THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns cuts to 53

nickers

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

I think some of us would be a little more understanding with Schwartz if he wasn't being crammed into our starting line-up - costing us the ability to extend drives.  Even worse, as mentioned on the video - he doesn't offer this team 1 other function aside from dropping footballs and running himself into coverages DBs really appreciate.

This is going to be controversial but I gotta say it.  Kenny Pickett was a 4 year starter with the same tiny hands that were supposed to make Joe Burrow a horrible pick.  He went to a division rival at the 20th pick overall who already signed a previous 1st round pick (Trubisky) to be their starter while Pickett learns.  If he turns out to be the real deal, there's going to be a TON of people wondering why the Browns didn't just keep Baker since they exercised the 5th year option (to be like Trubisky is right now) until Pickett is ready.  

Funny, because up until the moment his name was called, I didn't realize how many boxes Kenny checked for my QB scouting preference. 

- Height, weight 

- Small(er) school.  So you know he isn't being floated by 5star talent around him. 

- Works in a multiple system with emphasis on pro style language and route concepts. 

- isn't RPO dominant 

- patience in the pocket and willingness to take calculated risks downfield 

My early estimation is VERY favorable of Pickett.  It would be in the Steelers best interest to start Trubisky, given their Oline situation.  At that point, because of coaching and ownership stability, they can work to invest resources in the Oline through trade, FA and the draft, before handing Kenny the keys to the car.  Saves getting your rookie 1st rounder from having his ass kicked. 

The problem is projecting that far ahead and believing that talent will be there.    Let's not forget that, at the start of their respective final seasons, Matt Barkley, Cardale Jones, Landry Jones,  and a small group of others were thought of as high picks, until their flaws were exposed with further scrutiny.  

Have I enjoyed the media circus and bringing on a questionable character like Watson? Hell no.      However if he does at some point pick up where he left off from 2020, having the security of a young, franchise cornerstone is a luxury this team hasn't enjoyed since the early days of Bernie....  and I wasn't even alive then, for that perspective. 

Could this all blow up in our faces? Sure, but any plan can.  It's all a risk.  The Browns went with the 'bet big, win big' this time around. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

To be fair Flugs, JOK is a speed guy who Berry brought in that looked very, very good last year, and could easily be on that list of talented players. 

But yes, Schwartz is only here because the guys who drafted him are still in charge. 

thing is (not that i like schwartz) is that we do not give up on are draft picks as past regimes did I mean it can be hard enough to hit on your picks but to just give up on them and not to develop them  is it any wonder why we sucked for so long

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

This guy nails it on Schwartz. Why is he even on the team when he adds nothing of value?

Because this group drafted him and if they give up on him this quickly it makes them look bad. I guess it is better to you know play a hurt QB rather than a healthy one...... SMH. You cannot teach a guy how to catch a ball at his age. You either have the hands or you don't.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, syd said:

thing is (not that i like schwartz) is that we do not give up on are draft picks as past regimes did I mean it can be hard enough to hit on your picks but to just give up on them and not to develop them  is it any wonder why we sucked for so long

I actually have to disagree here. Teams give up on draft picks, and they should. Good teams do it all the time. You are thinking about the Browns of 5-15 years ago when the coaches and or front office was always turning over, so maybe then we gave up in some players to early because they were not the new regimes "guys". But with our front office stable we should get rid of people quickly if they are not worthy. We have much better talent and depth now. Does it make sense that Mike Harley is on the practice squad for example and Swartz is on the active roster. One played well during the preseason the other looked terrible. So who else with talent is not even on the team because we kept a guy who can't catch the ball? 

Are you old even to remember Braylon Edwards well? Receivers who don't catch the ball need to go! Really catching the ball is most of their job. They can run a good route, use speed etc but if they don't catch the ball than it doesn't matter what else they do. Bill Belicheck wouldn't keep him around with him dropping balls like that.

1 hour ago, Browns57 said:

I actually have to disagree here. Teams give up on draft picks, and they should. Good teams do it all the time. You are thinking about the Browns of 5-15 years ago when the coaches and or front office was always turning over, so maybe then we gave up in some players to early because they were not the new regimes "guys". But with our front office stable we should get rid of people quickly if they are not worthy. We have much better talent and depth now. Does it make sense that Mike Harley is on the practice squad for example and Swartz is on the active roster. One played well during the preseason the other looked terrible. So who else with talent is not even on the team because we kept a guy who can't catch the ball? 

