THE BROWNS BOARD

The State of the 2024 Browns: Quarterbacks

38 minutes ago, Orion said:

Sure he's hated in Houston...but I don't know how much the rest of the NFL gives him a 2nd thought anymore.  As for the Browns fans that don't like him / hate him, it's up to them to find a way through this.  Perhaps they take a hiatus from the Browns / football until his time in Cleveland is over.  Me, I don't particularly like him.  And I've played team sports with a guy (or 2) that I didn't particularly like...but that means nothing when you're playing the game.  At that point it's more like war...and they're on your side.  And even if you don't like him, if he's good, you don't want him traded.

Having said that, if the guy doesn't play well (or just plain stinks), then that's a different way to 'not like him'.  And if that's the case then I don't care if the guy is Tim Tebow (an honest to God good guy), I'd want him off the team.  

My point regarding that is that most players, regardless of sport, don't like being "the bad guy". 

Most players aren't built to be Bill Laimbeer or Draymond Green...

It can affect players. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

My point regarding that is that most players, regardless of sport, don't like being "the bad guy".   True.  But some cherish it.

Most players aren't built to be Bill Laimbeer or Draymond Green...

It can affect players.  Yeah, it can affect good guys.

My current opinion of Watson is that he doesn't fit either category.  He doesn't revel in being the bad guy.  And I don't think he has the sense to feel the self disappointment that an actual good guy would feel.  I think that he feels that if people don't like him for what he's done, then it's their job to get over it.  And in reality, it is.   I mean, guys aren't brought to our team to sing in the church choir.  -  Many years ago I was talking to the company VP and his wife at a company picnic.  He told me that they knew Bill Nelson.  He said that he really wasn't a super nice guy.  But his wife chimed in and said, actually he was kind of an ass.  The kind of sad, bottom line for us is can he play well and win football games.

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 5:01 PM, Orion said:

As for the Browns fans that don't like him / hate him, it's up to them to find a way through this.

Hey! I'm in that boat. I don't care at all about what he did off the field. If Chairman Mao could rush for 2000 yards, I'd be calling for us to draft him. Problem is that I don't think his shoulder is ever going to be the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2024 at 11:19 PM, Orion said:

My current opinion of Watson is that he doesn't fit either category.  He doesn't revel in being the bad guy.  And I don't think he has the sense to feel the self disappointment that an actual good guy would feel.  I think that he feels that if people don't like him for what he's done, then it's their job to get over it.  And in reality, it is.   I mean, guys aren't brought to our team to sing in the church choir.  -  Many years ago I was talking to the company VP and his wife at a company picnic.  He told me that they knew Bill Nelson.  He said that he really wasn't a super nice guy.  But his wife chimed in and said, actually he was kind of an ass.  The kind of sad, bottom line for us is can he play well and win football games.

That "Yeah, it can affect good guys."  you added to Dutch's comment had me spittin up coffee...

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

That "Yeah, it can affect good guys."  you added to Dutch's comment had me spittin up coffee...

lol....sorry....as long as it didn't come out your nose.  :)  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I just saw this myself and read the little blurb in the Athletic about it. They’re speculating they may try to trade for an experienced OLineman.

I would rather trade Huntly and keep DTR. But if we tried to stash him on the PS. would he make it through waivers ?

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't trade DTR unless some team is over paying. 5 year starter in college, a few games started his rookie year. 

Here's hoping Watson plays well and they don't have to rely on any backups.

5 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I wouldn't trade DTR unless some team is over paying.

4 hours ago, syd said:

if we traded him now we would be getting pennies on the dollar for him.

OK...but what are you going to do with him?  

We have 4 QB's on the team.  Who stays?  Who goes?  

20 minutes ago, Orion said:

I dunno ? I hear Watson's  throwing shoulder is sore and may not play vs seattle. What happens in a few weeks when we face dallas ? can Watson play ? 

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Huntley could be the trade bait. More experience. Won games with the Ratbirds. 

How much value in a trade, maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder? I don't really know 

9 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Huntley could be the trade bait.

OK...but my question still stands.  What are you going to do with DTR?   I mean, it's either you cut him or you carry 3 QB's on the roster.

