THE BROWNS BOARD

189 day's till The Browns kick★off ... the regular ♠︎ season.

syd

18 hours ago, Orion said:

...look at him runnin' with that thing!  :)  

Yeah,  an old time  hard-azz  football player. ....  for sure !

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

My guess?  The QB that threw it to him

...could be.  Does he have any career receptions?   I was thinking perhaps a fumble recovery...

4 hours ago, Orion said:

...could be.  Does he have any career receptions?   I was thinking perhaps a fumble recovery...

I wish that's what I meant before it disappeared.  Even though the write-up was right in front of me - for some reason I still thought he played LBer. He was a little before my attention span allowed me to start following this team. I was 7 years old when he played his final season in 1971 - the only names I remembered at that point were the guys that touched the ball the most (Bill Nelsen and Leroy Kelly). 

1 year later (1972), I started collecting football cards - which became an amazing help to learning the names and numbers of the players.  I also started collecting the Street and Smith Football Magazine/Annual Preview so I got a whole lot better at knowing the roster and the starters.  

All that being case, I was far better at knowing the 70s, 80s, 90s rosters and starting lineups than I was with the 60s teams. 

●  .... edit adds ....  WED. JULY 3 .... Mike McCormack,  (● see the notations)

Mike McCormack, OT/ D-MG  one of the game’s greatest offensive tackles, began his pro football career with the NFL’s  ● 1951 New York Yanks where as a rookie he earned the starting right tackle spot. That year he earned the first of six trips to the Pro Bowl, before being ●  called into military service.

The Baltimore Colts who acquired his rights before the start of the 1953 season, traded him to the Cleveland Browns in a ●  massive  15-player deal - WOW !   Even though the Browns knew Mike would not be available for a full year, he was the key man  in the trade.  Coach Paul Brown always considered it one of his wisest personnel moves.

●  In his first  season in Cleveland, McCormack, a former University of Kansas star and Chicago native, was asked to fill the middle guard position that had been vacated by the retiring Bill Willis on the defensive unit. It was a tall order, considering Willis would himself be elected to the Hall of Fame. McCormack, not surprisingly, was up to the challenge.

He quickly became an important factor on an excellent Cleveland defensive team. Mike enjoyed perhaps  ●  his most memorable individual moment on the defensive team when, in the 1954 NFL Championship Game, he stole the ball from Detroit Lions quarterback Bobby Layne to set up one of the early touchdowns in a 56-10 Cleveland rout.

But it was as an offensive tackle that McCormack made his lasting mark in pro football. Mike was the Browns' offensive right tackle for eight years from 1955 through 1962. During that period, the Browns’ forward wall played a major role in assuring a balanced offensive approach and McCormack, equally adept as a blocker on rushing plays and as a quarterback protector, was a stabilizing factor throughout the period

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[  NOTICE TO  BROWNS FANS  ]

There were NO  real stand out players  to wear the  #72  the most notable Jerry Sherk at  70  AV from  1970 to 1981 in the NFL.   BROWNS    (Jerry Sherk  ▪︎-->Year 1970 to 1981 numbers below.)

~  AND  ~   NONE of note from  26, 25  or 20 AV for ....    Dahl,  Schwartz, Peters. 

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Sfty AV Awards
Career       147 131 3 3 0 3     0 12 41 0 70.5 1 70  
1970 22 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 2 15 0 4.0   7 <--AV No 
1971 23 CLE RDT 72 14 14 2 3 0 3     0 2 0 0 4.5   8  
1972 24 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 2 0 0 10.5   8  
1973* 25 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0               5.5   9 PB
1974* 26 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 2 0 0 10.0   8 PB
1975* 27 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 1 26 0 6.0   6 PB
1976*+ 28 CLE RDT 72 14 14 1 0 0 0     0 1 0 0 12.0   11 AP1, PB<--AV# Highest Ye
1977 29 CLE RDT 72 7 6     0       0 1 0 0 3.0 1 3  
1978 30 CLE RDT 72 16 16     0               3.0   5  
1979 31 CLE RDT 72 10 10     0       0 1 0 0 12.0   4  
1980 32 CLE DE 72 1 1     0               0.0   0  
1981 33 CLE NT 72 15 0     0               0.0   1  

images (51).jpeg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, syd said:

A True American Hero

Offensive lineman Doug Dieken of the Cleveland Browns looks on from the sideline during a game against the New York Jets at Cleveland Municipal...

