THE BROWNS BOARD

The State of the 2024 Browns: Secondary

Flugel

We’re going to start this off talking about Cornerbacks.  One of them has serious game when he’s healthy.  The others are working at getting themselves some serious game under the tutelage of Cornerbacks Coach Brandon Lynch. Lynch has been with the Browns for 5 years; so his continuity with the personnel is a plus especially now that Jim Schwartz is the Defensive Coordinator. The Browns finished 2023 with 18 interceptions thanks in large to the men up front that Tia will be previewing in a couple of weeks.

Starters and Situational Rotation @ Cornerback: 

Denzel Ward.  This former Buckeye usually lines his 5’11” 190lb frame up at Left Corner or directly across from the best WR on the line of scrimmage.  He’s already earned 3 Pro Bowl selections before turning 27 years old in April.  When he’s healthy, the dynamic with him in the lineup sets our other Corners up with very doable matchups.  When he’s not healthy or able to play, none of the coverage matchups seem nearly as cozy. It was tough to watch them in consecutive road losses against the Broncos and Rams without Ward.  In the 13 games Ward played last season - he finished with 30 SOLO TKLs, 4 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 TFL, 1 FF, 2 INTs, 11 PBU (passes broken up).  He’s naughty on that field…

Martin Emerson Jr. Brought to us from Mississippi State - this young player has earned the right to continue to line up at Right Corner or across from the 2nd best WR on the line of scrimmage. The 6’2” 201lb Emerson led the team with 4 interceptions to go along with his 45 SOLO TKLs, 15 ASSISTED TKLs,  1 TFL, 14 PBU in just his second season with us last year.  He was a very pleasant surprise in round 3 in terms of how good he was immediately at press coverage on the line of scrimmage when Greg Newsome was injured.  In fact, he was so good at it as a rookie that Newsome never got his previous job back when he was able to return to the lineup. When Joey Porter Jr does all the same things - the commentators describing it all sound like they’ve been taking ecstasy. Creepey!

Greg Newsome II. As a 1st round draft pick out of Northwestern in 2021 - his journey has morphed him into our Nickel Corner covering Slot Receivers that don’t line up on the line of scrimmage.  That is a very challenging position facing guys with ideal change of direction and quickness when one is unable to body-up and jam them from where they line-up.   He might not be the speediest DB on the field; but I think he has handled the change pretty well for the most part. Newsome is also a very solid open field tackler at 6’0” 192 lbs.  When Ward was missing from the lineup, it was easy to see Newsome didn’t look nearly as comfortable and effective playing outside as he does inside in the Nickel. The Broncos and Rams exploited it last year.  In the playoffs, THE C.J. Stroud noticed on 1 pre-snap read that the Browns broke trend by lining Newsome up on the outside across from Nico Collins for an uncontested completion way down the field. On the other hand, when Newsome was back home on the inside – his pick 6 of Lamar Jackson in Baltimore was a gigantic part of the Browns comeback victory. In the 14 games Newsome played in 2023, he finished with 34 SOLO TKLs, 15 ASSISTED TKLs, 2 INTs, 1 TD, 14 PBU. Dorothy isn’t the only one repeating “There’s no place like home.”

Depth:  This is not a question of if they will play – but more of an understanding when they will play. GM Andrew Berry was a 4 year starter and 3-time All-Ivy League selection as a Corner; so he chooses to keep the inventory of Corners high in this passing era. 

Cameron Mitchell is a former teammate of Greg Newsome at Northwestern with a very similar frame at 5’11” 191lbs. The Browns drafted him in the 5th round last year.  Interestingly enough, in the games Newsome missed – Mitchell replaced him covering the slot receiver in nickel packages.  He also replaced Newsome in that role when Newsome had to replace Ward or Emerson due to injury.  As a rookie, he played pretty well in the 9 games he saw action in. He had 16 SOLO TKLs, 2 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 TFL, 1 SACK, 2 PBU.

