THE BROWNS BOARD

TE Carlson is out for the year with knee injury

calfoxwc

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

too bad. Seemed like Jordan Franks has enough skills to step up.

https://www.brownsnation.com/report-te-stephen-carlson-out-for-the-season-with-knee-injury/

I liked Carlson as a valuable depth piece.

I think we have some options. And  Franks just looked okay at times.

Do we find a trade partner with a WR needy team and maybe swap a WR for a TE? 

Do we just carry three?  It is Doubtful given are two TE sets.

In two years Carlson has played 25 games and caught a total of 6 passes.

We still have 5 TE's on the roster.  I'm assuming Franks or Connor can pick up that kind of production.  Heck, the way they were throwing to Stanton last Saturday, move him out there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Does anyone have a link to the seriousness of Carlson's knee injury? ACL? MCL? Sprain/tear? requires surgery to repair ? 

Likely*expected... turned into IR after MRI.. That part I get ...

weeks... we might could roster it?  .. months to a year?  not* happening in Kev's offense 

Edit--Stef presser 8-17-- "Sadly, Stephen Carlson will need season ending knee surgery"

1 hour ago, Orion said:

We still have 5 TE's on the roster.  I'm assuming Franks or Connor can pick up that kind of production.  Heck, the way they were throwing to Stanton last Saturday, move him out there.

It is 7.  He caught an onside kick with his crotch.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

It is 7.  He caught an onside kick with his crotch.

That was a game winning catch.  :)

....though I don't often say it, and often sound cold, I do feel bad for any player who gets hurt.....or gets cut in training camp.  It's their dream...

On 8/18/2021 at 8:32 AM, Axe said:

Tebow's available ;)

From Yahoo Sports........

The Tim Tebow experiment in Jacksonville didn’t last long.

The former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback turned sports broadcaster turned minor league baseball player turned long-shot NFL tight end project was cut on Tuesday, after just a single preseason game.

The 34-year-old’s football career is presumably over now. This attempt was unlikely to result in a regular-season roster spot. Tebow was the kind of out-of-the-box training camp invite that teams occasionally offer to only rarely see pan out.

In this case, the opportunity came courtesy of Tebow’s old college coach, Urban Meyer. They won two national titles together at the University of Florida, but that was multiple positions and sports ago.

Tebow was always more of a runner and leader than a traditional pocket or even dual-threat quarterback. Denver picked him in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft and he had a brief run of success — including winning a playoff game — but was gone after just two years.

He hung on for a floundering season with the New York Jets and then made camp appearances with New England and Philadelphia. He then gave up on football because he refused at the time to switch positions. Tebow said he loved playing quarterback, not football, and not even Bill Belichick could convince him to try something different.

Instead, Tebow, who remains popular to many in part due to his outspoken Christian faith, tried a baseball career. He played four seasons of minor league ball for the New York Mets, but capped out with a .163 batting average in Triple-A.......... continued at Yahoo.........

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 6:29 PM, Orion said:

my thoughts exactly cause everytime i saw him he was making a play and as far as franks damn two drops in a row ? no thanks 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATOM said:

my thoughts exactly cause everytime i saw him he was making a play and as far as franks damn two drops in a row ? no thanks 

...and now Connor is on IR.  I think they just signed another TE.  I'd like to see them use Stanton as kind of an H-Back.  You can line him up in the backfield with Chubb and use him as a lead blocker.  He could shift into a TE position, or motion out wider...and still run it with Chubb or throw it to Stanton after faking to Chubb.

On 8/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, Orion said:

...and now Connor is on IR.  I think they just signed another TE.  I'd like to see them use Stanton as kind of an H-Back.  You can line him up in the backfield with Chubb and use him as a lead blocker.  He could shift into a TE position, or motion out wider...and still run it with Chubb or throw it to Stanton after faking to Chubb.

well franks got cut Stanton for now is still on the roster

29 minutes ago, ATOM said:

well franks got cut Stanton for now is still on the roster

Yeah, but ya know what?  They didn't use Stanton at TE at all last night.  Maybe Stef has now made that his secret play(s).....or maybe he'll be cut tomorrow...

Franks caught the ball well last night.  As he's done for most of the preseason.  I was surprised to see him as one of the early cuts.