THE BROWNS BOARD

Speaking of home-schooling, this Harvard nutjob goes off and wants it banned

calfoxwc

Yes, the HATE runs through the left. And yes, they hate home schooling because THEY are doing

the indoctrinating, and they can't stand competition in being able to reach students. To the left, it's a cultural war to own the future, and to DE-form our United States - one student at a time.

This has been the left's ulterior motive all this time.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/harvard-professor-homeschool-ban-christianity

Harvard professor who wants to ban homeschooling says it is used to indoctrinate children with 'extreme' ideologies, like Christianity

Last month, Harvard Law professor Elizabeth Bartholet made headlines calling for a "presumptive ban" on homeschooling in the United States. In an article, titled "The Risks of Homeschooling," she suggested that the practice is dangerous because it allows parents to have "authoritarian control" over their children.

Then on Friday, in a follow-up interview with the Harvard Gazette, Bartholet doubled down on her anti-homeschooling stance, specifically citing why she believes giving control of education to parents is such a terrible thing.

What did she say?

Bartholet credited the recent growth of homeschooling to "the growth in the conservative evangelical movement."

She added: "Conservative Christians wanted the chance to bring their children up with their values and belief systems and saw homeschooling as a way to escape from the secular education in public schools."

The fact that many Christians homeschool their children is detrimental, Bartholet reasoned, because "many homeschooling parents are extreme ideologues, committed to raising their children within their belief systems isolated from any societal influence."

Bartholet then went on to make sweeping stereotyped generalizations of conservative Christians, suggesting that "some believe that black people are inferior to white people and others that women should be subject to men and not educated for careers but instead raised to serve their fathers first and then their husbands."

"The danger is both to these children and to society," Bartholet concluded. "The children may not have the chance to choose for themselves whether to exit these ideological communities; society may not have the chance to teach them values important to the larger community, such as tolerance of other people's views and values."

Anything else?

Bartholet's concerns that homeschooling is primarily used to close off children from society and indoctrinate them with beliefs in female subservience and racial supremacy is unfounded, according to data from the Institute for Family Studies data from the Institute for Family Studies.

David Sikkink, a professor of sociology at the University of Notre Dame, analyzed surveys of homeschooling families and found that the families "are not overwhelmingly Christian nor religious, and are not as universally closed-off to the outside world as Bartholet asserts," the Catholic News Agency reported.

Data from one of the large surveys showed that only about 16% cited religious beliefs as the most important reason for homeschooling and only 5% cited moral instruction. Rather, the most cited reason for choosing to homeschool was concern over the environment at other schools in the area.

30 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

So, Hoorta and woodpecker - stick that in your smoke and pipe it !

Puff puff Cal I never said it was necessarily bad. It's an educational tool, no more no less. All depends on how it's used. So pull out radical (probably atheist) professor(s) to prove your point?  Got news for ya- unless you're going to a private religious based university these days, left wing philosophy rules. Most of Catholic Universities aren't exactly conservative, and they barely touch anything I'd even call moderate. 

She added: "Conservative Christians wanted the chance to bring their children up with their values and belief systems and saw homeschooling as a way to escape from the secular education in public schools."

And also Cal- I'm fine with home schooling because of religious convictions. As long as the parents aren't way out there religious nut jobs running Branch Davidian University, Jonestown Regional Branch. Like that pastor who wouldn't close down services during Covid crisis because God was going to protect us?  You going to deny there's some parents out there that are extreme control freaks with kooky ideas? Bartholet is using the classic- I'll use the few exceptions to smear everyone with the same brush- I won't. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, Cal home school can be a better option- if you live inner city, and don't qualify for a voucher. Since you want to rag on some ultra liberal professors, and I happen to think you're right, but you're wrong thinking everyone on the left side of the fence agrees with their POV. 

Now let me show you an instance where homeschooling can go terribly wrong. The sad case of Takoda Collins. Happened right here in Dayton. 

https://www.wyso.org/post/multiple-investigations-opened-death-10-year-old-takoda-collins

Takoda Collins was a student at Horace Mann Elementary, where he was apparently from kindergarten through most of fourth grade, As you mentioned, he was pulled from school to be homeschooled. 

So he could be raped, tortured, and eventually starved to death. Eat shit (for real) and die kid. Nice parents, huh?  Well, at least Dad's in jail now on murder, rape, and child endangering charges. There's plenty of blame to be spread around with Children's Protective Services and the Dayton Police not exactly doing their jobs. At least there's going to be a statewide review on how CPS operates. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

@hoorta

Shut up liberal 

Woody, us Catholics are supposed to oppose the death penalty- but in this case, I'm not so sure....  Pure evil. If you dig  into it a little more, the kid was being abused long before he got pulled from school....  

27 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Woody, us Catholics are supposed to oppose the death penalty- but in this case, I'm not so sure....  Pure evil. If you dig  into it a little more, the kid was being abused long before he got pulled from school....  

it's an indictment of home-schooling then. There are far more horror stories in public schools. It just concerns me that it's a social engineering battle for the minds of children - and public school leftwing ideologues have the upper hand, and that is an understatement.

16 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

it's an indictment of home-schooling then. There are far more horror stories in public schools. It just concerns me that it's a social engineering battle for the minds of children - and public school leftwing ideologues have the upper hand, and that is an understatement.

Like you want to indict a few Harvard nut jobs because you don't like their POV? Look in a mirror. As I said Cal- home school is a tool. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because of a few bad eggs. I don't disagree that most big city school systems are little more than organized daycare..... BUT- if those kids have a strong support system at home (all too rare)- and the ambition to improve themselves, they certainly can overcome left wing bias in public schools. GAH- but Cal thinks its the end of civilization as we know it. 

I saw the difference myself first hand when the Catholic inner city hospital I had worked at for 25 years shut down, then to going to a very commercial non religious blood center for the next 15. 

"Bartholet's concerns that homeschooling is primarily used to close off children from society and indoctrinate them with beliefs in female subservience and racial supremacy is unfounded, "

liberals bullshit aside, I just don't think most parents have their shit together well enough to give their kids a proper education at home. I'm sure there are exceptions, I know a few. There are also plenty of Stooges out there that I wouldn't feel comfortable having them train a dog. There are some wonderful teachers in the public schools and some shitbags.

WSS

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

Like you want to indict a few Harvard nut jobs because you don't like their POV? Look in a mirror. As I said Cal- home school is a tool. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater because of a few bad eggs. I don't disagree that most big city school systems are little more than organized daycare..... BUT- if those kids have a strong support system at home (all too rare)- and the ambition to improve themselves, they certainly can overcome left wing bias in public schools. GAH- but Cal thinks its the end of civilization as we know it. 

I saw the difference myself first hand when the Catholic inner city hospital I had worked at for 25 years shut down, then to going to a very commercial non religious blood center for the next 15. 

I never said "indict". not once. nothing of the sort. Go back and look.

I just posted it because of HOW they said what they said. the harvard nutjob went way crazy with her ASSumptions and partisan belligerent generalizations. That's you, not me.

School is a tool, too, si? and I never said "end of civilization" anything. Again, go back and look - it isn't that far.

So, Hoorta thinks it's okay to be a Jew in a prison camp, because if they have the ambition to improve themselves, they certainly can overcome the cruelty of the nazis.

See? The mirror flipped back on you ! Flippity-flippity. I thought you said you left.... lol

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Growing up Catholic I can say they're supposed to be a lot of things...

But yeah that guy is a monster