THE BROWNS BOARD

★ NFL WEEK 4 ★. News and notes,  and Cleveland -2 at Minnesota. On CBS at 1 pm EDT.

mjp28

★ NFL WEEK 4 ★. News and notes,  and Cleveland -2 at Minnesota.  On CBS at 1 pm EDT.   The O/U is 51.5.

And 3 of 4 AFCN teams are on the road but would you believe that only CLE and home CIN are favorites ?    BAL +1 at DEN  and  PIT +6.5 at DEN.

I always like to take a peak at next week games too......hey the coaches and players do !     CLE at LAC is even right now.

And for more......    https://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/?s=935

Screenshot_2021-09-30_171105.jpg

Tonight on TNF........

Jaguars
Player Position Injuries Practice Status Game Status
Josh Lambo K Not injury related - personal matter Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Roy Robertson-Harris DT Ankle Limited Participation in Practice Out
Tre Herndon CB   Full Participation in Practice  
Cam Robinson T   Full Participation in Practice  
Andrew Norwell G   Full Participation in Practice  

Bengals
Chidobe Awuzie CB Groin Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
Darius Phillips CB   Full Participation in Practice  
Riley Reiff T   Full Participation in Practice  
Markus Bailey LB   Full Participation in Practice  
Tee Higgins WR Shoulder Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Xavier Su'a-Filo G Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
Jessie Bates S Neck Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Trae Waynes CB   Full Participation in Practice

And on Sunday on CBS at 1 pm EDT.......

Browns
Sione Takitaki LB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Odell Beckham Jr. WR   Limited Participation in Practice  
Jack Conklin T   Limited Participation in Practice  
Greg Newsome II CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Chris Hubbard T   Limited Participation in Practice  
Jedrick Wills T   Did Not Participate In Practice  
JC Tretter C   Did Not Participate In Practice  

Vikings
Anthony Barr LB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Adam Thielen WR   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Xavier Woods S   Limited Participation in Practice  
Rashod Hill T   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Eric Kendricks LB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Mackensie Alexander CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Christian Darrisaw T   Full Participation in Practice  
Tyler Conklin TE   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Patrick Peterson CB   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Dalvin Cook RB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Harrison Hand CB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Harrison Smith S   Did Not Participate In Practice  
Greg Joseph K   Full Participation in Practice  
Kris Boyd CB   Limited Participation in Practice  
Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR   Did Not Participate In Practice

16 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Wow Minny has some significant DNPs Thielen Peterson Smith.  Wonder what’s up 

Veteran rest days, most of them. 

16 hours ago, gumby73 said:

some experts say?    Captain obvious There you have it GIF - Captain obvious There you have it Look at that GIFs    https://www.vikings.com/news/nfl-expert-picks-browns-week-4   

while I'm over at Pro Pick'em like..... Cant speak Hold up GIF - Cant speak Hold up Obvious GIFs

Interesting, I actually have Minnesota as the favorite, only because it's a home game. I think it's a very close and fun game. I'm just not sure exactly how good we are yet. Minnesota scores the ball like us but has a much more explosive passing game (8 tds or so). Baker isn't throwing tds, which is somewhat worrisome, but we have to consider the amount of rushing tds we have, too. Still, we'll need both the run and the pass to win. Expect to need 30 points to have a chance at winning, and probably a defensive score. 

Bad time to have our oline banged up. Imagine if Wills and Conklin can't go, and Hubbard, Conklin's back up can't either.

it if was somebody elses team I would be happy to watch them struggle to figure out who could play and still win.

Hudson would start at Lt? Hance at RT? I'm not worried about Harris starting at center that much. Those guys leave it all out there every game, though, and will start unless they just are ruled out. I notice on the depth chart, we don't have any third string offensive linemen.....

22 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Bad time to have our oline banged up. Imagine if Wills and Conklin can't go, and Hubbard, Conklin's back up can't either.

it if was somebody elses team I would be happy to watch them struggle to figure out who could play and still win.

Hudson would start at Lt? Hance at RT? I'm not worried about Harris starting at center that much. Those guys leave it all out there every game, though, and will start unless they just are ruled out. I notice on the depth chart, we don't have any third string offensive linemen.....

I haven’t heard that any of the Oline has been ruled out.  Wills and Tretter have essentially not practiced but played the last two weeks 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Took the over with CIN-JAX.   Missed by 1 point.  Sons a bitches...

Missed opportunities in the first half CIN FG and JAX TD.  Oh well a few good games coming up.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Hudson would start at Lt? 

Hudson can only play LT.. In pre-season, they swung him to RT and his technique proved really worry-some.. Hudson looks to be on a red-shirt rookie season.. He should not play till after Hubbard/Michael Dunn or Blake Hance at either Tackle positions

I'm not worried about Harris starting at center that much. 

