THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

Had to fix it - 1970. Type too fast.

Take the Bengals in 2020.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/results/2020

They lost their first two games, then tied in the third game. Beat Jacksonville in the fourth game. Narrowly lost to

our Browns game 5.   . Won their sixth game vs Jacksonville. Got blasted 27-3 in the seventh game. Won their eighth game.

Got blasted by the squealers in the ninth game. Got blasted by Washington in the tenth game, and got hurt that game.

Up to that point - they were 2-7-1. Burrow is a terrific qb, but the idea he can win games by himself is not valid.

The next draft they drafted Jamarr Chase #7 overall.

went to the superbowl.

Same qb. Burrow isn't perfect either. and he wasn't born in 1920. lol

• Haha 1

And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

(easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. ;) )

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

And for the record  Terry Bradshaw is exactly two years and twenty days older than me.  

(easy math to be able to figure that out    -and-   available right here on TBB. ;) )

ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

51 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

ya, it's history. Those who ignore it, don't learn from it. Then history tends to repeat itself, which led to the quagmire the Browns were in for so many years. Berry doesn't play that - I'd already mentioned Burrow, so......wr is the biggest need of the Browns.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-edge-rankings-senior-bowl

Browns offseason: Five biggest needs in Cleveland

Hmmm 7 mentioned in the list and 3 more mentioned by name  =  a lot of the highly sought after edge rushers maybe second only to the franchise quarterbacks to be spread around the 32 teams in the first and maybe second rounds of the upcoming NFL draft.

And 5 of the 10 from the B1G and one from Cincinnati. Who if any end up with the BROWNS ?

This is why the Draft is so much fun and is still a crap shoot every year.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Where do you get these pictures, I wonder?

Like several top teams have. Nitpicking him without realizing receivers are not competitive to the point of making the offense roar to wins 

Neat.

You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   🙄🙄

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Neat.

You seemingly can't fucking wrap your tiny mind around the fact that nearly EVERYTHING I've posted boils down to Bakers pre and post snap decision making in a vacuum.  No other variables at play other than what he reads and does or doesn't do with the ball.  

baloney. It's a team game - when Doug Dieken was clearly lamenting that the wr's were not getting open, that pretty much tells

any honest fan that is isn't a big help to Baker. A qb has to have confidence in his wr's. Experts all around are saying the wr group was vastly overrated. Hodge and a few others didn't make things happen when they left. I've been watching football for decades - since eh....1957? and no qb is absolutely perfect. Even Mahomes made some big mistakes in the playoffs. Peyton Manning once threw three interceptions in a playoff game. Baker isn't perfect. Neither are you, none of us is. Your assumptions are just yours - if the Browns coaches say it, I'll go with it. But they were playing Baker hurt, so he can't be all the incompetent bad reads/ignorant qb you are alleging he is.

as great as Mahomes is, he had mistakes in the playoff game vs Cincy.

https://hosted.ap.org/republicanherald/article/a4df72baf16a76f48007cd9ddba510bd/mistakes-offense-cost-chiefs-3rd-straight-super-bowl-trip

your badgering - Monday morning qb-ing - is just that - you have an ego-centric agenda, and not seeing the forest for the trees.

So, with a terrific cast of wr's who can get open vs the zone and man to man (even Landry is said to have trouble with that in some sportswriter circles), watch Baker have a far easier time making great "reads".

So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

11 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Neat.

Edit:  WHERE do I get these pics from?  Well either there's a secret cult with a secret website dedicated to "Baker hating"  - OR - I pay the $150 a year for the All-22 game pass, watch them in full that way and breakdown the plays when I review. 

But no, they're TOTALLY not my screenshots, work and original thoughts or anything like that...   🙄🙄

When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.  (and on some of those screen shots, we clearly had guys open) I don't even think you ragged on Baker for holding onto the ball for too long much...   Another glaring fault of his, that's a direct result of not being able to process what the defense is showing him post snap a couple of beats too slow.... 

So let's see regarding the Browns...  Stud o-line... check...  stud running game... check....  Well golly gee... all we need on top of that  is a staple of stud WRs who can get open by 10 yards so Baker can relive his glory days at Oklahoma.... Shit- give any 1\2 decent NFL QB that kind of luxury cockpit, I'll put Bryan Hoyer in the Super Bowl with it..  :D   

13 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

So if Davante Adams and Garrett Wilson with a healthy Oline cant get us over the hump what are we waiting for?  Worst case, It seems like we can sign a QB to play like Baker for half the price and start the process of moving on while gaining a second day pick possibly on an asset we will not hold in 2023.  