Are you old even to remember Braylon Edwards well? Receivers who don't catch the ball need to go! Really catching the ball is most of their job. They can run a good route, use speed etc but if they don't catch the ball than it doesn't matter what else they do. Bill Belicheck wouldn't keep him around with him dropping balls like that.

Corey coleman didn't make it 2 seasons here... Dorsey knew when to pull the plug...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Corey Coleman did make it two seasons here.

Doresey pulled the plug by trading him prior to a third season with the Browns.

Feel better now asshole?

15 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Corey Coleman did make it two seasons here.

Doresey pulled the plug by trading him prior to a third season with the Browns.

I just noticed under your avatar where it says interests it now reads: "Being legendary on TBB." 🤣.  I feel irresponsibly responsible...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Corey coleman didn't make it 2 seasons here...

He was part of our 3 Thug Receiver set.  Him and his buddies beat somebody up one time.  Another was in some fraud scheme of some sort.  Credit cards maybe.  And perhaps the 3rd was Josh Gordon?  It was a while ago now.

Coleman has done some stints on practice squads.  I think the Giants tried to get some use out of him.

14 hours ago, syd said:

9 hours ago, Browns57 said:

u cannot teach a guy how to catch a ball at his age. You either have the hands or you don't.

Schwartz is a back burner project at best, he doesn't contribute anything to this team. He is not a good fit for this team. He is a better fit for someone like KC who has a wealth of talent and a franchise QB like Mahommes that they can bury him on the depth chart and try to develope him. Our QB situation is up in the air right now and we need as much contributors as possible. I seriously don't understand this front office. You keep a guy like Schwartz but cut Rosen who outplayed the designated Starter and then bring in ANOTHER qb. I thought Rosen played well enough to earn a spot and I wanted to see more of him. I just have a really bad feeling about this season.

On 9/1/2022 at 12:53 AM, Orion said:

Glad we all like John Kelly.  Glad he's gainfully employed with us.  But he needs a lot of bad stuff to happen to our RB room if he's gonna wear a uniform on Sundays.

Or he needs Berry to get off his ass and trade one of the two backs with 1 year left of their contracts and extend the other.

Berry is starting to lose a little luster IMO.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Dammit, I should probably change that 😁

I dunno, that kinda had keeper written all over it.  I gotta stop thinking I can drink beverages anywhere near the laptop.  

Edited by Flugel
my speel checkher is on stryke
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Berry is starting to lose a little luster IMO.

agreed ! Trading for Watson// may have strapped his 2022 cap to roll into next season? Maybe Berry is still getting some other teams GM's trade backlash ?  but there's some nice vet FA's still on the market.. Or are they?  

Quietly.. Berry in 3 season's, has taken Dorsey's mixed nucleus of vets.. to hope on 

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/09/01/assistant-gm-glenn-cook-says-browns-content-giving-young-receivers-roster-opportunities-to-grow/

Berry has critics as not being good on his mid-round drafting.. He's got a strong chance to prove them wrong with this 2022 draft class.. 

Berry better get use to this ^^ 

19 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

agreed ! Trading for Watson// may have strapped his 2022 cap to roll into next season? Maybe Berry is still getting some other teams GM's trade backlash ?  but there's some nice vet FA's still on the market.. Or are they?  

Quietly.. Berry in 3 season's, has taken Dorsey's mixed nucleus of vets.. to hope on 

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/09/01/assistant-gm-glenn-cook-says-browns-content-giving-young-receivers-roster-opportunities-to-grow/

Berry has critics as not being good on his mid-round drafting.. He's got a strong chance to prove them wrong with this 2022 draft class.. 

Berry better get use to this ^^ 

Berry has a massive ego problem and holds on to shit draft choices like Schwarts too long.. Haven't you noticed all 24 of Berry's picks are still on the team? At least John Dorsey traded off Corey Coleman realizing he was SHIT!

9 minutes ago, nickers said:

Berry has a massive ego problem and holds on to shit draft choices like Schwarts too long.. Haven't you noticed all 24 of Berry's picks are still on the team? At least John Dorsey traded off Corey Coleman realizing he was SHIT!

