THE BROWNS BOARD

Major US city may soon allow 16-year-olds to vote, could others could follow suit?

Vambo

But actually Woody, I don't have much problem with people who are mentally impaired. Being able to vote. Certain levels of Retardation or dementia Etc.

I don't have much of a problem with a literacy test but that's to a lesser extent. Same with requiring gainful employment , maybe?

WSS

Of course if you really want to drop the voting age to 16 why not 14? Why not 12? That would be a game-changer if there were a referendum on bedtime or ice cream for breakfast issues.

15 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

What's worse, a 16 year old voting or a 90 year old?

A 90 year old with a good mind verses a 16 year old with very little life experience, probably not working much, if at all, not paying taxes, not understanding the weight of responsibility, I'll take the 90 year old.

Hell, I wonder if some 18 year olds should even be able to vote.  I have a 24 year old step son who's girlfriend does not work, still lives with mom and dad, yet according to FB she knows how to solve all the worlds problems and social injustices.  She shares her political views very openly, but, she doesn't lift one damn finger for herself, but she gets to vote.  She hates the rich and capitalism, but doesn't work and lives off mom, dad and my step son.  White privilege is to blame for almost everything, but she lives in her white parent's house free of rent.  But she will cast a vote this November.  

I understand the right to vote.  But I wonder at times if we have given that right too easily to those who choose to do nothing with their lives or have very little life experience themselves.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, BrownsKidd said:

A 90 year old with a good mind verses a 16 year old with very little life experience, probably not working much, if at all, not paying taxes, not understanding the weight of responsibility, I'll take the 90 year old.

Hell, I wonder if some 18 year olds should even be able to vote.  I have a 24 year old step son who's girlfriend does not work, still lives with mom and dad, yet according to FB she knows how to solve all the worlds problems and social injustices.  She shares her political views very openly, but, she doesn't lift one damn finger for herself, but she gets to vote.  She hates the rich and capitalism, but doesn't work and lives off mom, dad and my step son.  White privilege is to blame for almost everything, but she lives in her white parent's house free of rent.  But she will cast a vote this November.  

I understand the right to vote.  But I wonder at times if we have given that right too easily to those who choose to do nothing with their lives or have very little life experience themselves.  

Ok how about a 16 year old with a good mind that works vs a 90 year old that barely knows what day it is, gets busses on with the rest of the home, and votes without having to know, care or deal with any consequences?

See you can describe worst case scenarios both ways

Just now, MLD Woody said:

We're talking about voting Steve, not your thoughts on consent...

16 actually is the age of consent. Like my police officer friend told me the age of consent isn't the problem, it's finding a 16 year old that wants to sleep with a guy as old as her grandfather.

WSS

6 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Ok how about a 16 year old with a good mind that works vs a 90 year old that barely knows what day it is, gets busses on with the rest of the home, and votes without having to know, care or deal with any consequences?

See you can describe worst case scenarios both ways

Of course... my initial post could be considered both scenarios.  But my thoughts on any 16 year old, 18 year old or even mid-20s with no contribution to society stand. 

What age should citizens be able to vote?  18, 21, 24, 25.  Should a person have some life and social experience before they can formulate their own opinion on politics.  Our children, for the most part, take on a parents worldview.  I do believe that is changing as information is so easily accessed, but I do believe that once a child hits adulthood, many of the opinions they would hold as a teen will or do change.  I know that happened for me.  And views do change even well into adulthood.  I just am not sure that a 16 year old is ready, but I have known many 16 year olds that are much more emotionally and socially mature than adults.  

It's a tough topic, and I'm not sure how one can determine whether someone is mentally ready to vote.  So I guess 18 it is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

But actually Woody, I don't have much problem with people who are mentally impaired. Being able to vote. Certain levels of Retardation or dementia Etc.

I don't have much of a problem with a literacy test but that's to a lesser extent. Same with requiring gainful employment , maybe?

WSS

Of course if you really want to drop the voting age to 16 why not 14? Why not 12? That would be a game-changer if there were a referendum on bedtime or ice cream for breakfast issues.

lower it to just one day old, then the democrats will be against the murder of born children.

say, lower it to pre-born. Let the Moms vote twice. So there ya go.

the left will be completely against the murder of unborn children.

• Haha 1