THE BROWNS BOARD

DR. SEUSS CANCELED

Vambo

she won't say because Dr. Seuss was not perverted, obscene, anti-family and not anti-God.

Now they can replace that book with one that  IS and is pro - perversion, pro-globalism, pro-marxist/communist  and pro-race war

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, D Bone said:

There can't be anyone on this board who is happy about this.

Careful what you wish for..................

I don’t think there is. Most of the comments here seem to be “this is stupid” but l’m not sure l’ve read on here why this is a big deal, so l’ll give it a shot.

There’s a thing called the literary cannon. The “cannon” is basically a list of books that are commonly read within a culture. These are books most everyone has heard of and many people have read. Lord of the Flies, the Great Gatsby, Scarlet Letter, Catcher in the Rye, etc. I would vehemently argue that Dr. Seuss books are a part of our literary cannon.

The last time l recall censorship threatening our literary cannon it was conservatives who took exception to depictions of adultery in the Scarlet Letter and the word “fuck” in Catcher in the Rye. The reason we include books with such things in the cannon is so we can have serious conversations with our young people that prepare them for adulthood.

Why is the cannon important? Well it’s part of the ties that bind within a society. It’s a set of shared experiences over generations that we all share. A 60 year old and a 20 year old could reasonably have a conversation about the perils of mob mentality using the Lord of the Flies as a reference point. 

The cannon will organically change over time as new books get phased in and older books get phased out, but any wholesale and sudden changes threatens this commonality that we share by creating a gap between our younger and older generations. I hope that made sense.

• Thanks 1

There will always be crackpots in the world who love to get attention by shocking and offending the status quo. I am sure they exist on both sides of the aisle but it seems the liberal media is more willing To air the grievances of the lunatic left. Unfortunately these voices of insanity have the ear of the president's staff who feeds him the shit on a daily basis. He is so beholden to BLM that he makes decisions like this. I doubt he has any idea what they are talking about but somebody put in front of him. I think you guys are aware of my lack of respect for Biden but I can't imagine he would actually tell you that doctor Seuss was racist if you asked him personally without prompting from his handlers, maybe I'm wrong.

It does puzzle me who in their right mind would have thought this is a good idea though.

WSS 

Well, it seems to be the same negative attention leftwing power advocates

who FEEL that they need to be allowed to enforce mask wearing again and again...

to combat goober warning/mmgw. Anything they can use as an excuse for more power to own us and control everything we do...is a  "scientific" excuse.

they are also talking now about ordering mask wearing... every flu season.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/lockdown-co2-emissions-paris-biden

Researchers say lockdown led to historic decrease in CO2 emissions — but the equivalent of a lockdown every 2 years is needed

News

The U.S. rejoined the Paris climate agreement under President Joe Biden

5 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

FWIW l’m curious to get ahold of one of these 5 Seuss books to see what all the fuss is about.

I found this on an NBC news feed:

“In Dr. Seuss’ books, we have a kind of sensibility which is oriented toward centering the white child and decentering everyone else,” said Ebony Thomas, a professor of children’s and young adult literature at the University of Pennsylvania. She is the author of “The Dark Fantastic: Race and the Imagination from Harry Potter to the Hunger Games.”

“Dr. Seuss was shaped by a completely immersive white supremacist culture," Thomas said. "Even during that time, our ancestors and elders were protesting racist works and producing alternative stories for our children. How do we decide what endures and what doesn’t endure? It’s our responsibility to decide what kind of books to put in front of kids.”

The debate is a complicated one because it must tackle the fortitude of classic books while reckoning with the place of such stories in a world of diverse readers.

A 2019 survey of Seuss’ works found that just 2 percent of human characters were people of color — 98 percent were white. Portrayal of and references to Black characters relied heavily on anti-Blackness and images of white superiority, the study found.

In “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” a white man is shown using a whip on a man of color. In “If I Ran the Zoo,” a white boy holds a large gun while standing on the heads of three Asian men. “If I Ran the Zoo” also features two men from Africa who are shirtless, shoeless and wearing grass skirts while holding an exotic animal.

While Seuss’ body of work has been called “dehumanizing and degrading” to Black, Indigenous, Jewish and Muslim people, and people of color, according to the survey, he is praised for promoting universal values in children. Then-President Barack Obama lauded the author in 2016, saying, "Theodor Seuss Geisel — or Dr. Seuss — used his incredible talent to instill in his most impressionable readers universal values we all hold dear."

