THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Line

Orion

On 12/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Any former offensive lineman on this board???  It seems like RB, WR, CB types would have the hardest time with High Ankle sprains. Quick burst positions.  But it’s not a fun injury overall for anyone.  

Trapping and pulling require healthy ankles; and Teller was good at both.  Pass pro can demand some lateral movement that can make it difficult on a flimsy ankle.  Also keep in mind, the Browns are heading back to the turf in the Meadowlands this weekend that some speculated led to some serious (and possibly avoidable) injuries that a grass surface may not have caused. 

Cook looked like he did a solid job last week to the extent I'm guessing we will be running the ball to the right more often than we did last week. I think he's been learning backup Center and Guard roles so now he can just focus more on RG and get an entire week of prep with the game plans. My guess is the play calling was cognizant of this.  FWIW, the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them.  Williams was actually drafted by the Jets and the Giants are tapping his talent IMO.  

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

the Giants have a very good defensive front against the run .Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence are both 1st round draft picks playing extremely well for them. 

Exactly.  They throttled our run.  Fortunately we still were able to move the ball.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous. 

The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham. 

Yes.   As you may know, both KR and  Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went.   I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB  for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also  when Larry Csonka played for Stow.   He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle. 

• Upvote 1

The article I read this morning said Teller wasn't practicing, but wasn't ruled out just yet. We'll see, but I'm guessing we want to make sure he's healthy for next week. Sendejo is actually back, and I couldn't be happier. Malcom Smith isn't practicing and that makes me very nervous. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Yes.   As you may know, both KR and  Ravenna were in the same conference as Norton where I went.   I had a bit of an older friend who played either DL or LB  for Norton at the time Nottingham played for Ravenna...and also  when Larry Csonka played for Stow.   He said that Csonka was a cream puff compared to Nottingham to try to tackle. 

Larry was a big charging angry buffalo.

Larry Csonka was 6'3" - I knew his sister Nancy.

Don Nottingham - no highlight video of him -

but he was "the Bowling Ball" but was only 5'10", harder to get a hold of, and was only 210 lbs. But he was stocky, and

powerful, no fear, like a rocky mountain goat violently headbashing with another rocky mountain goat.

He caught passes out of the backfield, and also -returned kicks-.

https://www.nfl.com/players/don-nottingham/stats/career

I did find this video of him, though - he ended up with hearing loss from all the collisions....

the roosevelt and ravenna teams back then - I remember one of them had some super star guy who could return kicks, wr? and

nobody could ever catch him. Everybody knew his name back then. I don't remember it now. lol

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

the roosevelt and ravenna teams back then - I remember one of them had some super star guy who could return kicks, wr? and

nobody could ever catch him. Everybody knew his name back then. I don't remember it now. lol

There was Tom Campana  who went to OSU...but did not quite make in in the NFL...but did play in the CFL...but I think his Dad played like 4 years for the Bears.  Stan White....OSU/Colts  . Stan Boykin, OSU may not have played in NFL, but did ....and there have been many Boykins that went there...in fact  I see 7 Boykins that played in the NFL.  At least half of them may have gone to Kent Roosevelt.      Tom DeLeone was on that team.  OSU/Browns.   

Mike Adamle was just a year ahead of that Quartet.

• Upvote 1

The 1966 Kent Roosevelt-Ravenna classic had everything: High stakes, high drama and a star-studded collection of talent on both sides unmatched in the rivalry’s rich history. An astonishing total of six future NFL draft picks took the field at Bowers Field in Kent for that now-infamous contest between two undefeated teams with the Metro League championship on the line......

The powerful Ravens were led by big, rugged senior running back Don Nottingham and coached by Nunzio “Foot” Polichene, who was in his first year after taking over from legendary Ravenna mentor Harry Gilcrest. Nottingham would go on to star at Kent State University and play in the NFL with the Baltimore Colts and Miami Dolphins, winning the Super Bowl with Miami in the 1973 season......

An astounding five players from that 1966 Kent Roosevelt team went on to become NFL draft picks, including all three running backs in senior Mike Adamle and juniors Jerry Brown and Tom Campana Jr.

Adamle starred at Northwestern University and played in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears. Brown also played at Northwestern and was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers before going on to a distinguished coaching career which continues to this day (Brown currently serves as the assistant head coach at Northwestern). Campana Jr., meanwhile, was a standout for Woody Hayes at Ohio State and was drafted by the NFL’s St. Louis Cardinals before embarking on a successful career with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League.

