THE BROWNS BOARD

How do you deal with a big loss this season?

BrownsfaninPa

As a long time Browns fans, this team has had major losing seasons. Year after year we as fans support, and cheer for this team to be a great team as it once was, so long ago. It could not  get any worse after losing all 16 games several seasons ago. But  this team is looking good. After the 2020 season, and making it to the playoffs, all NFL sports anchors and reports were all cheering for the Browns. And then the start of the 2021 season. WOW, what energy, high expectations, predictions of this team going to the top. We had the offensive power and even more power on our defense. And what happened? This team struggled and just could not get a win to save their season. All of the NFL was surprised to see this team fall from grace in one season. Now its the off season and we as fans have to start over, hoping and pulling for this team to get back to their full potential and win this division. I will be cheering and hoping for a much better up coming season. And if this 2022 season becomes a losing season., then its back to saying the same old Browns, losers once again, division bottom dwellers. 

21 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

As a long time Browns fans, this team has had major losing seasons. Year after year we as fans support, and cheer for this team to be a great team as it once was, so long ago. It could not  get any worse after losing all 16 games several seasons ago. But  this team is looking good. After the 2020 season, and making it to the playoffs, all NFL sports anchors and reports were all cheering for the Browns. And then the start of the 2021 season. WOW, what energy, high expectations, predictions of this team going to the top. We had the offensive power and even more power on our defense. And what happened? This team struggled and just could not get a win to save their season. All of the NFL was surprised to see this team fall from grace in one season. Now its the off season and we as fans have to start over, hoping and pulling for this team to get back to their full potential and win this division. I will be cheering and hoping for a much better up coming season. And if this 2022 season becomes a losing season., then its back to saying the same old Browns, losers once again, division bottom dwellers. 

What sickens me is seeing the Bungholes in the SB... I hope the game winds up in a tie and the WOKE halftime show implodes!... On a serious note... Lets just get everyone back healthy and see what happens... But I don't want the rams to win it after the way OBJ tanked his way out of town... That little maggot deserves NOTHING!...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

Honestly, friend? It was learning not to take this stuff too seriously. For most of my 20's, my 'identity' was being a Browns and Ohio State football fan in many ways. I let it put me in a bad place and especially the mid 2010's ruined far too many weekends. I don't exactly know when the lightbulb hit me, but I finally realized it wasn't that serious. Especially with Ohio State, I was letting college kids dictate my whole weekend emotions. 

What it boiled down to for me was living my life (especially once my kiddo was born) NOT around football. Most weekends I'm watching, sure, but it's far from the days of absolutely having to plan for watching every second of both teams no matter what. Not looking in advance if say we want to do a Disney weekend to make sure I'm glued to the TV. I mean yeah, obviously big games are a different story but that week 7 game against the Raiders or w/e team? so be it.

It took some time, but adding that perspective makes the losses and the seasons just about fade instantly when they happen. I obviously ardently support the team, but I refuse now to let it bring me down. It just isn't worth it. So what's that why for you? Hope that's not too serious, but an honest answer.

• Thanks 1

Life is wonderful - too many aspects of life to be very Thankful for to be all in a slump over football.

I watched most games of the Browns, but I'm fine with watching them on record if we want to go fishing or camping, or helping a friend, etc.

Rooting for the Browns is fun, when they win, and when they don't, it's interesting to try to figure out why.

Recording is great ! It's a bit like doing a mock draft. Probably every pick will be wrong - it's fine - it's fun to try to figure it all out.

Being wrong on every pick, lol, doesn't affect real life. Nobody likes their team to lose- but one day...?... it will be sweeter to get to the superbowl and win it - because of all the disappointment.

Next draft - major additions to the WR position - I wonder if Landry wants to move on like objerk did.

"just wait til next year"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Life is wonderful - too many aspects of life to be very Thankful for to be all in a slump over football.

I watched most games of the Browns, but I'm fine with watching them on record if we want to go fishing or camping, or helping a friend, etc.