Myles Harden was selected by the Browns in the 7th round out of South Dakota this year. Harden is yet another corner that is 5’11” tall in this preview and he weighs in at 195lbs. His 2023 stats on the college gridiron were 31 SOLO TKLs, 27 ASSISTED TKLs, 4 TFL, 1 FR, 1 INT, 7 PBU. He was an FCS All-American, 1st Team All-MVFC and voted Team Captain by his teammates.  He played mostly outside and occasionally over the slot.  However, South Dakota didn’t play very much man to man.  Good at blitzing, good tackler and takes on pulling linemen.  Nuff said – I’m intrigued…

DyShawn Gales is a recent free agent acquisition that played college football in the same state as Harden - only he played for the South Dakota State team.  He is 5’10”188lbs and rated as one of the top corners in FCS.  Gales started all 14 games for their National Championship team in 2022; and he was selected to the All-Missouri Valley Football Conference First Team in 2022. He also led that team with 4 INTs.  As the Team Captain in 2023, he had a total of 43 TKLs, 2 TFL, 0.5 SACKS, 1 FR, 2 INTs, 5 PBU.  One source lists him at 5’11” 190lbs. You don’t say. I feel like Rain Man repeating all this 5-11 stuff. 

Kahlef  Hailassie was a CFA with Kansas City in 2023 with very little playing time and stats to show for it.  Nevertheless, Andrew Berry wants to give this 6’1” 195lb Cornerback prospect an audition the length of training camp in Berea.  If all goes well, he either makes the practice squad or the regular season roster. 

Justin Hardee is 6’1” 200lbs and currently listed as a Cornerback.  However, he has also been a WR for 6 years.  All that said, his best NFL artwork is on Special Teams.  My gut tells me his commitment to excellence on Special Teams will continue in Cleveland where it will be greatly appreciated. 

Tony Brown II and his 6’0” 200lb frame played for Bubba Ventrone when he coached with the Colts.  Before that, Brown played DB for Nick Saban at Alabama until 2018. He brings experience to help our Special Teams in the manner Bubba wants it done.

Forecast Analysis and Grade for Cornerbacks:

In this passing era where play action passing games exploit defenses with lazy to substandard eye discipline; ineffective communication skills; lack of preparation; limited talent and/or pass rush ability – teams are throwing the ball more than ever.  In 2023, the Browns combated this by putting tremendous pressure on QBs to make life easier on those in coverage in the back tier.  Defensive rankings based on yardage yielded indicated the Cleveland Browns defense ranked #1 overall in 2023. The Defensive Coach (Jim Schwartz) who began his NFL career with the Browns in 1993 returned with an extensive coaching background to better organize the entire unit as the Defensive Coordinator. In doing so, he frequently put our Cornerbacks in the best possible situations for their skillsets. He also helped to improve their abilities to communicate, tackle, and know their assignments in every situation. Of course our fans will remember when they had an occasional bad day. They wouldn’t do that if they didn’t care right? My biggest worry with this unit is Ward will miss games to injury and how many will that be?  His dynamic means everything to the matchups in our last line of defense.  As much as I’d like to be a little more generous with this group I appreciate – I give the Cornerback position a Forecast Grade of B+

Shifting gears, let’s take a look at our Safety position. As a huge Eric Turner fan, I miss that kind of impact our king of sting so frequently delivered.  If you ever want to see Bill Belichick and Nick Saban remove an opponent’s biggest offensive weapon – just watch the Browns last playoff win in the 90s.  They put Eric Turner on NE's Pro Bowl TE and their number one prong of attack in the passing game; and he turned Ben Coates into Been Sleeping.  He shut him out. He was also a hard hitting, great tackler that receivers worried about.  He did it all. Anyway, good teams in this league usually have 2 reliable Safeties patrolling vulnerabilities in between the hashes.  With a Head Coach that was previously a two-time All-Ivy League Safety at the University of Pennsylvania who enjoyed playing on an undefeated team – nobody better understands what reliable safeties mean to winning.