What real choice do you/we have? not'a

translation..Berry looks to give his draftee's a NFL 3rd season look👀 (might take all of 1- 3 real games?).. John Dorsey had the nutz to cut Cory Coleman on a Aug. 6th in 2018 ..

Dorsey's bold statement on Sashi... "Sashi didn't get real players" fans just get the sparkler excuses // I would of had paid Fuller or TY after Schwartz PS game 2.. but than again, seeing WR David Bell play in PS game 3👀 could make me just as wrong?

I'll take the new path of DB/Woods III can take stone-hands spot.. Stef controls who will play     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Yeah, I don't mind if there's young lineman on either side of the ball getting developed or a sensible game day workload rotation.  Keep in mind, we have an elite RG (Teller) today that was in the developmental stages (not starting) when he was on his 1st team in Buffalo before Dorsey traded for him.  Unless they're 1st round picks on offense, defensive linemen tend to crack starting rotations quicker even if it's not a huge workload per say.

If Berry thinks all someone like Schwartz needs is good coaching in order to Dr Frankenstein him up into someone our AFC North opponents can't compete with - our OWNER hasn't learned a thing!   Today, he still doesn't even look like a football player.  He just looks like someone that can run straight ahead really fast.  He's not running routes with his eyes open. If he is, he's not spotting the football very well or aware of where the possible DBs are that he should be adjusting his route because of.  This preseason, he looks more lost than any/all of the newcomers to this team. 

My worry is there is going to be a really short fuse in our fanbase with many of the symptoms (coaches/coordinators) as opposed to the problem (Berry). For example, square pegging a round hole into the starting line-up of our passing game because he wants to be right about his epic reach with Schwartz at WR at the expense of developing better football players with more upside.  When a QB has to depend on a WR that can't catch or read/see the coverage or run the correct route (all inter-related) - building trust in that WR becomes impossible.  Somehow the "yeah but he's really fast" is a million miles away from relevance to helping this passing game. 

Let's just hope my gut is wrong here...

Edited by Flugel
Because I still need summer school
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Neo said:

Schwartz is a back burner project at best, he doesn't contribute anything to this team. He is not a good fit for this team. He is a better fit for someone like KC who has a wealth of talent and a franchise QB like Mahommes that they can bury him on the depth chart and try to develope him. Our QB situation is up in the air right now and we need as much contributors as possible. I seriously don't understand this front office. You keep a guy like Schwartz but cut Rosen who outplayed the designated Starter and then bring in ANOTHER qb. I thought Rosen played well enough to earn a spot and I wanted to see more of him. I just have a really bad feeling about this season.

Rosen played against the 3rd team defenses in his games. And Brissett only played just over one quarter and without Jerome Ford who played so well in the other games. Dobbs played against first and second team guys and easily played the best. Rosen is exactly where he should be (on the practice squad). 

14 hours ago, Orion said:

...and with the 3rd string offense.

In theory, we have 5 QB's.  

That's an important point when someone says he did it against a 3rd string - because he's also throwing to 3rd string guys that probably won't make the team.  It nullifies the perceived advantage or at least it should. 

Then again we're talking about the Cleveland Browns who are tentatively scheduled to realize they are in a passing era on December 4th of this year.  For now, Andrew Berry has a school-girl crush on Schwartz so I didn't see any advantage the current starting QB sentenced to him had over Rosen throwing to guys on the 3rd string.  

Along the same line, is Josh Dobbs really this good all of a sudden?  Or, is he just a beneficiary of guys that actually know how to run routes, get open, and (above all) catch passes that hit their hands?  

15 hours ago, Orion said:

In theory, we have 5 QB's.  

I'm guessing they have a plan?

Watson suspended

Bissette named starter

Dobbs wants Bissette' starting job

Mond inactive weekly? (cost a 53 spot/but roster protected)

Rosen most likely candidate to not get plucked from PS? 

2 horse race to starter.. 2 horse race to inactive list

staying tuned 

19 hours ago, Browns57 said:

Rosen is exactly where he should be (on the practice squad). 

I agree.  We need to remember, this is already his 5th season so if he doesn't start showing more consistency soon - he may be running out of NFL practice squad opportunities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Along the same line, is Josh Dobbs really this good all of a sudden?  Or, is he just a beneficiary of guys that actually know how to run routes, get open, and (above all) catch passes that hit their hands?  