Days till kick off

He was a Tight End in college at Illinois.  Dieken didn't start playing Offensive Tackle until he played for the Browns. Left Tackle that is. Him and Joe Thomas really did that #73 proud.

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

[  NOTICE TO  BROWNS FANS  ]

There were NO  real stand out players  to wear the  #72  the most notable Jerry Sherk at  70  AV from  1970 to 1981 in the NFL.   BROWNS    (Jerry Sherk  ▪︎-->Year 1970 to 1981 numbers below.)

~  AND  ~   NONE of note from  26, 25  or 20 AV for ....    Dahl,  Schwartz, Peters. 

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Sfty AV Awards
Career       147 131 3 3 0 3     0 12 41 0 70.5 1 70  
1970 22 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 2 15 0 4.0   7 <--AV No 
1971 23 CLE RDT 72 14 14 2 3 0 3     0 2 0 0 4.5   8  
1972 24 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 2 0 0 10.5   8  
1973* 25 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0               5.5   9 PB
1974* 26 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 2 0 0 10.0   8 PB
1975* 27 CLE RDT 72 14 14     0       0 1 26 0 6.0   6 PB
1976*+ 28 CLE RDT 72 14 14 1 0 0 0     0 1 0 0 12.0   11 AP1, PB<--AV# Highest Ye
1977 29 CLE RDT 72 7 6     0       0 1 0 0 3.0 1 3  
1978 30 CLE RDT 72 16 16     0               3.0   5  
1979 31 CLE RDT 72 10 10     0       0 1 0 0 12.0   4  
1980 32 CLE DE 72 1 1     0               0.0   0  
1981 33 CLE NT 72 15 0     0               0.0   1  

images (51).jpeg

Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson were an awesome inside duo.  Very fond memories watching those 2 fellers...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson were an awesome inside duo.  Very fond memories watching those 2 fellers...

Yes during that  1970 to 1981  time period  Jerry Sherk  kind of slid under the radar a bit   -but-   we true  Cleveland BROWNS  die-hard fans remember a  die-hard player like   #72   Jerry S.

The  1970s  ~thru~  early 1980s period  when I saw the   MOST  of my    great  ol'  Muni  games   bar none !

That's why I wanted to mention   the  #72  Jerry Sherk  <--▪︎   righf here.    Maybe not the most famous   -but-   a great     :)    11 years.     Thanks Jerry !

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, syd said:

A True American Hero

Offensive lineman Doug Dieken of the Cleveland Browns looks on from the sideline during a game against the New York Jets at Cleveland Municipal...

Days till kick off

That would be Dieken's last season with the Browns, wearing the one-off jersey worn only in 1984... the season I went to my first Browns game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yes during that  1970 to 1981  time period  Jerry Sherk  kind of slid under the radar a bit   -but-   we true  Cleveland BROWNS  die-hard fans remember a  die-hard player like   #72   Jerry S.

The  1970s  ~thru~  early 1980s period  when I saw the   MOST  of my    great  ol'  Muni  games   bar none !

That's why I wanted to mention   the  #72  Jerry Sherk  <--▪︎   righf here.    Maybe not the most famous   -but-   a great     :)    11 years.     Thanks Jerry !

👍 Here's a cut and paste from Google showing a very productive chunk of football with honors Sherk earned midway through his career with the Browns. He was also very good before and after this period:

Jerry was a four-time Pro Bowl Selection and named MVP by the Browns three straight seasons 1974-1976. In 1976, he was named the NFL's Most Valuable Defensive Player of the Year.

