THE BROWNS BOARD

Why We Need More Focus On STEM Education

MLD Woody

38 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Nothing from Cal then? Makes sense. 

I'll chalk that up to the poor quality of homeschool education

1. your graph - no idea what state.

2. There is only one county in Ohio named "Fulton". It's up near Toledo.

3. There is also a Fulton county in Georgia, who knows what other states.

4. Your ASSumptions are surely boring, where do you get home schooling as the problem? Why do you think STEM education is the solution to a meaningless graph?

5. Your premise needs explaining, your graph needs explaining...and you need explaining as to your ignorance. You don't communicate anything efficiently.

https://hiphomeschoolmoms.com/how-to-promote-stem-education-in-your-homeschool/

try again if you are serious. for the first time.

42 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

1. your graph - no idea what state.

2. There is only one county in Ohio named "Fulton". It's up near Toledo.

3. There is also a Fulton county in Georgia, who knows what other states.

4. Your ASSumptions are surely boring, where do you get home schooling as the problem? Why do you think STEM education is the solution to a meaningless graph?

5. Your premise needs explaining, your graph needs explaining...and you need explaining as to your ignorance. You don't communicate anything efficiently.

https://hiphomeschoolmoms.com/how-to-promote-stem-education-in-your-homeschool/

try again if you are serious. for the first time.

I knew the homeschooling quip would get you riled up. 

Ok, ignore that. Moms can definitely teach physics. 

Anyway, look at that graph. What is wrong with it?

I was purposefully being vague to make a point

it's worthless so far. so is your point, apparently. It's tough to try to have a serious discussion with someone who is allegedly so intelligent, that they try to make a point by being vague.

18 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

it's worthless so far. so is your point, apparently. It's tough to try to have a serious discussion with someone who is allegedly so intelligent, that they try to make a point by being vague.

it is to make you have to think

just look at the graph, think about it... what is wrong with the graph?

there's no link, no source reference, which for this graph, would be absolutely necessary. Cherry-picked few counties for some weird? reason? It doesn't deserve any consideration. I looked at it, for a second or two, not worth any more time.

It's like a professor gives each student a blank sheet of paper, and tells his students describe the meaning...

of course, there is none.

But he has a pseudo-intellectual point about the deeper meaning behind all the words on the sheet of blank paper.

"it's suppose to make you think".

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

there's no link, no source reference, which for this graph, would be absolutely necessary. Cherry-picked few counties for some weird? reason? It doesn't deserve any consideration. I looked at it, for a second or two, not worth any more time.

It's like a professor gives each student a blank sheet of paper, and tells his students describe the meaning...

of course, there is none.

But he has a pseudo-intellectual point about the deeper meaning behind all the words on the sheet of blank paper.

"it's suppose to make you think".

Fine, I'll help you

This is a graph posted by the state of Georgia to show declining Covid rates to help justify the state reopening. Of course, if you look at the graph you'll see the X axis isn't even close to being correct. Instead of listing the data in order of date they just put it in a specific order to show decline that isn't there. Additionally, the order of the counties changes each date to try and show more declining. 

It is a deliberate attempt to mislead the public. Anyone with any basic ability to read a graph would see it's misleading which is where the title of this thread comes in.

So it seems like for all of the posts on here about states potentially lying about their numbers to make them seem worse, we're starting to get actual examples of states lying or misleading to show lower numbers to help justify reopening

And there is no bias, pro right wing angle you can take here to justify the layout of the graph. It is objectively an attempt to mislead. 

I don't think someone, or an entire state government, would intentionally put out such an obviously erroneous report.  I would give the same benefit of the doubt to a liberal state.  The question isn't whether the average citizen would catch the mistake, obviously.  This is likely, from my experience, intern quality work.  It just reeks of someone who spent all day on their phone and threw something together at the last minute.  The part I can't wrap my head around is, where was the oversight? 

MHO.

57 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Fine, I'll help you

This is a graph posted by the state of Georgia to show declining Covid rates to help justify the state reopening. Of course, if you look at the graph you'll see the X axis isn't even close to being correct. Instead of listing the data in order of date they just put it in a specific order to show decline that isn't there. Additionally, the order of the counties changes each date to try and show more declining. 

