THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Off-Season Free Agent moves/signings

tiamat63

53 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

ah. NOW we MUST HAVE a wr who can GET OPEN?

GREAT !!! LOL.

This gripe still loses me... 

What's your WR corp grade when Baker had OBJ/ Landry & DPJ ?  No one can project they'd all get injured..

I still can't admit Baker would be more accurate than Burrow, if Bake played with the Bengals WR corp..

Bake's simply, not Joe Burrow at hitting fast moving targets  

3 hours ago, syd said:

They are far from being dangerous... We don't have Cincy's WR corp.. Temper the enthusiasm dude...

9 minutes ago, nickers said:

They are far from being dangerous... We don't have Cincy's WR corp.. Temper the enthusiasm dude...

nope live by the sword die by the sword

and did you just call me dude ? o.k there fella 

Maurice Hurst, Trysten Hill, and Dalvin to go along with Winfrey and another one on PS could make for a decent IDL.. if the dice rolls work.  Hurst may be the PS guy - he played only 40 snaps in 2021 and zero last season, he could be done.  Hill is a former second-round pick who busted with the Cowboys and couldn't do anything with the Cards last season.. he could also be a zero as well.  Those two appear to be the 2023 roll-the-dice signings like last season's Malik McDowell.. IMHO these guys are brought to compete with TT and Elliot and may just turn out to be camp bodies.

Don't be shocked if IDL is still a pick in round 3 and Winfrey is the second starter.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Don't be shocked if IDL is still a pick in round 3 and Winfrey is the second starter.

honestly I have no idea who is left in free agency for IDL could be we are eyeing someone after the draft when the price normally comes down

47 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Went ahead and fixed it for you.  

No shit Sherlock... Got anything else brilliant to pump out Mr.Genius?... Your scouting job with the NFL must be real lucrative that you  can spend so much time here , Know it all..

10 hours ago, syd said:

honestly I have no idea who is left in free agency for IDL could be we are eyeing someone after the draft when the price normally comes down

This link should give you an idea.  It at least gives CBS sports top 100 FA and shows who is still unsigned.  I am sure there are some guys outside the top 100, but then you are starting to select more for potential rather than NFL achievement.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-free-agency-tracker-latest-updates-on-where-top-100-free-agents-signed-whos-still-available/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, syd said:

names I keep seeing are..

Matt Ioannidis/Frank Clark/*Calais Campbell/  to pricey with some *injury risk imo

Poona Ford or A'Shawn Robinson (age 28) may fit a cap of 8M left..Teams pending market/draft

The ageing swing T George Fant maybe a mid/low cost band-aide at Tackle?

Draft slots projected to cost 1.2M.

LB has names left of.. while most played OLB

1. LB RASHAAN EVANS played w/Schwartz at Tenn., might be $$
  2. LB BEN NIEMANN
  3. LB JAYLON SMITH 

9 hours ago, nickers said:

No shit Sherlock... Got anything else brilliant to pump out Mr.Genius?... Your scouting job with the NFL must be real lucrative that you  can spend so much time here , Know it all..

As lucrative as your music career is, apparently.

I'll be heading up to Cleveland next week. Per your suggestion to someone before, I'll ask random musicians if they've heard of you. I think my opener will be: "Hey Mr. or Ms. Random Cleveland Musician, are you familiar with a racist sack of shit that looks like Flounder from the movie 'Animal House' who plays one mean guitar in his mother's basement?" 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

This link should give you an idea.

Let's sign the Washington DT.  That defensive front of theirs is a difficult group to operate against.   $$$ no object

35 minutes ago, Orion said:

Let's sign the Washington DT.  That defensive front of theirs is a difficult group to operate against.   $$$ no object

Speaking of WSH DT's, wonder what CAR would want for Matt Ioannidis on a cheaper 2 year deal?

edit: @gumby73 beat me to it above and I skimmed the page too fast, my bad.   Still, sounds like the right idea to me.   But I'm still of the belief we could see a day 2 IDL in the draft.

10 hours ago, nickers said:

My comment was meant to be cheeky, nothing more.   No reason to take it that far.

Your mentioning of the CIN WR's corps, while they are good, isn't what sets them apart from us.   So the comment was a bit short sighted and I pointed out what the real difference was.    However you forget that the Browns have a superior Oline, RB, TE and DB situation in comparison.  When Chase was out, the Browns DB's and pass rush was up to the task of winning the day.   So was that youtube video a good bit of hyperbole? Sure.   Was it entirely inaccurate? No.  

Let's stay on topic in my threads. Thanks.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

My comment was meant to be cheeky, nothing more.   No reason to take it that far.

Your mentioning of the CIN WR's corps, while they are good, isn't what sets them apart from us.   So the comment was a bit short sighted and I pointed out what the real difference was.    However you forget that the Browns have a superior Oline, RB, TE and DB situation in comparison.  When Chase was out, the Browns DB's and pass rush was up to the task of winning the day.   So was that youtube video a good bit of hyperbole? Sure.   Was it entirely inaccurate? No.  

