THE BROWNS BOARD

Offensive Line

Orion

The OL has played well.  Beyond expectations.  But all of a sudden, with the loss of super-sub Chris Hubbard, and Wyatt Teller missing time, it's a bit thin.  Rookie center Nick Harris had to play the whole game at RG when Hubbard went down.  Aside from him we had Kendall Lamm.....and a practice squad player.

We need Teller to come back so that we can have the starters in place....and they've gotta stay healthy.  Harris has got to be interior super-sub...and Lamm, Tackle super-sub (and goal line WR super-sub).

Our offense thrives as a balanced attack.  We have good enough skill position players to attack through the air & ground.  It's the OL that opens the holes for the runners and gives receivers time to execute their routes.  The OLine is no small reason that we're 10-4.  (and credit the FO for finding a way to keep Hubbard here, for bringing in Conklin, Wills and Nick Harris - who did a good job filling the void at RG against a tough NY Giant defensive line...the strength of their team).

If it's a high ankle, it takes time to come back.  So we've got Nick Harris at RG and a practice squad player to back him up.  

And if Tretter gets dinged Harris has to move to center.  We do have a center on the PS.

It's a game of attrition...

4 hours ago, Orion said:

The OLine is no small reason that we're 10-4.  (and credit the FO for finding a way to keep Hubbard here, for bringing in Conklin, Wills and Nick Harris

Seconded... but don't forget OL Coach extraordinaire, Bill Callahan. Great "get" by Stef...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Any former offensive lineman on this board?

Guilty... former OG here.

Last play of the last hard practice before the last gamse Sr. year of HS I was pulling right when I heard "FUMBLE". I stopped and barely had time to look down and see the ball between my feet before a DT  dove for it and took out my right ankle.

Not of the high-ankle variety as far as I know, but still messed it up for weeks.

It's no fun doing Sr. tackle on crutches...

• Like 2

Teller is unofficially out from what I heard, and I wouldn't expect any miracles. It's such a bummer because Teller is literally the straw that stirs the drink. We knew we wouldn't be able to run last game, but we can't expect to pass our way through every game, either. Nick filled in admirably for Hubbs, but he wasn't honestly THAT good, especially in run blocking. I fear we're in for another passing extravaganza. 

9 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Guilty... former OG here.

Last play of the last hard practice before the last gamse Sr. year of HS I was pulling right when I heard "FUMBLE". I stopped and barely had time to look down and see the ball between my feet before a DT  dove for it and took out my right ankle.

Not of the high-ankle variety as far as I know, but still messed it up for weeks.

It's no fun doing Sr. tackle on crutches...

Did you know Grant Overbaugh?

1 minute ago, ATOM said:

harris looked better than hubbard  last sunday the only reason hubbard is still on the team is he took a pay cut  look for him to be gone next year

Hubbard has filled in at RT, RG and LT at times this season, and has done well when called on.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Hubbard has filled in at RT, RG and LT at times this season, and has done well when called on.

he's done o.k Harris as far as i saw played very well and on the cheap Bye bye hubbard unless he takes another pay cut

Just now, ATOM said:

he's done o.k Harris as far as i saw played very well and on the cheap Bye bye hubbard unless he takes another pay cut

Harris can play center and guard, while Hubbard can play tackle and guard. 

They aren't competing for the same roster spot. 

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Harris can play center and guard, while Hubbard can play tackle and guard. 

They aren't competing for the same roster spot. 

it will come down to money we can draft a back up next year

20 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Teller is unofficially out from what I heard, and I wouldn't expect any miracles. It's such a bummer because Teller is literally the straw that stirs the drink. We knew we wouldn't be able to run last game, but we can't expect to pass our way through every game, either. Nick filled in admirably for Hubbs, but he wasn't honestly THAT good, especially in run blocking. I fear we're in for another passing extravaganza. 

from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way 

side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?

• Like 1

Hubbard was set to make base salaries of $6.15 million in 2020, $6.65 million in 2021 and $7.15 in 2022. Instead, he’s now under contract for two years with a base salary of $2.5 million in 2020, including a $1 million signing bonus, and $1 million guaranteed in 2020.

38 minutes ago, ATOM said:

the only reason hubbard is still on the team is he took a pay cut 

I agree...but will add that they saw value in him because he can play so many OL positions.  He's also a good guy.  (I know, that and a quarter gets you a phone call)

Next year is next year.  We might still need him.  And as you pointed out, he's not costing much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

"FUMBLE". I stopped and barely had time to look down and see the ball between my feet before a DT  dove for it and took out my right ankle.