The 1966 Rough Riders also featured junior center Tom DeLeone and junior linebacker Stan White, both of whom later starred at Ohio State with the younger Campana. Both DeLeone and White went on to outstanding NFL careers, DeLeone as a center for the Cleveland Browns and White as a linebacker with the Colts and Detroit Lions.

Note:  I believe that  Mike Adamle's Dad, Tony,  was the Browns official team physician for many years. 

Adamle on a 1951 football card
No. 74, 54
Position: Linebacker, Fullback
Personal information
Born: May 15, 1924
Fairmont, West Virginia
Died: October 7, 2000 (aged 76)
Kent, Ohio
Career information
College: Ohio State University
NFL Draft: 1947 / Round: 12 / Pick: 105
(By the Chicago Bears)
Career history
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Games: 75
Rushing Yards: 255
Touchdowns: 2
Interceptions: 7
Fumbles recovered: 6

A picture of Tony Adamle in uniform on a 1951 Bowman football card

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I had some dealings with some other members of Larry Csonka's family.  Perhaps a nephew/cousin.  Let's put it this way:   they were basically scumbags,  thieves, that thought because the uncle/cousin  had been an NFL player that it gave them carte blanche to screw people over. 

I didn't know that - but Nancy was a sweetheart - in hs. Larry was some years ahead of me, he was well liked.

40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

There was Tom Campana  who went to OSU...but did not quite make in in the NFL...but did play in the CFL...but I think his Dad played like 4 years for the Bears.  Stan White....OSU/Colts  . Stan Boykin, OSU may not have played in NFL, but did ....and there have been many Boykins that went there...in fact  I see 7 Boykins that played in the NFL.  At least half of them may have gone to Kent Roosevelt.      Tom DeLeone was on that team.  OSU/Browns.   

Mike Adamle was just a year ahead of that Quartet.

Campana, I think that was him. Blazing fast. The Boykins were a succession of terrific hs players.

• Upvote 1

but getting back to the offensive line.....

When Harris went in for Hubbard, I didn't expect him to play terrific. I figured things would go wrong.

I was wrong. He's very, very smart - and can PLAY:

https://www.brownsnation.com/who-is-nick-harris/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

When Harris went in for Hubbard, I didn't expect him to play terrific. I figured things would go wrong.

I think some really underestimated how very excellent Bill Callahan is as an OL coach. We should not have been surprised that Harris was very prepared to just step right in when the need was there. There is a reason our OL as a whole has become one of the very best in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Now that our Oline is set for the next couple years it is great to hit on a 3rd day of the draft  depth piece that we can develop the next couple years and maybe groom to take over in 2022.  I hope we can do it again in 2021. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Stan Boykin, OSU may not have played in NFL, but did ....and there have been many Boykins that went there...in fact  I see 7 Boykins that played in the NFL.  At least half of them may have gone to Kent Roosevelt.     

The story I heard about the Boykins - and there always seemed to be a Boykin every year playing football at Roosevelt for generations - was that the family actually started out in Ravenna, but someone from the city of Kent "reached out" to some family members with "city jobs" and the family moved over to Kent. I think the Boykins are related to the Sanders family in Ravenna, which produced most likely the best Ravenna player since Nottingham - Marcus Sanders. He had 81 touchdowns in his high school career and rushed for 7,002 yards from '96-99. 

Meanwhile back at the thread...

Nice little article...

Here's to fat-assses everywhere.

==============================================================================================================================================

Browns O-line doesn't seek praise but has full appreciation of those closest to it

The big men up front have been the foundation for the Browns’ dominance in both the run game and passing attack 

Dec 23, 2020 at 05:34 PM     Anthony Poisal  Digital Media Contributor

The Browns' 2020 offense has put itself in the company of one of the best units the franchise has ever assembled.

Cleveland's 152 rushing yards per game is the most by a Browns team since 1978. The team's 43 scrimmage touchdowns are already tied for sixth-most in franchise history, and the 368 total points this year are seventh-most by a Browns team.

Those numbers are a credit to the run game and passing attack, which have battered defenses over the course of the Browns 10-win season and recent 5-1 stretch.

But both of those units owe a large chunk of their success to a group that's easy to overlook on a winning football team: the offensive line.

No Browns position group arguably has been more consistent than the five big men up front. They've ascended into one of the top-ranked offensive lines in the NFL, and their ability to protect the pocket and steamroll through any defensive line has been the true backbone behind the Browns' offensive success.

"They are always on point when it comes to everything," offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said last week. "They are always prepared. That is a group of guys up front I am really proud of."

