THE BROWNS BOARD

Sideline Tippy Toeing...something needs to be done.

Orion

We let a receiver gain somewhere close to 10 yards, right at the end of the game, because the receiver looked like he was going out of bounds.  Our defender(s) let up so as not to get a penalty.  So the receiver turned it up field.  This was valuable yardage for their game winning FG.  Defenders are so afraid to get a penalty, especially near the sidelines.  I've seen this happen with scrambling QB's.  He's running for his life to the sidelines, only to steal a few more yards when the defender has to let up so he doesn't smash into him at the boundary line and get a penalty.  

They always throw the flag when you hit somebody at/near the boundary lines.  So now offensive players are 'stealing' yards because the D has to 'let up'.  Something needs to be done.  - I think that if you don't 'give yourself up', slide, then you can be hit right up to that boundary line...and if your momentum carries the tackling process deep into the sideline...then, well, you should've given yourself up.  I don't care if you're running away from the LOS towards the sideline, if that defender hits you before you are out of bounds, then it's just as legal as being hit anywhere else 'in bounds' on the field. 

Players are now afraid to hit anyone who's near the sidelines...and that's just not right.  You shouldn't have to 'allow' someone to get out of bounds.  

Or we just need to teach our receivers headed to be towed which brings up the in jocun non-touchdown I thought he had his toe in bounds on his left foot and then contact from the defender slipped the foot backwards out of bounds it was it was established in bounds that’s it plays over so I thought we got a little bit joked on that call course we did score in the very next play with a run so all is well that ends well maybe except in fantasy where I had Njoku starting could use the six points there just to open up a little bit of a gap.

• Like 1

Except I remember Baker getting blasted at the sideline, sent flying... no call. etc etc. The refs are hopeless.

All that holding on Garrett again. One time, it was SO glaring they had to call it. Garrett pulls a groin? on being held,

and watching the replay..... on another "holding" call on Teller?

But yeah, "unnecessary roughness" - another subjective penalty ...at the whim of whatever referee "feels like" calling? I just wonder how a player can tell if he is allowed to get the offensive player out of bounds with a hit, or not. A wr can "head out of bounds", but can stop on a dime, and take off down the sideline after the wr pulls up? It's the old proverbial "between a rock and a hard place".

52 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

But yeah, "unnecessary roughness" - another subjective penalty ...at the whim of whatever referee "feels like" calling? I just wonder how a player can tell if he is allowed to get the offensive player out of bounds with a hit, or not. A wr can "head out of bounds", but can stop on a dime, and take off down the sideline after the wr pulls up? It's the old proverbial "between a rock and a hard place".

It's as if the defenders are being 'gentlemen' and not tackling you at the boundary.  But if the offense is now going to take advantage of that, then, that's not playing nice.  

If the player were running upfield, say, on the hash marks...and you as a defender are angling to make a hit to tackle him...and he knows that you're coming...but he chooses not to alter his direction and continues to run directly upfield on the hash marks...are you allowed to plow his ass to the ground?  Should be no different at the sidelines.  

33 minutes ago, Orion said:

It's as if the defenders are being 'gentlemen' and not tackling you at the boundary.  But if the offense is now going to take advantage of that, then, that's not playing nice.  

If the player were running upfield, say, on the hash marks...and you as a defender are angling to make a hit to tackle him...and he knows that you're coming...but he chooses not to alter his direction and continues to run directly upfield on the hash marks...are you allowed to plow his ass to the ground?  Should be no different at the sidelines.  

which reminds me of the hit on Higgins? at the sideline near the goal line. A vicious helmet-to-helmet hit. NO CALL. Gave ball to kc.

https://clutchpoints.com/did-browns-get-cheated-on-helmet-to-helmet-fumble-touchback-play-vs-chiefs/

which, btw, Harrison got fined 12 thousand bucks. But later, the chiefs coach greg lewis got fined too. Except, the AMOUNT he was fined was kept secret by the NFL.

right. The kc bench was initially penalized with "unsportsman like conduct". But upon review...they cancelled that. right. Maybe it's just me, but penalties can be reviewed???

the nfl is corrupt up on high. Has anybody seen a case, btw, where an NFL ref was held accountable for really glaringly bad calls?

When in doubt blast 'em... better to suffer a tack on 15-yd "roughness than to give up as much of more (even a TD) backing off.

In all sports officiating is subjective. Football simply has more officials and more calls than any other.

• Thanks 1

The game would be better with 4 officials.

Ok...make it 5.  One on the LOS to watch for offside.  That's it.  Then 1 on each sideline about 10 yards off the LOS on the defensive side. One behind theQB and one deep in the defensive backfield.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:10 PM, ballpeen said:

The game would be better with 4 officials.

Ok...make it 5.  One on the LOS to watch for offside.  That's it.  Then 1 on each sideline about 10 yards off the LOS on the defensive side. One behind theQB and one deep in the defensive backfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCM6TZgTMI