THE BROWNS BOARD

One for Tex

Interesting. I just finished a Nelson Demille novel entitled The Deserter, most of which takes place in Caracas. And guess where the dangerous area is. Yep, it was Petare and more specifically the Barrio 24 de Julio in the northern part of Petare and very near Julian Blanco which they say they are in there in the video around the 15:58 mark. In fact Petare has a number of Barrios within it's boundaries where the poorest of the poor live. The short year I lived in Caracas I lived in an area called Los Palos Grandes which is around 4 miles or so from Petare. I sure would not go there now. Way too dangerous for Americans for sure. She even points out Mt. Avila from the "balcony" of her house. Our home we rented was at the base of that mountain. Very strange to revisit 60 years later. Thanks for the video. Brought back old memories of our first two weeks there as well. We lived in the Hotel Tamanaco while our Dad completed Spanish language school. Great view of Mt. Avila across the way from it and the first time I'd ever seen a mountain in my life.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:09 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Interesting. I just finished a Nelson Demille novel entitled The Deserter, most of which takes place in Caracas. And guess where the dangerous area is. Yep, it was Petare and more specifically the Barrio 24 de Julio in the northern part of Petare and very near Julian Blanco which they say they are in there in the video around the 15:58 mark. In fact Petare has a number of Barrios within it's boundaries where the poorest of the poor live. The short year I lived in Caracas I lived in an area called Los Palos Grandes which is around 4 miles or so from Petare. I sure would not go there now. Way too dangerous for Americans for sure. She even points out Mt. Avila from the "balcony" of her house. Our home we rented was at the base of that mountain. Very strange to revisit 60 years later. Thanks for the video. Brought back old memories of our first two weeks there as well. We lived in the Hotel Tamanaco while our Dad completed Spanish language school. Great view of Mt. Avila across the way from it and the first time I'd ever seen a mountain in my life.

Kind of reminds me of the Phillippines.  A few times I would pick up a girl and she would take me home.  And her whole family lived there.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Kind of reminds me of the Phillippines.  A few times I would pick up a girl and she would take me home.  And her whole family lived there.

Well just for those few 10 months living in Caracas I had one of those 17 year old Venezuelan beauties living right next door who enjoyed giving this then 14 y.o+ boy conversational Spanish lessons. I tell ya if you've seen those Miss Universe and Miss World Venezuelans, then you know why I was deeply in love.😍😋😘😛

Take a modern day trip to the top of Mt. Avila via the teleferico (cable car) which we did around 1961. With my hearing aids in I don't need the subtitles at all. Venezuelan Spanish is different from Castillian Spanish for sure. The one thing I did not understand was not in translation, but the price she quotes in Bolivars to dollars was back to the old rate of 5Bs to the $1. That made no sense because the going rate elsewhere is over 5 Million Bs to the 1$. Makes me wonder if they found a way to get back to the rate of 60 years ago somehow. Anyway I still have some of the old silver 5B coins.