23 hours ago, Flugel said:

👍 Here's a cut and paste from Google showing a very productive chunk of football with honors Sherk earned midway through his career with the Browns. He was also very good before and after this period:

Jerry was a four-time Pro Bowl Selection and named MVP by the Browns three straight seasons 1974-1976. In 1976, he was named the NFL's Most Valuable Defensive Player of the Year.

Do you Browns fans  think you know all about  #72  Jerry Sherk ....  please read this article.   I may add more and put it into  another seperate thread on the   - 1970 to 1981  Mr Jerry Sherk,  Cleveland  BROWN.

Coming up  -  The end of    #72 Jerry Sherk's fine career.

In 1979, Browns’ defensive tackle Jerry Sherk, had developed a boil on his arm which then became infected. Cleveland, under head coach Sam Rutigliano, was 6-3-0 and set to play on the road against the Philadelphia Eagles. During the 24-19 win,

●  Sherk inadvertently scraped off the boil on the hard Veterans Stadium turf which had installed Astro TuSherk has been called “the greatest defensive lineman of the Cleveland Browns.” He was drafted in the second-round of the 1970 NFL draft and became an instant starter. Sherk was named to four consecutive Pro Bowls from 1973-1976. In 1976, he was named the NFL Defensive Player-of-the-Year and twice voted All-AFC.

Is he the greatest Browns defensive lineman? Was he?

Broadcaster Howard Cosell said hell no.  <--▪︎. ( What ? )

“Monday Night Football” (MNF) is a television institution. The Browns hosted the New York Jets on the ABC Network on September 21, 1970 to a packed house. It was the  very first airing of  MNF.   This was the era of Jets’ quarterback Joe Namath who had just won Super Bowl IV. This was also the first season that the NFL and American Football League had merged and was now one huge league. |-->  continued  ▪︎-->   I remember that game well,  I was 19 going to YSU  -and- working at  USSteel. ...    turning 20 later that month.   :)   Life was good.

▪︎-->  It was also Jerry Sherk’s rookie season and his very first NFL contest.

The  BROWNS  won 31-21. .... in a very entertaining game. During the broadcast, ABC commentator Cosell, known for his abrasive personality, repeatedly dogged Sherk’s game performance especially the second half. During the game, ● Sherk had his chin split wide open. The newspaper headline the next morning sported, “Nightmare ends for Jerry Sherk.” Cosell’s style of broadcasting was to come up with a “theme” during the game and then pound that idea to death.

●  After football, Sherk became a sports photographer. He sold his talent to publications such as Sports Illustrated, newspapers and Pro! Magazine. In 2010, the Cleveland Touchdown Club Charities held a photo show of Sherk’s work entitled, “Thought the Eyes of a Defensive Lineman: The Cleveland Browns as Photographed by Jerry Sherk.”

▪︎  The Browns were the only team Sherk played for. He had signed a rookie contract for three years that paid him $18,000, $20,000 and then $22,000 a year with a $17,500 signing bonus. During his career, he had 864 total tackles, 69.5 sacks, three interceptions, 12 fumble recoveries, blocked six kicks and started 131 of 147 games.  // ▪︎-->  continued. 

●  Sherk also received the very first “Bulldog Award” given to a defensive player by the NFLPA and sponsored by Mack Trucks which was voted on by the league’s offensive linemen.

Today, Sherk lives in California with his wife Ann, a marriage that is not quite 36 years. Sherk has two grown children: son Michael and daughter Hannah.

He has a Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology and is the founder of the consulting firm Mentor Management Systems based in Encinitas, California. With the expertise in both one-on-one mentoring as well as group sessions, Sherk has assisted hundreds of mentoring organizations in the past two decades to develop their program structures as well as staff training. 

//  ▪︎-->   to be continued in a seperate  //    Jerry Sherk thread !    Catch you later.    mjp.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:55 PM, Dutch Oven said:

That would be Dieken's last season with the Browns, wearing the one-off jersey worn only in 1984... the season I went to my first Browns game. 

I Liked that jersey!  Do I remember it right that announcers were confused by the orange piping around the numbers?

