to keen with his pick.  And, given my assessment, his assignments, snap count and production have almost perfectly followed the path of my eval.    To the credit of coach Schwartz, he has actually carved out a role where Wright can make limited contributions with his limited skill set.     Much like Ogbo, he has found a niche in essentially a DPR roll, having almost 1/3 more pass rush snaps than snaps against the run.  He set career highs with 5 sacks and did so by maximizing out his 6'7 frame by doing his best work from the interior, generating the bulk of his pressures there.   This allowed him to use his wingspan to affect throwing windows on QB's at the most vunerable - right up the middle.  But also didn't ask him to further utilize a lack of technique by simply telling him to play fast, play violent and play tall if you can't win immediately.  

Isaiah McGuire:  The Rook from Mizzou, where they quietly continue to produce quality NFL products along those Dlines.  Despite playing almost 300 less snaps, he produced half the sacks and 1/3 of the hurries that Alex Wright did.   A classic, long armed, bully-strong edge, McGuire isn't the twitchy rusher with exception bend like Myles.   But he has a great motor, solid fundamentals and athletic ability to take and win both inside and outside.  He's a solid compliment across the front, despite being unexceptional in any facet of his game.

Isaiah Thomas:  Yes, there's another Isaiah...  

Sam Kamara:   

Neither of these two have played significant or will likely to play significant snaps.  They're practice squad material who may get gameday activation in emergency/health based situations.   Of the two, I take I.T.    Watching some of his snaps in 2022, the kid has some game and didn't look like he at least *didn't* belong.   Both have signed future/reserve contracts with the Browns.  It's my hope they help to push Wright and McGuire, if not realistically, at least in perception, to be their best selves.

The perimeter of this Line is such an interesting read.  Reminds me a lot of the basketball teams built around Lebron.  You have the All-Star, a solid 2nd player who can dish and shoot, maybe a double double in the right situation.    Beyond that you have role players who can rebound and spot shoot, but really don't create much on their own.   That's what the Browns have built.  

You have Myles as your full time All Star.   ZAD is your 2nd player who, even if Myles isn't in, can create his own stats.  But is best served at this point playing a sidekick roll.  Your rebounders in Wright and McGuire, then a shooter (DPR) in Ogbo.   All will make this team, barring Wright imploding in the off-season.  He would be the only likely cut candidate.  Which brings us back around to McGuire, who I firmly expect to eat into the snap count of both Smith and Wright as he enters his sophomore season.  Apart from Myles, he's the only edge on this team with a combination of youth, fundamentals, size and flexibility to merit seeing an increase in playing time.  Smith has to keep his snaps down to protect his knee and to make sure he's available as the grind of the season wears on.    Ogbo will remain a DPR as he's physically tapped out and a liability when you run at him unless he's playing such an incredibly wide technique between the 7-9.   Wright will continue to be a RAS marvel until (IF) he learns to apply, let alone master, the fundamentals of his position that superior prospects have as a second nature when drafted.  Things like pad level, hand/foot sync, strike technique and pass rush plan are all stuff he lacks and, once he even flashes, seems to forget just as quickly. 

What is clear, is that this group can again be great.  But that greatness is largely dependent on Myles' health.  Even then, that greatness won't be collectively seen or maintained beyond perhaps the next 18 months at best.    Smith is an aging vet on the back 9 of his career, looking at the clubhouse.    Ogbo is a role player who can be replaced with cheaper options in the near future.    Alex Wright is a one-trick pony who's party favor isn't even all that welcomed at the function.   Beyond Myles, the only long-term hope I have in this group is McGuire, who has the ability to grow into a solid NFL player.  The type, similar to Sam Hubbard in Cincy, that has a lengthy NFL career with a team for team friendly prices, but is the robin to Trey Hendrickson's Batman.   That is much of what I envision for him.

Berry may have his moments of lacking foresight, but he isn't some idiot who tends to not learn from their mistakes.   Meaning, like myself, while you appreciate the moment and look forward to the immediate, you always find moments to put an eye to the future for personnel.  It will, and has to be, constantly in the back of your mind.   Even Myles' time with CLE is going to be hitting sunset sooner rather than later.  Nothing and nobody lasts forever, especially in a league where the initials stand for Not For Long.  

The pass rush will be getting tests at the start of 2024 they didn't see until the playoffs in 2023.  Dallas represents a significant step up from offensively deficient squads that they feasted on early and often last year.   It may work to their advantage, coming off a playoff loss against a talented passing offense, to walk into the same week 1 with the Cowboys. 

