THE BROWNS BOARD

Ranked Choice Voting

MLD Woody

I wonder if there is a mental illness that defines those who don't believe in anything, won't learn anything,

and demand that everything has to be different.

still won't make them feel good about themselves.

that might be woodpecker on the right, sure.

61Zi0ltQc-L._AC_UX569_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

woodpecker COULD do his own lookups and reading on the internet.....

maybe the feathers get in the way of pecking on a keyboard.

15 Reasons Why Electoral College Is Important? - Curious ...

15 Benefits Of Electoral College For Country. 1. Electoral College Is A Mechanism For Stable Elections. 2. Electoral College Ensures A Majority Vote. 3. Every Person's Vote Matters In Electoral College. 4. Electoral College Provides A Fairer Representation.

Why The Electoral College Is Still Important

The Electoral College is important because it ensures the President of the United States is selected by the constitutional majority. Basically, the Electoral College magnifies the margin of victory and grants legitimacy to the winners. Let's put this into perspective. Hypothetically, Hilary Clinton's popular vote can increase or decreased from ...

Why the Electoral College Matters More than than the ...

Why the Electoral College Matters More than than the Popular Vote . The issue of winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college is fraught with uninformed debate. Our country has always been a state to state compact. It's embedded in our name: United States of America.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I posted what I thought was a pretty good example of some pros and cons.

I know it's all us versus them for you.

WSS

ha, right, yeah.... 

I'll break my rule here and say this:

When a thread leads off asking for your opinion on a topic, normally you give your opinion. That can include a link or video, but hopefully the poster would add something of their own. At the very least they wouldn't just post a video listing both the pro's and con's... as that would make no sense...

Maybe you were being dense on purpose, or maybe I could be more clear... here - what are your thoughts on ranked choice voting? It seems to have a lot of positives and I can't think of a compelling reason not to go to it. What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

woodpecker COULD do his own lookups and reading on the internet.....

maybe the feathers get in the way of pecking on a keyboard.

15 Reasons Why Electoral College Is Important? - Curious ...

15 Benefits Of Electoral College For Country. 1. Electoral College Is A Mechanism For Stable Elections. 2. Electoral College Ensures A Majority Vote. 3. Every Person's Vote Matters In Electoral College. 4. Electoral College Provides A Fairer Representation.

Why The Electoral College Is Still Important

The Electoral College is important because it ensures the President of the United States is selected by the constitutional majority. Basically, the Electoral College magnifies the margin of victory and grants legitimacy to the winners. Let's put this into perspective. Hypothetically, Hilary Clinton's popular vote can increase or decreased from ...

Why the Electoral College Matters More than than the ...

Why the Electoral College Matters More than than the Popular Vote . The issue of winning the popular vote and losing the electoral college is fraught with uninformed debate. Our country has always been a state to state compact. It's embedded in our name: United States of America.

hey, senile old man, I said nothing about the electoral college (but you gotta love your sources regardless)

you can do ranked choice voting and still keep the (broken) electoral college as it is

22 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

ha, right, yeah.... 

I'll break my rule here and say this:

When a thread leads off asking for your opinion on a topic, normally you give your opinion. That can include a link or video, but hopefully the poster would add something of their own. At the very least they wouldn't just post a video listing both the pro's and con's... as that would make no sense...

Maybe you were being dense on purpose, or maybe I could be more clear... here - what are your thoughts on ranked choice voting? It seems to have a lot of positives and I can't think of a compelling reason not to go to it. What are your thoughts?

Well, I didn't really see enough on the video push my opinion very far over the center. 

Then again,  if it means so much to you as that you would get upset over that then there must be something fucked up about it. 😏

WSS

liberals always want to change everything, even if it has zero affect, or change for the worse.

that way, they can feel good about owning the change.

I take it as a challenge to getting rid of the electoral college,

not a solution to any problem.

19 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Any arguments here against it?