55 minutes ago, Orion said:

I Liked that jersey!  Do I remember it right that announcers were confused by the orange piping around the numbers?

The original brown jerseys had orange numbers with white outline. Very hard to read. By the time the regular season started they had white numbers with orange outline.

• Thanks 1

▪︎~~~~~~~~~~▪︎
●  The Life and Career of the  BROWNS  #71  Walter Johnson  
(Complete story)

ALSO there is a huge amount of information on  ● Walter Johnson, the  DT position,  and the  BROWNS during this period.  And the  ● Noted sections. I  highly  recommend that you read it.    Thank you. syd.
▪︎~~~~~~~~~~▪︎
By Jimmy Swartz.   11/29/2020

01 October 2006: Browns' helmet is sitting on the field before the game against the Raiders at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland, California. Cleveland Browns defeated Oakland Raiders, 24-21.

●  While generally receiving less attention than defensive ends, defensive tackles are a critical component of any successful NFL defense.

●  Defensive tackles must control the middle of the field both to stuff and stop running plays and to collapse the pocket and pressure quarterbacks.

●  One of the greatest defensive tackles in Cleveland Browns history was Walter Johnson.

Over 12 years with the Browns, Johnson was invited to three Pro Bowls and played in the playoffs in six seasons (three times in the NFL championship 

College Years

Johnson began playing college football at New Mexico State before transferring to California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA).

At Cal State LA, Johnson played on both offense and defense at fullback, guard, and middle linebacker.

In 1964, Cal State LA (which played its home games in the Rose Bowl) posted a 9-0 record.  It outscored its opponents by a margin of 368 to 64 (an average score of approximately 41 to 7).

Cal State LA was voted the champion of the NCAA Small College division in 1964 by United Press International.

●  Johnson was voted first-team Little All-American at guard by the Associated Press in 1964.

● He was also voted first-team Little All-Coast Conference at guard by United Press International in 1964.

●  He also was a unanimous selection on the All-California Collegiate Athletic Association team and received second-team University Division All-Coast honors.

In describing Johnson, Cal State LA (on Johnson’s Cal State LA Hall of Fame biography page) has stated:

“Some say [Johnson] is the finest football player Cal State L.A. has ever had.”

Johnson held the shot put record at Cal State LA, being the first person at the school to make a 50-foot throw.

After Cal State LA, Johnson moved on to professional football.

The Pro Football Year

1965-1969

●  Johnson was drafted in the second round of the 1965 NFL draft (with the 27th overall pick) by the Cleveland Browns.

●  He was also drafted by the Denver Broncos in the 1965 American Football League draft, but Johnson  ★★ decided to play for the Browns.★★

While Johnson played multiple positions in college, Cleveland drafted Johnson specifically to play defensive tackle.

However, it was not intended for Johnson to be a starter at defensive tackle in 1965.

●  Cleveland was the defending NFL champions and returned its two starting defensive tackles from 1964 – Dick Modzelewski and Jim Kanicki – in 1965.

As a result, Johnson, as a rookie, played mostly as a backup in 1965.

He played in all 14 regular-season games, but he started only one regular-season game, in 1965.

Despite not being a starter, Johnson already made an impression on his teammates as a rookie.

●●  His future teammate Jerry Sherk later heard and relayed the following story about Johnson:

▪︎-->  ★  “His strength was legendary on the team.  There was a story going around that once Jim Brown called a team meeting, and he was chastising the team for their poor play. ●  Must read this the toughest men in the room  JIM BROWN and (?) ..... During the meeting he said, ‘And if you don’t like what I’m saying I’ll kick your ass, and I can kick anyone’s ass on the team.’  Then he looked over at Walter and said in a lower voice, ‘Except maybe for you, Walter!’”

Cleveland won the NFL East Division title with an 11-3 record in 1965.

The Browns played in the 1965 NFL championship game against the Green Bay Packers on January 2, 1966, but failed to defend their championship, losing to the Packers 23-12.

Johnson played in, but did not start, the championship game.