Starters and Depth @ Safety:

Grant Delpit.  When the Browns are in 4-3 Base Grant Delpit is the Strong Safety. This 2nd round draft pick and former Jim Thorpe Award winner as the Nation’s best Defensive Back out of LSU was the very 1st Defensive Back that new hires Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski added in 2020. This was a highly decorated player the earned a Unanimous All-American honor as well as 2 All-SEC selections. In college, he was known as a hard hitter that needed better consistency at tackling. Those that did their research learned that this trend had a lot to do with Delpit’s return to action from a broken collar bone.  He also experienced some success with blitzing at LSU. We have seen this carry over to the Browns as well. Unfortunately, injuries have also carried over for this 6’3” 208lb Safety early on missing his entire rookie season from a torn Achilles Tendon.  In 2021, he bounced back with 43 SOLO TKLs, 23 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 SACK, 1 FF, 1 INT, 3 PBU in 15 games.  Here’s what he did in his 17 games played in 2022: 72 SOLO TKLs, 33 ASSISTED TKLs, 4 INTs, 10 PBU.  His 2023 season under DC Jim Schwartz in 13 games:  63 SOLO TKLs, 17 ASSISTED TKLs, 1.5 SACKS, 1 FR, 1 INT 3 PBU. 

I used to get really frustrated with Delpit’s vision on the field in front of him.  That disconnect along with the lack of communication in our secondary led to some huge plays for the opponents.  I said that to say this – I think Delpit has upped his game in the film room preparing for weekly opponents. More recently, he seems to have a better understanding of what is coming from various formations and downs and distances he’s looking at pre-snap.  He’s played with more confidence; and I dare say I like the improvements I’ve seen in his game.  I don’t want to jinx this progress – but I haven’t seen a play-action pass turn him into Wiley Coyote while some squid looking like the road runner catches an uncontested pass for an easy TD in a long time.  I’m not saying he still doesn’t have work to do; but I do like knowing what is possible if the Browns really tap what’s in this guy.  In that respect, it’s the same feeling I get with JOK.

Juan Thornhill. This is the 6’0” 205lb Free Safety in the 4-3 Base when the Browns are in it. The Browns were hoping to see the younger version of him before he got injured in KC.  Instead, they got the same guy trying to get back to that version that KC didn’t re-sign.  Here’s what he did, and perhaps didn’t do, in the 11 games he played in 2023: 41 SOLO TKLs, 13 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 PBU.  Maybe the 2nd year in this defense will lead to better pre-snap wisdom and quicker reaction.

Depth: Worth mentioning - the 2 guys (Berry & Stefanski) that are held accountable for this team’s record were both All-Ivy League DBs (more than once) have recently received hefty raises. 2 seasons with 11 wins between 2020 and 2023 give us a good idea why. The secondary is being developed the way they wanted it to be with sufficient talent and depth. Aside from all that, they get a lot of help from the Defensive Line up front hurrying passers to throw before they want to at the beneficiaries in our secondary.

Rodney McLeod Jr is only 5’10” 185lbs. Man, talk about putting 2 grapefruits in the Fruit of the Looms to play some NFL Safety for 12 years at that size.  He has played for the Rams, Eagles and Colts and started on some pretty good defenses.  Last year, he played 10 games and had 16 SOLO TKLs, 13 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 PBU.  It’s nice to have a professional like this that can show Thornhill how he continues to prepare…

D’Anthony Bell is a 6’1” 211lb previously Undrafted FA here entering his 3rd NFL season with the Browns.  In 2023, Bell started 4 games and performed admirably while Delpit was out with an injury.  He also appeared in 4 other games - 25 SOLO TKLS, 3 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 FF 2 INTs, 4PBU. The Browns are very pleased with what this former West Florida player has done with his NFL opportunity thus far. In fact, they rewarded him with a playoff start against a RED HOT C.J. Stroud; which probably didn’t feel very much like a reward by halftime. Since that game was an exception to the rule – it’s forgotten.  It doesn’t hurt Bell’s chances either when Andrew Berry is the one that found Bell.  Stay tuned?  Well yeah – why not?