Rooting for the Browns is fun, when they win, and when they don't, it's interesting to try to figure out why.

Recording is great ! It's a bit like doing a mock draft. Probably every pick will be wrong - it's fine - it's fun to try to figure it all out.

Being wrong on every pick, lol, doesn't affect real life. Nobody likes their team to lose- but one day...?... it will be sweeter to get to the superbowl and win it - because of all the disappointment.

Next draft - major additions to the WR position - I wonder if Landry wants to move on like objerk did.

I think Jarvis winds up in NOLA

I don't get nearly as worked up about the Browns as I once did, but I still care a lot. The period 2008-2017, going 38-122 basically numbed me down. Losing to Baltimore & Pittsburgh still pisses me off quite a bit however. 

It's hard to believe this will be the 56th Superbowl, and the Browns haven't been in a single one. When you think about that, it's nearly an impossibility, but Cleveland sports continues to disappoint as a whole. Regarding the Browns only- I do believe Art Modell screwed us in every regard, but the simple fact that the Browns have only been over .500 THREE times since "coming back" in 1999, well that's another unbelieveable fact. Jeez, even Tampa Bay went from 0-26 to an NFC Title game in 3 years. 

It's truly hard to be patient as a fan, especially today. People are losing their minds wanting to fire everybody (Haslam perfected that even before it "became a thing"), or cut players. You've got family & spouses of players (not just on the Browns) in the NFL on social media complaining, even orchestrating player movement (OBJ). I really like Baker, but he needs to get off that crap too. 

I don't know. I'm an optimistic person in general, but there's some kind of a dark cloud that won't go away with the Browns. 2020 was such a great season (of corse very limited fans in the stands), the nosedive this year was a serious buzzkill. Injuries were a big part of it, but I do wonder if Haslam was interfering again regarding our QB situation....it just didn't make any sense putting Baker out there when he was clearly struggling. 

There's still room for optimism IMHO. Let's hope Berry & company have a great draft, get a couple good free agents and reload. The AFC North will continue to be tough, but I maintain it's winnable for the Browns. I'll renew my season tickets & hope for the best once again.

The KC loss last year really bothered me…I thought we pissed away a great opportunity…and you can’t expect to just easily make amends the next season…and guess what we didn’t come close.

We had a lot of frustrating games this season.  More than I normally recall and way too many where we should have won.  I thought this was our year so I think it made it worse.  I have recalibrated my expectations though-we don’t have a QB that can get us to the SB. 

I don’t take it that seriously but I’m 41…I thought we’d have one by now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

.....We had a lot of frustrating games this season.  More than I normally recall and way too many where we should have won.  I thought this was our year so I think it made it worse.  I have recalibrated my expectations though-we don’t have a QB that can get us to the SB. 

I don’t take it that seriously but I’m 41…I thought we’d have one by now. 

"Recalibrated my expectations" that's one way to look at things you wonder if they still have enough key parts for a deep playoff run.  OL, RBs, DL ??

Was Mayfield's biggest problem the timing and severity of his injuries or something else ?  That should become apparent before too long next season.

I'm 71 now so I'm not betting the farm on every game now.  :lol:

I read this thread as Baker dealing with a bad loss.. mental state is a key part of the QB position that doesn't get talked about enough IMHO.

One thing that worries me about Baker is this past year demonstrated that he does not have the confidence of Joe Burrow.  Can't just blame it on the shoulder and act as if no problems exist..

Even in the AFC title game, this was a bigger factor to me than has been mentioned in most places.  Once Mahomes made the admittedly terrible clock management error of not throwing into the end zone [threw short, guy got tackled, clock ran out, no points from being inside the 10]... He got shook.  Second half of the title game PM made basically zero good decisions.. even with physical talent and a history of doing well, his mental state was out to lunch.  Mahomes wouldn't take the checkdown, would hold on too long and try to play heroball when it absolutely wasn't what was needed.. and so that loss was basically all because Mahomes lost his confidence.