The Outsiders will bring havoc and win battles, but if the youth doesn't find a greater impact to help ease the burden of a full season, those battles may be at the expense of possibly winning a greater war later.

Questions: 

Who will place 2nd in sacks among this group? 

Who will have the most TFLs?  

Who will get more snaps moving from edge to interior?  

Over/Under on batted passes by Alex Wright on the season.   I'm setting it at 4.  

Sacks for Isaiah McGuire?  

How many games will Zadarius miss?  

Part 2 with the IDL coming at a later time.

Great read Tia!  Thanks!

Who will place 2nd in sacks among this group? Zadarius Smith 

Who will have the most TFLs?  Myles Garrett

Who will get more snaps moving from edge to interior?  Za'Darius Smith

Over/Under on batted passes by Alex Wright on the season.   I'm setting it at 4.  Under

Sacks for Isaiah McGuire?  8.5 - I might be overrating this guy; but I got a good feeling about him.

How many games will Zadarius miss?  4

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice evaluation.

I will look forward to your inside views.  My feeling is the edge guys are good enough. What happens with the interior guys ability to push the pocket will have a great impact on the success of the edge players if the interior can't get consistent push up the middle.  If the QB can step up, it wrecks the angles as soon as the edge players start to beat their guy.

As for the questions, I don't know.  It's all speculative guesswork so I will just pass on that.  I will say that Z Smith might get double digit sacks.  He can get a good number of clean up sacks when Garrett washes the QB out of the pocket.  In some ways it might be better for him to play a tick late in anticipation.

On 7/21/2024 at 8:41 PM, Flugel said:

Great read Tia!  Thanks!

Who will place 2nd in sacks among this group? Zadarius Smith 

Who will have the most TFLs?  Myles Garrett

Who will get more snaps moving from edge to interior?  Za'Darius Smith

Over/Under on batted passes by Alex Wright on the season.   I'm setting it at 4.  Under

Sacks for Isaiah McGuire?  8.5 - I might be overrating this guy; but I got a good feeling about him.

How many games will Zadarius miss?  4

Ambitious on McGuire, but I appreciate the optimism.  

Za'Darius missing 4 games, but still netting 2nd in sacks?  That means he'd have to have at least 9 to best I.M.    9 in 13 games is a pretty impressive tear.

On 7/22/2024 at 7:21 AM, ballpeen said:

Nice evaluation.

I will look forward to your inside views.  My feeling is the edge guys are good enough. What happens with the interior guys ability to push the pocket will have a great impact on the success of the edge players if the interior can't get consistent push up the middle.  If the QB can step up, it wrecks the angles as soon as the edge players start to beat their guy.

As for the questions, I don't know.  It's all speculative guesswork so I will just pass on that.  I will say that Z Smith might get double digit sacks.  He can get a good number of clean up sacks when Garrett washes the QB out of the pocket.  In some ways it might be better for him to play a tick late in anticipation.

Thanks.   Layering a rush tends to benefit the second edge player, regardless of who that body is.  So I could see Smith having a 10 sack season.   

As for the interior, what happened in 2022 forced the Berry to see the light.  You can't be successful in this league and have a nuclear button that other coaches can so easily press.  

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Za'Darius missing 4 games, but still netting 2nd in sacks?  That means he'd have to have at least 9 to best I.M.    9 in 13 games is a pretty impressive tear.

Yeah, I think my McGuire prediction was on steroids.  Speaking of which - my best chances to be wrong are McGuire getting 8.5 sacks within a rotation; and Za'Darius missing as many as 4 starts.  If I overestimated 1 or both - I can't see anyone but Za'Darius being 2nd in sacks.   The reason for that is his 270 lb frame will get him reps inside and outside.  In a 17 game season, any reason a guy like JOK can't get us about 6 or 7 sacks too?  We could do some pretty good x-stunts with that guy...

On 7/23/2024 at 6:58 PM, tiamat63 said:

Thanks.   Layering a rush tends to benefit the second edge player, regardless of who that body is.  So I could see Smith having a 10 sack season.   

As for the interior, what happened in 2022 forced the Berry to see the light.  You can't be successful in this league and have a nuclear button that other coaches can so easily press.  

I agree.  You can't have an interior who can't press a pocket, and also get gashed in the run game.  If you can't get both, you need to have one.

