THE BROWNS BOARD

Should Members of Congress Be Able to Own Stocks?

MLD Woody

Actually woodpecker it occurred to me that your position is similar to many Democrat positions. Kind of that guilty until proved Innocent . The appearance of impropriety is all that matters to you. Like guns. We can't allow people who might have inside knowledge buy or sell stocks like other Americans. Why? Because you can't trust them not to do something crooked. Is that about right? But the questions you won't answer are based on one thing and one thing only in my opinion. 🐱

WSS 

Back to the original topic. They should be allowed to own stock. But if they engage in illegal activity, with said stocks, then throw the book at them. 
They already think they are above the law. THEY ARE NOT!!!!!

43 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Back to the original topic. They should be allowed to own stock. But if they engage in illegal activity, with said stocks, then throw the book at them. 

Which is basically what I said. No one should have the rights that are afforded to every other American taken away unless the abused the privilege. Which goes for anybody.

WSS

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Which is basically what I said. No one should have the rights that are afforded to every other American taken away unless the abused the privilege. Which goes for anybody.

WSS

But when all that money is involved, people will lie, cheat, and steal as much as they can get away with, provided there are no repercussions for their actions

That’s why the insider trading laws are on the books

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

But when all that money is involved, people will lie, cheat, and steal as much as they can get away with, provided there are no repercussions for their actions

That’s why the insider trading laws are on the books

I understand the concept. But that's why I brought up the phenomenon of politicians becoming insanely wealthy while in office. Which happens all the time. And again that law is not consistent with Europe for whatever reason. I'm sure they have Crooks in Europe.

WSS 

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I understand the concept. But that's why I brought up the phenomenon of politicians becoming insanely wealthy while in office. Which happens all the time. And again that law is not consistent with Europe for whatever reason. I'm sure they have Crooks in Europe.

WSS 

They become rich, while in office, for numerous reasons. Insider trading is just one. They also don’t pay for almost anything.
Their pay, which most give to charity, is a tax right off

I would bet a newly elected congressman, oh wait, Congress person, has a litany of lawyers and tax professionals at their disposal to hide, I mean “shelter” their money. Most people in there are lawyers to start with. 

It might cost millions to win a congressional seat, which they also don’t pay for, but it’s worth it for the benefits

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I'm comfortable saying they can't own stocks, to make it harder to perform that illegal activity. That's basically it. 

would love more rules around donors and lobbyists too

10 hours ago, Browns149 said:

They become rich, while in office, for numerous reasons. Insider trading is just one.

I don't agree. Insider trading is illegal and has been for a good while.

They also don’t pay for almost anything.

yes but that's pretty transparent. I personally don't pay for food or booze anywhere that I work. Just a perk.

Their pay, which most give to charity, is a tax right off.

everybody can I write off charitable donations.

I would bet a newly elected congressman, oh wait, Congress person, has a litany of lawyers and tax professionals at their disposal to hide, I mean “shelter” their money. Most people in there are lawyers to start with. 

No Doubt but as much as I dislike some politicians that's not illegal. I pay an accountant keep my tax bill as small as possible.

Plus you forgot about speeches and books. Huge sums of money for speeches nobody cares about and books nobody reads. And while it's probably not illegal the law firms that senators or congress beings or associated with seemed to do pretty well. 😉

It might cost millions to win a congressional seat, which they also don’t pay for, but it’s worth it for the benefits.

absolutely no doubt. I'm just drawing the line between legal and illegal. My affection or displeasure with any politician has nothing to do with it.

By the way take a look at my upcoming post how about news media let me know what you think about that. You too Woody.

WSS