This offseason Baker had better get to a sports psychologist -- because he WILL have bad moments/games, and if he's going to actually be successful he can't be angry/down on himself/doubting his teammates-scheme-coaches etc.  The team needs to see the mental state from Baker that gets called swagger..

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

WOKE as in there are black performers at this halftime show? 😂

Did Eminem change his skin pigment?... I wasn't aware...

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

WOKE as in there are black performers at this halftime show? 😂

With of course the half-time show being a group of dudes who have been non-repentant on using racial, gay, and ethnic slurs over 2+ decades of music. This includes a guy (Eminem) that people have been trying to 'cancel' for some time now. But yeah, so woke. The media is destroying lives, man.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I keep forgetting there's a photo of you with random black people, nickers.

So, obviously, you aren't a racist. 

My deepest apologies.

They are not random black people... They are very close friends of mine who I respect and care about... We are like brothers... Yeah.. Their skin might be dark.. But they are a great group of hard workin dudes... We all bleed the same..

• Upvote 1

My fandom started in the late 80's early 90's so I didn't get to enjoy them when they were winning all those championships. And it wasn't long before I got to see them move to Baltimore. Then there of course was the painful years from rebirth up until now. To be honest, I've had one foot out the door for a while now waiting to see if something was going to happen but if this stuff Hue Jackson says is true, that may be the last straw. 

On 2/8/2022 at 9:56 AM, BrownsfaninPa said:

I don't think so. Perhaps only mildly surprised. These are the Browns we are talking about.

I have a feeling that if the Bengals - THE FUCKING CINCINNATI BENGALS - win the Super Bowl Sunday the world is going to see a lot of Browns fans really questioning everything they know about life. 

I mean, the Bengals practice in some field next to their stadium because they are too cheap to have a legit training facility. In 2021, they still don't have an indoor facility of their own to practice in. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Orion said:

...but they have Joe Burrow........and we don't.

Very true.

It's just that the Bengals are such a bottom-of-the-barrel, thrift shop operation. 

And they are knocking on the door of winning a Super Bowl before the Browns. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, calfoxwc said:

Amen to all that. I record Browns (if I can get them) and Aggie games. I've been dealing with Aggie disappointments since the day Bear Bryant confirmed he was going to Bama. We were number 1 in the country with Heisman winner John David Crow, Jack Pardee and Charlie Krueger and proceeded to lose our last 2 regular season games and a boll game by a total of 6 points. Now I learned the lesson of Heartbreak Hotel Hell when I was then 10 years old. 💔

So I record and watch the ones that won't break my football lovin' heart. LOL!! I ain't gonna be nobody's Charlie Brown doomed to have the ball yanked every time I want to kick it. 🏈😁

58 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

But the Rams also started out in the CLE.

Yes. Completely forgot about that.

What's also funny is that 3 of the 4 teams that never appeared in the Super Bowl... DET, HOU, and JAX, those cities all have at least hosted one.

Talk about never even smelling a SB.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I have a feeling that if the Bengals - THE FUCKING CINCINNATI BENGALS - win the Super Bowl Sunday the world is going to see a lot of Browns fans really questioning everything they know about life. 

I mean, the Bengals practice in some field next to their stadium because they are too cheap to have a legit training facility. In 2021, they still don't have an indoor facility of their own to practice in. 

Yes, Mike Brown does live on the cheap... However, I'm hearing the real brains of the operation- Mike's daughter Katie Blackburn- does know a thing or two about football, and already has a big say in what goes on in Bungle Land.  

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Very true.

It's just that the Bengals are such a bottom-of-the-barrel, thrift shop operation. 

And they are knocking on the door of winning a Super Bowl before the Browns. 

