THE BROWNS BOARD

First, Second or Third round DTs?

The Gipper

What do any of you  think of these names as possible picks for the Browns  in the second or third round  at Defensive Tackle  (assuming they don't take one in round one):

Alim McNeili    NC St.

Milton Williams   La Tech

Jaylen Twyman  Pitt

Tommy Togiai   Ohio St.  

All I really know about their skills is that Togiai  was a monster bench presser.

And with the Release of Sheldon Richardson, I guess we should also be thinking about a possible  First rounder.  Who there? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What do any of you  think of these names as possible picks for the Browns  in the second or third round  at Defensive Tackle  (assuming they don't take one in round one):

Alim McNeili    NC St.

Jaylen Twyman  Pitt

Tommy Togiai   Ohio St.  

All I really know about their skills is that Togiai  was a monster bench presser 

Great list.  I think we find a guy or two guys between the 2nd and 4th round. 

Twyman was an opt out and he was thought of as a 1st/2nd round guy coming into last season.  I watch Pitt games.  Kind of undersized but He rag dolls Olineman very good hands and punch.  I think he’s 3rd/4th round guy.

Williams is a sleeper too.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Mcneil.  

Potentially at 26...

Round 3 I really like Tuipulotu's value.

7th/UDFA? Purdue's Neal looks to be worth a flyer.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Potentially at 26...

Round 3 I really like Tuipulotu's value.

7th/UDFA? Purdue's Neal looks to be worth a flyer.

At 26? Can't follow you that far, but the same oversight scouts threw at Gregg Gaines, Poona Ford & Bravvion Roy sound similar to what I hear about Alim.

Even more funny is that the 3 mid to late round examples I gave all played in similar defensive front structures.  Ford, Roy and McNeil especially.

Will put Tui on the mid round watch list though.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

At 26? Can't follow you that far

Agree... the value isn't quite there at 26, but if we got stuck there, then he just might be the best use of the pick.

After our FA haul, the more I look at how R1 likely develops, the more I see a trade down in the offing... but for that you need a reasonably motivated partner.

I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised at how the defenders slip in this draft.

Lots of QBs and lots of QB needy teams, you have WRs, you have Olineman.  And then the draft is always good for 2 or 3 first round head scratchers.

Pretty soon you have guys like Parsons, Paye, maybe a top Corner slipping to our pick.  

We aren’t  used to waiting this long Browns Fans but we can be patient and probably still get our guy or have a choices with a couple guys.

where it gets interesting...we may have a couple guys in mind with high grades we take one and then we come up and take the other. I think we need a corner and a front 7 guy in this draft that can play meaningful snaps. 

We have 2,3,3,4,4 kind of ammunition to make a move. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

After our FA haul, the more I look at how R1 likely develops, the more I see a trade down in the offing... but for that you need a reasonably motivated partner.

The drafts in Cleveland...I've been to 3... our fans wood 💩  💩 splinters.... 🤓

anywho? could

Send a 15 million dollar message?... A Top 5 WR will be there... Two... I may even take before Barmore?

To Those that have plans to attend the draft ? ... DON"T* miss night ONE ! ...... 👍 (surrounding states will attend)

for little old me....I can't get off work for both... walking my Findlay, Ohio little lady down the aisle on May 15th 👰....(she did it right...He's* a huge Browns Fan & great gent)

Have a blast at the draft 🍺 ! ! (I'll be missing this one, Big Time ! ) Big Screen ready...🍿

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Alim McNeili    NC St.

Jaylen Twyman  Pitt

Tommy Togiai   Ohio St.  

All I really know about their skills is that Togiai  was a monster bench presser 

McNeil is huge and athletic....and Onwuzurike impresses me.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-interior-defensive-line-rankings#:~:text=2021 NFL Draft interior defensive line rankings. 1.,State. 4. Levi Onwuzurike%2C Washington. 5. Tyler

12 hours ago, The Gipper said:

With the Release of Richardson...I am going to change the title of the thread to include  First Round  DTs. 

So?  What names should we be looking at here in round one? 

Barmore. 

Anyone else?  Or just the name listed above by various commentators? 

I'd be shocked to grab a DT in the first round unless someone dropped who we adore. I think it's CB all the way (maybe Edge) with DT in the second round. 

Both Clowney and Garrett can play inside if need be and with Billings set to return, we're thin at DT but not emaciated. We also signed Malik Jackson (I think), so that's probably our other starter. We've got Garrett, Malik Jackson, Billings, and Clowney starting, with a few others on the roster. What we really need is an explosive DT who gets pressure. I'm rather shocked we didn't keep Ogunjobi or Sheldon, but whatever. I'll especially pissed at letting Sheldon walk, regardless of cost. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Still not convinced we take IDL in the 1st either.

I don't see it either.

Besides everyone knows we are taking Browning in the 1st... :D

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

This ain't madden.  You guys need to stop suggesting our edge players at IDL.    

Several analysts have said it. They won't play a ton inside, but they absolutely both inside during a game. (Clowney and Garrett) 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

This ain't madden.  You guys need to stop suggesting our edge players at IDL.    

Me either. 

Not many DTs that seem to fit the bill as a late first rounder. Could see the Browns double up on them later on though. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Me either. 

Not many DTs that seem to fit the bill as a late first rounder. Could see the Browns double up on them later on though. 