In 1966, based on age (he was 35) and injuries, Modzelewski saw limited playing time, and Johnson stepped up to fill Modzelewski’s position at left defensive tackle.

●  There were no bad feelings from Modzelewski in Johnson replacing him, as Modzelewski has called Johnson “the best defensive tackle Cleveland has ever had.”

Johnson played in all 14, and started 12, regular-season games at left defensive tackle in 1966.

He recovered one fumble.

Cleveland had a 9-5 record in 1966, but missed the playoffs.

Johnson contributed to the Browns defense in 1966 holding three opponents to less than 10 points (all Cleveland victories).

With Johnson principally at left defensive tackle, the Browns defense led the NFL in forcing turnovers (49) and intercepting passes (30) in 1966.

In 1967, Johnson cemented his position at left defensive tackle, starting all 14 regular-season games.

He recovered one fumble in 1967.

●  Jim Kanicki and Johnson formed a solid defensive tackle combination in the middle of Cleveland’s defensive line, generally playing together through 1969.

Johnson was recognized for his excellent play in 1967, as he received his first Pro Bowl invitation.

His success at defensive tackle was in large part attributable to two physical attributes.

First, Johnson was big and strong.

His six-foot, four-inch height and 265-pound weight gave him a muscular body that made him difficult to block.

Second, Johnson was quick.

Able to run a 100-yard dash in 10 seconds even late into his NFL career, his acceleration in chasing down offensive players earned him the nickname, “Zoom”.

In 1967, Cleveland won the NFL Century Division title with a 9-5 record.

Johnson helped the Browns defense hold two teams to single digits (both Cleveland victories), including in a 24-0 shutout of the Chicago Bears on October 22, 1967.

Cleveland played the Dallas Cowboys in the divisional round of the playoffs, but lost 52-14 to the Cowboys on December 24, 1967.

Johnson started the playoff game at left defensive tackle.

In 1968, Johnson again started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle.

He also recovered three fumbles.

Johnson received his second consecutive Pro Bowl invitation in 1968.

He was also voted second-team All-Pro by the Newspaper Enterprise Association in 1968.

With a 10-4 record in 1968, Cleveland repeated as NFL Century Division champion.

In a 30-7 victory over the Atlanta Falcons on October 27, 1968, with Johnson at left defensive tackle, the Browns had eight sacks of the Falcons and forced two turnovers.

Johnson’s play helped the Browns lead the NFL in forcing turnovers (46) and intercepting passes (32) in 1968.

Cleveland again advanced to a divisional-round playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys on December 21, 1968.

●  Starting on a defensive line with his defensive tackle partner Kanicki, and Jack Gregory and Ron Snidow as defensive ends, Johnson earned his first NFL playoff win in a 31-20 Browns victory.

The Browns forced four Cowboys turnovers in the game.

Cleveland head coach Blanton Collier stated:

“It’s a young defensive club, but they came of age today.”

Browns quarterback Bill Nelsen added:

“I can’t say enough about that defense.  When the defense gives us the ball that many times, we’re going to score some points.”

The following week, in a bid to reach the Super Bowl, Cleveland was shutout by the Baltimore Colts 34-0 in the NFL championship game on December 29, 1968 (with Johnson starting the game at right defensive tackle).

Johnson again started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle in 1969.

● On October 12, 1969, in a 27-17 Cleveland win over the New Orleans Saints, Johnson scored his first NFL touchdown on a 12-yard defensive fumble return.

He had two fumble recoveries in 1969.

Johnson received his third consecutive Pro Bowl invitation in 1969.

The Browns won their third consecutive division title in 1969, winning the NFL Century Division title with a 10-3-1 record.

In 1969, Johnson helped Cleveland’s defense hold two opponents under 10 points (both Browns victories).

Cleveland ranked second in the NFL in fumble recoveries (22) in 1969.

The Browns again played the Dallas Cowboys in the divisional round of the playoffs on December 28, 1969.

●  With a 38-14 Browns win over the Cowboys, Johnson (again starting on a defensive line with Kanicki, Gregory, and Snidow) had his second NFL playoff victory.