Ronnie Hickman Jr is a 6’1” 209lb former Buckeye now playing in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns.  What’s not to like?  In 10 games in 2023, he had 17 SOLO TKLs, 8 ASSISTED TKLs, 1 INT, 1 TD, 3 PBU.  Not bad. The biggest concern with this guy is an occasional mental lapse that can come out of nowhere sometimes  – almost as if he’s an undiagnosed narcoleptic. He's got NFL experience under his belt; which is a positive.  It'll be interesting to see what happens here.  

Forecast Analysis and Grade for Safeties:

Ephraim Banda enters his 2nd year of coaching the Safeties in Cleveland. He has a talented group of young players competing for starting jobs and playing time as well as a shot at Special Teams responsibilities.  The good news is our Safeties will have talented, experienced Corners lining up outside of them and an aggressive pass rush upfront pressuring passers. We have 2 very talented young Safeties ready to take their game to the next level; and there’s good depth and solid coaching here pushing them to do so. Like always, the monkey wrench to great expectations is injuries as we look no further than last year to confirm this. At this time I give the Safety position a Forecast Grade of B-

If you made it this far, thank you!  Now it’s your turn to tell us what you think of the 2024 forecast for the Cornerbacks and Safeties of this team.  You can do that by answering any or all of the following questions or just give us your free style “world according to me” in this thread.

What Browns Corner do you think will have the most interceptions?  How many?

What Browns Corner do you think will have the least interceptions?  How many?

What Browns Corner will have the best all-around season?  Why

What Browns Corner do you think could be the biggest pleasant surprise nobody saw coming?

What Browns Corner will make the most tackles?  Score the most TDs?

What Browns Safety do you think will have the most interceptions?  How many?

What Browns Safety do you think will have the least interceptions?  How many?

What Browns Safety will have the best all-around season?  Why

What Browns Safety do you think could be the biggest pleasant surprise nobody saw coming?

What Browns Safety will make the most tackles?  Score the most TDs?

Besides injuries, what worries you most about the Browns Corners or Safeties?

How many interceptions does the Browns secondary make combined? 

How many interceptions do the Browns Corners combine to make?

How many interceptions do the Browns Safeties combine to make?

Edited by Flugel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

The DLine and Secondary are connected at the hip.

The Secondary has to be good enough to cover the receivers long enough for the DLine to pressure the QB.  And the DLine has to pressure the QB SOONISH as no DB's are going to be able to cover the field while a QB gets to stand and survey all of the receivers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic write up. 

I’m definitely looking for good things from Ward. And l’m pulling for Kahlef Hailassie, because if Timmy falls down the well, that’s the dude l’m calling. 

Greg Newsome has fantastic hair. I think at times it makes his head look big with a helmet on because he has so much hair. I dig it.

IMG_1249.webp

IMG_1250.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

The DLine and Secondary are connected at the hip.

The Secondary has to be good enough to cover the receivers long enough for the DLine to pressure the QB.  And the DLine has to pressure the QB SOONISH as no DB's are going to be able to cover the field while a QB gets to stand and survey all of the receivers.

Agreed - well said!   The stand and survey types like the cerebral and highly accurate cement shoe'd Bernie Kosar seem to be getting phased out with the joystick mobile guys.  Some perceived stand and survey types like Marino and Brady had a lot of defensive players commenting that they were are lot more difficult to sack than it looks like they'd be.  Bruce Smith used to say he and his defensive teammates found Marino was the toughest guy to sack.  He said on a Rochester sports radio show back in the day that Marino doesn't have a blind side.  He'd say every time you think you're closing in on him - he knows exactly where to step out of the way in any direction at the last possible second.  Rumor had it Brady was the same type of matador without a blind side. Not a scrambler per say - but a side step/back step/quick step forward at the final split second to make the pass rusher miss and make the throw.  Those unique assets/intangibles can wreak havoc on a secondary.  The Browns not only have to deal with Lamar Jackson twice a year - now they'll also have Russell Wilson and/or Justin Fields to contain.  When the Browns went out to Denver last year - that wasn't as easy as they thought it would be with Wilson.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Fantastic write up. 