Excellent question. But to me the answer is that the ball arrives where it's supposed to arrive on time. I think he's just playing better myself, but we'll know soon enough if Brissett gets lifted for Dobbs to come in if we fail to move the ball due to QB issues.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I'm guessing they have a plan?

Watson suspended

Bissette named starter

Dobbs wants Bissette' starting job

Mond inactive weekly? (cost a 53 spot/but roster protected)

Rosen most likely candidate to not get plucked from PS? 

2 horse race to starter.. 2 horse race to inactive list

staying tuned 

Dobbs is looking a lot like he looked at UT.  Very good at times; but the better opponents exposed his vulnerabilities. When that happened, he stopped looking to throw when he got outside of the pocket.  The more he repeated it, the more teams noticed on film there was less risk for DBs to worry about him seeing anyone getting behind them.  

Am I wrong to be more worried about the WR Corps and their ability to help whoever is playing QB?   In my lifetime following the NFL/Browns, in order for backup QBs to achieve and sustain success - everyone has to step up their game.  Does the WR Corps offer this to whoever will be starting at QB until week 12?  Do we have 1 WR other than Cooper that could even start for Ohio State right now?   I don't really get the feeling they trust DPJ - but he can only be as good as they allow him to be.  I think he has some untapped goodies I'd like to see more of.  I think Bell can be a very good WR if/when he gets the reps and experience.  

2 PS spots remain unfilled..

No 53 man cut has been announced to add T/G Joe Haeg.. Nor has Conklin officially been ruled out of week 1

Cabot confirms a 2nd signing..

Confirming #BrownsCLEBrowns2022SeasonEmoji.png have agreed to terms on a 1 year deal with TE Jesse James

Conklin back on 4 week IR? or 2 on 53, move to PS?

as of Sunday.. 2 adds need room to come in

Pos No. Player 1 No Player 2 No Player 3 No Player 4 No Player 5
OFFENSE
LWR 2 Cooper, Amari T/Dal 10 Schwartz, Anthony 21/3            
RWR 11 Peoples-Jones, Donovan 20/6 12 Woods II, Michael 22/6            
SWR 18 Bell, David 22/3                
LT 71 Wills Jr., Jedrick 20/1 66 Hudson III, James 21/4            
LG 75 BITONIO, JOEL 14/2 72 Froholdt, Hjalte P/Hou            
C 55 Pocic, Ethan U/Sea 68 Dunn, Michael SF20            
RG 77 Teller, Wyatt T/Buf 79 Forbes, Drew 19/6            
RT 78 Conklin, Jack U/Ten 74 HUBBARD, CHRIS U/Pit            
TE 85 Njoku, David 17/1 88 Bryant, Harrison 20/4            
QB 7 Brissett, Jacoby U/Mia 15 Dobbs, Joshua U/Pit 00 Mond, Kellen W/Min        
RB 24 Chubb, Nick 18/2 27 Hunt, Kareem SF19 30 Johnson, D'Ernest SF19 34 Ford, Jerome 22/5 25 Felton Jr., Demetric 21/6
DEFENSE
LDE 95 Garrett, Myles 17/1 69 Winovich, Chase T/NE 58 Thomas, Isaiah 22/7        
LDT 96 Elliott, Jordan 20/3 93 Togiai, Tommy 21/4            
RDT 99 Bryan, Taven U/Jax 97 Winfrey, Perrion 22/4            
RDE 90 Clowney, Jadeveon U/Ten 94 Wright, Alex 22/3            
WLB 28 Owusu-Koramoah, Jeremiah 21/2 44 Takitaki, Sione 19/3 42 Fields II, Tony 21/5        
MLB 5 Walker Jr., Anthony U/Ind 50 Phillips, Jacob 20/3 51 Kunaszyk, Jordan SF22        
LCB 21 Ward, Denzel 18/1 38 Green, A.J. CF20            
SS 22 Delpit, Grant 20/2 33 Harrison Jr., Ronnie T/Jax 37 Bell, D'Anthony CF22        
FS 43 Johnson III, John U/LAR 39 LeCounte III, Richard 21/5            
RCB 26 Williams, Greedy 19/2 23 Emerson Jr., Martin 22/3            
NB 20 Newsome II, Greg 21/1                
SPECIAL TEAMS
PT 13 Bojorquez, Corey U/GB                
PK 3 York, Cade 22/4                
LS 47 HUGHLETT, CHARLEY P/KC

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1