THE BROWNS BOARD

The tribe

Westside Steve

11 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You can think a name is disrespectful and that it should be changed without giving up everything you own to indigenous people. 

Again, not everything exists in an extreme. 

So changing the name absolves the past actions of pillage, rape, death and revocation? 

In a sense, I'm with WSS on this.  It's a cosmetic move at best that does nothing to actually atone for past sins.  It's a "feel good" gesture at best.

You can commit atrocities, but don't dare insult someone.  That's akin to breaking into a home and stealing everything from a person, but so long as I bake them a cake then it's all good.

No, things don't have to exist in extremes.  But this is such a half measure that it should be thought of as insult in an of itself.

12 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You can think a name is disrespectful and that it should be changed without giving up everything you own to indigenous people. 

Again, not everything exists in an extreme. 

Sure you can Woody. Especially if you just want to be a grandstanding hypocrite. Otherwise you could put your money where your mouth is. Sorry Chief we're keeping your land but we won't ever mention your name in public again. You can thank me later.

WSS

45 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

So changing the name absolves the past actions of pillage, rape, death and revocation? 

In a sense, I'm with WSS on this.  It's a cosmetic move at best that does nothing to actually atone for past sins.  It's a "feel good" gesture at best.

You can commit atrocities, but don't dare insult someone.  That's akin to breaking into a home and stealing everything from a person, but so long as I bake them a cake then it's all good.

No, things don't have to exist in extremes.  But this is such a half measure that it should be thought of as insult in an of itself.

No one said it absolves anyone of anything. The idea of it absolving anything is in itself extreme. 

Who is currently, in the US, committing atrocities?

This one move doesn't have to solve anything. But it can still be a good step to take. If we had a team called the blackfaces I would still say we should change the name even though it wouldn't erase racism. 

You can make an incremental move even if it doesn't solve or absolve everything

40 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

No one said it absolves anyone of anything. The idea of it absolving anything is in itself extreme. 

Who is currently, in the US, committing atrocities?

This one move doesn't have to solve anything. But it can still be a good step to take. If we had a team called the blackfaces I would still say we should change the name even though it wouldn't erase racism. 

You can make an incremental move even if it doesn't solve or absolve everything

The issue is the "incremental" move being the only move.     And I would hardly equate the word Indians with the word Blackfaces. 

34 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

The issue is the "incremental" move being the only move.     And I would hardly equate the word Indians with the word Blackfaces. 

Which we have just fairly recently decided was a mortal sin. I sincerely doubt Al Jolson ever mentt to offend anyone. Any more that I think the producers of The Dukes of Hazzard intended that car to be a monument to slavery. Or the Frito Bandito or Uncle Ben or Aunt Jemima or Sohi. 

In other news Peta members riot in protest of Toucan Sam the Trix rabbit and Tony the Tiger.

WSS

42 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Something beats nothing. That's what I'm getting at. 

An action that only resolves 10% of an issue isn't a worthless action. 

something beats nothing to activists who want validated emotionally.

If they don't get emotionally validated, they squawk, get enraged, and try to

annoy everyone else who isn't a scum bucket birdbrain enthusiast.

16 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Something beats nothing. That's what I'm getting at. 

An action that only resolves 10% of an issue isn't a worthless action. 

If your doctor says you should lose 100lbs for your health but you shrug and go "10 is better than nothing"..  Then it's pretty dismissive, no?   

Indians aside, the SF school being renamed just seems pretty god damn silly.

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

If your doctor says you should lose 100lbs for your health but you shrug and go "10 is better than nothing"..  Then it's pretty dismissive, no?   

Indians aside, the SF school being renamed just seems pretty god damn silly.

I mean, if people want to rename the school, then go for it. It doesn't hurt anyone else so I'm not going to get all up in arms about it. Would I do it? No, probably not. But it isn't my choice. 

10 pounds is more than 0 pounds though. 

I'll give you this though, if you then say "I lost 10 pounds, problem solved!" then yeah, that's bad and incorrect. If you realize though it's just a small step then we're good