25 minutes ago, Orion said:

OK...but my question still stands.  What are you going to do with DTR?   I mean, it's either you cut him or you carry 3 QB's on the roster.

Carry 3, with Watson's sore arm, I'm sure they will.

I don't think DTR or Huntley can be hidden on the practice squad. They'd be gobbled up by some team for sure.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I don't think DTR or Huntley can be hidden on the practice squad. They'd be gobbled up by some team for sure.

Probably right.  DTR might be viewed as having a 'potentially' high ceiling at this point in time.  

But carrying 3 QB's is not something that the Browns like to do.  The vast majority of teams only carry 2.  The Browns may have to leave that vast majority this year if they value DTR.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Probably right.  DTR might be viewed as having a 'potentially' high ceiling at this point in time.  

But carrying 3 QB's is not something that the Browns like to do.  The vast majority of teams only carry 2.  The Browns may have to leave that vast majority this year if they value DTR.  

I think being a GM or head coach in this salary cap era is real tough. Probably always was.

Yeah, 3 QBs seems excessive. They have to triage that vs # of linemen or DBs to carry. Not easy.

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

I think being a GM or head coach in this salary cap era is real tough. Probably always was.

Yeah, 3 QBs seems excessive. They have to triage that vs # of linemen or DBs to carry. Not easy.

I agree with your first point, wholeheartedly.

Three QBs may seem excessive, until Joe Flacco has to get pulled off the couch the third week of November and helps lead the 2023 Browns to the playoffs.

• Thanks 1

Vikings Waive New QB, Potentially Make Room For Cleveland Browns QB

The Minnesota Vikings announced that they waived quarterback Matt Corral on Monday. Could this open the door for a potential move with the Cleveland Browns?

52 minutes ago, Orion said:

Vikings Waive New QB, Potentially Make Room For Cleveland Browns QB

The Minnesota Vikings announced that they waived quarterback Matt Corral on Monday. Could this open the door for a potential move with the Cleveland Browns?

Sad because Corral has pretty damn good arm talent... If he could just get his head out of ass he might be something but ,.... It's probably too late

On 8/21/2024 at 7:42 PM, Orion said:

I hope this isn't another one of those "yeah, we can get another one of these very special gotta have 7th round picks for him that we have starting all over on our roster."

If he's a promising 2nd year QB that's showing progress in his mechanics, deep throw accuracy and ability to speed read the progressions - he's an investment worth further nurturing and protection.  

Winston is only here for 1 year while if someone can give me a strong argument that Watson will give us more than 6 starts this time OR Huntley is a better guy to keep than DTR - I'm all eyes and ears...  

The fact that this is probably being strongly being considered up as high as the ownership should assure everyone in here that this OWNERSHIP would have written off a great QB like Josh Allen during the brief, but inevitable growing pains. Yeah, they would have totally F---ed that up. The difference between this franchise and all the other franchises in our division that have participated in Super Bowls is not just the ability to draft the right QB - it's the ability to have the right staff here when you bring in your dream guy.  They didn't even do this for Watson.  They're still trialing and erroring what might work with these new coaches. Last year Musgrave was going to be the final piece of the offensive coaching staff puzzle.  Bernie was the last GREAT QB this franchise drafted but it took a SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT to do that. Next to Bernie, the other fan favorite was 13th round pick Brian Sipe in 1972.  He was on something they called the Taxi Squad (in lieu of practice squad) back in 1972 and 1973.  He had some infrequent game action in 74 and 75. He eventually became the starter in 76.  If THIS owner was here back then, he would have traded Sipe in his 2nd year for another 13th round pick if a little more growth, development and experience was required.  

For God sakes, if we can't decide if a 7th round pick is a better investment than DTR - we're wasting a ton of time on this ownership's product.  I think Heaven above or Divine Intervention is even trying to help here.  What other QB wore #17 on his jersey here?   Is that same QB still the only NFL MVP this franchise has had in the last 50+ years?  Even if my intuition about DTR is wrong - we're not about to see the very best of Winston or Huntley either.  The 1 year contract for Crablegs pretty much means the Browns will have to decide if DTR is worth more than a 7th round pick. Maybe all I really need to do is hope I'm wrong about another QB again...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Flugel said:

we can get another one of these very special gotta have 7th round picks for him

LOL........yeah, I just don't see the 7th round pick value that Berry does.  :)  On a draft value chart 7th round picks are worth next to nothing.  Maybe Berry wants to replenish the 7th round pick that he traded to the Bears with the DE that had just gotten 2 sacks for a 6th round pick.  

