THE BROWNS BOARD

M-Odell to the Rams

mjp28

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Nope. lol. If you go follow the link, it's exact. I looked in the wrong freaking column. dammit. that was rushing TD's. dammit. My breakfast is distracting me.

dammit.

Odell Beckham Jr. & the #Browns
29/40 games
114 catches/210 targets
1,586 receiving yards
96 rush yards
8 touchdowns
$44M cash

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I have a feeling he's just fine. Imagine him playing with a guy like Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, or even Lamar Jackson. I'm not saying he'll go to those teams, just examples. 

For the rest of this season, he's only going to a team with the cap room (or willing to create cap room) to sign him. Ugh!! The Ratbirds are one of those teams. 

If I'm an NFL GM, I'm going to  kick the tires first before I sign him to a long term deal.  

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I have a feeling he's just fine. Imagine him playing with a guy like Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, or even Lamar Jackson. I'm not saying he'll go to those teams, just examples. 

Do Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Matt Stafford, Q'aron Rodgers, or even Lamar Jackson have magic health dust that they are going to sprinkle all over OBJ's brittle body?

His proverbial gas tank is running empty. He's 29 going on 34 in football years. He might be able to pull a good game or two out of his ass, but he's on the backslide of his career. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

For the rest of this season, he's only going to a team with the cap room (or willing to create cap room) to sign him. Ugh!! The Ratbirds are one of those teams. 

If I'm an NFL GM, I'm going to  kick the tires first before I sign him to a long term deal.  

i see (s)he, whining next for a veteran QB...Russ Wilson..Matt Stafford makes the most cents to me... A.Rodgers? GM cheap mond'ra keeps screaming at me... no!

the She'Hawks.. have the cap to not let this get past #9 on the waiver wire.... Rams make the most cents, if Jay get's his choice..has home in LA ..and a new ego to be right.. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, D Bone said:

I can't wait to read the forum next week after the offense explodes this Sunday and the Browns right the ship with Baker's best game of the season.

I hated the trade the second I saw it on the TV in Chili's (ruining a great dinner) and never liked the dude for a single second while he was taking up space on the roster... Finally some good freakin' news about the Browns for once. 

^ Just because I can, but more importantly, because I want to. 

The contagious disease has been removed, and the Browns are instantly better for it..... Ship righted and they just need to keep it there until they finally get heathy..... Go Baker, er, Go Browns!! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, D Bone said:

I can't wait to read the forum next week after the offense explodes this Sunday and the Browns right the ship with Baker's best game of the season.

I hated the trade the second I saw it on the TV in Chili's (ruining a great dinner) and never liked the dude for a single second while he was taking up space on the roster... Finally some good freakin' news about the Browns for once. 

Wow! talk about getting it right. Nice Job!

• Thanks 2

On 11/3/2021 at 10:08 PM, VaporTrail said:

What a failure of a leader Stefanski has been through this. He had the opportunity to prevent this by shutting down Baker when he got hurt instead of acquiescing to Baker's delusion that he could play. 

Played just fine with All about Odell off the field. If you think OBJ’s pouting just started while Baker was injured you have your head in the sand (or somewhere)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Played just fine with All about Odell off the field. If you think OBJ’s pouting just started while Baker was injured you have your head in the sand (or somewhere)

All the Baker haters went on vacay until the next loss....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

I thought this was the case but couldn't verify -- Now it's getting more publicity

OBJ indeed was "open" because he didn't do what the play told him to do.  Baker didn't throw to him because... when you practice a play you expect a guy to be chopping his feet and cutting at the prescribed 15-yard dig, not running a skinny post because he felt like it.

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I thought this was the case but couldn't verify -- Now it's getting more publicity

OBJ indeed was open because he didn't do what the play told him to do.  Baker didn't throw to him because... when you practice a play you expect a guy to be chopping his feet and cutting at the prescribed 15-yard dig, not running a skinny post because he felt like it.

It’s easy to be open when you are not where you are supposed to be

On 11/5/2021 at 5:52 PM, D Bone said:

A “Great dinner” at Chili’s? 
That could ruin your credibility 😂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

A “Great dinner” at Chili’s? 
That could ruin your credibility 😂

It all begins and ends at the chips and salsa! 