The books that will no longer be published are: “If I Ran the Zoo,” “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” "McElligot’s Pool," "On Beyond Zebra!," "Scrambled Eggs Super!," and "The Cat’s Quizzer." The business said it came to the decision last year after months of discussion and hailed the move as “part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises' catalog represents and supports all communities and families.”

“I absolutely think this is a commitment to a better, more just, and inclusive world of children’s literature,” Ann Neely, professor of children’s literature at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, said. “We have so many outstanding books for children today; there is no need to continue to publish books that are now inappropriate. We must evaluate books for children by today’s values, not on our own nostalgia. Children need to see themselves, and others who may be different from them, in an accurate and positive way.”

Seuss’ books have come under scrutiny in recent years.

In 2017, a Massachusetts school librarian rejected Seuss books from then-first lady Melania Trump saying they were “steeped in racist propaganda.” That same year, a Seuss museum in Massachusetts vowed to replace a mural that featured images from “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street.” A 2019 book titled “Was The Cat In the Hat Black?” argues that “The Cat In The Hat” was based on anti-Black stereotypes and blackface minstrel shows.

• Thanks 1

which means nothing, woodpecker ibb.

eBay scraps 'canceled' Dr. Seuss books from site

https://nypost.com/2021/03/04/ebay-appears-to...

4 hours ago · EBay appears to have prohibited resellers from hawking some Dr. Seuss books. AP “You can sell Mein Kampf on eBay but not one for the 6 newly “forbidden” Dr. Seuss books,” tweeted one .

Ebay BANS people from reselling six 'offensive' Dr Seuss ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9326645/...

23 hours ago · Outraged Americans are demanding to know why eBay has banned them from reselling the six 'offensive' Dr Seuss books that are being canceled when copies of …

eBay removing all listings of six canceled Dr. Seuss books

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ebay-dr...

5 hours ago · Seuss Enterprises announced its decision to stop publishing six Dr. Seuss books on Tuesday, which would have been the late author's 117th birthday, writing in …

47 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

it means nothing to the original OP, woodpecker.

It was in response to your ebay point red footed booby cal. They are taking their sweet time getting rid of the books, and look at those prices! I betcha these books were worth $10 max last week. These were taken about an hour apart. $250! Now is the time to sell.

85D1DB1A-386B-4C35-9F53-D6CEC7D2D965.jpeg

DD40A253-CD69-4D35-A751-0030B1DCC672.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

It was in response to your ebay point red footed booby cal. They are taking their sweet time getting rid of the books, and look at those prices! I betcha these books were worth $10 max last week. These were taken about an hour apart. $250! Now is the time to sell.

the adults in the forum were talking about banned books.

not all books, you can't keep up, that is why I guess you are woody woodpecker.

27 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the adults in the forum were talking about banned books.

not all books, you can't keep up, that is why I guess you are woody woodpecker.

“If l Ran the Zoo” IS one of the “banned” books Chinese nuthatch. Why else do you think they’re fetching $250 on ebay? It’s because those suckers think they have a tiny window of time to get it, haha. 

And you know ebay is getting their cut. The irony...

How much they increased in demand is not the point of the thread.

you can never keep to the point, beaknose.

I really do believe you are woody. same stupid mo, but more verbose.

asswhole.

18 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the others aren't. How much they increased in demand is not the point of the thread.

you can never keep to the point, beaknose.

I really do believe you are woody. same stupid mo, but more verbose.

asswhole.

I was following your lead with the articles you posted about these books getting banned on ebay. I’m expanding what you posted with real time ebay auctions for these books. Here’s another. Up to $280 now. Get ‘em while they’re hot! Limited time only!

These are the real life implications of “banning” books. It increases their value. 

And the bird repartee was fun but you’re now emotionally knee jerking with the insults again so l’ll cut it out. It’s nothing to get upset about. I’m just helping you with the articles you posted about ebay.

72D20C3F-59A7-4E79-B563-57C822B4785C.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I was following your lead with the articles you posted about these books getting banned on ebay. I’m expanding what you posted with real time ebay auctions for these books. Here’s another. Up to $280 now. Get ‘em while they’re hot! Limited time only!

These are the real life implications of “banning” books. It increases their value. 

And the bird repartee was fun but you’re now emotionally knee jerking with the insults again so l’ll cut it out. It’s nothing to get upset about. I’m just helping you with the articles you posted about ebay.

72D20C3F-59A7-4E79-B563-57C822B4785C.jpeg

image.thumb.png.7b981a543f6a729f2404e4a628ed6d20.png

• Haha 2