THE BROWNS BOARD

189 day's till The Browns kick★off ... the regular ♠︎ season.

syd

~   "THE"  ~   GREATEST  # 32  of all time bar none.

pmjm1aaunt4wmvwi751a.webp

690145460d7075c1a9b644a47b05538618e7d4b0-1.png

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, syd said:

Charles White days to go

Running back Charles White of the Cleveland Browns runs behind the blocking of offensive lineman Joe DeLamielleure as linebackers Jack Ham and Jack...

"Snow White"

The guy was a coke addict, probably ruined his career. Sad that 2 USC guys ( White & McDonald) destroyed Ohio State and did near nothing for the Browns.

On 8/15/2024 at 7:36 AM, Bob806 said:

"Snow White"

The guy was a coke addict, probably ruined his career. Sad that 2 USC guys ( White & McDonald) destroyed Ohio State and did near nothing for the Browns.

The guy that really caved in Ohio State was Anthony Munoz. No solutions, no explanations.  Paul Brown was like a dog that found Limburger cheese on the ground and wanted to roll in it. It must have been good too; because he made sure his franchise drafted him.

Paul McDonald had the ball E-I-E-I-O

And with the ball he tried to throw E-I-E-I-O

With a pick 6 here and another pick there

Here a pick, there a pick, everywhere a damn pick...

Hold on a second...  Neil Young wants to say something.  "Southern Man"  Ooops, we know where that's headed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The guy that really caved in Ohio State was Anthony Munoz. No solutions, no explanations.  Paul Brown was like a dog that found Limburger cheese on the ground and wanted to roll in it. It must have been good too; because he made sure his franchise drafted him.

Paul McDonald had the ball E-I-E-I-O

And with the ball he tried to throw E-I-E-I-O

With a pick 6 here and another pick there

Here a pick, there a pick, everywhere a damn pick...

Hold on a second...  Neil Young wants to say something.  "Southern Man"  Ooops, we know where that's headed...

Lol...yep.

1984 in many ways was just as bad as 2016. 

I don't know if the NFL keeps stats like this, but McDonald threw at least 5 "pick 6s" that season, most of them on potential game winning drives. 

Our younger fans will never know that pain.

At least Kosar saw it from Miami U & said to Cleveland " please come get me."

Paul McDonald,worst QB in Browns history not named Manziel.

• Upvote 1

★  And my absolute favorite  # 19  is coming up. .....  Boardman, Ohio,  UM,  and the    Cleveland BROWNS'   absolute favorite  Mr  Bernie Kosar ! ★

A LITTLE HISTORY FIRST  -  HOW IT ALL HAPPENED.

Bernard Joseph Kosar Jr. (born November 25, 1963) is an American former professional football player who was a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the Miami Hurricanes, leading the team to a national championship in 1983. He subsequently played in the NFL for the Cleveland Browns from 1985 to 1993, the Dallas Cowboys in 1993, and Miami Dolphins from 1994 to 1996. He was the backup quarterback on the 1993 Cowboys team that won Super Bowl XXVIII.

Kosar was born in Youngstown, Ohio and raised in suburban Boardman Township. He is of Hungarian descent.

■  He attended Boardman High School, where he earned Parade magazine All-American honors in  1981 as a senior  and was Ohio's Division I "Player of the Year." He also gained recognition as a baseball player, especially for his pitching skills.

● Kosar was recruited by University of Miami head football coach Howard Schnellenberger, and Kosar committed to the University of Miami, which ran a passing-oriented offense and was beginning to emerge as one of the nation's premiere college football programs. Kosar proved instrumental in establishing the University of Miami nickname "Quarterback U" in reference to the number of top quarterbacks the program produced.

▪︎ After being redshirted in 1982, Kosar started all 12 games as a freshman in 1983. In the 1983 season, he completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 2,328 yards and 15 touchdowns, leading the Hurricanes to an 11–1 regular season and a berth in the ● Orange Bowl against top-ranked Nebraska, which had won  22 consecutive games.    ●  In the game, Kosar passed for  300 yards  and two touchdowns, and the Hurricanes topped the Cornhuskers 31-30  for Miami's FIRST  national championship.

●  Kosar  earned Orange Bowl  MVP  honors for his performance  -and-  THE "U"  LEGEND  was born.    What a fantastic 31-30 game and  Bernie Kosar was headed back to Ohio to play for his hometime favorite  NFL TEAM  The Cleveland BROWNS.