Cleveland forced three Dallas turnovers in the game.

The Browns then advanced the following week on January 4, 1970 to the NFL championship game against the Minnesota Vikings for the right to play in the Super Bowl.

However, the Browns lost to the Vikings 27-7.

●  Johnson started the championship game at left defensive tackle, ●  but suffered from frostbite  on the fingers on his right hand during the game.

1970-1977

After the 1969 season, the Browns ● traded Jim Kanicki to the New York Giants.

●  Cleveland then drafted Jerry Sherk in the 1970 NFL draft to replace Kanicki.

Johnson had to adjust to a new defensive tackle partner in 1970 with the rookie Sherk.

Sherk did not immediately establish the best rapport with Johnson, as Sherk was intimidated by Johnson.

Sherk stated:

“When I came (to) the Browns, Walter Johnson . . . was not only the guy I teamed up with at tackle, but he was the alpha male of the Browns.  Guys were in awe of him, because of his strength – ●●  he could actually hurt people in practice and in the games.  My first game was the first Monday Night Game ever.  Each player got 4 free tickets, and I was only going to use 2.  Walter knew it and asked if he could buy my other 2.  I said yes and gave him the tickets.  He didn’t give me the money, and I was so intimidated by him that I never asked.”

●  However, over time, Sherk and Johnson became to be considered one of the best defensive tackle duos during the 1970’s.

Johnson also came to appreciate playing next to Sherk.

Sherk said:

“[Johnson] actually came up to me late in his career and said, ‘Jerry, at first you couldn’t do anything.  I couldn’t believe how terrible you were.  But then you got good, and so I really had to work to keep up with you’.”

In 1970, Johnson again started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle.

On October 11, 1970, Johnson scored a safety when he tackled Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Virgil Carter in the end zone.

The Browns went on to defeat the Bengals 30-27 in the game.

In a 21-10 Cleveland victory over the Houston Oilers on December 7, 1970, Johnson grabbed his ● first NFL interception (thrown by Oilers quarterback Jerry Rhome), which Johnson returned for four yards.

After three consecutive Pro Bowl invitations, Johnson failed to receive a Pro Bowl invitation in 1970.

However, Johnson’s failure to receive his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl invitation in 1970 may be more due to the quality of the competition than to any decline in Johnson’s ability.

●  Among the defensive tackles who made the Pro Bowl in 1970 were future Pro Football Hall of Famers Merlin Olsen from the Los Angeles Rams, Alan Page from the Minnesota Vikings, Joe Greene from the Pittsburgh Steelers, Buck Buchanan from the Kansas City Chiefs, and Bob Lilly from the Dallas Cowboys.

Cleveland had a 7-7 record and failed to make the playoffs in 1970.

Johnson helped Cleveland’s defense hold three opponents to single digits in 1970, including in a 28-0 shutout of the Miami Dolphins on October 25, 1970.

In 1971, for the fifth consecutive year, Johnson started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle.

On December 12, 1971, Johnson scored his second NFL touchdown when he recovered a fumble in the end zone, in a 21-17 Browns win over the New Orleans Saints.

His touchdown ended up providing the Browns with the winning points in the game.

Both of Johnson’s touchdowns in his NFL career came on fumble recoveries against the Saints.

Johnson recovered two fumbles in 1971.

Cleveland returned to the playoffs in 1971, winning the AFC Central Division title with a 9-5 record.

Johnson helped the Browns defense in 1971 hold two teams to less than 10 points (both Cleveland victories), including in an opening game 31-0 shutout of the Houston Oilers on September 19, 1971.

Cleveland played the Baltimore Colts in a divisional-round playoff game on December 26, 1971, but the Browns were defeated by the Colts 20-3.

Johnson started the playoff game at left defensive tackle.

Johnson again started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle in 1972.

●  He returned two kickoffs for 33 yards in 1972.

In the final regular-season game, on December 17, 1972, Johnson intercepted his ● second NFL pass (intercepting Jets quarterback Bob Davis) and returned it for one yard, as Cleveland defeated the New York Jets 26-10.