Let's stay on topic in my threads. Thanks.  

We were on topic... I was bustin your balls a bit... Secondly.,.. You don't own this site.. Or this thread... All you did was author it... After that... In my eyes Digressing and anything else that comes along is fair game... Be a man... Grow a pair and quit acting like a Karen ... Have a nice day..

44 minutes ago, nickers said:

We were on topic... I was bustin your balls a bit... Secondly.,.. You don't own this site.. Or this thread... All you did was author it... After that... In my eyes Digressing and anything else that comes along is fair game... Be a man... Grow a pair and quit acting like a Karen ... Have a nice day..

Why do.... you feel the.... need to write in.... such a weird.... way? 

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

names I keep seeing are..

Matt Ioannidis/Frank Clark/*Calais Campbell/  to pricey with some *injury risk imo

Poona Ford or A'Shawn Robinson (age 28) may fit a cap of 8M left..Teams pending market/draft

The ageing swing T George Fant maybe a mid/low cost band-aide at Tackle?

Draft slots projected to cost 1.2M.

LB has names left of.. while most played OLB

1. LB RASHAAN EVANS played w/Schwartz at Tenn., might be $$
  2. LB BEN NIEMANN
  3. LB JAYLON SMITH 

i was reading a  pluto article this morning and he said we have 10 million left to spend and as of june 1st  we get another 9 million

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Speaking of WSH DT's, wonder what CAR would want for Matt Ioannidis on a cheaper 2 year deal?

edit: @gumby73 beat me to it above and I skimmed the page too fast, my bad.   Still, sounds like the right idea to me.   But I'm still of the belief we could see a day 2 IDL in the draft.

Both ideas are OK.  We would have a bunch of bodies to choose from which in theory would increase the odds we would improve the room.

When we get to the draft part, I am fine with that, but we are at a point I think we need to make sure it fits the BPA mold.

Note when I say BPA, at that point in the draft it's hard to separate various players, so we will have a choice that would meet BPA requirements.  As long as we draft guys who have a chance to make and improve the team, what position they play makes little difference to me.  In this draft, the guys we draft may not be a need today, but they might in a few years.

An example would be back.  Chubbs days are numbered.  We have Ford, but not much young after that.  When you examine berry's drafts, in some cases he seems to be drafted a year ahead of what he sees as a future need.  Ford last year is a prime example.  He knew that we were probably going to move from Hunt.  It works out we may still keep him, but last year we were thinking he was going to command a contract larger than we would be willing to offer.  Now....we may just keep him.

1 minute ago, syd said:

i was reading a  pluto article this morning and he said we have 10 million left to spend and as of june 1st  we get another 9 million

No doubt we still have room.  That doesn't mean we want to spend it all and want to roll some over, not knowing everything there is to know about expiring contracts etc.  Berry thinks about that more than we do, so who knows what might be the plan?

4 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

No doubt we still have room.  That doesn't mean we want to spend it all and want to roll some over, not knowing everything there is to know about expiring contracts etc.  Berry thinks about that more than we do, so who knows what might be the plan?

i believe if we do pull the trigger on another name F.A it will not happen untill after the draft

10 minutes ago, syd said:

i believe if we do pull the trigger on another name F.A it will not happen untill after the draft

I agree.  Any real names at this point will be June 1 guys.  After that, maybe a guy here or there on 1 year show me deals.  Locally, the biggest name we might sign would be Hunt, but only after he has exhausted all other options.

It wouldn't surprise me if we already have an open ended offer on the table for him that is good until at least the day before the draft.  Like saying: "Here is our best offer.  It is good until such and such a date.  If it works, welcome back, if you find better, thanks and best of luck, we understand".  Part of me wants to say we have something like that for Clowney, but there may be a little too much burnt wood on that bridge to be repaired.

5 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  Any real names at this point will be June 1 guys.  After that, maybe a guy here or there on 1 year show me deals.  Locally, the biggest name we might sign would be Hunt, but only after he has exhausted all other options.

It wouldn't surprise me if we already have an open ended offer on the table for him that is good until at least the day before the draft.  Like saying: "Here is our best offer.  It is good until such and such a date.  If it works, welcome back, if you find better, thanks and best of luck, we understand".  Part of me wants to say we have something like that for Clowney, but there may be a little too much burnt wood on that bridge to be repaired.

I like hunt always have but i would like to see what we have in ford and clowney ya i think that bridge is burnt

We will find out about Ford.  Probably some rookie as well.  I love Chubb and know everybody does, but to me he isn't the ideal back with Watson and the O we will transition towards.  Chubb probably won't get another contract with the team and might even be tradable after the season.  Maybe even the trade deadline if Ford balls out.