Most should be! If not for Michael Dunn suffering a back injury in PS3.. I'm not sure Harris was the C2 or Michael Dunn was?

I notice on the depth chart, we don't have any third string offensive linemen.....

Hubbard swings all positions but Center..He's 1st off the bench, but for playing Center... Hance & Michael Dunn can both swing Center & both Guard spots. Both could be still ahead of Hudson at either tackle spot?

Due to Michael Dunn's untimely back injury (first game week not* listed on injury report) ... I'm not sure how the coaches weigh Dunn vs Hance at any position at this point of week 4?  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I haven’t heard that any of the Oline has been ruled out.  Wills and Tretter have essentially not practiced but played the last two weeks 

Yeah, but Wills hasn't been good. He can't move and that's a problem. This really isn't a great match up for us, especially without Newsome. Cousins absolutely does NOT hold onto the ball, so it's gonna take more than a pass rush to disrupt their offense. We have to confuse him and take away primary reads...much easier said than done. Their offense is near identical to ours. Lots of bootlegs and power trap blocking. 

I'm not sold on us just yet. You never want to peak in the first quarter of the season, so there's still a ton of time to reach full potential, but I'm not sold on us being true contenders. Our next 3-4 games will officially answer that. I don't love losing that Chiefs game, especially with Baker having a chance to win and blowing it. That means he blew opportunities to beat the Chiefs in essentially back to back games. It sucks to look at it that way, but it's true. 

I think we're a pretty good team, I'm not sure we're a VERY good team. I'm concerned about Baker and I don't love being without Jarvis. Why concerned? He didn't look right throwing last week and I don't think he's healthy. Throwing high in the NFL will get you picked or your players killed. Cousins does not throw high, he does not throw late, and he will punish you in the red zone. 

Then why are they 1-2? Because winning in the NFL is freaking hard. They missed a kick to win a game and they also fumbled on a game winning drive. They then proceeded to obliterate a very good Seahawks team in Minnesota, which is where our game is played. It will be LOUD AF. We absolutely fell apart in Kansas City, let's see how we do in game 4. I'm painfully predicting a loss, but it'll be a fun game. I think it's more of a reflection of how good THEY are at home and nothing against us. Like I said, you don't want to peak early, and we need to be 4-4 through about halfway through the season and then turn it ON when division games start to flood the schedule. Still, we can definitely win this game, I just wouldn't bet on it.

Browns - 27

Vikings - 32

*The one caveat I'll make for this game is we win if we get a defensive TD. Cousins hasn't thrown many picks lately and he could be due for a deflection pick-6 or something. We've been so close with turnovers, whether from sacks or good secondary play. The turnover game is coming soon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I really like what Coach Stump Mitchell had to say about the running game. They are putting stopping Chubb and Hunt at the top of their list when they play the Browns.

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-keys-to-a-browns-victory-over-the-vikings/

3 Keys To A Browns Victory Over The Vikings

"

#Browns Stump Mitchell on patience in the run game:

“We have to wear these guys down. Patience is the key. Defensively, those guys are keying the RBs, so we have to try and stress our running tracks—get our guys going where we want them to go in order to make the cuts we need.”

— Camryn Justice (@camijustice) October 1, 2021"

Jiggins, you're take on the game makes sense, but won't agree on Baker blowing the Chiefs game. 

Winning on the road is tough, let's see if the Browns get it done. @Minn, @Chargers. Two toughies before 3 home toughies. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

Jiggins, you're take on the game makes sense, but won't agree on Baker blowing the Chiefs game. 

Winning on the road is tough, let's see if the Browns get it done. @Minn, @Chargers. Two toughies before 3 home toughies. 

You're right, that's a bit harsh. How about, we've had back to back chances to beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead with last minute drives and we failed both times. 

It's interesting, I just saw a collection of analyst's picks, and 11 out of 12 picked the Browns to win. I honestly don't believe people outside of Browns fandom understand how valuable Jarvis Landry is to the team. You want proof? Check out going 0-2 on 4th down in 1st half. Who do we LOVE using on 4th and short? Landry. Catching, running, heck...THROWING. Landry is our gadget dude with reliable hands. 

With Landry and Newsome healthy, I'm picking the Browns. Unfortunately, I don't trust Greedy against a red hot passing attack, and I also don't trust Joe Woods just yet. It's funny, I watched film breakdown videos from Bears point of view and they showed 5-6 potential HUGE plays that Fields didn't see. Easy plays, too. 

Again, to be fair, it's VERY easy to play armchair QB and EVERY offense misses opportunities each week, BUT I'm talking about Fields missing the RB out of the backfield with nobody on him with miles of grass around him. Receivers streaking down the field open for a td in a 3-3 game. Yes, we were ultra aggressive and wanted to force Fields to beat us deep, but man...there were some easy scores left out there. 

