THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Could be THE Bust of this draft?

The Gipper

Not really going to get into here but 2/5 of Couch's Oline had no business starting in the NFL, 1 was mostly used out of position (Shaun O hara) and the other two were serviceable at best.

William Green was a heavy-footed ball carrier who lacked elite between the tackles size yet didn't have "halfback" speed.  

Andre' Davis never had more than 30 receptions once he left CLE save for a season in Houston with an equally bad Texans team.

Quincy Morgan was a 4th receiver on most teams NOT named the Browns.

Steve Heiden? Whoa...  clone of Touchdown Tony!?!  He was an inline blocker with soft hands that thrived off toughness and smarts because he lacked elite athletic ability.

There isn't a soul from the 2000-2003 squads that would start for the Browns on offense today, not a one.  Ok, Maybe 2007 Shaun O'Hara.  Beyond that?  Closest we might find would be Northcutt in the slot but that's about it.  

Tim Couch was as setup to fail as any QB I've seen in a long time.     The man walked into Heinz field and gave us what would be our last win there in nearly 18 years.    Then he turned around and dropped a couple clunkers.  Whether he was good or sucked is something we'll never know because he wasn't given the supporting cast, coaching staff and time to demonstrate either one. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Not really going to get into here but 2/5 of Couch's Oline had no business starting in the NFL, 1 was mostly used out of position (Shaun O hara) and the other two were serviceable at best.

William Green was a heavy-footed ball carrier who lacked elite between the tackles size yet didn't have "halfback" speed.  

Andre' Davis never had more than 30 receptions once he left CLE save for a season in Houston with an equally bad Texans team.

Steve Heiden? Whoa...  clone of Touchdown Tony!?!  He was an inline blocker with soft hands that thrived off toughness and smarts because he lacked elite athletic ability.

There isn't a soul from the 2000-2003 squads that would start for the Browns on offense today, not a one.  Ok, Maybe 2007 Shaun O'Hara.  Beyond that?  Closest we might find would be Northcutt in the slot but that's about it.  

Tim Couch was as setup to fail as any QB I've seen in a long time.     The man walked into Heinz field and gave us what would be our last win there in nearly 18 years.    Then he turned around and dropped a couple clunkers.  Whether he was good or sucked is something we'll never know because he wasn't given the supporting cast, coaching staff and time to demonstrate either one. 

I ran out of YESes when reading this post.

Yes...Yes...Yes.  I’ve never really thought of Couch as a bust for generally all of the reasons you expressed. 

Manziel, Weeden, Quinn = busts.  Courtney Brown, Justin Gilbert, Barky Mingo = busts too. 

Regarding Northcutt (I used to call him Dropcutt after the Steeler playoff game)

Would probably be a shiny toy that teams would use today.  Definitely not a volume pass catcher like we tried to use him as.  He might have a special sub package on our team today.   He would likely return punts for us too. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

image.png.4ded95a4cdeee054b2fa688c4c0e52bd.png

I never thought of Tim Couch as someone who was going to be elite, but I think he could have been a decent, mid-level starting QB for quite a while if he could have stayed healthy and had better talent around him. Regardless of how good we think he was or could have been, the dude deserves our respect. He got the shit kicked out of him but kept going back out, and I feel he really liked Cleveland and playing for the Browns.

He also married a NE Ohio playmate too.  

10 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Kelly Holcomb fooled everybody when he tore up the Steelers decimated secondary in a playoff game.

When they threw Couch to the curb they found out Holcomb wasn't any better. So they went out & got Jeff Garcia.

He couldn't stay healthy.

Holcomb played a decent amount in three seasons for the Browns. In two of them, he had a QB rating in the 90s, the other in the 70s.

Couch, in his five seasons with the Browns, never had a QB rating higher than 77.6. 

44 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He couldn't stay healthy.

Holcomb played a decent amount in three seasons for the Browns. In two of them, he had a QB rating in the 90s, the other in the 70s.

His record as a starter was 4-8, 4-9 counting the playoff game. Yes, he couldn't stay healthy here. 

He went on to Buffalo (4-4), then Minnesota (0-3). Nothing stellar here or elsewhere.

