THE BROWNS BOARD

Biden vows free college

Vambo

Just now, calfoxwc said:

because all sorts of dimwitted druggie street people will go be roommates with you?

Do you understand at all how college works?

Do you have anything legitimate to add?

Really, tell me why this will "devalue" college degrees? 

Heaven forbid those born into unfortunate financial situations have a shot at the same opportunity as kids born into wealthier families...

WHEN ARE you going to have someone teach you how to do YOUR own research on the internet, fleabird?

Free college tuition would decrease the worth of a degree ...

https://marshallparthenon.com/8801/opinion/free...

Mar 08, 2016 · Having free college tuition would decrease the hard work it takes to go to college. Students work for scholarships to pay for their postsecondary education. Some save from their part-time jobs in order to save for college.

Free college would dilute value of a degree - al.com

https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/11/free_college_would_dilute_valu.html

The degree is not holding enough weight within itself; it is not giving people an opportunity to place a foot in the door of the workplace. The economy does not need more college graduates.

‘Free’ college would undermine value of education ...

https://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/free-college...

Apr 29, 2016 · Beware, America: Imagine how expensive college tuition will be if Democrats somehow manage to make more of it “free.” As for value, if Sanders has his way, you can expect the college degree …

How Free Tuition Would End College Competition — The Heights

https://www.bcheights.com/2016/03/20/why-free...

Mar 20, 2016 · Essentially, the free-cost principle that has weakened our public high schools would shatter America’s higher education. By instituting free tuition, public universities will lose the competitive edge that makes them so elite. The value of public degrees will significantly decrease, and private colleges will begin to excel in comparison.

Would making college tuition free lower the value of a ...

https://www.quora.com/Would-making-college-tuition...

There are two possible ways that free tuition could lower the value of a bachelors degree. The first is that the decree become significantly more common and thus commodified. The second is that, with free tuition, perception of value decreases. I don't think either would happen.

1. Decreasing Value of University Degrees (and other ...

https://medium.com/.../decreasing-value-of-university-degrees-2f831c4fd625

Jul 22, 2016 · “The problem is that this statistic is based on long-term data, gathered from a period of moderate loan debt, easy employability, and annual increases in the value of a college degree.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

These are relatively quick thoughts off the top of my head pardon me and Advance as I assume they'll be a lot of speech-to-text glitches. No name calling no insults.

Okay. I can't imagine this thread not getting bogged down and tons of meaningless responses but I will give my reasons one at tatime and each will get its own response. Fair enough?

First of all I believe but a college degree is worth more to an employer because of the time the effort the ability and the dedication needed to get through a series of courses the end product of which would be beneficial to the employer. The old saying easy come easy go I think is valid. And if colleges and universities are forced to carry people through four years and hand them some kind of a degree I think that degree will be suspect just on its face value.

49 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

Point number two

Once the manager was a high school education is mandatory to be successful in life. The way we have the educational system setup now schools are encouraged to pass and graduate kids regardless of their work ethic or ability. Social promotions. Hence we have tons of kids graduating from high school who can barely read. Unfortunately failing them cost the school money. If colleges and universities are pressured to graduate morons to keep their funding that means that the graduates themselves will be suspect.

For instance for the dozens of college athletes that get a pro deal there are thousands that don't but do get an education. Would you consider the degree at athlete was handed because he could play a sport would be as high quality as a kid who had to bust his ass to get that degree? And which one would you hire?

30 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

because all sorts of dimwitted druggie street people will go be roommates with you?

Point number three the politics of envy.

What a college diploma is guaranteed for every American regardless of effort what happens when the idiot that went to xXx School of Law isn't successful? He or she will most certainly blame the fact that they couldn't get into Case Western Ohio State or Harvard. And by God that's just not fair.

50 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

Number for funding.

I think we all agree a college education is not cheap not even a state school. Especially a superior institution of learning. So how do we pay for K through 16? Property tax? What Biden raise the capital gains tax back to 35% and open the floodgates even more two companies that will relocate in more sane locations? Do we force those colleges to operate on a slashed budget?

54 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

54 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

Number five. So probably what we could use are people with degrees and things that will either make them a living or be beneficial to society or that we are short on. Who will tell hundreds of thousands of kids that they can't major in basket weaving philosophy sociology women's studies African history or, let's face it, theater. 

57 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

Number 6

Remember that K through 16 means four more years that the kid lives at home with Mom and Dad or has to find an apartment or a dorm. Is somebody going to pick up the living expenses? And when that happens how long until little Jamal starts complaining that he wants to go to school in Florida, where the party he's better, and it cost a lot of money for an apartment? Will we be looking at four more years of welfare?

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

Why?

7. I've heard tell it's hard to get into college or university as it is Imagine tripling or quadrupling the number of kids flooding into the places. Will everybody go to the University of Phoenix or will they start building brick-and-mortar colleges like gas stations all across the countryside? And thinking about the Havoc the teachers union causes think about flooding their ranks with hundreds and thousands more professors.

WSS