5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

5th year option is fully guaranteed.  Nobody is going to take Baker in a trade without us giving up insane draft capital.    

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Baker to improve.  But when I watch film I deal with what I'm given, a bit of projection based on coaching and effort, but also look to see if high level traits are being flashed (at minimum)  Usually that's my criteria for evaluating draft prospects and rookies.  Baker is a 4th year QB making the same mistakes he did as a second year QB.  What I'm saying is - I have severe doubts, and I've seen little to nothing making me believe it will improve.

Baker will surely start next season with an upgraded WR group.

By the Numbers: Baker Mayfield sets franchise record ...

By the Numbers: Baker Mayfield sets franchise record, sends Browns to comeback victory Cleveland's QB completed 21 straight passes in the 37-34 win Oct 25, 2020 at 05:38 PM

21 straight passes to  from a  qb who "can't make pre-snap reads" ???

I say Baker comes back, and the Browns offense will have some major WR additions.

Many experts are saying WR is the biggest need of the Browns. Why would that be, if all they have to do

is change to a qb  with a magic twanger who can make subpar group of wr's magical? nah.

Where DO you get those pics/videos of NFL plays?

A star qb in 2020, but he "can't ..."

"I don't think so, Tim"

character_large_332x363_al.jpg?height=36

3 Reasons Cleveland Browns should target WR Mike Williams ...

The Cleveland Browns need help in the wide receiver department. Mike Williams of the Chargers is available in free agency and could be the spark they need.

Browns: Baker Mayfield needs an elite WR cus Odell Beckham ...

Browns: Baker Mayfield needs an elite WR because Odell Beckham isn't anymore Odell Beckham is no longer the answer for Baker Mayfield and the Browns. The Browns need help at receiver. This isn't a...

How badly do the Cleveland Browns need a receiver? Look at ...

Add any level of need you might imagine to the Browns' pass-catching corps. Wide receiver is a pressing, crying, desperate, howling need that must, must, must be met this offseason.

19 hours ago, hoorta said:

When Cal can't admit what his eyes or your posts are demonstrating... Just whine about our lack of WRs instead.

Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Ya know, it's really not much different from Po.  (where's he been anyway?).  Po loved Hogan.  

I don't like Baker's decision making.  He's too quick to pass up the shorter receiver (who often times has plenty of room to add YAC) to look for a receiver downfield...which will make the play more about himself.  He'll even try running for the 1st down rather than throw it to the receiver just past the sticks, 7 yards in front of him.  The smart QB's don't do things like that.  And because he's not tall, he sometimes misses high over the middle of the field while trying to throw it hard and yet over the linemen.

I'm pretty much assuming that he's our QB next year....but I wouldn't be very surprised if something were to happen.

How rude. LOL

nah, I'm not like PO at all. If they draft a qb to replace Baker, I'm good. It's their decision, they know a heck of a lot more than we do.

It's just that, sure, I would like to see Baker throw certain short open throws, but it's more complicated than that. Decision making isn't all on the qb. Pre snap bull crap - the qb has to have confidence in the throw to make the play needed. I wouldn't throw to a wide open back out in the flat when it's third and nine or more. The chances are slim when they are giving that easily. Like the one play where Landry gets a chance to make a half back throw - he got mugged. I'd have to go back and look, but I don't believe he had any wr open.

I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me. I think when you have a subpar group of wr's - it kills decision making often. All over the internet and sport shows, they are talking about how the Browns NEED to rebuild their wr group. So, I'm just saying- it is not all on Baker. He isn't perfect, I get it. The clip of Landry raising hell with the rest of the wr group - that was for good reason. I hope they can keep Landry - but he's been hurt a lot, and will make 14 million? They have big decisions to make.

It won't matter who starts at qb for the Browns if they go with the same wr cast, plain and simply - they will not.

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

How rude. LOL

:)

I said before, I would never have played Baker that first pittspuke game - he was hurt. Not playing Keenum just confounds me.

As I said in another thread (I think it was a different thread); If the medical team says that your starting #1 overall pick QB is medically cleared to play....and the player says that he's good to play....and he partakes in the practices....as the HC, what is going to be your reason for benching the starting QB?  Are you gonna say that he's hurt and your medical team is a bunch of quacks?  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orion said:

As I said in another thread (I think it was a different thread); If the medical team says that your starting #1 overall pick QB is medically cleared to play....and the player says that he's good to play....and he partakes in the practices....as the HC, what is going to be your reason for benching the starting QB?  Are you gonna say that he's hurt and your medical team is a bunch of quacks?  

