THE BROWNS BOARD

Ranked Choice Voting

MLD Woody

1 hour ago, VaporTrail said:

I've paid attention to the last few French elections, which have two rounds of voting, and the mudslinging seems to be about the same as our shitshow. It's been bizarre watching Macron decry Le Pen in his 2017 campaign, to watching him actually adopt some populist policies during his tenure. 

If, in this new system, some people's votes will count more, that means others (mine) will count less. I'm selfishly all about maximizing the political power that my vote carries. I agree with Gorka. For me to agree to give up some of my voting power, I'd have to see Congress go back to pre-2013, where you needed 60 votes to pass bills and these pricks on the hill actually had to work with each other. Not sure how we get out of this vicious cycle. 

Honest here, but why would you vote count for less? I may have missed something in our back and forth. 

A quick look at the French election cycle, and it seems to be greatly condensed compared to ours. According to wiki, Macron announced March 3rd he was running for reelection, the first round of the election was on April 10th, and the run off between the top two is on April 24th. That already seems like an improvement over our years long process. I know some countries have rules around when campaigning can officially happen (not sure if France is one of those) but that would be a great thing as well. So you don't get two years of a politician and then two years of them just running a campaign while in office.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2022 at 11:58 PM, MLD Woody said:

Honest here, but why would you vote count for less? I may have missed something in our back and forth. 

We are a purple state when it comes to the electoral college. In the presidential election, our individual votes count more than an individual vote from California or Alaska. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

We are a purple state when it comes to the electoral college. In the presidential election, our individual votes count more than an individual vote from California or Alaska. 

No, I mean why would someone's vote count less as a result of ranked choice voting. 

I know the electoral college makes individual votes matter more or less by state. Wildly sometimes. I get that system is not great and outdated.

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

No, I mean why would someone's vote count less as a result of ranked choice voting. 

I know the electoral college makes individual votes matter more or less by state. Wildly sometimes. I get that system is not great and outdated.

Because if we switch to ranked choice voting for the presidential election, that will mean the electoral college goes away. Thus, my vote would count less in presidential elections. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

Because if we switch to ranked choice voting for the presidential election, that will mean the electoral college goes away. Thus, my vote would count less in presidential elections. 

Why would it necessarily mean we'd have to get rid of ranked the electoral college? Could we not use ranked choice voting in each state to determine where their electoral college votes go? 

Also, in the hypothetical where the electoral college does go away, our votes would now count more or less relative to another person in a different state depending on that state's population. This is all based on math though and not considering a hard red/blue state vs purple.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Why would it necessarily mean we'd have to get rid of ranked the electoral college? Could we not use ranked choice voting in each state to determine where their electoral college votes go? 

I suppose you could. I just assumed it'd be the same format as other national elections.

6 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

I suppose you could. I just assumed it'd be the same format as other national elections.

Even in that instance your vote would count less relative to some people and more relative to others. I'd need to understand what the average vote is "worth". 

But ranked choice voting doesn't inherently make anyone's vote count as less. It just helps us move on from a two party system and give us a better chance of a candidate evetykre tolerates