I'm not sure how good we are yet. I guess nobody does, but I can tell you OBJ makes us a different team. If we keep him on the field, I love our offense and our ability to score the ball. We CAN definitely win this game, and nothing would make me happier, but it's going to be a war. 

I’m going to glass half full guy and give a few reasons to show a little more confidence…

I’m sure you guys remember Michael Pierce ex Raven.  He’s a Viking now and it looks like a game time decision he’s hurt so he can’t go or he can’t be 100% big bonus to us in an already suspect area for the Minnesota. 

I think Baker is dinged up too.  But I saw him take his first real pass rush of the year.  The Falcons, Chiefs and Texans couldn’t disrupt him.  His feet were a mess a few throws he didn’t really step and throw- so naturally ball sails high and wide.  I don’t think we face another team with dudes up front like the Bears in this matchup.

We hold two key advantages IMO.  Our Front 7 against their Line and Backs.  Does a rookie seeing his first time EVER in the NFL hold up against Myles? If this game is truly almost a “pick’em” type game.  I’ll take the team with Myles Garrett against a newly minted rookie. Keep in mind this is unit that at best is solid and at times this year like the  Bengals game look overwhelmed. 

Our Backs and line against their front 7. Okay Wills is hobbled and at times we looked shaky (against the Bears front by the way) we came through when it mattered.  This game represents an easier challenge and we have the best back tandem in the league and when we go playaction with some of our other toys like OBJ, DPJ, four TEs and Felton that will see action against two corners that haven’t played including Breeland who has graded out as the WORST corner thus far in three games.  I expect Safety help on OBJ side just as the Bears did.  So you better believe it is a huge advantage having OBJ out there.

Crowd noise…we handled the crowd noise at  KC okay right?  And that’s the standard?

Easy game? by no means would I call it such.   

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Crowd noise…we handled the crowd noise at  KC okay right?  And that’s the standard?

We did really well, especially early. I do not like how we collapsed late, though. But you're right...we did handle it. I love someone's earlier snipit about being patient and wearing them down. It's going to be THAT kind of game. 

But you're right SD Backer, there's definitely cause for optimism. I mean, we're a good freaking team. That's what makes that Chiefs game so painful. 3-1 is so much better than 2-2 with the teeth of the schedule coming up. But you know what? Maybe I'm not giving us enough credit, even without Newsome and Landry. We have a boatload of weapons and the best RBs in the league. We have Myles Garrett and Clowney. JOK is going bananas. 

Man, this could be the game of the week, for sure. Great storyline, big offense, in a dome, and two teams about to let it rip. If you have OBJ in fantasy, be sure to start him. He could have a game similar to the Cowboys game last year. 

LFG! 

The misdirection that MIN uses has been JOK's weakness at NoD and in the first couple games of the season.    I'm certain if he is starting that the Vikings coaching staff will be targeting him like that.   Zimmer and co. are better than what Nagy and his staff handed to Justin Fields.

8 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We hold two key advantages IMO.  Our Front 7 against their Line and Backs.  Does a rookie seeing his first time EVER in the NFL hold up against Myles? If this game is truly almost a “pick’em” type game.  I’ll take the team with Myles Garrett against a newly minted rookie. Keep in mind this is unit that at best is solid and at times this year like the  Bengals game look overwhelmed. 

Our Backs and line against their front 7. Okay Wills is hobbled and at times we looked shaky (against the Bears front by the way) we came through when it mattered.  This game represents an easier challenge and we have the best back tandem in the league and when we go playaction with some of our other toys like OBJ, DPJ, four TEs and Felton that will see action against two corners that haven’t played including Breeland who has graded out as the WORST corner thus far in three games.  I expect Safety help on OBJ side just as the Bears did.  So you better believe it is a huge advantage having OBJ out there.

My same thoughts right here^^ most the week..in a wider nutshell? I can't see Breeland covering the speed of Scwhartz, if Peterson chases OBJ for the day..Schwartz underneath drag routes should be in the game plan too.. Felton receiving is another game bonus in the passing game

The media worry of Greedy replacing Newsome? Troy Hill has no issue playing outside corner.. 👀 Greedy & AJ Green are not the slowest slot corners.. 

Our good OL just needs to stalemate a good Vikings front 7... I can't say that, or seen that in the Vikings OL play this season...Cousins is just getting the ball out so quick to balance their play.. Get a tip pick or jump a route? That dome will get quiet..     

Felton,  RB   0 rushing attempts   4  receptions

Landry, WR  2 rushing attempts   6  receptions

OBJ,   WR   1 rushing attempt    5 receptions

Schwartz, WR  1 rushing attempt  3 receptions