What the coaches ended up doing, albeit for good reasons - inspire the team, etc.. they ended up throwing

Baker under the bus of media and fan criticism. Baker can handle it, but - he ended up admitting he played like crap.

Bad coaching decision - "technically he can play" doesn't mean he can play well - it seems tough to expect a qb to throw with

much velocity and accuracy without using his left shoulder, etc. It does seem like the Browns' coaches were caught in a "crap if we do, crap if we don't" situation.

well, look at some non-top 20 quarterbacks who have been to the superbowl.

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.

There aren't many Peyton Mannings, Tom Brady's in the NFL now or before.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.   But the thing that all of those players have in common is that they're teams moved on from them before their time.  (Flacco being the possible exception)

True enough.  You have to work with the best thing you've got....while looking under every stone.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BaconHound said:

I still don’t understand why many are considered haters if they feel he’s not a top 20 QB.

What will we see from Baker in 2022?  The 2020 Mayfield, or the wounded 2021 version?  Lately, when "top NFL quarterbacks" comes up.. Baker's not in the discussion anymore. Well, if he needs more stud WRs on top of what the Browns already have, it's almost a tacit admission he's Mr. Average.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as Dandy Andy Dalton took the Bengals to multiple playoff berths and no Super Bowls with an equally stud surrounding cast. Are we willing to settle for that level of success? Or do what the Rams did, ship out Goff and a pile of draft picks to bring in Matt Stafford and get the big prize? 

Regarding those film breakdowns Tia posted...  I'm sure the Browns brain trust, as well as every opposing Defensive Coordinator has gone over them- and a lot more- dozens of times. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

What will we see from Baker in 2022?  The 2020 Mayfield, or the wounded 2021 version?  Lately, when "top NFL quarterbacks" comes up.. Baker's not in the discussion anymore. Well, if he needs more stud WRs on top of what the Browns already have, it's almost a tacit admission he's Mr. Average.  Not necessarily a bad thing, as Dandy Andy Dalton took the Bengals to multiple playoff berths and no Super Bowls with an equally stud surrounding cast. Are we willing to settle for that level of success? Or do what the Rams did, ship out Goff and a pile of draft picks to bring in Matt Stafford and get the big prize? 

Regarding those film breakdowns Tia posted...  I'm sure the Browns brain trust, as well as every opposing Defensive Coordinator has gone over them- and a lot more- dozens of times. 

The Rams big prize was already bought and paid for... What part of The Rams are the flagship team of the NFL do you not understand..?.. They were never gonna lose the game... Unless an act of God transpired... The Idea that BLOWDELL could sandbag his way out of town , then come out smelling like a french whore is just all wrong... There ought to be sanctions on the Rams and Von Miller for coaxing Odell in mid season to tank his way out of town...

I hope BLOWDELL takes his cute little ring..  Sticks it on his pud then shoves it up his ass,, Never to be heard from again... I'm sure his wheels are toast now...

3 hours ago, nickers said:

The Rams big prize was already bought and paid for... What part of The Rams are the flagship team of the NFL do you not understand..?.. They were never gonna lose the game... Unless an act of God transpired... The Idea that BLOWDELL could sandbag his way out of town , then come out smelling like a french whore is just all wrong... There ought to be sanctions on the Rams and Von Miller for coaxing Odell in mid season to tank his way out of town...

I hope BLOWDELL takes his cute little ring..  Sticks it on his pud then shoves it up his ass,, Never to be heard from again... I'm sure his wheels are toast now...

Rams the NFL's Flagship Team?  You forget about the Cowboys? America's frontrunner fans all love a glitzy winner. Don't forget I consider the Rams owner Kroenke as big, if not a bigger sleazebag than Modell. 

The Rams pushed all their chips  (and draft picks) into the middle of the table to get a Ring. Let's see what happens when the bills start coming due. LA fans are notoriously fickle.  

Regarding OBJ, yeah- that second ACL on the same knee will likley shelve him for 2022, if not for good. But as a pure business decision, tip of the cap there. He made more in bonuses in six months than most of us peons make in a lifetime.  

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, calfoxwc said:

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.

