THE BROWNS BOARD

Week 14: BLT @ CLE on MNF... Is shit is about to get real? Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore(so)"...

Tour2ma

On 12/8/2020 at 7:56 AM, Nero said:

Not only that, but I feel like even if they beat the Cowboys, Ravens have had a bad losing streak, they have lost last 3 games, 4 of the last 5. Meanwhile, we have won 4 of last 5 games.

There is momentum in games, but also during seasons, and the Browns should be able to seize it.

I really don't love the fact that they got a "get right" game before playing us, but it is what it is. I don't LOVE this match up, especially if Ward isn't playing (not sure), but I do know we'll need to score 30+ to bring home a W. 

51 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I don't LOVE this match up, especially if Ward isn't playing (not sure)...

Whoa...

Major deja vu moment here...

;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

I really don't love the fact that they got a "get right" game before playing us, but it is what it is. I don't LOVE this match up, especially if Ward isn't playing (not sure), but I do know we'll need to score 30+ to bring home a W. 

Dez Bryant probably not playing (covid) levels the playing field there if Denzel still is out.  Stefanski "hopeful" Ward can play MNF.  Injury report not out yet... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Whoa...

Major deja vu moment here...

;)

Yeah, I know. I really think Ward's speed and potential play-making ability will be needed Monday. Lamar is actually throwing picks this year, and it's safe to say our secondary is an effing mess right now. We desperately need turnovers on defense because we have proven time and time again that we aren't great at getting people off the field. Heck, we've had several games where we didn't force a punt, and when you couple that with our poor 4th down conversions, it's not great. 

I'm extremely interested to see if we've made up some ground on them or not. A part of me says yes, and another says not so fast. I also find it odd that we haven't really shit the bed during a game in a while. Virtually all teams lay eggs occasionally, yet we've been surprisingly resistant to doing so. I certainly hope we can keep it going because this is too fun. 

Anyone remember the SNL skit 'Debbie Downer'? 

We get a weekly 'Jittery Jiggins' skit on here during the leadup to every game. 😁

"I know we play the Broadview Heights Girl Scout Troop this coming Sunday, but with our backup longsnapper out for the game, I'm just not feeling so sure about it..." 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Anyone remember the SNL skit 'Debbie Downer'? 

Before your time, but we had a real downer member here a few years ago...

Zombo gave the guy a Debbie Downer avatar.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Before your time, but we had a real downer member here a few years ago...

Zombo gave the guy a Debbie Downer avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfE93xON8jk

This is worth watching just for the entire cast breaking character throughout... and Lindsay Lohan's cans. 

• Haha 2

First Practice reports are up...

Short list, but no Hodge or Ward for us.

image.thumb.png.eb7151cf9e4044a5ff977f1b472b1517.png

Entire BLT list is on their D-side, but half just look to be resting up.

image.thumb.png.07b1fe6d9bb2801e451697c4f1b09976.png

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This is worth watching just for the entire cast breaking character throughout... and Lindsay Lohan's cans. 

Fucking hell I'm a huge Curb your Enthusiasm fan but I had no idea that the episode that woman was in was related to anything else. And yet I didn't need to know, to find it funny.

Larry David is a genius

4 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Fucking hell I'm a huge Curb your Enthusiasm fan but I had no idea that the episode that woman was in was related to anything else. And yet I didn't need to know, to find it funny.

Larry David is a genius

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never seen an episode of 'Curb'. 

One of these days. 

Fresh Practice reports...

No improvement for any on yesterday's report. One new name added, Hooper.

image.thumb.png.9b8e76c66498564a1b0500d649d8ece4.png

As I thought three of yesterday's four DNP-NIs were back. The one exception, Campbell, is now plain, old DNP. 

Ingram and Williams got the day off. Smith and Washington upgraded.

image.thumb.png.d711e6342c1f076a4dd48b203c99af74.png

Injury reports add nothing of value.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:33 AM, Dutch Oven said:

About breaking character in SNL.... 

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:26 AM, gumby73 said:

Got my eyes on these two 👀...

Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams are both active, giving a major boost to Baltimore's defensive line. Campbell has missed three games since injuring his calf Nov. 8 against the Indianapolis Colts, while Williams has missed the last two games with an ankle injury suffered Nov. 15 against the New England Patriots.

Calais.. looked like he should not* have been playing in the 2nd half vs. Boyz... short week for Ravens...(luck matters) 

They'll prolly all be suited up Gumbs.  Last time we played the Rats, Calais Campbell made a difference even in an area I didn't expect him to.   That one play when they dropped him into a zone where Baker likes to throw (grey area just outside the hook zone) - he got that wing span of his 6'8" frame up there to deflect a pass into an INT.  

