THE BROWNS BOARD

M-Odell to the Rams

mjp28

Everyone that prematurely took a victory lap, which is probably not the only pre remature issue you deal with..  this is why you I tried to explain that not everything is magically fixed by getting rid of OBJ.

I'm hoping, despite my posting now, that this thread this quiet for the next 20 years. 

6 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I should of stopped reading after his agent could spell "Believeland" 🤓

"Believing all about Me*?" I'd question...

OBJLA unscrambled?

BLO'JA  

That is all.....

Beautiful!

36 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Everyone that prematurely took a victory lap, which is probably not the only pre remature issue you deal with..  this is why you I tried to explain that not everything is magically fixed by getting rid of OBJ.

I'm hoping, despite my posting now, that this thread this quiet for the next 20 years. 

You mean getting rid of OBJ didn't fix the one of the NFL's worst defenses? The hell you say!

Man, with superior football knowledge like that you really are King of the Forum!🤣 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, D Bone said:

You mean getting rid of OBJ didn't fix the one of the NFL's worst defenses? The hell you say!

Man, with superior football knowledge like that you really are King of the Forum!🤣 

He's Mr.Know it all of course!.. NFL owners are just rushing to hire him aren't they?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Don't take it personally.   I get you wanted your moment. 

edit:  I see you appreciated my reaction to your post.   There was a good reason, outside of my more measured assessment, that I avoided this thread.   Meanwhile you had all but declared the Browns cancer free and "back". 

Offense has put up 7 points.     Defense, and their issues in the 2nd half, can be a conversation for another time.    In a vacuum, this offense has had trouble dating back to the 2020 regular season against teams that aren't afraid of the Browns passing game, our QB, and our receivers.    

Like I said, there was no magic pill.  But how many people wanted to believe that was a head-scratcher.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

edit:  I see you appreciated my reaction to your post.   There was a good reason, outside of my more measured assessment, that I avoided this thread.   Meanwhile you had all but declared the Browns cancer free and "back". 

Offense has put up 7 points.     Defense, and their issues in the 2nd half, can be a conversation for another time.    In a vacuum, this offense has had trouble dating back to the 2020 regular season against teams that aren't afraid of the Browns passing game, our QB, and our receivers.    

Like I said, there was no magic pill.  But how many people wanted to believe that was a head-scratcher.

It is weird how little the offense, and how inept they looked today beyond the opening drive, has been discussed in the game thread.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

So wait,

I proclaimed that the Browns would win and Baker would have his best game of the season.... Check, and check.

Then I said they righted the ship with that game and "they just need to keep it there until they finally get heathy".... Check. They need to keep it there. They didn't. But they needed to. But they didn't. Check. 

^ Yep... I was waaaaaaaaaay off base🤣😂

Edit: In all seriousness, yes the Browns have had issues on both sides of the ball for a long time and I said multiple times during our much hyped undefeated offseason that the Browns were not nearly as good as some thought. I'll be honest, I sort of expected this from the Browns.... I hoped for better, but this is about what I thought they would do. Mainly because of the awful defense led by some of the most overhyped players in the NFL and one of the worst DCs on any sideline and not because of OBJ. 

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Getting rid of OBJ was addition by subtraction, but the other problems remain. Today- our "on paper" defense that reeks of talent at almost every position- got ass- whipped.  

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Getting rid of OBJ was addition by subtraction, but the other problems remain. Today- our "on paper" defense that reeks of talent at almost every position- got ass- whipped.  

What addition? We scored 7 points against a quality defense.     And our defense, which I'll never understand this same reasoning from the Cardinals game, was given shitty field position, TOP and turnovers the entire 1st half.  The levee breaks at some point, as Zeppelin would have you know.

As for "on paper", we have one of the worst LB units in the NFL and 1 functional NFL starting level safety.    I almost don't want to go back and watch the film.   But the ENTIRE focus this past couple weeks was that ridding ourselves of OBJ cured all the ails of the offense.  That's ALL I'm focusing on for this conversation.     It was a bullshit narrative then, but unfortunately it had to be a truth learned a week after facing an opponent that allowed the Browns offense a positive game script, the running attack to take over and protected Baker to the tune of only 21 attempts.

I'm just tired of hearing it.    The defense went against an ascending team today and, for most of the 1st half, held their own quite well.  They really got after it those first few drives.  Then being out there started to sink in.   Would have been hot to shut down the screen game and go into half 17-7, but that didn't happen.    Even afterwards, this offense still couldn't manage a single god. damn. point.       There is a large contingent of Browns fans that believed the "other problems" of this team just went away after last week.    Now reality sets in.

Like I said, I'm cool being a .500 and wildcard team for a couple years.   After 20 seasons of futility, evening some winning games and a playoff push is a damn good start to establishing a better culture.   But this team is FAR removed from being elite.