I’m definitely looking for good things from Ward. And l’m pulling for Kahlef Hailassie, because if Timmy falls down the well, that’s the dude l’m calling. 

Greg Newsome has fantastic hair. I think at times it makes his head look big with a helmet on because he has so much hair. I dig it.

IMG_1249.webp

IMG_1250.jpeg

😆 That probably feels like an extra pad of protection; but that's going to be really freakin hot inside the helmet in the type of heat they practice in during training camp.

• Haha 1

Not that you need another 2 cents from me - but you're gonna get it anyway. When looking at all the guys auditioning for spots on this team - I found myself asking who is going to be the next Leigh Bodden out of a little known college football program at Duquesne (pronounced Do-cane)? He was an undrafted 6'1"185lb Corner that came to training camp in 2003 and made the team. It was like a football version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - some kid from East Tuesday ends up with the winning ticket. He developed so well he eventually became a reliable starter who played in Cleveland for 6 years and drew interest from other teams.  Bill Belichick later signed him in NE; but an ankle injury he had in Cleveland never stopped re-aggravating itself.  When we look at the names, heights, weights, and college programs of all these prospects, one never really knows what guy is going to turn himself into that winning ticket - so it'll be interesting to see what unfolds.  

Okay, it's obvious this thread needs something a little more exciting than this old man's takes on Defensive Backs - so I found a story worth sharing as written on the Browns website.  https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/martin-emerson-jr-leans-into-spirit-of-an-eagle-as-he-prepares-for-third-season-with-the-browns

Martin Emerson Jr. leans into spirit of an eagle as he prepares for third season with the Browns

Emerson played an integral role in Browns’ defensive success during the 2023 season

Jun 24, 2024 at 10:54 AM

23_WEB_HEADSHOT_KELSEYRUSSO

Kelsey Russo

Staff Writer

As CB Martin Emerson Jr. wrapped up his Browns media day session, he wanted one last picture with a special piece of jewelry. He pulled out a chain with a pendant of an eagle's head, clasped it around his neck and posed.

The eagle holds a certain significance to Emerson. It first started with the mascot of his high school, Pine Forest High School, in Pensacola, Fla. Yet, its meaning extends past the connection to his high school.

"The top of the food chain is the eagle, and only eagles fly with certain eagles," Emerson said. "So, I just look at myself as an eagle."

That mentality shapes his outlook as he enters his third season with the Browns and in the league. He played an important role in the secondary's success during the 2023 season, as he led the team with four interceptions for 24 yards and tied the team lead with 14 passes defended. Emerson also recorded 59 tackles, one tackle for loss and started 12 of the 16 games he played in during the 2023 season.

Yet, he didn't always play on the defensive side of the ball. When Emerson was in high school, he dreamed of playing quarterback or wide receiver. But his head coach Jason McDonald had different plans. McDonald moved Emerson to the secondary, and specifically to cornerback.

The switch paid off.

Emerson said a few weeks later, he began receiving college offers. Emerson committed to Mississippi State and played three seasons with the Bulldogs, where he tallied 154 tackles, six tackles for loss, one interception, 16 pass breakups and one forced fumble.

"I tell him to this day, 'I appreciate you; you saw it in me,'" Emerson said. "And I'm thankful that I made that switch."

The Browns then drafted Emerson in the third round of the 2022 NFL Draft. Now in his third year in the NFL, he wants to take the next step – both individually and as a team.

"I feel like each year I show tremendous improvement," Emerson said. "But there's also places in my game where I can just get better. This year, I want to come and build off last year. The sky's the limit when I think about this group. I just want to take it to our full potential and just reach our full potential because we work so hard. We put in the work, and I just want to show the world that the Browns are a contender."

With that goal in mind, Emerson said he focused his offseason on flexibility and speed, building up his wind for the regular season. He also worked closely with veteran cornerback Denzel Ward during the offseason. Ward said Emerson was on his hip throughout the spring and summer months, learning from and spending time with Ward.

Emerson traveled to Florida and stayed with Ward to train. Ward had opened the invitation to all the Browns corners to come visit and train with him, and Emerson took him up on his offer. Ward said they worked out every day together, focusing on their techniques and lifting.