Sometimes I wonder if we put Baker in a pistol/shot-gun formation more frequently if it would improve his pre-snap reads and peripheral vision that split second decisions count on.  I used to say all the time when people said Baker reminded them of Brett Favre that he reminded me more of Drew Brees.  BTW, Drew Brees' career at Baker's age was turbulent enough to prompt SD to draft a QB 1st overall (Eli and then they had to trade him to the NYG in order to draft Philip Rivers a little later in rd 1).  The questions arising at the time were - is Brees tall enough to see everything at 6'?   Keep in mind that both Eli Manning and Philip Rivers are 6'5" tall so I'm guessing the plan suggested the height needed to be dealt with. Having said that, Rivers held out the length of training camp so Brees was named starter as his 4th season began. When Brees played at Purdue - Joe Tiller had him in the shot gun formation most of the time; so he didn't turn his back on pre-snap reads during his drop-backs which helped his decisions and accuracy.  When Brees got to SD, the game plan was to feed LT the ball and the best formations to do so at the time seemed to be QB under Center.  LT flourished but that didn't always help Brees at QB (seems kind of familiar to some of the games we've seen this year with our running game and Baker right?). Coincidentally, SD drafted Purdue Center Nick Hardwick in 2004 - who made a lot of snaps in the shot gun formation for Joe Tiller's team while he was very efficient blocking up front.  Another coincidence is Drew Brees made his 1st NFL Pro Bowl in 2004 - the first year he had Hardwick snapping frequently to him in a shot gun formation.  Again, that could all just be a coincidence to the turning point - but I think the Coaching Staff in SD made an attempt to borrow some of the Joe Tiller thought process that made Drew Brees a star in the Big 10 (particularly increasing the frequency of extending the pre and post snap vision).  FWIW, that never stopped LT from being elite at running the ball.

As Brees' career went on and a shoulder injury fated him to Sean Payton in New Orleans - Brees perfected the art of throwing to precise areas receivers were supposed to be and his length of experience and preparation produced elite/unparalleled anticipation.  Would any of this have been possible if Rivers never held out the training camp leading to the breakout year from Brees?  As it is, after Brees injured his shoulder - he only had 2 teams interested despite the reality of his surgeon saying the prognosis was excellent and his arm strength could even improve.  That 6' QB stereotype still invited more critics than gonads...

Why all that?  What's the hurry to say we're seeing the final product of Baker Mayfield - who is 4 Offensive Coordinators old in just 3 NFL seasons?   That's a lot of systems to learn and de-program this early on.  I'm a 1st impression kind of guy that thinks it's very difficult to set an NFL Rookie QB record of 27 TD passes in only 14 appearances on a team coming off 0-16 football if you don't have promising skillset to tap.  So then it becomes "yeah but he can't beat any good NFL teams?"    I expect that from a jock sniffer like Colin Cowherd; but let's try to remember just how non-competitive this offense and the QB position was here before Baker arrived.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I'm a 1st impression kind of guy that thinks it's very difficult to set an NFL Rookie QB  record of 27 TD passes in only 14 appearances on a team coming off 0-16 football.  So then it becomes "yeah but he can't beat any good NFL teams?" 

It's funny, the standards continue to move for Baker and I don't understand it. "He's only winning because of the running game" or "He can't beat good teams" or "He can't beat divisional opponents." It's frustrating and I'm tired of hearing it. The issue is, we're going to inevitably lose, and when we do, people will be like, "SEE! WE TOLD YOU!" It's a completely unfair standard that came out of nowhere. No team wins every game, and no QB plays well every week. Unfortunately for Baker, he's totally due for a stinker. And double unfortunately, we play a very tough opponent in our division. 

I don't think we're going to win Monday. It doesn't change how I feel about Baker or the team. If Baltimore loses, their season is over. They're not going to let a team they beat by 100 points to knock them out, I'm sorry. Additionally, they play man defense, and they play physical man defense. We don't have the WRs to beat it without OBJ. I also don't think our defense is good enough to stop them, either. Playing the Ravens comes down to stopping them on 4th down. We are abysmal defensively on 4th down. 

Remember, this is the Ravens' season. Do people really think we're ready to take THAT step of knocking out big brother? A team that owns the all time record like 34-12? I do not. But it still doesn't mean I don't love our QB or our team. Guess what, we're home underdogs for a REASON. Some people say history doesn't matter, I think it does. I think we lose, and I don't think it's close. I'm now 8-4 on the season, which isn't great, but I'd LOVE to be wrong about this one. 