I just think if a guy gets you to the playoffs (Couch) he shouldn't lose the starting job due to an injury in week 17. Butch fell in love with Holcomb based off one game and it basically sunk the Browns and Butch himself.

32 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

His record as a starter was 4-8, 4-9 counting the playoff game. Yes, he couldn't stay healthy here. 

He went on to Buffalo (4-4), then Minnesota (0-3). Nothing stellar here or elsewhere.

I just think if a guy gets you to the playoffs (Couch) he shouldn't lose the starting job due to an injury in week 17. Butch fell in love with Holcomb based off one game and it basically sunk the Browns and Butch himself.

He lost the job because Davis and Arians knew Couch was somewhat limited as a QB. 

Butch got sunk because he was given too much power and made stupid personnel decisions. Butch the GM got Butch the head coach in hot water. 

The more I think about it,  and hearing that the 49ers spent like  3 first round picks to move into the #3 spot,  my opinion is that if they take Mac Jones  from Alabama at that slot, that it will be he who is  the Big Bust. 

My perception, right or wrong,  is that he really has no more going for him than  other Alabama QBs have.   Convince me that he is  heads and tails above the likes of  Greg McElroy, or AJ McCarron,   or even Tua  who is not getting great reviews for his skills.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:31 PM, Unsympathetic said:

Micah Parsons is from Harrisburg, PA.

Since I'm quite sure this couldn't have been a racist comment, I am glad to see someone finally pointing out that Newt Gingrich [also from Harrisburg] is single-handedly responsible for Harrisburg descending to hood-status.  In fact, Micah is a family man and a saint when compared to the standard Newt has set for Harrisburg -- Micah hasn't cheated on his first two wives yet.

Long overdue, and very relevant to football!

analogy
[əˈnaləjē]
NOUN
  1. a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
    "an analogy between the workings of nature
    as in,
    "you can take a bad character away from bad characters, but you can't take the bad character
    away from the player".

I know where he's from. But saying he has a son now etc, all fine , but Braylon Edwards had a daughter, etc,
    but still didn't get himself straightened out.

It's about drafting for character - paying attention to red flags. Edwards, Manziel, Pharms (4th round lb), William Green, and whoever else I don't want to remember. Including character in the eval of a player you might draft is crucial.
    It's what the Browns do now. Micah Parsons will surely have a great career in the NFL if he really does have his head screwed on straight. "red flags" doesn't mean the player is going to be a disaster - a lot of guys turn their lives around. But to ignore the problems they had in college, lends itself to the failure of players in the NFL when they get big money.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:
analogy
[əˈnaləjē]
NOUN
  1. a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
    "an analogy between the workings of nature
    as in,
    "you can take a bad character away from bad characters, but you can't take the bad character
    away from the player".

I know where he's from. But saying he has a son now etc, all fine , but Braylon Edwards had a daughter, etc,
    but still didn't get himself straightened out.

It's about drafting for character - paying attention to red flags. Edwards, Manziel, Pharms (4th round lb), William Green, and whoever else I don't want to remember. Including character in the eval of a player you might draft is crucial.
    It's what the Browns do now. Micah Parsons will surely have a great career in the NFL if he really does have his head screwed on straight. "red flags" doesn't mean the player is going to be a disaster - a lot of guys turn their lives around. But to ignore the problems they had in college, lends itself to the failure of players in the NFL when they get big money.

We at least do not have to worry about Parsons. So apply these bogus character concerns to someone we may be considering. 

On 4/21/2021 at 3:21 PM, tiamat63 said:

Tim Couch was as setup to fail as any QB I've seen in a long time. 

Two words... David Carr.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:54 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I never thought of Tim Couch as someone who was going to be elite, but I think he could have been a decent, mid-level starting QB for quite a while

I knew he and we were doomed as soon as Palmer said his throwing mechanics were fine and he only needed minor tweaks to his footwork and arm position. :wacko:

StadiumTalk.com  has given a  letter grade to every   First overall pick in the Draft since  1936.   The following are the ones that were, by their measure, the clear busts at the #1 spot.  These are the guys they gave either  Fs or D-s to, for one reason or another.  Some never played,  some were injured,  some in the WWII/Korea era had career derailed by military service,  some just sucked obviously.   I didn't even include the Ds as those made some contribution:

Jay Berwanger

Sam Francis

George Cafego

Tom Harmon

Angelo Bertelli

Bob Fenimore

Harry Babcock

Bobby Garrett

Randy Duncan

Ernie Davis

Terry Baker

Ricky Bell

Tom Cousineau

Jeff George

Steve Emtman

Kijana Carter

Courtney Brown   (but not Tim Couch...he got a D)

Jamarcus Russell

Sam Bradford.  (Couch/Carr considered better)

That same website gives the following opinions.....listing WHICH player should have been taken  with the #1 overall pick instead of the guy that was taken (though sometimes they felt the right choice was made.   I am listing them here  going all the way back to 1960:

2020   Too early

2019  Too early

2018  Lamar Jackson over Baker Mayfield  (I believe this will prove wrong)

2017  Mahomes over  Myles Garrett  ....fair enough

2016 Derrick Henry over Jared Goff

2015  Marcus Peters over  Jameis Winston

2014 Khalil Mack  over   Clowney

2013 Travis Kelce over  Eric Fisher

2012  Russell Wilson over Andrew Luck

2011  JJ Watt over Cam Newton

2010  Gronkowski over  Sam Bradford

2009  Matt Stafford....stick  with him

2008  Matt Ryan over Jake Long

2007  Adrian Peterson over Jamarcus Russell

2006  Mario Williams....stick with him

2005  Aaron Rodgers over  Alex Smith

2004  Eli Manning....stick with him  (even over BR)

2003  Troy Polamalu over  Carson Palmer

2002 Ed Reed over David Carr

2001 Drew Brees over Michael Vick

2000   Tom Brady  #199 over   Courtney Brown

1999  Edgerrin James over  Tim Couch  (not McNabb?)

1998  Peyton Manning....stick with him

1997  Orlando Pace....stick with him

1996  Ray Lewis over  Keyshawn Johnson

1995  Derrick Brooks over  Kijana Carter

1994  Marshall Faulk over  Dan Wilkinson

1993  Michael Strahan over  Drew Bledsoe

1992  Desmond Howard  over  Steve Emtman  (I can't believe he is the best they can come up with)

1991  Brett Favre over Russell Maryland

1990 Emmit Smith over Jeff George

1989  Troy Aikman.....stick

1988  Michael Irvin over  Aundray Bruce

1987  Rod Woodson over  Vinny Testaverde

1986  Charles Haley over Bo Jackson

1985  Bruce Smith.....stick

1984  Boomer Esiason over  Irving Fryar

1983  John Elway....stick..or go with Dan Marino

1982  Marcus Allen over Kenneth Sims

1981  Lawrence Taylor (#2)   over George Rogers

1980  Anthony Munoz over  Billy Sims

1979  Joe Montana over Tom Cousineau

1978 Warren Moon over   Early Campbell ???

1977  Tony Dorsett over Ricky Bell

1976 Leroy Selmon.....stick

1975  Walter Payton  over  Steve Bartkowski

1974  Jack Lambert over Too Tall Jones

1973  Dan Fouts over John Matuszak

1972  Franco Harris over  Walt Patulski

1971  Jim Plunkett....stick

1970  Terry Bradshaw....stick

1969  OJ Simpson....stick

1968  Ron Yary....stick

1967  Alan Page over Bubba Smith

1966  Tommy Nobis....stick

1965  Dick Butkus over Tucker Frederickson

1964  Roger Staubach over  Dave Parks   (even though Staubach had to serve a 5 year tour of duty, though I may have said Paul Warfield)

1963 John Mackey over Terry Baker

1962  They have the Washington Redskins sticking with  Ernie Davis, because, even though  Davis died....the trade of him to the Browns netted them the HOFer Bobby Mitchell in return

1961  David  Deacon Jones over Tommy Mason

In 1992...to be fair,  there were really no HOF players that came out of that draft.   The best were a couple of DBs  Darren Woodson and Troy Vincent. 

In 2006  they picked Mario Williams...who was just OK.  The best players in that draft were a couple of borderline HOF  Offensive linemen:   Jahri Evans and Andrew Whitworth. 

In 1974  they could have perhaps chosen Mike Webster over Lambert.   

In 2009,  while  Stafford has not been a winner, he has been productive,  and really no one else out of that draft  has proven any better.