Over the three days of minicamp, Emerson displayed that speed in his ability to defend and break up passes. He broke up a pass intended for TE David Njoku during a 7-on-7 red zone drill on the final day of camp, as well as tightly defended a reception made by WR Cedric Tillman in the end zone.

Cornerbacks coach Brandon Lynch saw a level of consistency from Emerson throughout OTAs and minicamp, which impressed him.

"I know that we talk a lot about versatility, but really consistency and being available," Lynch said. "He's an extremely tough young guy who's accountable. He's resilient to the details, and he shows it on display."

The Browns have a talented cornerback room led by Ward and Greg Newsome II. Yet, Emerson has developed over the last two seasons to play an important role as he's learned from the veterans in the room. And Ward sees potential for Emerson as he steps into his third season with the Browns.

"He's a special player," Ward said. "Got high talent, physical player, tall. I mean, he's got the capability of achieving a lot of things in his league, like being an All-Pro type of player and a number one corner."

Great analysis. Thanks for the research, effort and time it took to put this together @Flugel.

I'll admit, as a former interior OL, my focus when watching games is always the LOS and the box. To steal a phrase from past coaches, I only notice the secondary when something really good or something really bad happens. 

That being said, this Browns secondary is, in my opinion, the best since Frank Minnifield and Hanford Dixon. The original Dawgs! I do agree that we have our best player in the secondary in Denzel Ward since Eric Turner (gone too soon).

The secondary nicely compliments the DL and we all know how they work hand in hand.

As a team, it would be awesome to lead the league's defenses in sacks and INTs! 

Living in Colts' Country, I see similarities in the value of a single player. The Colts defense of the late 2000s was a completely different animal when Bob Sanders (Erie, PA/Iowa) was on the field than when he was not. The Browns defense and secondary is a completely different animal when Denzel Ward is on the field. Ward needs to stay healthy - whatever it takes.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm also not living under a rock. I hope the Browns Defensive Staff is learning, growing and soaking up as much knowledge as possible from Jim Schwartz. I know last year he said he wasn't interested in being an HC again, but time, flattery and money can change opinions...easily. Hopefully, there is a plan just in case!

Three weeks and a day from training camp so I'll recite the first cheer my Dad (also gone too soon) taught me. Say it with me because you know the words.

"HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! (HOO HOO!) HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! (HOO HOO!)"

Edited by AP1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AP1 said:

As a team, it would be awesome to lead the league in sacks and INTs! 

Well, we were 6th in Sacks last year.....and 3rd (5-way tie) in INT's.   But we were 21st in sacks allowed and dead last in INT's thrown.  We had some rather poor QB play last year which accounts for some of those negative stats, but the OL has to come together (and stay together, please) and protect the QB better this year.

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

Well, we were 6th in Sacks last year.....and 3rd (5-way tie) in INT's.   But we were 21st in sacks allowed and dead last in INT's thrown.  We had some rather poor QB play last year which accounts for some of those negative stats, but the OL has to come together (and stay together, please) and protect the QB better this year.

I amended. I meant strictly defensive stats.

My bad on the confusion.

Fully agreed on your OL take.

9 hours ago, AP1 said:

Great analysis. Thanks for the research, effort and time it took to put this together @Flugel.

I'll admit, as a former interior OL, my focus when watching games is always the LOS and the box. To steal a phrase from past coaches, I only notice the secondary when something really good or something really bad happens. 

That being said, this Browns secondary is, in my opinion, the best since Frank Minnifield and Hanford Dixon. The original Dawgs! I do agree that we have our best player in the secondary in Denzel Ward since Eric Turner (gone too soon).

The secondary nicely compliments the DL and we all know how they work hand in hand.

As a team, it would be awesome to lead the league in sacks and INTs! 