It is a deliberate attempt to mislead the public. Anyone with any basic ability to read a graph would see it's misleading which is where the title of this thread comes in.

So it seems like for all of the posts on here about states potentially lying about their numbers to make them seem worse, we're starting to get actual examples of states lying or misleading to show lower numbers to help justify reopening

And there is no bias, pro right wing angle you can take here to justify the layout of the graph. It is objectively an attempt to mislead. 

Thanks for explaining, which was really important since you did NOT LINK to the source. I guessed Georgia, not bad, out of fifty states, I do say. So you didn't post a reference link, to be intentionally vague, to show how the graph by itself doesn't mean diddly? So, why did they only include a relatively few counties?

Thanks for tryin. At least it was more than a blank sheet of paper, professor woodpecker. lol

Here, I'll help you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Georgia

The U.S. state of Georgia is divided into 159 counties, more than any other state except for Texas, which has 254 counties.

29 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

I don't think someone, or an entire state government, would intentionally put out such an obviously erroneous report.  I would give the same benefit of the doubt to a liberal state.  The question isn't whether the average citizen would catch the mistake, obviously.  This is likely, from my experience, intern quality work.  It just reeks of someone who spent all day on their phone and threw something together at the last minute.  The part I can't wrap my head around is, where was the oversight? 

MHO.

But to have the dates line up perfectly to show a decrease in cases each day AND change the order of the counties each time to show a decrease?

I'll admit there is a chance that someone that didn't know what they were doing sorted incorrectly... But this is information to the public about Covid. There has to be some amount of oversight. 

This happening by chance in a way that supports their reopening efforts seems unlikely though 

40 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Thanks for explaining, which was really important since you did NOT LINK to the source. I guessed Georgia, not bad, out of fifty states, I do say. So you didn't post a reference link, to be intentionally vague, to show how the graph by itself doesn't mean diddly? So, why did they only include a relatively few counties?

Thanks for tryin. At least it was more than a blank sheet of paper, professor woodpecker. lol

Here, I'll help you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Georgia

The U.S. state of Georgia is divided into 159 counties, more than any other state except for Texas, which has 254 counties.

I still don't think you're getting the point but that's ok

10 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

But to have the dates line up perfectly to show a decrease in cases each day AND change the order of the counties each time to show a decrease?

I'll admit there is a chance that someone that didn't know what they were doing sorted incorrectly... But this is information to the public about Covid. There has to be some amount of oversight. 

This happening by chance in a way that supports their reopening efforts seems unlikely though 

Of all the nefarious ways to manipulate data, this lacked all effort.  I can't imagine putting this out and thinking "no one will notice this shit".

But yes, the oversight was just going through the motions.  That we can agree on.

11 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

Of all the nefarious ways to manipulate data, this lacked all effort.  I can't imagine putting this out and thinking "no one will notice this shit".

But yes, the oversight was just going through the motions.  That we can agree on.

Yeah I'll agree with you on both points there.

But if you show the average person a bar graph you might as well be showing them Chinese. Maybe I'm being harsh but they may have thought they could pull a fast one.

Then again the internet is a thing and they should have known better.

I also heard this isn't the first instance of Georgia manipulating Covid data but I haven't looked into it.

It's not that we don't have it it's just nobody really wants to do it. Simple as that. Beyond that not that many people have an aptitude for it. I don't know you don't want to hear it but not many people have an aptitude for the theater or music either. Or literature. Or art. Stands to reason some kids in third world shitholes with nothing else realize working hard and learning something valuable like science or technology or medicine is away for a better life. American Kids? Not so much. Even the wives of the poorest Americans would seem like kings and queens  to kids in really poor countries. Also look at the rating of the United States versus other countries, eliminate the 20% of our demographic that's barely above trained animal status and probably our stem numbers would look better.

WSS

The staggered dates threw me off as well. I'm on the fence about it being intentional. It wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Nevertheless its all fixed now, and if you look at May 9 shouldn't we all be happy?

At this point what difference does it really make? Even Hillary would agree.lol

Screen-Shot-20.png

See, Woody? Gorka knows how to include the most important information.

It is Georgia, just like I guessed, but I only guessed it because of Fulton County. These graphs are created with computer programs, of course, GIGO, so there ya go.