Jimmy G - Was carried, hasn't been back.  Team is forced to carry his corpse to the finish line, which is why the drafted his replacement.  - Lost

Goff - Fell off a cliff when defenses got hip to the scheme.  Like Jimmy G, carried by the talent around him.  He was so bad LA was willing to mortgage huge future draft capital to get rid of him and his salary.  - Lost

Foles - Cinderella story.   Is an average to below-average QB.  Philly has limped along since. - Won

Cam - spectacular 2015 season which was sandwiched between years of up and down play including post season blunders.  - Lost

Joe - Like Foles, played well over his head along with having talent around him and favorable matchups. - won

Colin - Imploded in the entire 1st half of that superbowl.  Scrambled his ass off in the 2nd half then fell short.  When defenses started seeing his eye patterns, he started falling apart. - Lost

Rexy - Founder of the "Fuck it, I'm throwing deep" club...   Was fortunate enough to play during a stretch of remarkable Chicago defense in an NFC that had a bit of a "down" period.   Never went back and never sniffed stats indicative of a playoff worthy QB who actually leads his team as the focal point of the offense. - Lost

None of these QB's ended up going back to the Superbowl.  Actually the closest is Jimmy G in the NFC title game

So of this list, the starting QB's were 2 and 5.   Re: Brady and Manning - they're two all time greats.   But your mentioning of them is hollow.  Franchise QB's existed before their time,  and they'll be apart of the NFL long after they're gone.   You have a group of young one's right now that are becoming the face of the NFL.   If you want the most sure-fire way to not only make it to a superbowl, but to actually have a shot at keeping the window open for repeat deep playoff runs, the overwhelming evidence points to having a top-tier QB who can carry the offense and be built around - NOT built for.      

Building a team so dominant at so many different positions and winning a Superbowl is as rare as finding top-tier signal callers who can lead the charge.

Can you build a competitive team and help turn around a 20 year stretch of depressing losing culture? Absolutely.    Which is what the Browns should be focused on if no franchise QB presents himself.    It has long been mentioned on this board, this team would be at least competitive, entertaining and prideful to watch if they got slightly-above average QB play along with a strong supporting cast.   At least at that point you can make yourself a wild-card team and continue building said culture of winning games and coaching stability.

Cal, I do have a follow up about our wide receiver corps coming at some point.  Stay patient.   

And I noticed since I posted my last film bits, this thread has gotten just over 600 views in a few days....  interesting.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Cal, I do have a follow up about our wide receiver corps coming at some point.  Stay patient.   

And I noticed since I posted my last film bits, this thread has gotten just over 600 views in a few days....  interesting.

I look forward to it. And, glad to help you out with that. 

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Goff - Fell off a cliff when defenses got hip to the scheme.  

This could very well be Baker's fate here in Cleveland. 

Average starting QB schemed to success early on with new coaching staff, defenses caught on, productivity starts to level out. 

I have this nagging feeling the highwater mark for Baker in Cleveland was him having a chance to drive down the field to beat Kansas City in the divisional playoff game, January 2021. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2022 at 4:13 PM, calfoxwc said:

my opinion...

Garrapalo

Goff

Foles

Cam Newton

Joe Flacco

Colin Clapperdick

Rex Grossman

etc.

No, not anymore, but there are, of course, Mahomes, Allens, Burrows, Herberts, Rogers and Staffords. That's four killers in the AFC alone. And that's assuming Mac Jones, Lamar Jackson aren't gonna be studs moving forward. Right now, we got the 3rd best QB in the North.

And on your list of non top 20 QBs to make a SB, you left off Dilfer and Brad Johnson.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

No, not anymore, but there are, of course, Mahomes, Allens, Burrows, Herberts, Rogers and Staffords. That's four killers in the AFC alone.

Glad you mentioned that.  I thought it but forgot to put it in my earlier comment.  There's a little bunch of quite good QB's in the league.  It's not just one or two lucky teams.  But if you don't have one of the upper tier QB's, then consistent winning is just that much harder for ya.  The Titans are really quite good.  But they don't have the passing game to compete in shoot-outs.  

Every so often a team will sneak away with a SuperBowl win....like Frank Ryan and the Browns did in '64.  (a stellar game by Ryan, stellar game by the D, and Jim Brown wound up getting his 100 yards)  But they were the underdog, and they weren't able to repeat.  Now when Otto Graham was the QB, that was a different story.  They were constantly competing for the Championship.  -  It's always been all about the QB.

If you don't have a top tier QB, then you must keep looking for one.  Draft one every year.  Even if it's a 6th round tall drink of water with a strong arm that plays at Bumfuck State.  Keep diggin'.

15 hours ago, Icecube said:

No, not anymore, but there are, of course, Mahomes, Allens, Burrows, Herberts, Rogers and Staffords. That's four killers in the AFC alone. And that's assuming Mac Jones, Lamar Jackson aren't gonna be studs moving forward. Right now, we got the 3rd best QB in the North.

And on your list of non top 20 QBs to make a SB, you left off Dilfer and Brad Johnson.  

Didn't Mike Hostetler (GIANTS) make a SB appearance too?