THE BROWNS BOARD

Dak Prescott suffers a severe..... compound ankle fracture

mjp28

8 hours ago, Neo said:

... my heart sank watching him in tears getting carted off the field.

Ditto... and impression I got was that it was disappointment fueling the tears, not pain.

Contrast those tears with his sheer joy in catching his first TD pass earlier in the game.

I feel for Dak more than most players.... even Browns... because I followed hm in college and saw his year to year development. I became "invested" in him more than I have most any other collegiate player I can think of. He was my QB sleeper in that Draft Class....

I wanted us to draft him... badly. To see him go to DAL, a team I despise, hurt. To see his continued progress as a pro made me proud.

The kid has grit. He'll be back.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not a Dak fan.. But it's obvious he's a great kid.. A motivator.. Works extremely hard... I don't care if your black , purple or whatevs... This kid is one helluva roll model for all young kids... And for adults too for that matter.. He's a class act... Everyone should root hard for a complete com back....

16 hours ago, Icecube said:

That triple sucks; playing on a one year franchise tag deal. Now this. Just awful. But hopefully it's not season-ending, it's his ankle not knee or a Achile's .  

Nope, even if he didn't "break" anything,  if you could stomach the doc video- Dak obviously tore up every major ligament in his ankle. Tour's right, they'll at least put a few screws in to stabilize it. He's going to be  using one of those leg scooters for months. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Nope, even if he didn't "break" anything,  if you could stomach the doc video- Dak obviously tore up every major ligament in his ankle. Tour's right, they'll at least put a few screws in to stabilize it. He's going to be  using one of those leg scooters for months. 

It'll be a good two years before he's 100% again... That's a nasty injury...

There's something about Dak the man that I have always liked... just seems like an everyday dude.  

Heal up quick Dak, and force Jerry to open his wallet or watch you go win for someone else. 

Just hope he still gets his pay day that should have come this year. This is why these guys push so hard for guaranteed money in contracts. Jerry better do right by him and give him the deal he's earned, unless the guy can never play again (which I doubt). Not saying he should get Mahomes money, but no reason for him not get the $30 mil plus.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I got was that it was disappointment

Or maybe he's worried about his future. Lots of things can happen between now and when the takes the field again. But I can see that it may be disappointment knowing how much these guys love to play.

3 hours ago, hoorta said:

Oh, he did more than "break something." He had bones jutting out from his skin. This is a major injury. I feel for the guy. 

7 minutes ago, Icecube said:

He had bones jutting out from his skin. This is a major injury. I

A compound fracture is uglier to be sure, but not meaningfully worse than the break itself. Any torn muscle and skin heals faster than the break... which "knits" in days and is largely healed in 6 weeks.

What makes this major is the dislocation of the ankle. Tendons and ligaments stretched, torn, spagettied... that takes a lot of rehab.

Schefty just announced on NFL Live that Dak's already been released from the hospital and is home. Expected rehab time... six months... plenty fast enough to play for pay next year.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

A compound fracture is uglier to be sure, but not meaningfully worse than the break itself. Any torn muscle and skin heals faster than the break... which "knits" in days and is largely healed in 6 weeks.

What makes this major is the dislocation of the ankle. Tendons and ligaments stretched, torn, spagettied... that takes a lot of rehab.

Schefty just announced on NFL Live that Dak's already been released from the hospital and is home. Expected rehab time... six months... plenty fast enough to play for pay next year.

That's good news. 

20 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I just hope that ankle doesn't wind up looking like Alex Smith's leg....  I partially tore ligaments in my ankle years ago, and the thing swelled up like a balloon.  

Speaking of Smith's injury & rehab. They had a special on it (believe it was ESPN). After watching it, I'm amazed the guy can even walk, much less play professional football.  For those who don't know, I saw plenty of blood and gore in my hospital years going to the ER for traumas. 70mph motorcycle wrecks, and a guy getting run over by a train. I'd put Smith's post injury pictures easily in the 10 worst I've ever seen. His leg almost rotted off.... 

12 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I just hope that ankle doesn't wind up looking like Alex Smith's leg....  I partially tore ligaments in my ankle years ago, and the thing swelled up like a balloon.  

Speaking of Smith's injury & rehab. They had a special on it (believe it was ESPN). After watching it, I'm amazed the guy can even walk, much less play professional football.  For those who don't know, I saw plenty of blood and gore in my hospital years going to the ER for traumas. 70mph motorcycle wrecks, and a guy getting run over by a train. I'd put Smith's post injury pictures easily in the 10 worst I've ever seen. His leg almost rotted off.... 

It's really amazing what sports medicine and rehab can do in recent years.  They can rehab nasty injuries now and actually be better and stronger than before the injury in a lot of professional sports.

I also think the recent insanely high salaries have given more incentive to get these star athletes back on the field.

It will be interesting to watch Dak's progress on his ankle.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

I saw it now and it was VERY ugly, and I have seen gruesome medical pictures too...

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

I partially tore ligaments in my ankle years ago, and the thing swelled up like a balloon.  

I was a pretty fair volleyball player back in my day. Trained with a former Olympian who ran the women's team at the Painesville Y. I was eager for intramural V-ball to start my Senior year at Case, but couldn't get the rest of the team to commit to practice so I joined our V-ball club. Went to my first practice with them and it was a serious workout.

Anywho during a block/spike drill I was getting paired against a "hot shot" who was 3+" taller than me and I was stuffing him and passing him regularly. After about my fifth block he landed under the net and my left foot came down on the outside of his right. My ankle quickly swelled to the size of a softball. I hobbled across the street from the gym with an assist to the University Hospital ER.

On call Doc looked at it and  said, "We'll X-ray it, but it's broken."

An hour later he said, "I have bad news. It did not break."

I was on two crutches for 8 weeks and one crutch for another two.

And that was my good ankle... the right got rolled up pretty good in HS football.

I still suspect the hot shot did it on purpose.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I fractured the fibula (clean snap, not compound) and dislocated the ankle early in my senior year of HS. Back then they put it in a cast which was kept on for much longer than the leg break would normally require and for half that time it became a walking cast. I recall thinking as they removed it that I'd be able to run right away only to be disabused of that notion when I realized how stiff the "moving" parts of the ankle were that would take time to stretch back to full range of motion. It was a good 4 months after the cast was removed before I was well enough to play the infield in baseball. I had lost so much speed I could no longer play center field and was placed at 3rd because we had a fast shortstop to help me out. By the end of the season i was able to steal bases again. it took about 7-8 months total to get back full speed, but there were no breaks or screws in the ankle itself. I don't expect Dak to be full speed by start of next season, but he should be able to play the position better than some of the NFL statues do. It just takes time for it all to feel "normal" again.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2020 at 5:50 AM, nickers said:

Wow,,, Classy...  Let's hope your favorite player doesn't get whacked...

hey chill the fuck out I just knew he got knocked out of the game(so what it happens all the time) I didnt see what happened till later on and ya that was thiesman like pretty gruesome