Seems like a pretty simple way to make a more fair election, reduce the impact of "dark" money, etc etc. 

Some states have already implemented this system

How does it make the election more fair? How does it reduce the impact of "dark" money?

Definitely not for the general election of the POTUS.

However, it can be subject to debate for state and local elections because it doesn't appear to be another scheme aimed to benefit demonrats ...as does eliminating the Electoral College, requiring no voter ID, and allowing illegals, sixteen yr. olds, and felons vote.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Well, I didn't really see enough on the video push my opinion very far over the center. 

Then again,  if it means so much to you as that you would get upset over that then there must be something fucked up about it. 😏

WSS

I'm not upset about anything

What is the "center" position here? 

7 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

How does it make the election more fair? How does it reduce the impact of "dark" money?

At the presidential level we seem to be in a cycle of people picking the lesser of two evils. You don't like either main candidate, but you really don't like one, and you want your vote to matter, so you vote for the other. Ranked Choice Voting at least allows other options than the main two parties to be viable. People that would prefer a third party candidate can now vote for that person, and if they don't win, their second choice can still be the candidate they least dislike of the main two. 

Anything that allows us to move away from our broken two party system is a positive in my book. And in doing that I think it makes the elections more fair for all candidates running as they'd actually have a shot. Not to mention there is a growing share of independents in the country. It also eliminates the need for a bunch of runoff elections but that would be up to the state.

If the number of viable candidates is higher it at least spreads around the funding and theoretically reduces the impact. If it isn't just funding candidate A to bear candidate B, there are now viable C, D, etc, then pushing in funds to beat a certain candidate is less obvious. I mean it'll still be there, we'll still have lobbyists, we'll still have corruption... but it's a step in the right direction. 

Idk I'm just not hearing any great reason not to do it. I think any movement away from a two party system is a good one. 

11 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Idk I'm just not hearing any great reason not to do it. I think any movement away from a two party system is a good one. 

That is the best reason not to do it, you're always wrong!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I would prefer both parties endorsing better candidates.

Everyone would, but they really don't seem to have any motivation to do so. 

The campaign is about why the other person is bad. Why their policies are bad. Attack ad after attack ad. 

Throw in other parties, other viable candidates, and now you're not campaigning on just the other candidate being bad, you now need to campaign on how you are the best option. 

It also helps certain people's votes matter more. Because with the current system, if you're in a solid blue or red state, it really doesn't matter at all

On 4/16/2022 at 1:31 PM, MLD Woody said:

Everyone would, but they really don't seem to have any motivation to do so. 

The campaign is about why the other person is bad. Why their policies are bad. Attack ad after attack ad. 

Throw in other parties, other viable candidates, and now you're not campaigning on just the other candidate being bad, you now need to campaign on how you are the best option. 

It also helps certain people's votes matter more. Because with the current system, if you're in a solid blue or red state, it really doesn't matter at all

I've paid attention to the last few French elections, which have two rounds of voting, and the mudslinging seems to be about the same as our shitshow. It's been bizarre watching Macron decry Le Pen in his 2017 campaign, to watching him actually adopt some populist policies during his tenure. 

If, in this new system, some people's votes will count more, that means others (mine) will count less. I'm selfishly all about maximizing the political power that my vote carries. I agree with Gorka. For me to agree to give up some of my voting power, I'd have to see Congress go back to pre-2013, where you needed 60 votes to pass bills and these pricks on the hill actually had to work with each other. Not sure how we get out of this vicious cycle. 

So this is interesting because it flies in the face of the whole "popular vote should win" idea which I think is a good thing. By that metric A should be the winner of a fairly close three man race. It seems weighted, especially in this polarized political climate, to usually produce a compromise candidate which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I bet if the 2020 election was contested in a fashion where it was mandatory to rank the candidates either the green party or libertarian party would be in office. It would force people to have at least some cursory knowledge of the other parties. 

• Upvote 1