THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Roster Moves 2021

Vambo

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

We are tendering TE Carlson and DE Gustin though.

Done... https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-place-tender-on-2-exclusive-rights-free-agents

Thought Gustin would get one, but Carlson surprises me. Must have made his bones on STs.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, Tour2ma said:

Done... https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-place-tender-on-2-exclusive-rights-free-agents

Thought Gustin would get one, but Carlson surprises me. Must have made his bones on STs.

Carlson and Gustin are no brainers for me.

Re: Carlson- has played well when he’s had the opportunity.  He had a huge onside kick recovery.  We also need TEs with our offensive scheme. I can’t see Njoku being a long term option and maybe not a short term either 

More than a cup of coffee .. Blake Hance is back... https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/3/8/22320153/cleveland-browns-reportedly-re-sign-blake-hance

fairly solid 

LT - Wills, A.Taylor

LG - Bitonio, Hance

C - Tretter, Harris

RG - Teller, Forbes

RT - Conklin, Hubbard

Michael Dunn (ERFA) should be re-signed as well.

The Clayborn release caught me by surprise.

On 3/8/2021 at 8:28 PM, gumby73 said:

LT - Wills, A.Taylor

LG - Bitonio, Hance

C - Tretter, Harris

RG - Teller, Forbes

RT - Conklin, Hubbard

I think the "under contract" count is actually 14 now... with 2 of the additional OL being Lamm and Dunn, who both may be 2nd-teamers ahead of Taylor and Hance respectively.

Rostering even 10 OL would be a luxury... especially with Hubbard who we know can play inside or out, in the mix.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:28 PM, gumby73 said:

More than a cup of coffee .. Blake Hance is back... https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/3/8/22320153/cleveland-browns-reportedly-re-sign-blake-hance

fairly solid 

LT - Wills, A.Taylor

LG - Bitonio, Hance

C - Tretter, Harris

RG - Teller, Forbes

RT - Conklin, Hubbard

Michael Dunn (ERFA) should be re-signed as well.

Will we keep all these guys 

Berry has some work to do before Wednesday.. I did see that Kendall Lamm is a UFA.. WR- Khadarel Hodge is a RFA..He needs a draft round tender..(more cap money)

We have 3 remaining ERFA's in OL-Michael Dunn/Colby Gossett & LB- George Obinna.. They become Unrestricted if not picked up on by Wednesday..

My eyeballs bleed this morning seeing Ogun has a 9.3M market value from spotrac.. His name has not been seen in a top 150 of free agents 🤫 

On 3/10/2021 at 4:44 PM, The Gipper said:

Will we keep all these guys 

I think Callahan see's workable in Alex Taylor.. Been moved off & on our PS.. Callahan might have seen a "bad knee" Drew Forbes in Camp last season?.. Both will need a solid Camp & both could be upgraded.."In Callahan I Trust"

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Tendered KhaDarel Hodge - Salary would be 2.3/1yr.  Seems decent value.

$2.3? What level is that?

I ask because it doesn't match any of the figures OTC lists... https://overthecap.com/a-quick-primer-on-nfl-free-agent-tenders/

6 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

That's what happens when you don't check the primary source material... Yep, 2.13 - the DBN article is inaccurate

Thanks... so is the basic, right-of-first-refusal tender.

Browns TE David Njoku’s $6.013 million fifth-year option tender for 2021 is now guaranteed

Updated Mar 17, 2021; Posted Mar 17, 2021

The meme was a nod to the fact that Njoku’s fifth-year option tender for 2021 worth $6.013 million became guaranteed at that moment, when the NFL league year opened. He was also still a member of the Browns, which wasn’t a lock heading into the negotiating period.

The No. 29 overall pick of the Browns in 2017, Njoku had indicated last month that he still might like to be traded, but there wasn’t much of a market for a $6 million tight end who caught only 19 passes and two TDs in 2020.

Njoku declines to say if he wants to be back with the Browns this season

The Browns can still trade him at some point before the deadline in November, but it appears he’ll be on the roster in 2021 and making a boatload of money.

Rather sad ordeal going on here... image.jpeg.057dc5ad104e6329574ccbfed7fb470a.jpeg   image.jpeg.47f8229e48461023af5ead48d34777b9.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31106704/infant-son-cleveland-browns-wr-ryan-switzer-back-hospital   Life>sports

Living in Tarheel Land...Ryan & Gabie Switzer need your prayers 🙏.. and We are praying for you Christian 💞

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

this nice, little article

Sometime in the next 2,3yrs our roster is going to have [paradoxically] less veteran presence.. when the top guys are getting [slightly] larger contracts, more of the rest of the roster will have to be on rookie contracts to make cap.  2021 is Mayfield's last season on rookie contract so we're going to see some of this in 2022.. It won't be too much of an effect because Mayfield's charge for 2021 is 11M.  Same, of course, with Ward - his 2021 is 9.5; and Chubb - his 2021 is 4.3.

It's important to note that the future contracts of those are .. not the same as the 2021.  Format: 2021 // 2022

Clowney 3,870,588 // 3,600,000 dead because it's a one-year deal per everyone
Takk 2,500,000 // UFA
Johnson 3,600,000 // 7,750,000 // 13,500,000 -> Note that 2023 is guaranteed as well; 12M is the dead hit that year
Hill 1,875,000 // 5,375,000
Jackson 1,841,544 // 1,893,750 [Only one that's the same]

Salary jumps 11.25M with only Johnson/Hill/Jackson on the roster for 2022.. and that's not including any of QB/RB/RG/CB.

Here's guessing the 5th year options get exercised for Ward and Mayfield. Note that whenever the 5th year option is exercised, the 4th year moves to 100% guaranteed.  5th year option projections for each player eligible in 2021. Mayfield moves from 10.5 to 18.858; Ward moves from 9.5 to 13.294.  Note that then the 2023 would be the "new" contract for those two; RG and RB are up for renewal after the upcoming 2021 season.

If cap goes from 182.5 to 205 in 2022, the 11.25/QB/CB would eat up that increase.. because we have 100k of rollover next season as of today.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I imagine they will cut the othe rkicker, but neither are going to beat out Parkay.

Zombo

To me, this is a head scratcher. McCrane (who was cut) had far more impressive stats than this guy. Oh well, they know more than I, so....Canton Mike

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes stats don't tell the story.  McCrane got a long look.  It seems evident to me the coaching staff didn't see him pushing Parkey, so bring in another camp leg.

I keep reading stories about this or that UFA... plus Julio... still out there and how we should add one or more using our available cap room.

I could not disagree more.

I love going into the season with cap space so we can add an impact player on the fly should injury... or an unexpected lack of productivity in a given position room... dictate the need to do so via trade.

And if the need never materializes in 2021? Then roll that cap pad as far down the line as possible.

• 1 month later...
  • Zombo unpinned this topic