Johnson also forced a fumble from Jets running back Emerson Boozer in the game.

Cleveland finished the 1972 regular season in second place in the AFC Central Division with a 10-4 record, but still made the playoffs as a “wild card” team.

Cleveland’s defense, with Johnson’s help, held two opponents to single digits in 1972 (both wins by the Browns), including in a 20-0 shutout of the Houston Oilers on November 5, 1972.

●  In the playoffs, the Browns played the undefeated Miami Dolphins on December 24, 1972.

The Browns (with Johnson starting the game at left defensive tackle) gave the eventual “17-0” Super Bowl champion Dolphins one of their toughest games in 1972.

Cleveland sacked Miami quarterback Earl Morrall four times, including a sack by Johnson (for a loss of nine yards), and forced two Dolphins turnovers.

Miami scored a fourth-quarter touchdown for a narrow 20-14 victory.

In 1973, Johnson again started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle.

Cleveland had a 7-5-2 record in 1973 and missed the playoffs.

On November 18, 1973, the Browns defeated the Oakland Raiders 7-3.

With Johnson at left defensive tackle, Cleveland sacked future Pro Football Hall of Fame Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler five times and limited the Raiders to only 75 “net” passing yards in the game.

For the eighth consecutive year, Johnson started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle in 1974.

He recovered one fumble in 1974.

The Browns finished the 1974 season with a 4-10 record.

Johnson helped Cleveland’s defense hold two teams to less than 10 points in 1974 (both victories by the Browns), including in a 7-0 shutout of the San Francisco 49ers on December 1, 1974.

An incident at Browns training camp in 1975 showed Johnson’s strength, even when he was over the age of 30.

★★  Doing a drill, Johnson hit the jaw of Browns rookie offensive lineman Robert E. Jackson (who weighed 255 pounds) with his padded forearm.

Jackson recalled:

“He lifted me off the ground.  Zoom was giving me my ‘Welcome to the NFL’ moment. . . . I popped up and we had some good battles after that.”

In 1975, Johnson played in all 14, and started 13, regular-season games at left defensive tackle.

He recovered one fumble in 1975.

Cleveland had a 3-11 record in 1975.

For the ninth time in 12 seasons with Cleveland, even though he turned 34 during the season, Johnson started all 14 regular-season games at left defensive tackle in 1976.

The Browns had a 9-5 record in 1976, but missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year.

In a consecutive three-game stretch, Johnson helped Cleveland’s defense hold its opponents to single digits in 1976, as the Browns defeated the Houston Oilers 21-7 on November 7, 1976, the Philadelphia Eagles 24-3 on November 14, 1976, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 24-7 on November 21, 1976.

After the 1976 season, Cleveland waived Johnson.  He signed with the Cincinnati Bengals.

In 1977, Johnson played in all 14, and started two, regular-season games for the Bengals.

In Johnson playing with Cincinnati, his football career had come full circle as he had played high school football in Cincinnati.

Johnson’s teams, the Browns and the Bengals, played 182 regular-season games from 1965 to 1977.

Despite playing in the football trenches at a position frequently subject to injuries, Johnson never missed playing in each of these 182 regular-season games

●  After the 1977 season, Johnson retired from the NFL at the age of 35.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey syd ....  nice piece on  that tough  bad-azz  Walter Johnson.   I'd recommend any true Cleveland BROWNS  fans to read it.

Learn something about  BROWNS  football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Hey syd ....  nice piece on  that tough  bad-azz  Walter Johnson.   I'd recommend any true Cleveland BROWNS  fans to read it.

Learn something about  BROWNS  football.

were getting closer. Hell collage ball is less than  2 months away. So you good ? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, syd said:

were getting closer. Hell collage ball is less than  2 months away. So you good ? 

I'll be at the Ohio State opener at the end of August vs Akron! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like my very. first  helmet from my  5th and 6th grade  football uniform  with pads and pants.    Around  1958 to 1959. .....  except mine was single bar,  red with white stripe.

