THE BROWNS BOARD

What/Who are you currently listening to?

tiamat63

On 6/21/2024 at 1:13 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

The Psychedelic Furs continue to tour. Mars Williams, their longtime sax/clarinet player kicked it last year. RIP Mars. Richard Butler still has the most iconic voice in rock n roll. I’ll fight you on that. Get it while you can.

You got me flashing back to college with these guys. I'll pop a couple Furs tunes in here for yuz.

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

You got me flashing back to college with these guys. I'll pop a couple Furs tunes in here for yuz.

That second song was from the album “Forever Now”. That one was a game changer for teenage me. This was the song that really pickled my pigsfeet.

They put out a new album in the summer of 2020. It’s actually pretty good, but shit timing for touring purposes. They’ve been relentlessly touring since then. 

They’re worth seeing. I’m quite aware that some acts lose it as they age. They’re not one of ‘em.

• Like 1

An unapologetic Yanni fan here. Having been to the Taj ourselves, I selected this one.. The 4 spires are leaned out at 2-3 degrees because they are in an earthquake zone. Also, there is an incomplete black marble Taj across the river behind the white one that no one talks about,,

Now if you want to watch these or any other youtubes /wo commercial interruption do this..

In the address bar where you see "www.youtube.com/watch" just make this simple alteration to www.yout-ube.com/watch, and hit enter. It will take your video to full screen and it will play devoid of ads.. Yer welcome ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw these guys last weekend in Tampa.. Despite being a total cover band at this point they were still the best of the night.. John Waite opened and Styx headlined,,

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been reading a book about James Calvin Wilsey, a largely unknown dude whose biggest claim to fame was writing the lead guitar part on Chris Isaac’s “Wicked Game”, which was a significant part of making that song a blockbuster that was plastered all over radio and MTV. 

But before that, he was the bass player for the Avengers, arguably the best bay area punk band from the 70s and pretty much why l bought the book. Say what you will about SF, but that tiny 7 square mile city has cranked out some magnificent rock n roll over the years. This is largely considered the Avengers’ Magnus opus. 

IMG_1680.jpeg

I'm intrigued - Randy Travis had a bad stroke a few years? ago.

But with AI, they created a song using his voice.

If you have ever heard any of his songs - a few are favorites on my guitar....

check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1484631675775574

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

from 1986-87 ... a medley version favorite  that played on King Biscuit Flower hour back then,  and now on 

a bootleggish video 

for Mik - 

So you’re a Genesis guy? I’ve heard you people exist. I hung with all 20 minutes and it was fantastic. Whoever twisted the knobs to get the mix right nailed it. 

Collins’ “No Jacket Required” is a masterpiece imo, and Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” helped me get laid at least twice, but l’ve never really delved much into Genesis. Where do you suggest l start?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

So you’re a Genesis guy? I’ve heard you people exist. I hung with all 20 minutes and it was fantastic. Whoever twisted the knobs to get the mix right nailed it. 

Collins’ “No Jacket Required” is a masterpiece imo, and Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” helped me get laid at least twice, but l’ve never really delved much into Genesis. Where do you suggest l start?

i guess there are so many to suggest - check out the concert DVDs where they typically play their "old stuff" as well as the radio played songs. My first listen was Trick of the Tail album in 1976 when my drummer friend from HS came over with it to share his thoughts on the time signature changes and specifically the drumming. He sold me!  

fast forward to today original guitar player Steve Hackett is still out there playing alot of the groups older stuff - and I think keyboardest Tony Banks is an incredibly underrated composer writer and performer.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

i guess there are so many to suggest - check out the concert DVDs where they typically play their "old stuff" as well as the radio played songs. My first listen was Trick of the Tail album in 1976 when my drummer friend from HS came over with it to share his thoughts on the time signature changes and specifically the drumming. He sold me!  

fast forward to today original guitar player Steve Hackett is still out there playing alot of the groups older stuff - and I think keyboardest Tony Banks is an incredibly underrated composer writer and performer.  

Ooh, l have it on vinyl! A byproduct of buying too many darn records in my younger years that l still haven’t listened to. Scale for scale.

I fired it up last night front to back, it was a great listen. They have a real suddenness to their songs, tempo changes and melodies that come outta nowhere and hook ya. Thanks for the rec. I’m going to start making my way through more of their catalog.

IMG_1798.jpeg

This is entirely Fairhooker’s fault. I’ve been on a full on Genesis/Phil Collins bender. This is the barnburner from “No Jacket Required”. 

The chorus consistently has me reaching for my air guitar. That big dirty chord after “Billy!” gets me every time. 

nothing is better than vinyl imo - over cassette tape or cd's

But I liked his "Serious Hits" live dvd  - because i loved watching all the performers on stage 

playing that great music.  (Those horns!)

I know what you mean about bender  - I would stop and watch / listen to a favorite from the past on you tube or something 

kinda like it used to be on tv? stopping what i was doing to watch a Clint Eastwood film that just "happened" to be on  

• Upvote 1