LOL, I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. Count on them being bad enough, the QB needy Bengals to get the #1 overall no brainer pick to take Joe Burrow. Too bad there wasn't a stiff like Akilli Smith there for them to screw up on instead.  Oh, I remember their previous luck outs... Their FGs doinking off goalposts and going in, and the other team's doinking out.  Or having the sunny southern California Chargers having to play them in the Freezer Bowl with an air temperature of -9, and wind chill -58.  I have friends who were at that game, the plumbing in the rest rooms froze- I'll let you imagine what sort of mess that created.  :)   

I'm getting pretty nauseated with Bengal fans crying, it's been 34 years... Wah, wah.  Cry me a river. Try 58.   I've said a bunch of times, you need to be Social Security age to remember 1964. I'll be at a Super Bowl party with a bunch of Bengal fans in attendance, and I'm thinking of getting a Browns jersey with #64, and on the nameplate "And Counting"...  

Finally.. Should the Browns ever make the Super Bowl, forget about ever getting a face value ticket to the game (unless there's a lottery for a few hundred tickets).  The owner of my wine shop has had season tickets to the Bengals from day one- 1969.. 50 yard line seats, two rows behind the Bengals bench....  And wasn't deemed worthy enough to get a pair of Super Bowl tickets.  FWIW, if you're a big enough fan, the Bungles were offering plane & game tickets, three nights in a LA hotel, and tailgate party... for $10,000.   

PS- From my perspective, unfortunately the game can't end in a tie... But whoever wins isn't going to make me happy.     

• Upvote 2

On 2/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, calfoxwc said:

Having said that, I really am rooting for the Bengals to win completely. I will be happy for them, and happy to not have objerk-desired commercials bragging about himself 24/7 for a few weeks after. lol

GO BENGALS ! (sqealers and ratbirds won't be happy. YES !)

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

Having said that, I really am rooting for the Bengals to win completely. I will be happy for them, and happy to not have objerk-desired commercials bragging about himself 24/7 for a few weeks after. lol

And for me it's either one since if OBJ wins, that means Von Miller gets another ring and a for certain spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

On 2/10/2022 at 5:50 PM, calfoxwc said:

Having said that, I really am rooting for the Bengals to win completely.

I'm hoping thy have an incomplete win. lol

The teams or their fans? I take it you mean their fans.

Their teams have won multiple Super Bowls. Unlike many of us Browns fans their unhappiness will probably be short lived and will never approach the bitterness many Brown fans will feel after watching the confetti rain down on the wrong orange uniforms.  

I'm rooting for the Rams in hopes OBJ does nothing to contribute to the win. Thats the best scenario I can think of....unless if I was a bad boy and wished OBJ broke his leg or got COVID and was inactive for the game.

I have come to realize that through some sort of hardwiring issue l am incapable of rooting for the Bengals. I really don’t know what the deal is. If anyone doesn’t know, l live in Cincy. I love the Reds, l love Skyline chili, l have a several friends who l genuinely like who are Bengals fans, yet l cannot bring myself in my heart of hearts to root for them to win even for their sake. 

I think it’s good old fashioned jealousy. I just can’t bear to see the Bengals win the Superbowl without at least seeing the Browns GO to the Superbowl. 

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I have come to realize that through some sort of hardwiring issue l am incapable of rooting for the Bengals. I really don’t know what the deal is. If anyone doesn’t know, l live in Cincy. I love the Reds, l love Skyline chili, l have a several friends who l genuinely like who are Bengals fans, yet l cannot bring myself in my heart of hearts to root for them to win even for their sake. 

I think it’s good old fashioned jealousy. I just can’t bear to see the Bengals win the Superbowl without at least seeing the Browns GO to the Superbowl. 

Oh, exactly...  Their fanbase is fairweather to the nth degree....  Out at dinner tonight talking to a guy ( New York transplant) and a Jets fan.... Well, his wife (supposed mega Bengals fan) isn't staying for the second half of  our Super Bowl party.. Can't stand the suspense? Yeah, I'll be mean..  Montana to Rice... you're one short on heartbreak,  The Drive, The Fumble.... At least you made it to the Super Bowl...   

I can handle OBJ gloating, or Carpetbagger Kroenke spending his way to a (probable) one and done SB win....  But as far as I'm concerned.. Dem Bungles need to wait around another 30 years or so to get to another Super Bowl....

• Upvote 2