6 hours ago, Browns149 said:

It’s easy to be open when you are not where you are supposed to be

That doesn't make sense though.

The defenders who are covering OBJ have no idea where he's supposed to be. They just cover him where ever he goes. 

Now, it is easy to understand why Baker would "miss" OBJ when he was open, considering he was probably nowhere near where he was supposed to be. 

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

OBJ indeed was "open" because he didn't do what the play told him to do.  Baker didn't throw to him because... when you practice a play you expect a guy to be chopping his feet and cutting at the prescribed 15-yard dig, not running a skinny post because he felt like it.

Thanks!  There's been a lot things that have changed since his brief prime with the Giants except getting injured.  Sometimes he doesn't look for the ball as if Baker minus both starting tackles (or with them) had all the time in the world to wait til he's ready.  Sometimes he's more gun-shy in traffic than many of his buddies in the national media want to give him credit for. That's prolly due to some of the mental part/scar tissue from previous injuries like that brutal ankle injury with the Giants for post-catch contact.   Also, while we're aware he can make 1 handed grabs in practice and warm-ups - how about just catching the damn thing with 2 hands.  And then there were times Baker didn't get it to him the way he got it to DPJ for whatever reasons fit the situation.

That sucked that it never worked out; but I'm glad this team was focused now that there's a solution pleasing all parties.

Still have no clue why obj couldn't work here. But stefanski system is not tailored to throw every pass to wherever obj finds himself. Out of the 14 completions yesterday they were scattered around eight different people. Only Jarvis had three of those catches. So Beckham jr. Isn't going to flourish in an offense made to spread the ball around.

WSS

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Still have no clue why obj couldn't work here. But stefanski system is not tailored to throw every pass to wherever obj finds himself. Out of the 14 completions yesterday they were scattered around eight different people. Only Jarvis had three of those catches. So Beckham jr. Isn't going to flourish in an offense made to spread the ball around.

WSS

It was always about padding stats for OBJ.... He's the Anti-Team mate

• Upvote 1

I hate the talking heads at ESPN, but listening to Dan Oralvsky this morning really nailed it.

Some schemes, coaching, and even organizations cater to the idea of the "players above the plays". Honestly, I think of a team like KC with Mahomes where you trust that dude to figure it the hell out. The thing is, it's exactly the reverse for what Stefanski and this team is now built. This scheme and coaching, especially on offense, is plays designed to maximize the talents of the team. Nick Chubb is the living embodiment of this thinking, and Baker is a close second. It's not a coincidence how much better this team is with OBJ off the field, it just isn't. What this organization has built can win a lot of football games over the 3-4 years with Mayfield and crew.

So yeah, when you have a drama ridden dude who is running his own routes and has his Dad act tough on the internet? Cya. I don't want to hear for a second that daddy's little social media rant wasn't orchestrated by OBJ. Now telling teams there will be "potential issues" if they claim him: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/07/report-potential-issues-if-a-non-contender-claims-obj-on-waivers/ like a toddler. But yeah, he wasn't the problem my ass.

• Upvote 1

I always strive to understand and find answers. The more I watch how Odell attacks certain coverages or leverages his routes tends to speak to something Orlovsky articulated much better than myself.   This offense, particularly Baker, requires more structure than it does autonomy.   Which sucks because I believe there's a lot to be gained from the latter, but not at the expense of offensive output.   

In the end I'm understanding that OBJ just didn't fit with Stefs offense. Which makes more sense because he was brought in under the idea of turning this team into a vertical, downfield passing group, regardless of personnel or down and distance- KC is a great example, but any young and modern NFL offense.  LAC, Seahawks from early 2020, BUF, Dal and Tampa Bay when Monken was there ( then came to Cleveland) It doesn't really fit with Bakers abilities.  So it accomplishes two things. 

- Further highlights the "type" of personnel we target via draft and free agency

- Begins to make more clear Bakers ceiling.    He was the 13th rated passer when not using play action last year.  So the running game is always going to be the engine behind this offense. Especially from under center. 

