THE BROWNS BOARD

Liberal or conservative?

Westside Steve

There has been a lot of bickering lately because I don't think people understand the difference between conservative or liberal or honestly might just have a different understanding of those terms than I do. There are, of course, a lot of issues that are assigned to each of these two categories but what do you think about it I don't think that's a good fit. Conservatives to my mind are people who like things to stay the way they are like the Traditions I don't want to see them changed regardless of the fact that sometimes things really need to evolve. Liberals on the other hand like to break down the old traditions and cast them aside again whether or not they really need to be. Like the vandals used to destroy every Vestige of the culture that they Conquered.

In my opinion the true conservative idea would be closer the Uncle John Marshalls idea that constitutionally if something is not specifically forbidden, it's okay. In real life we have to deal with the negative aspects of both liberalism and conservatism. But I don't think those things are necessarily rooted in the actual terms.

There are a lot of cases our freedom is restricted the people assign to conservative or liberal practices that don't seem substantially different from each other. 

Americans are restricted from , in various situations, hiring or serving or renting or selling your property to the people you choose. Drinking whiskey or beer or smoking a joint. Purchasing a blowjob from someone who wants to give you one and wants the money. Keeping your tax money because it's being spent on something you are truly morally opposed to. I'll let you guys fill in the blanks.

But the morality has nothing to do with whether those restrictions are liberal or conservative. I would say the restrictions themselves are the key.

It really is just a matter of Anarchy versus totalitarianism and at what point we fall on the graph, regardless of the moral ideals.

Anybody disagree? 

WSS

There's a lot to be said about that.

With regards to morality and the fact we both like the same things, (sex, pot, and rock and roll} libs differ from conservatives in that conservatives know where to draw the line. 

The "if it feels good do it"  attitude is the abandonment of self control. When individuals are too lazy to regulate themselves, the result is a dysfunctional society.

• Upvote 1

liberals are overwhelmingly irresponsible.  they refuse to accept responsibility for their destructive actions.

so they go for voter fraud, abortion, drugs, crime, and looking at the world and every reality around them only in terms of how they FEEL about themselves at any given time.

It's a very sad, strange existence.

16 hours ago, Gorka said:

There's a lot to be said about that.

With regards to morality and the fact we both like the same things, (sex, pot, and rock and roll} libs differ from conservatives in that conservatives know where to draw the line. 

The "if it feels good do it"  attitude is the abandonment of self control. When individuals are too lazy to regulate themselves, the result is a dysfunctional society.

Again I'm not talking about morality only if the difference between the two concepts Ayn Rand vs Karl Marx.

WSS

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-argue-Marxism-vs-libertarianism-as-objective-as-possible-with-points-made-that-showcase-understanding-for-both?share=1

"

The simplest way to differentiate ideologies is to look at the roles of the public, private and civil sectors and what the roles of citizens (or subjects, when government is sovereign as it usually is) are to be.

In republicanism and libertarianism, the government is limited to the functions and roles enumerated for it with citizens sovereign: all equal before the law and all with equal access to the public sector. Meanwhile, citizens are free to go about their business singly or in concert in the private and civil spheres.

In Marxist communism, the private and civil spheres voluntarily merge into the public sphere with all citizens (in theory) radically equal. The temporary dictatorship of the proletariat aside, there was to be no state authority. In state communism, by contrast, state authority remained so extreme as to be totalitarian, and all but the political elite were mere subjects owing whatever duty is demanded of them. In The Road to Serfdom, Friedrich Hayek explained this outcome as the inevitable rise of despotism stemming from any centrally planned society."

3 hours ago, htownbrown said:

It really comes down to how much government you want and how it's used.  It's not really us vs them in principles.

I don't think any liberal hates freedom or equality, but they surely have a different interpretation of what they are and how they're achieved.

Maybe true - liberals take freedom for granted. and they feel that money grows on trees.

From what I've noticed, liberals do not love ANYTHING. Except maybe supporting their terribly bloated superegos

• Like 1