THE BROWNS BOARD

January 3 - BALLOT #3 now #13 goes on ..... McCarthy headed for another big  LOSS.

mjp28

On 1/4/2023 at 7:58 AM, Bob806 said:

So the 19 or 20 Freedom Caucus Rs aren't radicalized? They've got some crazy demands. 

I guess it depends upon your definition of “crazy demands”.

I happen to agree on several of their talking points.

1) Term limits…crazy?

2) Balanced budgets…crazy?

3) Secure the southern border….crazy?

McCarthy is Mr Business As Usual, and threatening to remove members from committees if they don’t vote for him.

6 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

1) Term limits…crazy?

McCarthy is Mr Business As Usual, and threatening to remove members from committees if they don’t vote for him.

List of things the (this Congress's) Speaker of the House has no ability to get done. 

20 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

1) Term limits…crazy?

Term limits is seriously crazy. If you have a good rep, you keep him/her. It's up to the voters to vote them in or out.

Term limits create a "what have we got to lose" atmosphere. Introduce some potentially harmful bills, and leave the country in disarray as you walk out the door. I am in total disagreement on term limits.

NOTE :   Friday January 6th,  1 pm .....    On Ballot  #12 now McCarthy still headed for defeat #12   -but-  will they adjourn for the weekend  ..... soon ?  

It looks like Ballot #12 is mathematically OVER. .  ~AND~   he has flipped about 6 of 20 hardliner NO McCarthy votes around.    And we chug on to Ballot 13.

The House of Representatives is completely   ~shut down~   until "we" have a Speaker.  This has NOT happened in over 130 years ..... and counting. 

All of this on the  second anniversary of the 1/6 attack on our Capitol  in which many gathered here went through. 

I'm sure that isn't missed by anyone there  -or-  in our country and world.   That fact we shall never  forget. 

54 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Term limits is seriously crazy. If you have a good rep, you keep him/her. It's up to the voters to vote them in or out.

Term limits create a "what have we got to lose" atmosphere. Introduce some potentially harmful bills, and leave the country in disarray as you walk out the door. I am in total disagreement on term limits.

On the flip side of that argument, you have career politicians that imbed themselves like a parasite. They get kickbacks, and cozy up to lobbyists, and in the long run end up like Bernie Sanders, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConell, Chuck Schumer, ….you get the idea.

12 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

On the flip side of that argument, you have career politicians that imbed themselves like a parasite. They get kickbacks, and cozy up to lobbyists, and in the long run end up like Bernie Sanders, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConell, Chuck Schumer, ….you get the idea.

That does happen but in my opinion NOT by the average politican that runs to serve the public. 

I've known many politicians mainly lower level that make sacrifices in doing their job.

How many people actually know a politician other than just voting for or against them ?

I'LL BET THAT  MOST   HAVE NEVER MET A POLITICIAN IN PERSON.   

And they are talking about making deals now to get McCarthy in as Speaker now.

Plus is this what the average electorate at home really want ?   Deal making.   How about run the government  ?

AH YES,  politics at work.    :D

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

That's where the uninformed voter comes in. I blame voters for enabling that to happen, not the politician. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

That does happen but in my opinion NOT by the average politican that runs to serve the public. 

I've known many politicians mainly lower level that make sacrifices in doing their job.

How many people actually know a politician other than just voting for or against them ?

I'LL BET THAT  MOST   HAVE NEVER MET A POLITICIAN IN PERSON.   

I met Mike Dovilla, an Ohio State House representative, in an effort to let him hear my oppostion to the ill-conceived Senate Bill 5 back in 2011. While I give him credit for meeting, he went ahead and voted along party lines despite the public being opposed to the bill. 

The bill passed, and we had to get a grassroots effort petition to put it on the ballot. Thankfully, the voters of Ohio overturned the bill in a blowout 62-38% election.

Guess what? The bill was introduced by Shannon Jones, a representative from Springboro, Ohio who had nothing to lose because of term limits. She followed (along with 16 of her colleagues in the Ohio Senate) party orders instead of the will of the people/constituents. 

Imagine now a federal legislative body with term limits, and the chaos that could ensue. I will never, ever forget this. I honestly wore out a pair of sneakers walking around and obtaining signatures to get the bill overturned. 

Be like Bob. Oppose term limits LOL.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

That's where the uninformed voter comes in. I blame voters for enabling that to happen, not the politician. 

Two things that the "average" person doesn't *really want to see or really know about :

1. Making sausage   -or-  2. Making laws. 

Kind of the  "just tell me about it when it's over"  group of voters.

Edited by mjp28
  • Haha 1

• mjp28 changed the title to January 3 - BALLOT #3 now #13 goes on ..... McCarthy headed for another big  LOSS.
9 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And let me repeat this again as far as qualifications: there is not a single man in America who is truly capable of running each and every aspect of a junior high school football team. Let alone a country the size of the usa.

WSS

Totally agree

Just now, Browns149 said:

Totally agree

Plus, and I've said this before, you me probably many of the guys on this board are capable of acting as president of the United States if we were forced into the role probably at least as well as many of the candidates who have been in government their whole lives. First order of business just select a bunch of people who you've grown to trust at least somewhat over the last couple decade or so following politics and ask their opinions.

Furthermore they should be as like-minded as you can possibly find. I think we're president Trump made a mistake with selecting people who were very competent at their business jobs and not committed to him. That means these guys are hard-nosed players that want to do things their way. If that doesn't go inside with what I want it does me no good. Just like hiring great assistant coaches who don't like your system.

WSS