I can see us taking decent DT's 2nd and 3rd rounds if we go CB or WR in the 1st. Playing moneyball again we might jump up to get one of those 3 top WRs and release/trade OBJ who seems to not be so crucial as we all had expected. We did better without him.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I can see us taking decent DT's 2nd and 3rd rounds if we go CB or WR in the 1st. Playing moneyball again we might jump up to get one of those 3 top WRs and release/trade OBJ who seems to not be so crucial as we all had expected. We did better without him.

I really like WR Rashod Bateman from Minnesota, if they went this way. 

On 4/16/2021 at 7:01 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Bobby Brown III in later rounds 5 or 6. Nothing to lose and everything to gain if he is still there. Power DT run stuffer.

Not been the same player since Whitney Houston passed away ....

On 4/15/2021 at 8:19 PM, The Gipper said:

Alim McNeili    NC St.

Jaylen Twyman  Pitt

Tommy Togiai   Ohio St.  

All I really know about their skills is that Togiai  was a monster bench presser.

And with the Release of Sheldon Richardson, I guess we should also be thinking about a possible  First rounder.  Who there? 

Looks good!

Here's some stuff I put in another thread that may be relevant.

Here's the top 5 DT prospects from Athlon's Draft Guide :

1. Daviyon Nixon - Iowa - 6'2" 305 lbs  Jr - (2020 stats) 13.5 TFL 5.5 sacks 1 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round

2. Christian Barmore - Alabama - 6'5" 310 lbs So - (2020 stats) 9.5 TFL 8 sacks  6 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round

3. Jaylen Twyman - Pittsburgh - 6'2" 295 lbs Jr - (2020 stats) 10.5 TFL 10.5 sacks 2 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round. 

4. Jay Tufele - USC - 6'3" 310 lbs Jr - (2020 stats) 6.5 TFL  4.5 sacks 1 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round

5. Levi Onwuzurike - Washington - 6'3" 295 lbs Sr - (2020 stats) 6 TFL 2 sacks 0 QBH - Final Grade: 1st/2nd round

Here's the top 5 DT prospects from Lindy's Draft Guide.

1. Daviyon Nixon - Iowa - 6'3" 305 lbs  Jr - 40 time 4.95 - Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year. Listed as the Pass Rush Proto-type for the DT position stating: "Nixon fires off the snap like he's been shot out of a cannon, exhibiting rare flexibility to slither through gaps and close on the QB."  Final Grade: 1st round

2. Christian Barmore - Alabama - 6'5" 310 lbs So - 40 time 4.94 - Listed as the DT  Prototype for Run Defense stating "The broad-shouldered Barmore is built like a barn door and possesses the raw strength and length to corral ballcarriers." Final Grade: 1st round

3. Marvin Wilson - Florida State - 6'4" 305 lbs Sr - 40 time 4.95 - Extremely agile with tremendous strength and ability to fire off the snap. Uses cinder block hands to break the grips of would-be blockers. Knocked down 4 passes as a junior in just 9 games and blocked 3 kicks as a senior.  Writer gives him a comparison to the Eagles Fletcher Cox which is high praise especially if that's accurate.   - Final Grade: 2nd round. 

4. Khyiris  Tonga - BYU - 6'3" 340 lbs Sr - 40 time 5.25.  Very powerful player that played NG.  Shows great quickness for a guy his size and will face a lot of double teams in the trenches. Listed as the Prototype for Intangibles with the following endorsement: "Overshadowed by QB Zach Wison, Tonga was the Cougars' unquestioned star on defense and stayed true to his commitment to Head Coach Kilane Sitake, following him from Utah to rival BYU."  Final Grade: 2nd round

5. Levi Onwuzurike - Washington - 6'3" 295 lbs Sr - 40 time 4.96. Listed as DT Prototype for Tackling with this description: "A sleeper of sorts in this class after opting out of  of the 2020 season. He recorded an impressive 45 stops in 2019 , showing terrific quickness, balance and the long arms to lasso ballcarriers." - Final Grade: 2nd/3rd round

It doesn't look like there's a Big Sexy that will attract upper/mid 1st round interest here; while the Browns don't pick until #26 overall...  Looks to me like we can still add a DT and LB with our 1st 2 picks. My guess is LB in round 1 and DT in round 2.

14 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Several analysts have said it. They won't play a ton inside, but they absolutely both inside during a game. (Clowney and Garrett) 

I'm sure several analysts have said a lot.   I can think of a few more "exotic" looks we might deploy against the Ravens and their expansive run game structures.  Beyond that? You won't see Myles on the interior barring obvious down and distance passing situations.   Or any of our edge players for that matter.

56 minutes ago, Flugel said:

1. Daviyon Nixon - Iowa - 6'3" 305 lbs  Jr - 40 time 4.95 - Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year. Listed as the Pass Rush Proto-type for the DT position stating: "Nixon fires off the snap like he's been shot out of a cannon, exhibiting rare flexibility to slither through gaps and close on the QB."  Final Grade: 1st round

Athlon and I are going to have a real disagreement here.    Because I watched the Iowa State and Sparty games and that was about the complete opposite of what I saw.  Also, if Nixon is 305 then I'm a god damn china-man.   ( @Dutch Oven, a little movie line there I snuck in)  

edit: directed in general - wouldn't be surprised to see the Browns go 2 IDL in the first 4 rounds or so.   I don't believe Sheldon Day makes the active roster.

• Haha 1