On 7/23/2024 at 6:58 PM, tiamat63 said:

Indeed!  Tomlinson was a HUGE addition to the IDL last year.  We haven't had an inside push like that in a LONG time; and he was a big reason for that.  He comes out stance with an ideal pad height giving him the leverage coinciding with the power he has to give us that push. Maurice Hurst and Shelby Harris were also effective with their inside push. It's gonna be fun to see what Rookie DT Mike Hall Jr adds to this group.  We talk about how important this is in tandem with the edge rush; but JOK was quite the beneficiary of that group.  I thought 2023 was easily his best season.

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2024 at 10:55 PM, Flugel said:

Yeah, I think my McGuire prediction was on steroids.  Speaking of which - my best chances to be wrong are McGuire getting 8.5 sacks within a rotation; and Za'Darius missing as many as 4 starts.  If I overestimated 1 or both - I can't see anyone but Za'Darius being 2nd in sacks.   The reason for that is his 270 lb frame will get him reps inside and outside.  In a 17 game season, any reason a guy like JOK can't get us about 6 or 7 sacks too?  We could do some pretty good x-stunts with that guy...

Young JoK had, 5 or 6 last year alone, I believe? I see no reason why that trend can't continue.  But as Houston showed, he still gets a bit lost in his coverage responsibilities at times which can lead to big busts. 

As for Zad V McGuire.  I think, given the increase in snap count I expect out of the latter, that they both end up with half dozen or so each.  Could Smith have a 10 piece? Absolutely.   But I tend to shy away from that bold of a prediction. 

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  You can't have an interior who can't press a pocket, and also get gashed in the run game.  If you can't get both, you need to have one.

Limit the run first, generate more pass rush opportunities.  The inverse doesn't work, and allows teams with lesser talent at QB and skill positions to be competitive with teams they shouldn't be.  Look at how badly the Browns struggled in 2022 against marginal squads like ATL, NE, SD, N.O. etc etc. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Limit the run first, generate more pass rush opportunities.  The inverse doesn't work, and allows teams with lesser talent at QB and skill positions to be competitive with teams they shouldn't be.  Look at how badly the Browns struggled in 2022 against marginal squads like ATL, NE, SD, N.O. etc etc. 

I tend to agree.  History shows that DT's primary function is to stop between the tackle runs, or at minimum clog it up by taking on 2 blockers to allow a backer to make the stop near the LOS.

I will say I recall some comment by Schwartz saying he wants guys to stop the run while getting to the QB.  Maybe that is his way of saying he wants everything, but at least to me it sounds like he places an emphasis on up the middle pressure.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Young JoK had, 5 or 6 last year alone, I believe? I see no reason why that trend can't continue.  But as Houston showed, he still gets a bit lost in his coverage responsibilities at times which can lead to big busts. 

As for Zad V McGuire.  I think, given the increase in snap count I expect out of the latter, that they both end up with half dozen or so each.  Could Smith have a 10 piece? Absolutely.   But I tend to shy away from that bold of a prediction. 

Good points. Believe it or not, JOK had 3.5 sacks in 2023 (compared to 0 sacks in 2022 and 1.5 sacks in 2021) - so we definitely saw an improvement as well as a sneak preview of what he can be capable of with more opportunities and a better Dline up front.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I will say I recall some comment by Schwartz saying he wants guys to stop the run while getting to the QB.  Maybe that is his way of saying he wants everything, but at least to me it sounds like he places an emphasis on up the middle pressure.

Coaching philosophy - The backs are behind the QB, you're going after him and getting the running game along the way.  It's's a system and mentality built on downhill aggression and 1 gap disruption.

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Good points. Believe it or not, JOK had 3.5 sacks in 2023 (compared to 0 sacks in 2022 and 1.5 sacks in 2021) - so we definitely saw an improvement as well as a sneak preview of what he can be capable of with more opportunities and a better Dline up front.

Meh, I was a little off.    I'd suspect he might get more DPR opportunities as well.  While sacks are a nice stat, JoK still has work to put in rounding out his game as a complete off-ball LB.   Good news is, he has Roquan Smith right in this division that he gets to study AND see in person twice a year. 

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Meh, I was a little off.    I'd suspect he might get more DPR opportunities as well.  While sacks are a nice stat, JoK still has work to put in rounding out his game as a complete off-ball LB.   Good news is, he has Roquan Smith right in this division that he gets to study AND see in person twice a year. 

No biggy - I thought he had more than 3.5 as well.  More importantly, I like that Berry learned how much the IDL matters after that 2022 season to the extent he did something about it.  That changed everything last year!  Even better he drafted 2 DTs this year...