THE BROWNS BOARD

Common Ground - Thread 2 - Pennies

MLD Woody

Why do we have Pennies?

It costs more than one cent to make. A large portion get thrown out or go unused. Many people don't even bother using it.

Outside of lobbyists pushing to keep it (which is another issue) why would we keep the penny?

Other countries have scrapped their lowest coin already 

Anyone think we should keep it?

13 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Why do we have Pennies?

It costs more than one cent to make. A large portion get thrown out or go unused. Many people don't even bother using it.

Outside of lobbyists pushing to keep it (which is another issue) why would we keep the penny?

The Post Office has lost ~$750 Billion over the last 12 years, most people use E-Mail and Junk mail that everyone throws away most people don't even bother to use should we keep it?

Hell yes Woody, pennies should be long gone! While I certainly don't know what the actual economic consequences would be if we terminated them, I have thought since I was about 10 years old that pennies were ridiculous.

The left, right and middle, coming together one penny at a time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

In the thread that's supposed to be about common ground, we have the MAGA posting algorithm in here immediately posting exactly what you'd expect.... Lovely

How is this topic common ground as it relates to politics or religion?

Vambo was only trying to help.

This should go the Barbershop.

None of our businesses use pennies. Well, one does digitally.

A little info on quarters.

1lb of quarters is $20.00

5lbs of quarters is $100.00

I haven't counted Quarters in yrs. I weigh them with a digital scale into 25lb bags to take to the bank.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Why do we have Pennies?

I forgot the exact loss the Mint has every year by producing them... and with inflation they actually are worthless now. (People still actually still use the post office in reply to one smartass MAGA) As a 1\2 interested coin collector back in the 1800s we even minted 1\2 cents....  New issue pennies are just copper clad- if they still were made out of pure copper, people would be melting them down and making money selling them for scrap... One thing I won't ever forget is my Mom telling me Grandpa was making 17 cents an hour doing make work jobs during the Depression... 

What this country really needs is a dollar coin people will actually use....   Bureau of Printing and Engraving wastes lots of money printing dollar bills that are next on the list of extinction....  

A little OT, but walking out of our Estate Planners office- there was a pretty fascinating framed display of images of all the paper money that's been printed. All the way from the dollar bill, and everything in between, to get this- a $100,000 bill (it was never used, was intended for Federal Reserve).  The $500 and $1,000 ones aren't printed anymore- but with inflation maybe they should be.  :)  They're still legal tender if you ever see one....  

well, every time you buy something for 1.99, or 5.99 cents, like gas, etc.....

how the hell are you supposed to give change?

what would a woodpecker do? Use bird poop?

not political.

"Scary barber shop"

24 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

well, every time you buy something for 1.99, or 5.99 cents, like gas, etc.....

how the hell are you supposed to give change?

what would a woodpecker do? Use bird poop?

not political.

"Scary barber shop"

Again, this was covered.

You round up or down to the nearest .05

Other countries have done this 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Again, this was covered.

You round up or down to the nearest .05

Other countries have done this 

I'd be okay with this.     I generally leave the pennies in the penny cup when change is doled out.. 

I pay a LOT of taxes most of you may have never heard of. A LOT! Some times you round up, sometimes you round down in your tax prep. I'm not sure it would make a significant difference in the overall tax intake.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Which is why I'm running a free advice special this week. Vote the stupid lying con man out of office. 4 years of stupid is as stupid says is enough.🤥

Obama is out of office...;)

44 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Obama is out of office...;)

And that was 8 years. You must be a trumpette. And in that case the price increase must account for $Tril/year pre-COVID deficits that will cause inflation. So that'll be $.05 please.😜

7 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And that was 8 years. You must be a trumpette. And in that case the price increase must account for $Tril/year pre-COVID deficits that will cause inflation. So that'll be $.05 please.😜

OK ... 4 years of stupid is as stupid says X2 is enough.🤥  So that will be $.05 X2 please.:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Vambo said:

OK ... 4 years of stupid is as stupid says X2 is enough.🤥  So that will be $.05 X2 please.:rolleyes:

The check is in the trumpy mail, but it will not arrive until after the election results are in, much like many Democrat votes.😂

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The check is in the trumpy mail, but it will not arrive until after the election results are in, much like many Democrat votes.😂

That's still 10X as much as Obama did for the country!;)