On a brighter note, lol, Denzel might? be able to play Monday night. It's been the two weeks about.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-might-have-denzel-ward-back-for-ravens-matchup/

If the Browns don't win, it will be because of their secondary. If only Delpit hadn't gotten injured the entire year....and Greedy. And...if they lose, it will be because Hooper couldn't play and block on rushes......

If the Browns DO WIN, and I expect it...(just out of stubbornness)...it will be because the wr's stepped up, Chubb and Hunt dominate the game, and our WR's that aren't named Landry step up again hugely. Me, I think I would be misdirecting like the last game... and throw to our TE's more often, throwing the stinking ratbirds off track.

I did note that on the first play of the game, the Browns did throw a short pass. Defenses tend to crowd out los knowing that we want to establish the run, so we end up not accomplishing much all too often. That, and most defenses probably have watched Chubb early on rampage the first play of that game well before... lol.

Going to be a blockbuster game. Just a few turnovers by the ratbirds could seal their fate in this one.

Gustin may very well be back, Hodge is iffy, Ward is iffy....

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-might-have-denzel-ward-back-for-ravens-matchup/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I did note that on the first play of the game, the Browns did throw a short pass. Defenses tend to crowd out los knowing that we want to establish the run, so we end up not accomplishing much all too often. That, and most defenses probably have watched Chubb early on rampage the first play of that game well before... lol.

Yep, last two games we started with a pass. Against Jags we started empty (and I think Titans too, but not sure) and gave up a sack near the goal line that ended our drive before it started. I'm definitely much more confident with empty formation than I used to be, but that's mainly against bad defenses that run zone, not teams like the Ravens. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, last two games we started with a pass. Against Jags we started empty (and I think Titans too, but not sure) and gave up a sack near the goal line that ended our drive before it started. I'm definitely much more confident with empty formation than I used to be, but that's mainly against bad defenses that run zone, not teams like the Ravens. 

yeah, the empty set doesn't seem like a good idea in that situation... that one did backfire. Their secondary is pretty good, ok, very good.... with Stefanski, it never occurs to me to complain about the playcalling - I think he's brilliant at it.

9 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

yeah, the empty set doesn't seem like a good idea in that situation... that one did backfire. Their secondary is pretty good, ok, very good.... with Stefanski, it never occurs to me to complain about the playcalling - I think he's brilliant at it.

Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any. 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Oh, I think he's absolutely brilliant, too. Aside from playcalling, he's also extremely adept at clock management. We've become one of the top teams in scoring before half, and we've NEVER wasted a timeout. I mean I can't think of ONE time when we needed to use a timeout throughout any game this year? I can't think of any. 

I miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.😱😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

miss the good old Clueless-Hueless days when we fucked up clock management every f'n game.😱 😂

45 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Freddie had some awesome clock management moments too...

Omg, you're not kidding. How many times did that bite us in the ass? Did we EVER score before half? The funny thing was that Freddie team had talent. We should have beaten both the Rams and Seahawks with a huge win in Baltimore, but no discipline or coaching intelligence. 

Omg, you're not kidding. How many times did that bite us in the ass? Did we EVER score before half? The funny thing was that Freddie team had talent. We should have beaten both the Rams and Seahawks with a huge win in Baltimore, but no discipline or coaching intelligence. 

Didn’t score before half then. Don’t score after half now 😎

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Comeonman said:

Didn’t score before half then. Don’t score after half now 😎

Well, there's some truth to that. Some of it is simply how games unfolded. When you have a big lead, you're not trying to score as much as you are trying to drain clock and be safe with the ball. I think we're still learning how to finish games, but we got a little better last week. Don't forget we were up 20 with 1:45 to go. We made late mistakes, and we'll learn from them. 

We've also had a troubling amount of 3rd down drops in the second half, each one essentially a turnover of sorts. That shit can't happen if we're going to beat division teams. Remember that drop OBJ had against the Ravens week 1? Can't happen. 

49 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Well, there's some truth to that. Some of it is simply how games unfolded. When you have a big lead, you're not trying to score as much as you are trying to drain clock and be safe with the ball. I think we're still learning how to finish games, but we got a little better last week. Don't forget we were up 20 with 1:45 to go. We made late mistakes, and we'll learn from them. 

We've also had a troubling amount of 3rd down drops in the second half, each one essentially a turnover of sorts. That shit can't happen if we're going to beat division teams. Remember that drop OBJ had against the Ravens week 1? Can't happen. 

YEP. Seems he was looking at defenders and not watching the ball in, bad mistake.