To say OBJ "freelanced" his routes is a Gross oversimplification.  And if you're going to tell me Odell simply ran whatever route he wanted for nearly 2 full seasons, then we have a bigger problem.  Because that means the two men who are supposed to lead this team - Stef and Baker, didn't put a stop to it sooner.   I don't see them being the issue, which leads me to believe the former is more of a misunderstanding of how Odell, and many other receivers, were coached to attack certain defensive looks when they were read.   Or to be quick about it, Baker and Odell read the same thing but interpret differently on what to do.  

At the end of the day this team still needs a threat who will draw extra attention. And the tail end of last season showed we will suffer for it if we don't. 

I'm hoping that receiver can be DPJ moving forward.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

At the end of the day this team still needs a threat who will draw extra attention. And the tail end of last season showed we will suffer for it if we don't. 

You and me both. He looked promising yesterday against the Bengals.  Hell, the stinking Steelers have made a living getting lucky pulling all-pro wrs out of their ass in the lower rounds on a regular basis. I hope it's finally our turn.  

Also, as was pointed out- OBJ was never going to be happy (not getting his stats) in an offense where eight different players catch passes.  

• Upvote 1

To say OBJ "freelanced" his routes is a Gross oversimplification.  And if you're going to tell me Odell simply ran whatever route he wanted for nearly 2 full seasons, then we have a bigger problem.  Because that means the two men who are supposed to lead this team - Stef and Baker, didn't put a stop to it sooner.   I don't see them being the issue, which leads me to believe the former is more of a misunderstanding of how Odell, and many other receivers, were coached to attack certain defensive looks when they were read.   Or to be quick about it, Baker and Odell read the same thing but interpret differently on what to do.  

I mean yeah, I think that's what most people are saying here. I don't think the dude was told to run a go route and ran a slant instead, or something simple like that. But it's also clear that Stef's offense is execution oriented, which OBJ struggled to be a part of. When you then look at the very significant sample size of games with this man out of the lineup, it's pretty clear Mayfield and this offense work better with guys like him not lining up. It wouldn't just be him, either-I think of guys like Hill, Adams etc who all would have hit that wall.

I don't think Beckham was some black hole of issues-when you think about it, there really wasn't one massive thing. But, you're not going to convince me dad's share of that video (which is incredibly short-sighted for dozens of reasons) and how he acted wasn't puppeted by OBJ himself. That's really the part that irks me more than anything.

• Upvote 2

I always strive to understand and find answers. The more I watch how Odell attacks certain coverages or leverages his routes tends to speak to something Orlovsky articulated much better than myself.   This offense, particularly Baker, requires more structure than it does autonomy.   Which sucks because I believe there's a lot to be gained from the latter, but not at the expense of offensive output.   

In the end I'm understanding that OBJ just didn't fit with Stefs offense. Which makes more sense because he was brought in under the idea of turning this team into a vertical, downfield passing group, regardless of personnel or down and distance- KC is a great example, but any young and modern NFL offense.  LAC, Seahawks from early 2020, BUF, Dal and Tampa Bay when Monken was there ( then came to Cleveland) It doesn't really fit with Bakers abilities.  So it accomplishes two things. 

- Further highlights the "type" of personnel we target via draft and free agency

- Begins to make more clear Bakers ceiling.    He was the 13th rated passer when not using play action last year.  So the running game is always going to be the engine behind this offense. Especially from under center. 

This^^^^.  The whole post!!!

And We did a better a job of getting out of the  structure we have for some of our playmakers last year.  See the Cowboys game.  We had a handful of play calls (that could of set us off schedule) where OBJ was highlighted.  We needed to do that more this year. 

I recall Urban when he was at OSU - talking about reminding himself to feed the 2-3 elite playmakers he had (maybe each quarter).  

Going to the playmaker maybe trumped the offensive system and maybe it took the team off schedule if the play didn’t work.  There was a possibility of a big play like that reverse turning turn into a 55 yard gain.

I just don’t think OBJ is the same playmaker this year. Whether it’s getting back to health or the fact that he’s not dialed in

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

When you then look at the very significant sample size of games with this man out of the lineup, it's pretty clear Mayfield and this offense work better with guys like him not lining up. It wouldn't just be him, either-I think of guys like Hill, Adams etc who all would have hit that wall.