Having said that, the DE (Williams?) wasn't going to make the team (our DE room is currently pretty strong).  So, for a guy who was going to get cut, and not clear waivers, Berry turned a 7th round pick into a 6th...from a team that will hopefully be picking at a higher spot than we would be (hopefully!).  

I wouldn't take less than the round DTR was drafted in for him (5th).  At this point he hasn't tarnished his potential ceiling outlook enough to give him away for peanuts.  But that all depends on what Berry & Stef think of him.  We're not in the meetings, or watching practices.  If they think that he's never going to be much more than a #3 QB...well...he'll be on today's list of cuts...or will get traded for that 'gotta have' 7th round pick.  :)   

I don't think anyone would trade for Huntley.  If I wanted him for my team, I'd wait until after he's cut and take a shot at the waiver wire.  If someone else grabs him, the just wait until they put him on their PS and get him then.   

On 8/20/2024 at 10:52 PM, Orion said:

If teams are inquiring about DTR then the only way to keep him will be to carry 3 QB's.  

I don't think that keeping less than 3 qbs was ever an option.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

I hope this isn't another one of those "yeah, we can get another one of these very special gotta have 7th round picks for him that we have starting all over on our roster."

I don't think that would happen. 

I am not as high on DTR as some of you.  He reminds me of Tyrod Taylor or maybe Colt McCoy.  He isn't a Seneca Wallace or Chuck Fry, but he's not the guy you want leading your team.

Add in the fact the general consensus is we can't play him this year, why keep him as a 3rd QB?.  Huntley has proven he at least could take the field this year.  He has done it before.

My question is are we trying to win this year?  The answer is simple IMO.  Trade DTR if the offer is decent.

Oh, let's forget this thought that 3 QB's is excessive.  It's the most important position on the field.  What the hell are we talking about here?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Oh, let's forget this thought that 3 QB's is excessive.  It's the most important position on the field.  What the hell are we talking about here?

I agree.  But traditionally, the Browns only keep 2 QB's.  And then sign a bum to the PS.  'Perhaps' this year we keep 3.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I don't think that would happen. 

I am not as high on DTR as some of you.  He reminds me of Tyrod Taylor or maybe Colt McCoy.  He isn't a Seneca Wallace or Chuck Fry, but he's not the guy you want leading your team.

Add in the fact the general consensus is we can't play him this year, why keep him as a 3rd QB?.  Huntley has proven he at least could take the field this year.  He has done it before.

My question is are we trying to win this year?  The answer is simple IMO.  Trade DTR if the offer is decent.

Believe it or not, I like a lot of your points above.  I can't blame anyone for their first impressions of DTR lasting.  Sipe came to us in round 13 because most of the league thought he had a weak arm.  Perhaps that stayed true for the 1st year or 2.  That said, the guy took his professional craft seriously.  Why the comparison of them from me this early?  I saw some throws DTR made in Seattle the other night that he couldn't simply make last year.  I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm just telling you how I arrived at my feeling.  

• Like 1

One thing I'll say about DTR is that he's got heart.  He wants to do well for his team...not so much for himself.  He took his first start loss pretty hard.  And the next game he played, in the latter part of the 4th quarter he felt that he let the team down again and that they were going to lose again because of him.  We saw him literally crying on the sideline.  He knew that the rest of the team was good enough for a super bowl run.  I forget exactly how right now but we ended up winning the game.  He was quite thankful that the team won but he wasn't taking any of the credit.  - You've gotta root for a guy like that.  Therefore I wish the best for him.  Whether it's with us or another team (except an AFC North team).  :)    He's wearing a good QB number for us.....so I hope he stays.  :) 

--------

Just read somewhere that DTR's been told that he's gonna be on the 53 man roster.