THE BROWNS BOARD

Staying Put (and Outdoors) or Dome Sweet Dome in the 'Burbs?

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Thanks for the info.  I was pretty sure 5000 ft wasn't long enough for large commercial jets.  I knew that most major airports have runways in the 10,000 ft length.

Just looking, Burke has a runway that runs out to 6400  t. so a primary doesn't have to be out over 8000 feet.  Again, just looking at google maps, I don't see where Cuyahoga has room to lengthen the runway even another 1000 feet.

Who knows, maybe 5000 ft works?

It depends on is it primarily for ...  a) General aviation the  "fun" fliers.  (like your weekend fliers and similar smaller planes)   -or-  b) Commercial service, like tower hights, etc.  (much more  FAA  and other stipulations .... bigger planes -and-  airport lengths, etc.)  

We have several  general aviation pilots in our neighborhood.    I enjoy reading up on this stuff.

On 4/1/2024 at 7:31 AM, ballpeen said:

The only logical answer is to go dome in Brookpark.

There are sentimental reasons to stay downtown, but sentimental reason usually makes for poor business decisions.  There are multiple reasons why the move should be made over staying put and going with the band-aide approach.

Thought I'd drop by...  Though my personal opinion is a billion dollar upgrade to First Energy is my preference (sort of like Ohio State built a shell around the old Horseshoe) I have a feeling it's going to be a dome out in Brookpark. Muni Lot tailgate- RIP.  With my 3 hour drive up north, the location really doesn't matter, but I'm not a dome fan. (and I've been to several) 

As I've said many times- if you like the ambiance of a domed game, buy a widescreen TV, and watch the game in your living room. You'll save yourself a ton of money. 

On 4/15/2024 at 5:30 PM, Orion said:

Some fans had to have amputations after the Chiefs playoff game this year.  The game was not invented / intended as a winter sport.  But games are being played practically into mid-winter.  

The above is a great point. The Browns 1964 Championship game was played in mid December. Now, the playoffs extend well into January, with the Super Bowl in February. I feel for those Chiefs fans who lost body parts in that froze bowl, but it doesn't have to be that way IF you know how to dress for the weather.  With my mountaineering and cold weather camping experience- it does involve spending plenty of $$$ on cold weather gear. Yeah, I know- it sounds crazy, but you CAN be pretty comfy in sub zero wind chills.  

Couple final thoughts... 

1) Dome schmome... The Bills new stadium isn't going to be a dome, and hell will freeze over before the citizens built a dome to replace Lambeau up in Green Bay- both cities with arguably worse weather than Cleveland in January.  & i haven't heard an uproar in Kansas City to replace Arrowhead either.  

2) Should the Browns go the dome route- they're probably going to price me out of my season tickets. Especially if they try to gouge us season ticket holders more extortion to renew our PSLs in the new place.  :(  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

1) Dome schmome... The Bills new stadium isn't going to be a dome, and hell will freeze over before the citizens built a dome to replace Lambeau up in Green Bay- both cities with arguably worse weather than Cleveland in January.  & i haven't heard an uproar in Kansas City to replace Arrowhead either.  

There absolutely has been talk this off-season of either radically renovating Arrowhead or replacing it. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Thought I'd drop by...  Though my personal opinion is a billion dollar upgrade to First Energy is my preference (sort of like Ohio State built a shell around the old Horseshoe) I have a feeling it's going to be a dome out in Brookpark. Muni Lot tailgate- RIP.  With my 3 hour drive up north, the location really doesn't matter, but I'm not a dome fan. (and I've been to several) 

As I've said many times- if you like the ambiance of a domed game, buy a widescreen TV, and watch the game in your living room. You'll save yourself a ton of money. 

The above is a great point. The Browns 1964 Championship game was played in mid December. Now, the playoffs extend well into January, with the Super Bowl in February. I feel for those Chiefs fans who lost body parts in that froze bowl, but it doesn't have to be that way IF you know how to dress for the weather.  With my mountaineering and cold weather camping experience- it does involve spending plenty of $$$ on cold weather gear. Yeah, I know- it sounds crazy, but you CAN be pretty comfy in sub zero wind chills.  

Couple final thoughts... 

2) Should the Browns go the dome route- they're probably going to price me out of my season tickets. Especially if they try to gouge us season ticket holders more extortion to renew our PSLs in the new place.  :(  

There probably won't be PSL's in the new stadium.  The team has been getting away from those  for 10 years now.  Even if they do, our PSL's are for the current stadium.  I haven't read the language of the PSL in some time, but I doubt the PSL I hold will have any transfer rights to the new stadium. And if so, it won't be for similar seats.  I won't be able to just settle in to Club Seats and you won't be able to settle in to your lower bowl seats on an even trade.  I understand the frustration, but it seems foolish to question that you aren't going to be hit with a $8000 to $12,000 increase in your PSL if by chance you are offered a transfer.

Plus, face it, by the time all of this comes down, we probably won't be going to many games.    If we hadn't had this resurgence, I would probably not hold season tickets this year.

And come on, I don't agree that watching a Browns game in a dome is the same as watching on TV.

As for the PSL's, I never bought them thinking of them as some sort of investment or getting my money back.  I can't remember if I paid $1500 per seat or $2000 per seat.  That money was spent 17 years ago.  That money is gone as far as i am concerned.  I am not going to jump through hoops trying to recoup a fairly insignificant amount of money.

One last point,  I can't speak for some of the KC fans, but I know how to dress for weather.  I have all sorts of warm weather gear and rated boots.  It still gets way cold.

Being anti dome is being anti Cleveland. All because of some misguided sense of masculinity. A dome is easily the best option for our city's economy. We can't have a massive investment sitting a huge portion of the year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

All because of some misguided sense of masculinity.

I just don't see how it can be put any better than that.

.......and get rid of those damned sideline heaters too!  Ahh the days of Bud Grant and the Minnesota Vikings...That's when men were men!  :)  

• Haha 1