THE BROWNS BOARD

Suicide Prevention hotline

I don't mean to sound cynical but I am. I have friends on Facebook that spend a lot of time trying to get people to donate The Suicide Prevention Hotline foundations etc etc. It's not that I don't have some empathy for people who are considering taking their own lives for whatever misery has befallen them but I have to wonder exactly how useful the hotline could be? Would someone who is seriously considering kick his own bucket think first of calling some random stranger on an 800 number for advice?

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't mean to sound cynical but I am. I have friends on Facebook that spend a lot of time trying to get people to donate The Suicide Prevention Hotline foundations etc etc. It's not that I don't have some empathy for people who are considering taking their own lives for whatever misery has befallen them but I have to wonder exactly how useful the hotline could be? Would someone who is seriously considering kick his own bucket think first of calling some random stranger on an 800 number for advice?

WSS

My Uncle hung himself when I was stationed on Okinawa.  He was always the type to make jokes and kid around just about anything.  I think if someone is thinking about it but not sure, this can help steer them towards treatment.  The VA also has a hotline and it has helped some.

• Thanks 1

My understanding is if they can delay someone from committing suicide that is a success. But I don't think there is any studies that show it will keep them from killing themselves in the long run. The hotlines can also inform people about other programs that might help them as well. If they can get an appointment, anyways.

Do Suicide Hotlines Work? (vice.com)

Draper says that the hotline has consistent success with reducing a caller’s distress in the moment, and even their suicidal feelings. Hotline operators will often follow up with a caller after the initial call, and there’s research to support the idea that a call can make someone feel better and keep them safe in the few weeks that follow. But there have been no comprehensive scientific studies showing that calling a suicide hotline prevents deaths by suicide over time. “It’s an important question. I wish we could answer it more concretely,” Draper says. “You could say you saved lives,” in the moment of the call, he adds. “But by the same token, you don’t know if they’re going to be okay later. We like to presume they are.”

Since I really don't know the numbers or the answers I'm not a doctor and I think the statistics are probably pretty vague nor can I read anyone else's mind.. I would have to guess that anybody that called a Suicide Prevention Hotline is not really serious about taking his life. He wants someone to talk to. And somebody that wants somebody to talk to isn't really serious about doing the Dutch. We're talking about a cry for help or a cry for attention or I need to be recognized. Hence I never take it seriously when somebody talks about multiple suicide attempts.

WSS

36 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Since I really don't know the numbers or the answers I'm not a doctor and I think the statistics are probably pretty vague nor can I read anyone else's mind.. I would have to guess that anybody that called a Suicide Prevention Hotline is not really serious about taking his life. He wants someone to talk to. And somebody that wants somebody to talk to isn't really serious about doing the Dutch. We're talking about a cry for help or a cry for attention or I need to be recognized. Hence I never take it seriously when somebody talks about multiple suicide attempts.

WSS

When they take estrogen injections... It really fucks up their mood and personality... They become crabby and depressed... So none of this surprises me... And these Fuck hats want to give kids Hormone blockers... Jesus!