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The defense went against an ascending team today and, for most of the 1st half, held their own quite well.

Did you watch the same game that I saw?

That Pats offense went 9 for 9 on third down in the first half, including a 99 and a half yard TD drive.

The Browns D managed to make a rookie QB look like Joe Montana.

True, the offense sucked but my gawd the defense couldn’t get a stop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

That Pats offense went 9 for 9 on third down in the first half

Interesting stat, because I know that field goal at the end of the half before I checked out was a 3rd down hold which made NE kick the FG.

I also saw the defense force a good amount of 3rd and mediums, 3rd and longs, only to have the Pats attack our greatest weaknesses - linebacker and safety play.     Not including Baker handing them a free TD on a 4 yard field.   The downside to making an offense "earn it" is that your defense stays on the field for a long ass time.

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

the other problems remain

Browns are a running team, but you have to pass sometime.. especially when you're not ahead.  It's fun to see the entire concept of the forward pass called "the other problem".

So far this season, what's the Browns' favorite go-to pass play when you've gotta have something? Yep, I'm drawing a blank also. That's.. not good.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Just went back to watch the throw.  That one was on Stafford, who is having a couple of REALLY off weeks.

Rams WRs had a severe case of dropitis today... But That's OK.  Just lose Baby!!!  

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Rams WRs had a severe case of dropitis today... But That's OK.  Just lose Baby!!!  

Worked for me.  31-10   :)

And now this season in their new $2B home stadium. Not exactly as hoped for, oh well it's only a game.

By Jay Busbee...... from Yahoo Sports Tuesday morning newsletter November 16.......  no link

No matter what he does the rest of his career — the rest of his life, really — Odell Beckham Jr. will be able to dine out on that astounding one-handed catch he made against the Dallas Cowboys in 2014. (Yes, that was seven years ago. You are old.) 

In some ways, Beckham and the three teams he's played for since that night have all been chasing that pinnacle, hoping for more highlights like that. It's why Cleveland wanted to pair him with Baker Mayfield, and why the Rams thought he'd be an asset to their Matthew Stafford-led air attack.

Maybe someday soon he will be, but in his Los Angeles debut on Monday night, Beckham — who caught two passes on three targets for 18 yards — was about as useful as a salad in a steakhouse. That's not his fault; the guy had one day of practice, and the 4-5 49ers blasted the 7-3 Rams out of the water right from the start. (Divisional matchups, man.) 

If anyone can figure a way to use Beckham effectively, it's Sean McVay. How much Beckham still has left in the tank remains to be seen, but he'll get the opportunity to come up big, at least ... even more so now that the Rams have lost Robert Woods for the season to injury.  

When Beckham does get a real shot, he'll have to craft one hell of a game to top Cam Newton, who scored two touchdowns on two snaps on Sunday in his Carolina debut-slash-return. Newton bellowed "I'm back!" as he scored his first touchdown, a fine moment made all the better when Newton revealed that he'd been, in his words, "eating a bowl of cereal" the same time a week before. Newton may or may not change the direction of the Panthers franchise a second time, but he's certainly going to get a chance to write a new chapter in his career; he's already getting first-team snaps in advance of next weekend's game against Washington.

Both Beckham and Newton have drawn more than their share of heat over the years; a look-at-me attitude will do that. But they also bring a measurable charge to whatever team they join. Right about now, both the Panthers and the Rams could use a jolt, for different reasons — Carolina to make a playoff run, Los Angeles to get its act together against the best in the NFC. 

Newton and Beckham — along with Von Miller, who just joined Beckham in Los Angeles — are titans of the 2010s NFL. How much do they have left to shape the 2020s? We'll find out soon enough. 

• Thanks 1

Rams analysis -- Hidden in there is the actual reason for all the Rams issues.. They're starting someone named Austin Corbett [and 4th and 5th rounders in IOL] and wondering why they can't keep a clean pocket for Stafford's favorite throw -- to the intermediate middle of the field on an in-breaking route.. meaning WR needs time to run past the catch point, turn, and come back to the ball..

49 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Rams analysis -- Hidden in there is the actual reason for all the Rams issues.. They're starting someone named Austin Corbett [and 4th and 5th rounders in IOL] and wondering why they can't keep a clean pocket for Stafford's favorite throw -- to the intermediate middle of the field on an in-breaking route.. meaning WR needs time to run past the catch point, turn, and come back to the ball..

And their LT Andrew Withworth (formerly of the Bengals) is 39 years old. That's ancient for anyone playing OL....   

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

And their LT Andrew Withworth (formerly of the Bengals) is 39 years old. That's ancient for anyone playing OL....   

He's also a native Clevelander to I believe..