Me, it was on the basketball floor.  Literally, I was down, flat on the floor and another player dove at my legs.  Ankle got it.

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Did you know Grant Overbaugh?

Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

from what i saw he played well filling in and we should be fine running his way 

side note : how often has he played with the starting line up ? and you are giving him a bad grade for rush blocking ?

Bad grade might be a bit harsh. I'm just going by the PFF grades, as well as what I saw. Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks. But honestly, for his first action and being a rookie it was pretty damn decent. My main point is that he's not Wyatt Teller. Hardly anyone in the dang LEAGUE can run block as well as Teller so there's going to be a drop-off with anyone else, but especially with a rookie playing out of position. 

30 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Harris gave up the one sack and wasn't sure of where to go on a couple run blocks

No problem.  He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season.   Piece-a-cake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a name I've thought of in a few decades, but sure rings a bell... IIRC correctly he was a year ahead of me, and he and Ken Kubit(sp?) were our starting DTs my Jr. year.

I played baseball against Stan White:

White was born in Dover, Ohio and grew up in Kent, Ohio. White attended Theodore Roosevelt High School. He was the only player in the history of Ohio High School sports to play in the state all-star games for football, basketball, and baseball. He was 1st team All State twice in football, All State in Basketball as a senior averaging 25 points a game, and All State in baseball playing catcher as a senior hitting 0.467 (He pitched a championship game and won 1-0 with 17 strikeouts). Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.

Since 2006, White has worked as a color analyst for the Baltimore Ravens' radio broadcasts, teaming with Gerry Sandusky, who does the play-by-play, and former Ravens player Qadry Ismail. He also contributes to other programming on Baltimore station WBAL-AM. He previously worked for ESPN, NBC Radio NFL games, and Home Team Sports.

White is a lawyer, graduating magna cum laude from the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1978.[3] He went at night during the season and full-time in the off season, completing his degree in four years. His first job was with Ron Shapiro, noted sports lawyer. His classmates included sports agents Tom Condon and Tony Agnone.

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I played baseball against Stan White:

Against Ravenna his senior year he scored every way possible: He scored a touchdown and a two point conversion, kicked a field goal and an extra point, and tackled the quarterback in the end zone for a safety. His senior year ten Roosevelt players played both offense and defense, and six of those ended up playing in the NFL. White graduated in 1968.

You should have beaned him before he did Ravenna dirty like that.... 🤣

48 minutes ago, Orion said:

No problem.  He'll just get coached up while on the job, during the 3 game playoff push, of this whacky 2020 football season.   Piece-a-cake.

I totally agree. The fact that he was ready at all speaks volumes. Harris was receiving a lot of solid praise during camp before Tretter came back from surgery. This experience could really serve him well. 

• Like 1

Here is an interesting article.  Recent, just written in November:    The 40 high schools that have produced the most NFL players.  The leader is one of those "academies"  in Virginia.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/high-schools-that-produce-most-nfl-players-8f58a46f3f1a4c1a

A lot of schools from Texas,  California and Florida

4 schools from Ohio:

Warren G. Harding  21 players

Massillon 23 players

Glenville 27 players

Canton McKinley  30 players. 

To be honest.....I am not aware of a single player from my high school in history who has ever played in the NFL....but a few here from my kid's school where I live have. 

Though....the founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber was born there in my home town.  (Norton)

And something I just recently learned.   The wife of the richest man to ever walk the earth, in relative dollars:  John D. Rockefeller, came from right here in Wadsworth.  I guess you could say that meant the richest woman ever to walk the earth was from here.   To my knowledge, none of that money was ever spread around town here. Laura Spelman was her name.  Spelman College in Atlanta was named after her. 

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I was friends with his younger brother in Elementary and Jr. High.  If I recall he got a scholarship to Middle Tenn but quit after 1 year.  I remember Kubit.   Big guy who ate like a horse.  I think he got a job as a corrections officer for the County Jail. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

and six of those ended up playing in the NFL

Six guys from the same Kent Roosevelt  HS team ended up playing in the NFL.    I don't know if that is a record or what, but that is a hell of a lot. 

That '67 Roosevelt team was ridiculous. 

The '64 undefeated Ravenna team was damn good too, with Don Nottingham.