▪︎-----------▪︎    ★ OH  BTW   .....  guys & gals   ▪︎----------▪︎

★   ...... edit add ......  JULY 3, 2024 .....  Anyone  NOTICE  his  wedding ring  on his left hand while in the game ?    It miht get a little   banged up   while on there,  .... haha.

But it shows some devotion while   playing the game   and not like us  TV  watching guys  eating pizza and drinking beer,  .....  ha ha ha.

that would be Robert Jackson days to kick off

The Countdown to the 2020 NFL season is upon us. With 68 days remaining until the Browns season opener, we continue the countdown by celebrating the best Cleveland Browns player to ever wear number 68: Robert Jackson.

Robert Jackson was not selected by the Cleveland Browns in the 1975 NFL draft. Jackson was not selected by any NFL team during the 17-round draft. Luckily for the Browns, someone in the scouting department liked his size, athleticism, and versatility enough to offer Jackson a chance to compete at training camp as an undrafted free agent.

Jackson played his college career at Duke University. When Jackson arrived at Duke, he did so as a quarterback. By the time his junior season came around, Jackson had undergone multiple position changes before landing at offensive tackle.

Listed at 6-foot-2 and 255lbs., the Browns had no intention of bringing Jackson in to compete to be an offensive tackle. If Jackson were going to make the Browns roster in 1975, he was going to have to do so at guard.

Jackson arrived at training camp at the Kent State campus in Northern Ohio with only one thing in mind; work. Jackson kept his head down and he worked. The roster cuts came and went, and when the dust settled Jackson had made the roster.

• Thanks 1

• mjp28 pinned this topic

HEY .... If any of you  BROWNS'  FANS  out there w  ant to join in the  annual  number      ★  COUNTDOWN  TO  THE  KICK ★  OFF    don't wait  just    ▪︎  kick-in  ▪︎    and grab a few numbers !

....  AND  also  remember  to.   - GO BROWNS - !

• Like 1

Here’s a number 4.

That’s how many touchdowns Nick Chubb is going to score in one game this year.

Which would put him in the same category as this guy. . .

IMG_5199.png

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

Here’s a number 4.

That’s how many touchdowns Nick Chubb is going to score in one game this year.

Which would put him in the same category as this guy. . .

IMG_5199.png

* why  would you  put a picture of a ex steeler here ? 

*  Correction,  He never was really was an ex Steeler,  Ed O'Neill was cut in training camp.  He was up against  Joe Green and  L.C. Greenwood for a spot on the team.    I don't think you can't include  everbody  who is cut in camp .... as an ex Steeler ???

(from OU) ...  He transferred to Youngstown State University, where he lettered as a defensive lineman from 1967 to 1968.    As an undergraduate, he pledged Delta Sigma Phi and was initiated into the Delta Sigma chapter there.   While at Youngstown State, he played in a game against Roger Staubach, who was playing for the Pensacola Naval Station.   *  O'Neill said that his team was penalized 15 yards when he hit Staubach out of bounds.

That's true ... and funny !    I was a Freshman at YSU in 1968  and a Sophmore in 1969.   Ed had some * notoriety there as a former UHS (Ursline HS,  just off the  YSU  campus  -and-  on the  YSU  school  and on the  team.

* (noun).... being famous or well known for some bad quality ....    Oh yes that was Ed.

Professional football career. .....   * 1969 signed as an UFA and cut in training camp.

* Also true.   * O'Neill was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969 under rookie head coach Chuck Noll but was cut in training camp, having to compete with fellow rookie defensive lineman Joe Greene and L. C. Greenwood for a roster spot.

Both became key members of the Steel Curtain defense during the Steelers success in the 1970s.   

Later, while on Married... with Children, O'Neill played a former high school football star who had failed to make it big and constantly reminisced about his "glory days" at Polk High ("I once scored four touchdowns in a single game").

As part of this theme, former Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw also made two guest appearances on the show. O'Neill worked as a substitute social studies teacher at his alma mater Ursuline High School before becoming an actor.