That's my concern, the "why?" behind that.    If you think of guys like Hill and Adams, some of the best weapons in the NFL, wouldn't "work" in this offense?  Then that tends to say this offense gets maximum production from personnel that have limited abilities. Because what Adams gets to enjoy in GB with their offensive structure is far different than what the Browns have.    Which always circles back around to the "how much do you pay Baker then?" Question.  Not the first time we've seen that in Cleveland either.  Don't have to go back very far to see consistent but unspectacular offense from young Shanahan and getting the most out of Hoyer, 2 "who?" running backs, and a handful of average receivers.    Because this is post is hinting at the fact we don't have the QB or head coach to get the absolute most out of elite receivers based on the calculated, methodical, high percentage throws, run game emphasis and (for lack of a better word) measured nature of the vertical passing game.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Begins to make more clear Bakers ceiling.    He was the 13th rated passer when not using play action last year. 

I should think that most any QB would benefit from a running game that makes play action effective.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Because that means the two men who are supposed to lead this team - Stef and Baker, didn't put a stop to it sooner. 

Van Pelt is the OC, so he would have to be at fault too.

OBJ wants to be in NY, or somewhere like that where he can be the media darling.  Cleveland is not a big enough media market.  He has to work too hard to get noticed. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Orion said:

I should think that most any QB would benefit from a running game that makes play action effective.

True. But as we've seen before, when you give Baker volume work from the gun on straight drops, his stats drop disproportionately to those QB's who read, anticipate and move DB's and LB's more consistently. 

Deshone Kizer put up big numbers on play action at Notre Dame. That's why Sashi Brown, in his infinite speed refreshing of PFF in the war room, took him.  Dude could'nt move anyone with his eyes and struggled to digest zones that were'nt manipulated by play action. I'm pretty sure I even broke down a play of his while at Notre  Dame on this site somewhere.

Only 2 issues with that strategy

-  the offenses that use ball action the most only throw off it about 35% of their drop backs.  

- what is your passing efficiency looking like when not using play action and how badly does it drop? 

Yes, every QB benefits. The point being, there are some that benefit a hell of a lot more to the extent where you wonder if the word "need" arises. 

edit: No, I'm not saying Baker is Kizer.  Before anybody pops a god damn blood vessel there.

Odell Beckham already threatening new team he hasn’t joined yet

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/11/07/odell-beckham-already-threatening-team/?a_aid=36534&fbclid=IwAR0qaQDUuq-KRNPIReOlLSjTY3_RcxkGp3KQCZP1jZptGqjzqdB4izYc3f0

Cleveland will waive OBJ on Monday which means he will then be placed on waivers and any team can put in a claim for his services. That would mean they would be on the hook for his contract which has roughly $7 million left for 2021.

However, OBJ is apparently claiming that any team that does not have a “winning environment” or is a playoff contender will have “issues” if they were to try and bring him in.

Odell Beckham Jr. would like to play for a contender, per @AdamSchefter. @brgridiron

There could be "issues" for team that claims him if he's not in a 'winning environment.' pic.twitter.com/Jt5LEcNhkV

— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) November 7, 2021

Beckham was traded to the Cleveland Browns in 2019 and immediately, there were claims he was unhappy to be in Northeast Ohio. Fans vehemently defended Beckham who did at least try and prove he was happy there.

• Haha 2

On 11/7/2021 at 7:39 PM, jcam222 said:

I am thrilled that it doesn't seem to be his non-throwing shoulder that is holding him back. I will happily eat crow. Especially for Zombo.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

You and me both. He looked promising yesterday against the Bengals.  Hell, the stinking Steelers have made a living getting lucky pulling all-pro wrs out of their ass in the lower rounds on a regular basis. I hope it's finally our turn.  

Also, as was pointed out- OBJ was never going to be happy (not getting his stats) in an offense where eight different players catch passes.  

as i said in a different thread  bears released perriman  i would bring him back after the failed obj experiment 

• Upvote 1