Living in Colts' Country, I see similarities in the value of a single player. The Colts defense of the late 2000s was a completely different animal when Bob Sanders (Erie, PA/Iowa) was on the field than when he was not. The Browns defense and secondary is a completely different animal when Denzel Ward is on the field. Ward needs to stay healthy - whatever it takes.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm also not living under a rock. I hope the Browns Defensive Staff is learning, growing and soaking up as much knowledge as possible from Jim Schwartz. I know last year he said he wasn't interested in being an HC again, but time, flattery and money can change opinions...easily. Hopefully, there is a plan just in case!

Three weeks and a day from training camp so I'll recite the first cheer my Dad (also gone too soon) taught me. Say it with me because you know the words.

"HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! (HOO HOO!) HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO! (HOO HOO!)"

Thank you AP1!  Much appreciated and glad you liked it!  From 1 former interior offensive lineman to another, as important as the secondary is - I rarely ever spend much time dissecting it during the seasons.  I tried to get some names out there for us to get a little acquainted with before training camp starts in a few weeks aside from the ones we already know.  I'm really looking forward to football season as always.  I think we can take that next step if the injury volume doesn't get quite as out of control as it did last year.  

Edited by Flugel
typos
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AP1 said:

I meant strictly defensive stats.

I knew that (no, my bad :) )....and I thought that was pretty good, but always room for improvement...then I thought of the offensive side of the ball and how those numbers  would be on the other side of the spectrum.  

5 hours ago, AP1 said:

The Browns defense and secondary is a completely different animal when Denzel Ward is on the field. Ward needs to stay healthy

Hospital Ward as ballpeen calls him.  We can pretty much count on him being injured and out for about 4 games...but I think the secondary has been better poised, personnel wise, to weather the storm of his absence than in the past.  But we certainly need Ward & Garrett on the field!  Just like we need Watson, Conklin / Dewand Jones, Wills and Chubb on offense.  We need to have some luck with the injury bug.  We need our starters on the field.

• Upvote 1

Enthusiastic write up, bubs.   Again, I know how much time this takes and I appreciate those efforts. 

Even though there is talent and ability, for me, DB is home.  So I suppose I'm a bit more bullish on this group than most. 

The secondary, as a whole and individually, were undressed by Houston, top to bottom. While there are several concerns I have, safety situation is the most concerning.  The biggest of those concerns being Delpit having possibly reached his mental ceiling on the field. 

His lapses in coverage and in run fits are a huge issue, and there are two seasons of film on it now.   For all that he does good and great, there is an equal amount that can be exploited. 

The rest, in order. 

- Depth behind Grant and Juan

- Emerson's physical abilities vs formation constraints 

- Newsome not fulfilling his potential as the possible#1 CB on this roster. 

For all the hope, I have reservations. Because this schedule is going to test this group far beyond what they got the first half of last year's season. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The secondary, as a whole and individually, were undressed by Houston, top to bottom.

while I am  not going to entirely disagree, It didn't help that we didn't come close to getting any pressure on Stroud, as i remember we didn't come close to even getting one sack. So it is pretty easy and near sighted to put all the blame on the secondary.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Enthusiastic write up, bubs.   Again, I know how much time this takes and I appreciate those efforts. 

Even though there is talent and ability, for me, DB is home.  So I suppose I'm a bit more bullish on this group than most. 

The secondary, as a whole and individually, were undressed by Houston, top to bottom. While there are several concerns I have, safety situation is the most concerning.  The biggest of those concerns being Delpit having possibly reached his mental ceiling on the field. 

His lapses in coverage and in run fits are a huge issue, and there are two seasons of film on it now.   For all that he does good and great, there is an equal amount that can be exploited. 

The rest, in order. 

- Depth behind Grant and Juan

- Emerson's physical abilities vs formation constraints 

- Newsome not fulfilling his potential as the possible#1 CB on this roster. 

For all the hope, I have reservations. Because this schedule is going to test this group far beyond what they got the first half of last year's season. 

No worries T.  I appreciate your feedback all the same.  I can't really argue anything you said at this point.  

6 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The secondary, as a whole and individually, were undressed by Houston, top to bottom.

Yup.  Our D was no match for them in that playoff game.  And our offense kept giving them the ball...and points.  Basically a crash landing to our season.