THE BROWNS BOARD

What Is Wealthy/Rich?

Axe

Simple question...

A lot of things seem to be painted as the haves vs the have not's .. A disparity of wealth..

So where do you consider the line of demarcation? The point of where you shouldn't have that much despite your life's efforts and should share with the lazy,,, err, less fortunate..

Net worth of

$500K?

$1,000,000?

What is wealthy in your estimation?

Let's check with the IRS for a start annual taxable income :

Married, filing jointly

Tax rate

Taxable income bracket

Tax owed

10%

$0 to $19,900

10% of taxable income.... you're poor.

12%

$19,901 to $81,050

$1,990 plus 12% of the amount over $19,900.....at about  $50,000 you can start investing and spend on a few nice things.

22%

$81,051 to $172,750

$9,328 plus 22% of the amount over $81,050......my definition of the new upper middle class.

24%

$172,751 to $329,850

$29,502 plus 24% of the amount over $172,750.......very comfortable and can invest a good amount. 

32%

$329,851 to $418,850

$67,206 plus 32% of the amount over $329,850......the professionals. 

35%

$418,851 to $628,300

$95,686 plus 35% of the amount over $418,850

37%

$628,301 or more

$168,993.50 plus 37% of the amount over $628,300.....the beginning of the comfortable wealthy club.

❤️   And I love these kinds of studies,  gives you a better understanding of who is really wealthy in America.  Personally a net wealth of $2 million or more would get you close to being comfortable. 

Research Summary. There are more millionaires in the U.S. than you may think, and chances are you even know one or two. Here are some statistics about millionaires:  (2022)

• There are about 22 million millionaires in the U.S.

• 8.8 % of U.S. adults are millionaires.

• 33% of U.S. millionaires are women.

• Having $1 million puts you in the top 10% of wealth in the U.S.

• There are about 56.1 million millionaires globally, a 10.2% increase from 2019

6 hours ago, cccjwh said:

So, the thread was started just to cry about the wealthy having to pay taxes? Damn you guys cry about anything.

Haven't posted in a handful of days, but the last thread I was in was the MAGA group doing whatever they could to defend the very wealthy. Thinking Trump cares at all about the common man. Thinking tax cuts for billionaires somehow help them. Etc etc

16 hours ago, cccjwh said:

I don't care. We know you snowflakes run away whenever challenged at all. 

Oh you're a challenge all right. 

No one wants to waste time trying to explain to you what the thread topic actually addresses.

7 hours ago, cccjwh said:

So, the thread was started just to cry about the wealthy having to pay taxes? Damn you guys cry about anything.

And it wasn't that.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Haven't posted in a handful of days, but the last thread I was in was the MAGA group doing whatever they could to defend the very wealthy. Thinking Trump cares at all about the common man. Thinking tax cuts for billionaires somehow help them. Etc etc

Surely cccp must think you are crying too..lol

18 hours ago, Axe said:

Simple question...

A lot of things seem to be painted as the haves vs the have not's .. A disparity of wealth..

So where do you consider the line of demarcation? The point of where you shouldn't have that much despite your life's efforts and should share with the lazy,,, err, less fortunate..

Net worth of

$500K?

$1,000,000?

I think I see what you are doing there Axe. Fishing for liberals? LOL

Really not a valid question. To begin with there is no right answer, being that it's highly subjective...except if you're a liberal then you have all the answers.

19 hours ago, Axe said:

Simple question...

Net worth of

$500K?

$1,000,000?

I used to move furniture.

Wealthy to me is when you have a rec room that sits idle, along with a dining room that's never used, a treadmill that's all dusty, & your own maid/cleaning lady. Pretty much describes Beechwood, Ohio lol.

• Haha 1

Some of this board's members are retired. Some are not. I always had the frame of mind that if you didn't have $1 mil cash/liquid assets then you'd better not think of retiring. :( Now, with the present rate of inflation I'm starting to think that number is somewhere north of $2mil.. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Axe said:

Some of this board's members are retired. Some are not. I always had the frame of mind that if you didn't have $1 mil cash/liquid assets then you'd better not think of retiring. :( Now, with the present rate of inflation I'm starting to think that number is somewhere north of $2mil.. 

And the inflation is complicated by the drop in the stock market.

WSS