THE BROWNS BOARD

PAYING THE PRICE Major supermarket chain warns inflation is about to hit Americans in the wallet

Vambo

I've been talking about the eventual skyrocketing of prices. Families on the edge of doing well will be hit badly.

Already, a friend bought a new house - just in time to avoid an automatic across-the-board extra charge of30, 000 dollars.

and the phase after that is ANOTHER 30 thous on top of that.

There are many ways to save money. My latest tip is - to buy a big bag of frozen green beans - the biggest I've found was at Gordon's, 4 lbs. They have already been blanched. Simply dehydrate them, put them in a jar or special bag for sealing air out (regular plastic bags do not, it's a fact), put in an oxygen absorber packet, and they will last months/years. Corn, etc.

Now, I can deer hunt, squirrel hunt, duck/goose hunt....wish we still had pheasants all over like in the old days....there are many plants you can add to your cupboards...but you have to LEARN about some plants - they have POISON look-a-likes. You have to know the difference. Morel mushrooms are easy to ID in the spring. You can make bread with some wild roots and flour. Pine needle tea is high in vitamin C... (not all "pines" are good for this). White pine is. and you can even collect some of the inner cambium layer bark and eat that, use it in recipes... like

Pine Bark Bread ~ Traditional Scandinavian Recipe

The author of A Boreal Herbal notes, " The inner bark (cambium layer) has long been used as a survival food and can also be eaten in raw slices. I like to use the soft, moist, white inner bark for making pesto. Most pesto recipes call for pine nuts. But one day, when I was making pesto I didn't have any around.

this time of year - rose hips should be able to be found....

Too late to grow a garden outside much, but you could learn to do seed sprouting indoors.

If ...when? serious inflation hits.... so many folks will be scrambling to lower costs.

Taking good times for granted will make the shock of hard times worse.

Kroger is already high priced. I went there and bought about 20 things. Then I had to go to Walmart for some other things that Kroger doesn’t have

I actually took the Kroger receipt into Walmart. I looked for all the products that were the same. I spent $55 at Kroger and the same items at Walmart were $49. Some things were the same price, but none of the Kroger prices were lower

Also were I live, there are 2 Walmart stores, 1 Kroger, 1 Save-A-Lot, and 2 Food Fair. Not a big selection of grocery stores

Save-A-Lot does have great deals on meat. But you have to buy “family” packs. We have a vacuum sealer machine. So we just freeze a lot of stuff when it’s on sale

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Also were I live, there are 2 Walmart stores, 1 Kroger, 1 Save-A-Lot, and 2 Food Fair. Not a big selection of grocery stores

Save-A-Lot does have great deals on meat. But you have to buy “family” packs. We have a vacuum sealer machine. So we just freeze a lot of stuff when it’s on sale

You can also make beef jerky, pemmican, etc, and store it in your refrigerator. Would still keep a good while if the power went out.