As for Clowney, again, just a part of me.  I know it probably won't or shouldn't happen.  i just feel he was way under appreciated.  He didn't put up the sack totals some hoped for, but the guy could set the edge and backs didn't get around his end unless they dipped way south to get around the guy.  I am afraid we are going to miss him.

I'd bet money that Schwartz has said something about the possibilities of getting him back.

19 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Maurice Hurst, Trysten Hill, and Dalvin to go along with Winfrey and another one on PS could make for a decent IDL.. if the dice rolls work.  Hurst may be the PS guy - he played only 40 snaps in 2021 and zero last season, he could be done.  Hill is a former second-round pick who busted with the Cowboys and couldn't do anything with the Cards last season.. he could also be a zero as well.  Those two appear to be the 2023 roll-the-dice signings like last season's Malik McDowell.. IMHO these guys are brought to compete with TT and Elliot and may just turn out to be camp bodies.

Well said!  I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Browns drafted a DT in round 3. 

Dalvin Tomlinson is the only proven player of the free agent DTs signed, which means we need another starter.  I'd LOVE to be able to count on Winfrey to step up and step into the reliable starting DT next to Tomlinson; but his recent history makes me reluctant to do so.  I've seen some good plays occasionally from him so he has some physical ability.  I'm just worried about his attitude, which will have a heavy impact on how well he develops.  I'd love to see this guy get it all together and kick some tail this year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ballpeen said:

In this draft, the guys we draft may not be a need today, but they might in a few years.

An example would be back.  Chubbs days are numbered.  We have Ford, but not much young after that.  When you examine berry's drafts, in some cases he seems to be drafted a year ahead of what he sees as a future need. 

I think you should draft a RB when you need one.  It's not one of those positions that needs a couple of years to learn.  Nope.  You plug 'em right in, tell him what hole to hit and give him the ball.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

I think you should draft a RB when you need one.  It's not one of those positions that needs a couple of years to learn.  Nope.  You plug 'em right in, tell him what hole to hit and give him the ball.

You have a collect call from Trent Richardson.  Will you accept the charges?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nickers said:

Neat.

Anywho,  late round RB is absolutely in play given that DJ is now gone.  That leaves Chubb and Ford with nothing else behind them, seeing that Felton has spent the overwhelming majority of his time in the WR room.   Doesn't mean it will happen, but I could see it.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Orion said:

You have a point well taken.  Backs is one of those position where that can happen.  I still don't think it hurts to have them a year early.  You kind of erase that learning to be a pro.  But again, maybe using a back in my example wasn't the most thought out point I could make.

15 hours ago, syd said:

Not sure if this references the same article, but apparently, we are not done adding to the D by means other than the draft. Would fit in with the apparent lack of roster space to sign our remaining picks.

Report: Browns ‘shopping’ for more defensive linemen, safety

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/3/26/23657157/nfl-free-agency-browns-rumors-jim-schwartz-andrew-berry

15 hours ago, ballpeen said:

We will find out about Ford.  Probably some rookie as well.  I love Chubb and know everybody does, but to me he isn't the ideal back with Watson and the O we will transition towards.  Chubb probably won't get another contract with the team and might even be tradable after the season.  Maybe even the trade deadline if Ford balls out.

As for Clowney, again, just a part of me.  I know it probably won't or shouldn't happen.  i just feel he was way under appreciated.  He didn't put up the sack totals some hoped for, but the guy could set the edge and backs didn't get around his end unless they dipped way south to get around the guy.  I am afraid we are going to miss him.

I'd bet money that Schwartz has said something about the possibilities of getting him back.

After joining us from the TN Titans where he had 0 sacks in 8 games (and Seattle the year before with 3 sacks in 13 games), he had a nice 1st season with us 9 sacks in 14 games.  With the good comes the bad though. 2 of his last 3 teams didn't think he was worth overpaying after his 1st year.  Cleveland did and rather than being a solution or a leader as a well paid veteran - he chose to be part of the problem.  We had a rookie like Winfrey that could have used some good veteran leadership on how to be a professional.  Instead of Clowney proving WHY the Browns needed to sign him to a 1 year $10,000,000 contract including an $8,000,000 signing bonus and $9,250,000 guaranteed - he insulted teammates and coaching staff to the media.  Stuff like that and his one and dones with TN and Seattle are probably why nobody wants him until desperation comes knocking.

I think the millisecond Schwartz sees the long time vet lining up offsides twice in 1 game (with one of those on something like 3rd and 4) and a couple other times within a 1 month span, he's gonna wonder why there's such a disconnect with his focus or care for that matter.  Clowney has the athleticism most teams are looking for but the empty inner chest nullifies that.  When you add a FA like this and there's adversity - he's the type that's not going to want to risk injury/jeopardize the rest of his career suiting up for the Browns. 

I'm saying all that mainly because I think we can get a much better bang for the buck moving forward. 

• Upvote 1