NFL career  -  NFL draft controversy. -  How CLEVELAND  got Bernie  ...  not Minnesota,  Buffalo  or  Houston !

● In 1885, Kosar -  was a highly sought NFL prospect, described as having "an  elite football IQ"   and "being able to decipher a defense quicker than his coaches."    But his route from the University of Miami to the National Football League would prove to be filled with widespread controversy and the use of highly unconventional transactional and draft NFL tactics.

▪︎-->  Kosar,  In a March 14, 1985 press conference in Miami,  he. announced that he was foregoing  his final two years of  NCAA  eligibility at the University of Miami to enter the National Football League. ■  Kosar grew up a Cleveland Browns fan,    and also announced in the press conference that he would like to play for the Browns in his native Ohio.

NFL rules at the time permitted only college seniors and college graduates to enter the 1985 NFL draft, and Kosar was still a University of Miami underclassman in March 1985. To establish eligibility, Kosar announced he had arranged an expedited academic plan with 18 credits in spring 1985 and an additional six credits in the summer that would permit him to graduate from the University of Miami in time to meet the draft's eligibility requirements. In June 1985, the University of Miami notified the NFL that Kosar had met the course requirements to graduate.

▪︎  Seeking to obtain Kosar in the NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings on April 9, 1985, traded with the Houston Oilers to obtain a top draft selection and announced their intent to draft Kosar. Meanwhile, also seeking to draft Kosar, the Browns quietly traded their first round NFL draft selections for 1985 and 1986, their third round selection in 1985 and sixth selection in 1986 with the Buffalo Bills for the Bills' first pick in the 1985 supplemental draft, which paved the way for the Browns to select Kosar in the 1985 supplemental draft if Kosar entered it.

▪︎ The NFL deadline for the submission of formal eligibility documents for the 1985 draft was April 15, 1985, and the Vikings learned that Kosar had not met the deadline. "I'm as confused as you are," Vikings coach Bud Grant said at the time about Kosar. "We put our bid on the line. It's up to the commissioner whether you need a verbal or a written commitment from the man. He dropped out of football, hired an agent and declared he was going in the draft. The only thing he didn't do was sign a letter."

■  Teams soon learned of the Browns' highly unorthodox trade with the Bills to obtain Kosar in the supplemental draft. Several teams asked then NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle to prevent the unusual trade between the Browns and Bills. Rozelle, in turn, announced that he was giving Kosar until April 23 to submit eligibility documents for either the traditional or supplemental draft. On April 25, Kosar held a press conference, announcing his intention to skip the traditional draft and enter the supplemental draft, where he expected to be selected with the Browns' first selection.

▪︎ The Houston Oilers, also seeking to draft Kosar in the traditional draft, threatened to sue to stop the entire draft unless Kosar was in it. Houston also appealed to the Vikings to join the suit. Kosar's agent, in turn, threatened to sue the NFL if Kosar was obligated to enter the traditional draft.

▪︎ But when the Vikings refused to join the suit, the Oilers dropped it. Kosar submitted documentation announcing his eligibility and participation in the 1985 supplemental draft.

■  On July 3, 1985,  the BROWNS   used their first selection in the  1985 SUPPLIMENTAL DRAFT  to select  Kosar.  offering him a   -5-  year contract.

Edited by mjp28
★ Kosar ... how it happened. ★
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, syd said:

Great read MJP. I had forgot all the in's and out's of that draft.

And how Howard Schenellenberger of   THE "U"  got Bernie from Boardman, Ohio to Miami and won a  NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP  in his  FIRST  year after Red-shirting him for one year. !   Slick move followed  by the   BROWNS'   Art Modell  and his  draft moves. 

He knew how to use the Supplimental Draft to get Bernie !

1960168.jpg

images (62).jpeg

images (61).jpeg

~  AND  ~  Bernie Kosar  and his "elite foootball IQ"   PAID   a price to put it alll out there for our   Cleveland BROWNS.

images (59).jpeg

cleveland-browns-qb-bernie-kosar-image-taken-color-slide-161296928.jpg

• Thanks 2

• mjp28 changed the title to 189 day's till The Browns kick★off ... the regular ♠︎ season.