Coaches and players have raved about the offensive line all season, and their play has always backed them up. Guards Wyatt Teller and Joel Bitonio have been ranked among the best linemen in football, according to Pro Football Focus, while tackles Jedrick Wills Jr. and Jack Conklin and center JC Tretter have marvelously managed their week-by-week assignments.

In pass protection, they've helped give quarterback Baker Mayfield a league-leading 2.7 seconds of time in the pocket. That's up from 2.3 seconds in the pocket last season, which ranked 27th in the league. The unit has allowed just one sack since Week 13, the fewest in the NFL.

In the run game, there's plenty of stats to show their worth. Running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt are the only running backs on the same team this season to have over 790 rushing yards. The Browns have rushed for 100 or more yards in all but two games this season, and the offensive line has made several highlight reel-worthy blocks that have led to chunk plays on the ground.

"I love those boys up front," Mayfield said. "It's unbelievable. We have a great group that is extremely focused."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-o-line-doesn-t-seek-praise-but-has-full-appreciation-of-those-closest-to-
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 12:01 PM, The Gipper said:

my wife just told me all the browns wr's are out for the jets game due to covid....i don't have an iphone....is she looking at the right info....higgins...landry...jones....wtf...we are done if so.............jets will clobber the browns due to covid....what a strange season it has been....someone let me know what the fuck is going on..please...

1 minute ago, browns52 said:

my wife just told me all the browns wr's are out for the jets game due to covid....i don't have an iphone....is she looking at the right info....higgins...landry...jones....wtf...we are done if so.............jets will clobber the browns due to covid....what a strange season it has been....someone let me know what the fuck is going on..please...

Go to the Browns vs Jets Meadowlands II thread... 

my wife just told me all the browns wr's are out for the jets game due to covid....i don't have an iphone....is she looking at the right info....higgins...landry...jones....wtf...we are done if so.............jets will clobber the browns due to covid....what a strange season it has been....someone let me know what the fuck is going on..please..

Why the hell did you reply to what I wrote with this? 

Are you on drugs? 

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

my wife just told me all the browns wr's are out for the jets game due to covid....i don't have an iphone....is she looking at the right info....higgins...landry...jones....wtf...we are done if so.............jets will clobber the browns due to covid....what a strange season it has been....someone let me know what the fuck is going on..please..

Why the hell did you reply to what I wrote with this? 

Are you on drugs? 

no but you are a fucking asshole if there ever was one....fuckass moron...you know as much aboiut football as a fucking turd does...dickhead..

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, browns52 said:

no but you are a fucking asshole if there ever was one....fuckass moron...you know as much aboiut football as a fucking turd does...dickhead..

Strangest Holiday greeting ever!

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Go to the Browns vs Jets Meadowlands II thread... 

Yes, go there.  This is the OLine thread.  Kendall Lamm however has played some WR for us a couple of weeks or so ago...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, browns52 said:

Well....certainly  you are a fucking turd....and a dickhead, I guess that means we are equal in our knowledge of the game. 

And no one commanded that you had to participate in a discussion that I was having with Dutch and a few others about Glory Days.  Smacks of envy. 

48 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think he was late to Festivus... that was one impressive "Airing of Grievances". 

I can only surmise that he couldn't relate, and somehow felt diminished as a human being because of it.   

Or, maybe, since we were talking about  Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt and Norton,  he is from like either  Coventry, Springfield, Ellet, Tallmadge, or Stow....the other teams in that league at the time that I think the first 3 schools beat up on.   At least Norton did, as we went  9-2 and 8-3 in my  junior and senior years in HS  (and I know we lost to non-conf. foes Wadsworth and Copley for some of those losses, so we cleaned up pretty well in the Metro League those years.  Though I know we had one loss in there to Springfield, and I think another to KR sometime).   The Campana/White/Boykin/Nottingham times were all like my freshman/soph years. 

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I can only surmise that he couldn't relate, and somehow felt diminished as a human being because of it.   

Or, maybe, since we were talking about  Ravenna, Kent Roosevelt and Norton,  he is from like either  Coventry, Springfield, Ellet, Tallmadge, or Stow....the other teams in that league at the time that I think the first 3 schools beat up on.   At least Norton did, as we went  9-2 and 8-3 in my  junior and senior years in HS  (and I know we lost to non-conf. foes Wadsworth and Copley for some of those losses, so we cleaned up pretty well in the Metro League those years.  Though I know we had one loss in there to Springfield, and I think another to KR sometime).   The Campana/White/Boykin/Nottingham times were all like my freshman/soph years. 

I'm thinking he made a mistake and accidentally quoted the wrong thing.