THE BROWNS BOARD

2024 Republican Platform Released

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Well I have serious doubts that #5 will happen, but it would be awesome if it did. Corporations screwed over average Americans by closing plants here  and taking them overseas, then blamed the workers for wanting decent wages.

There's lots of good points in that plan. They should have focused on those, instead of the Roe vs Wade over turn. The Dems tried giving the White House away & the Republicans basically said "no." 

I took some time and looked through the document linked in the article. I made a post a while back speculating on how the republican platform might evolve in the coming years. My thought was that they would take a different approach on issues like abortion and the environment, and maybe others. 

This seems to be a step in that direction. There’s very little mention of abortion. The article even states it’s an issue Trump wants to deemphasize.

And the verbiage they use on energy usage is along the lines of “we will unleash energy from all sources.” It makes no mention specifically of “green” energy sources like solar and wind, and l saw no mention of “global warming.” 

There is a mention that he plans to do away with the EV mandate, but otherwise he seems to be saying he’ll support production from all energy sources, including nuclear, which he did specifically mention. 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

This seems to be a step in that direction. There’s very little mention of abortion. The article even states it’s an issue Trump wants to deemphasize.

Do as I say, not as I do

Hard to try to convince folks of that shift when you're the reason Roe was overturned (and with the very clearly Christian influence within the party)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

What else is left to do? Roe v Wade was overturned and it's now an issue decided by the states. Ohio is basically a red state and still voted overwhelmingly to keep abortion rights. It was a losing issue for the GOP in 2022, and shockingly, they've shown they are capable of some introspection and have adapted. 

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

This seems to be a step in that direction. There’s very little mention of abortion.

Nor should there be. It's in the hands of the states where it always should have been.

8 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

What else is left to do? Roe v Wade was overturned and it's now an issue decided by the states. Ohio is basically a red state and still voted overwhelmingly to keep abortion rights. It was a losing issue for the GOP in 2022, and shockingly, they've shown they are capable of some introspection and have adapted. 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Nor should there be. It's in the hands of the states where it always should have been.

And, as we all know, Republicans don't exist at the state level ...

I'll believe actual actions (laws) over words on a page, especially when they contradict. They can make little mention of abortion and hope people forget, because it is a losing issue for them. That doesn't mean they won't stop pushing everything they can at the state level to continue to restrict access. 

25 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'll believe actual actions (laws) over words on a page, especially when they contradict. They can make little mention of abortion and hope people forget, because it is a losing issue for them. That doesn't mean they won't stop pushing everything they can at the state level to continue to restrict access. 

They tried that last year by trying to change the vote requirement for constitutional amendments from 50%+1 to a supermajority of 60%. They lost and it wasn't close. Then, abortion rights were enshrined into law by the same margin. If they continue to push the issue, they're going to lose influence. 

SCOTUS, the same one that overturned Roe v Wade, also ruled in favor of access to mifepristone, which you can get here at up to 10 weeks gestation. The only "restrictions" Ohio currently has on mifepristone are that it needs to be prescribed by a physician and can't just be purchased at the pharmacy. In my professional opinion, I would say it's a good idea for the state to require a consult with a physician before taking a medication that turns your uterine lining into mush. 

I'm pro-choice too, but I think our laws on the matter are in a decent place. 

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

And, as we all know, Republicans don't exist at the state level ...

Almost as if the people voted it that way...

9 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

Ohio is basically a red state and still voted overwhelmingly to keep abortion rights. It was a losing issue for the GOP in 2022, and shockingly, they've shown they are capable of some introspection and have adapted.

Which proves what they say all along, it belongs in the hands of the states. Anything to the contrary was fear mongering. It's not adapting if it was never their goal to outright ban abortion. There may be some hard liners but it's been disingenuous all along to paint the entire party as trying to fully ban abortion just because they wanted to throw out Roe vs Wade.

10 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

(and with the very clearly Christian influence within the party)

Your bigotry is noted.

1 hour ago, VaporTrail said:

They tried that last year by trying to change the vote requirement for constitutional amendments from 50%+1 to a supermajority of 60%. They lost and it wasn't close. Then, abortion rights were enshrined into law by the same margin. If they continue to push the issue, they're going to lose influence. 

SCOTUS, the same one that overturned Roe v Wade, also ruled in favor of access to mifepristone, which you can get here at up to 10 weeks gestation. The only "restrictions" Ohio currently has on mifepristone are that it needs to be prescribed by a physician and can't just be purchased at the pharmacy. In my professional opinion, I would say it's a good idea for the state to require a consult with a physician before taking a medication that turns your uterine lining into mush. 

I'm pro-choice too, but I think our laws on the matter are in a decent place. 

I agree (or at least hope) that if they continue to push the issue they'll lose influence. It isn't a popular stance (they have a few) and it's hurt them in the polls.

But we've also taken steps back in other states (admittedly, more conservative ones) on the issue. They're still fighting and they'll continue to fight. Just more quietly now it seems. Stack local governments and courts where no one actually votes. 

I think it is fundamentally a women's right, so restrictions in states other than mine are still within my country so it's not great. Personally I'd like to see this protected at a federal level. 

• Haha 1