THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm guessing it's unconstitutional

Westside Steve

Read up on the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. 

You'll find many right leaning sources making a claim that it is unconstitutional, but if 18 states have already signed up for it then it looks like there's a strong argument against that. 

It is a very smart way to internally drive change without waiting on compromise that will never happen. 

Have any of these states actually started doing this?  Looking at the electoral map, all states are giving their electoral votes to  their statewide winner, not the national winner

If they are going to do the popular vote, wouldn’t they have to wait until ALL votes are counted in ALL states?

3 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Have any of these states actually started doing this?  Looking at the electoral map, all states are giving their electoral votes to  their statewide winner, not the national winner

If they are going to do the popular vote, wouldn’t they have to wait until ALL votes are counted in ALL states?

It doesn't go in effect until there are enough states to provide 270 electoral college votes. 

33 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Check out Maine & Nebraska on the current Electoral College map.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

If that’s case why are there on 3 electoral votes in Maine? There should be 4

Just now, Browns149 said:

From what I gather on the news, their electoral votes are issued by the number of ballots casts for each candidate.

First time I’ve heard of it.

Just now, Canton Dawg said:

From what I gather on the news, their electoral votes are issued by the number of ballots casts for each candidate.

First time I’ve heard of it.

But there still should be 4 total. It says Biden 3 Trump 0

Just now, Browns149 said:

But there still should be 4 total. It says Biden 3 Trump 0

That’s the news for you.

Fox had Trump with 55% of the votes in Virginia but they had Biden’s name with the check mark that he was winning.

Go figure.

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

3 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact and what Nebraska and Maine do are different. 

Main and Nebraska award 2 electoral votes to the candidate that wins the popular vote in the state. They then award their remaining votes (2 in maine, 3 in nebraska) based on the popular vote winner within their respective districts in thale state. 

So Maine is broken into two districts each with their own popular vote 

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact and what Nebraska and Maine do are different. 

Main and Nebraska award 2 electoral votes to the candidate that wins the popular vote in the state. They then award their remaining votes (2 in maine, 3 in nebraska) based on the popular vote winner within their respective districts in thale state. 

So Maine is broken into two districts each with their own popular vote 

So there is 2 votes for total state votes and 1 for each district, which there are 2 

2+2=4. Or is there new math now?

2 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The popular vote is determined, and one of their two districts is determined

The second district isn't called yet

Ok. I didn’t look that far into it

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

That’s the news for you.

Fox had Trump with 55% of the votes in Virginia but they had Biden’s name with the check mark that he was winning.

Go figure.

I couldn't believe it ...they called Virginia for Biden WITH LESS THAN !% OF THE VOTE IN. AND TRUMP WAS LEADING. Much later, biden "took the lead".

yeah, like in Wisconsin, Michigan...they are still trying in PA.

2 hours ago, Browns149 said:

So there is 2 votes for total state votes and 1 for each district, which there are 2 

2+2=4. Or is there new math now?

4 total

2 to total state popular vote

1 to the popular vote winner in the 1st district

1 to the popular vote winner in the 2nd district

7 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

It doesn't go in effect until there are enough states to provide 270 electoral college votes. 

Regardless of your wishes Woody I would say it's still unconstitutional. No way to tell how long States will have any rights whatsoever but ... We will see when it comes up. If it is I suppose your side will need to change the Constitution. Not sure if that can be done with a simple majority or if you still need 60% of the states to agree.

WSS

24 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Regardless of your wishes Woody I would say it's still unconstitutional. No way to tell how long States will have any rights whatsoever but ... We will see when it comes up. If it is I suppose your side will need to change the Constitution. Not sure if that can be done with a simple majority or if you still need 60% of the states to agree.

WSS

The Constitution will not need to be changed. That's the point. Not to mention this is giving the states MORE rights, as they're each making their own decision. 

Regardless of your wishes Steve I would say it's still constitutional

45 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

The Constitution will not need to be changed. That's the point. Not to mention this is giving the states MORE rights, as they're each making their own decision. 

Regardless of your wishes Steve I would say it's still constitutional

Think what you will woodpecker we will see.

WSS