THE BROWNS BOARD

The FIVE Biggest Reasons the Browns' Offense has Failed in 2021

calfoxwc

This is excellent. HE knows it's a team game.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_5_biggest_reasons_browns_offense_has_failed_in_2021/s1_16697_36582080

1. Baker, sure. This year. Injured

2. Wide Receiver group - what I've been saying (and ONE TE)

" Forever a zone beater, Landry consistently struggles beating man coverage, which is the biggest issue that group faces across the board and the Chefs exposed in the playoffs, the Browns have been unable to get past it in 2021. "

" Higgins simply has not been able to get open this season and he's dropped passes, something he did not do in the entirety of the 2020 season. Maybe there's more to why Higgins has experienced such a disappointing year, but his room for error has always been thin given his underwhelming physical attributes. "

"Looking ahead to 2022, the Browns need to take a similar approach to the wide receiver position that they did with their secondary last year. Outside of Jones, Schwartz and Felton, who functions as a three-position player, the Browns have to bring in talent that fits what they want to be.

This position needs to improve drastically if any quarterback is going to have sustainable success for the Browns."

3. Offensive Tackle

4. Kareem Hunt - Loss of, to injury.

5. Stefanski - yep.

Just my goofy opinion - he runs so much on first down, it set's up a 2nd and long a LOT. Then it's third and long - see #2.

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

This is excellent. HE knows it's a team game.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_5_biggest_reasons_browns_offense_has_failed_in_2021/s1_16697_36582080

1. Baker, sure. This year. Injured

2. Wide Receiver group - what I've been saying (and ONE TE)

3. Offensive Tackle

4. Kareem Hunt - Loss of, to injury.

5. Stefanski - yep.

Just my goofy opinion - he runs so much on first down, it set's up a 2nd and long a LOT. Then it's third and long - see #2.

1. The midget has problems finding receivers - that last game with so many knocked down passes was just as pitiful as the prior game with so many turnovers. However not good enough replacements in this class coming in to warrant the change yet. (I suggest we wait 3 more years for Conner Weigman who has all the throws already-LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!🤣🤣)

2. Especially since most can't get open -this is a top priority IMO- this is where we need to pay close attention to top end speeds during pro days and combine. Top ones to watch come from Bama and OSU, though I want to pay special attention to 6'5" London of USC who has a basketball background like Evans of the Bucs.

3. OT-should be decent ones still there in 2nd round, though I would not be averse to a trade up here.

4. Time heals

5. Thorough self eval of all games after the season- a process all good coaches do after every game so they don't continue to repeat trends/mistakes for a whole season

And yes, yes I know it was a shameless plug for Texas A&M--------------------My specialty here. But it got us Garrett whom I also identified this early in his career. BTW look for the Ndomukong Suh DT play-alike in Walter Nolen in 3 years as well. He's special.

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The midget has problems finding receivers

Now, Tex. Drew Brees is an inch shorter. Struggled his first three? years in the NFL. Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'11". And way back, Brian Sipe was only 6' tall. Older names - Johnny Unitas was as tall as Baker. Conner Weigman is only an inch taller than Baker.

Conner Weigman??? nice find. I haven't looked at quarterbacks.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Now, Tex. Drew Brees is an inch shorter. Struggled his first three? years in the NFL. Kyler Murray is 5'10". Russell Wilson is 5'11". And way back, Brian Sipe was only 6' tall. Older names - Johnny Unitas was as tall as Baker. Conner Weigman is only an inch taller than Baker.

Let’s include the GOAT Johnny Manziel, who was only 6’0” tall.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

And I have one more to add for long term at WR. Chris Marshall is a former basketball player at 6'4" with at least the same catch radius (very long arms) as Mike Evans. He was the #11 player in that video who made that rainbow pass catch before tapping both feet in bounds. Several pros who watched the UA AA practices/game have upped their take on him. Like Evans he only took up football his last two years in HS, but may prove out to be their hidden jewel from this recruiting class.

PS-Baker's Combine measurement was 72.68 inches so not really quite 6'1" unless he starts throwing off his tiptoes.🙄😂

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

The loss of Jack Conklin was huge. The guy they had in a RT in the Steelers game was a turnstile but you could hardly blame him, he was going against TJ Watt.  

yep. How does a game plan not feature designed plays to help Hudson? Their offense needs to be adjusted to account for injuries, dynamic opposing defensive players....... a lot of hard lessons learned? by the offensive coaching staff. Again, seems like the Browns do not make adjustments on the fly, or even during a game. I don't know.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

The loss of Jack Conklin was huge. The guy they had in a RT in the Steelers game was a turnstile but you could hardly blame him, he was going against TJ Watt.  

Coming out of camp, the word was Jok & Newsome would see starting snaps... James Hudson (as seen in camp) was far from seeing those..

The loss of swing Tackle Chris Hubbard (in 39 snaps) might have been bigger? Hubbard took less pay/Callahan had Hubbard moving well/ready in pre-season.. I remember my groan/and walked outside to not see Chris get carted out..

Four key injuries on offense the first two weeks of the season set the tone for the inconsistent year that followed, challenges the team could not overcome.

In the opener against the Kansas City Chiefs, left tackle Jedrick Wills suffered an ankle injury(the 20th snap) that has limited him the entire season. Backup Chris Hubbard, a key to the team's success in 2020 suffered a season-ending tricep injury in the same game after replacing Wills.(In 39 snaps) The Browns were forced to play musical chairs on the offensive line the remaining 16 games of the season, starting with their fourth option at tackle, a guard in Blake Hance who had recently played center in the preseason.

The following week against the Houston Texans, wide receiver Jarvis Landry suffered a sprained knee two snaps into the game, erasing the exhaustive efforts he put into changing his body during the offseason. He would miss games due to injury for the first time in his career and then sustain another injury to the same knee in the first game he returned against the Denver Broncos.

That was followed up by quarterback Baker Mayfield tearing the labrum in his left shoulder (Texans). As soon Mayfield's shoulder dislocated, the team's viability as a contender ended.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/disappointment-destiny-two-weeks-in

All we heard was how early injury luck bit the ravens....well? we have surely had our share of bad luck early in seasons.. 

So, I was watching the Cincy-KC game on replay just a bit - KC went up 14-0, and cincy scored by throwing to Chase - who exploded sideways towards the middle of the field and went on to a TD.

So, KC goes up 21-7.....and Burrow throws to Chase into the endzone from the 19 yard line for a TD.

To that point, Ja'Marr Chase was 6 passes for 111 yards and two touchdowns.

by the end of the game - Chase caught 11 passes for 266 yards and 3 touchdowns in a 34-31 win.

Bengals vs. Chiefs score: Ja'Marr Chase explodes with ...

Bengals vs. Chiefs score: Ja'Marr Chase explodes with historic performance as Cincinnati wins AFC North The Bengals have won the AFC North for the first time since 2015

17 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

All we heard was how early injury luck bit the ravens....well? we have surely had our share of bad luck early in seasons.. 

Good post Gumby! Who didn’t see Lamar Jackson getting injured?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Good post Gumby! Who didn’t see Lamar Jackson getting injured?

Might be the hardest part on Lamar's body to get with him running forward... JOK made it look easy ;) when Lamar's feet were in reverse going backwards...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

And that was the most disheartening aspect of JFF.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

It surely was. Also rather than hate the guy I actually honest-to-god feel sorry for somebody that pissed away an opportunity like he did. Same thing with Josh Gordon.

WSS

Yep, for sure. I had watch so many of his "miracle" games in college I thought sure he was the second coming of Fran the Man to the Browns. Addiction is a killer of dreams and talent.