THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie Kosar has Parkinson's disease and may need a Liver Transplant

Yeah, saw this on Fox8 this morning. So sad.

I always felt Al Lerner used Bernie to get the ownership bid, then discarded him ASAP. 

The gamer of Gamers!... Go Bern... you can beat this...

Tough to see, but unfortunately not the most surprising result. There's not a definitive link, but more studies are starting to create a link from heavy alcohol abuse to Parkinson's. In addition to getting hit in the head for a living, sad to see him suffering so much.

Interestingly, this article seems to state his liver issues aren't necessarily due to the booze: https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-browns-qb-bernie-kosar-diagnosed-with-parkinsons-disease-also-likely-needs-liver-transplant-035423560.html. I'd find that hard to believe, but who knows I suppose. In any event, it's definitely another stark reminder in my life to slow it down some. This is roughly the 5th person in my hemisphere who faced serious liver issues- an awful way to live and potentially go out.

On 7/10/2024 at 1:49 PM, jrb12711 said:

Tough to see, but unfortunately not the most surprising result. There's not a definitive link, but more studies are starting to create a link from heavy alcohol abuse to Parkinson's. In addition to getting hit in the head for a living, sad to see him suffering so much.

Interestingly, this article seems to state his liver issues aren't necessarily due to the booze: https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-browns-qb-bernie-kosar-diagnosed-with-parkinsons-disease-also-likely-needs-liver-transplant-035423560.html. I'd find that hard to believe, but who knows I suppose. In any event, it's definitely another stark reminder in my life to slow it down some. This is roughly the 5th person in my hemisphere who faced serious liver issues- an awful way to live and potentially go out.

You can only take s many shots to the mind and body.. No way in hell at some point you come out unscathed.. No one does.... All the years of hard work I did started rearing its ugly head with back injuries and other anomalies.... We all have an expiration date.. But Bern was one tough Mfer.. Can't knock a man who gave his heart and body to a town and it's team...

Just saw something regarding Mickey Mantle, and how he also needed a liver transplant at the end of his life. 

He was only 63 when he passed away, about the same age as Bernie. 

What is so sad about this whole story is the fact that our  #19  Bernie Kosar  gave it    HIS ALL   every play,  every game,  year after year.    His tall  -but- under sized body  took an injury filled  BEATING  and now  he is paying for it.    ALL for his boyhood favorite team  ....THE CLEVELAND BROWNS ....

Let's hope he get's through all of this and can enjoy  both  1. His retirement.  -AND-   2. Get back to something he loves  football   in some way  -or-  at home watching it on  Tv like the rest of us retirees.

Good luck  #19 !     :D   And of course.     - GO BROWNS ! -

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bernie   " is "  still our  guy,  Ol'  # 19 !

berniekosar_jpeg_55c03b5bd56de18a56c09618d6d4d8d7.jpeg

cleveland-browns-qb-bernie-kosar-image-taken-color-slide-161296928.jpg

• mjp28 pinned this topic

~   AND   ~    well  .....

bernie-kosar-cleveland-browns-qb-image-taken-b-w-negative-74933725 (1).jpg

Bernie-Kosar-1.jpg

sad pumpkin.jpg

YA5LNXJK5NHJ3EJZSYQURYT46A.jpg.e29bfbcaa986db09927c843766be6792.jpg  <--  Thank you  Joe " Turkey "  Jones !

images (1).jpeg  <--▪︎  And of course our great other quarterbacks like  our   # 17  Brian Sipe.

• mjp28 unpinned this topic

I  definately like the classic pictures of those  old players  ....  especially the  BROWNS  Quaterbacks.

• Upvote 1