THE BROWNS BOARD

The Pete Smith Article Thread...

Tour2ma

48 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I say we let this guy go quietly into the good night, and verily never mention his name again, thereby allowing it to  be absorbed into oblivion.

I agree. we need never speak the name Pete Smith again. 

• Haha 1

Jackson was the worst quarterback whisperer there ever was.  And yet HE'S the one that Haslam gave the most time to.  Two dopes in a pod.

'Trust me on this one'

kizer is a dude I feel bad for, certainly is the definition of being thrown to the wolves.

but most importantly, the dude just sucked. His college game tape had literal Unwatchable bad tape. He was a 5th round project who got way overdrafted in a weak QB class. Remembering some of his throws still gives me nightmares.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

kizer is a dude I feel bad for, certainly is the definition of being thrown to the wolves.

but most importantly, the dude just sucked. His college game tape had literal Unwatchable bad tape. He was a 5th round project who got way overdrafted in a weak QB class. Remembering some of his throws still gives me nightmares.

And the one game changing pass he hit on the sidelines got just flat out dropped. Ironic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

if memory serves me right “Trust me” was the Kessler pick equally bad though 

Honestly, Kessler at least looked like an NFL QB on the field. A back-up/3rd string caliber dude, but at at least wasn't a total embarrassment. He actually was an extremely accurate guy within 10-12 yards, just had ZERO ability to push the ball downfield. Ain't gonna win with that type of guy anymore.

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And the one game changing pass he hit on the sidelines got just flat out dropped. Ironic.

Coleman was just plain, a loser.

Not going to debate Kizer's potential, but the main point of the article is one I embrace. Namely that whatever chance Kizer had to be a starting QB in the NFL was destroyed by Hue's handling of him and the QB room as a whole. My evidence? An expert witness named Jon Gruden.

Jon liked what he saw of Kizer in his "QB Camp"... enough that when he had a chance to scoop him up after GB, he did. But now that he's seen him for a time, he's cut him loose....

... and kept Nate Peterman as his QB3.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I can't tell if you're actually being serious here...? 

I am.

To my eye and ear Jon's summary of Kizer's "camp" was genuine and optimisitc. There were a couple that Jon "manufactured" out of bullshit, but Kizer's wasn't among them.

36 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I am.

To my eye and ear Jon's summary of Kizer's "camp" was genuine and optimisitc. There were a couple that Jon "manufactured" out of bullshit, but Kizer's wasn't among them.

I guess that's fair, so long as you're acknowledging that Gruden basically "liked" every QB which came across his desk.

I suppose picking him up in Oakland does lend a bit more weight to that statement.  

58 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not going to debate Kizer's potential, but the main point of the article is one I embrace. Namely that whatever chance Kizer had to be a starting QB in the NFL was destroyed by Hue's handling of him and the QB room as a whole. My evidence? An expert witness named Jon Gruden.

Jon liked what he saw of Kizer in his "QB Camp"... enough that when he had a chance to scoop him up after GB, he did. But now that he's seen him for a time, he's cut him loose....

... and kept Nate Peterman as his QB3.

That’s a pretty hard sell that it’s all Hue’s fault. The guy certainly did Kizer no favors but he did get his foot in the door with 2 other teams and it didn’t pan out. It’s a tough results oriented business and at the end of the day an argument could be made that Kizer just didn’t put it all together quickly enough to Morph into a viable NFL QB. 

• Like 1

Not sure I buy the framing of this article/thread.. nothing's more stupid than the segment of this population/culture which seeks to prematurely build things up seemingly for the sole purpose of then "destroying" those same things.. even though nothing substantive was ever foundationally present.

Kizer had tools, sure - but no fewer tools than Spergon Wynn.

17 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Cream rises to the top: once a turd, always a turd. He's shown zero development since he was drafted. Just another horrid Browns' pick. Another hit of Weeden was a better QB. 

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Arena League  talent......maybe. 

Arena League actually Requires quicker process times (smaller field) and requires better accuracy.  It would probably expose him more. 

Canadian.  XFL probably better options.

and Yes Gruden loves everyone.  Why would a prospect/agent arrange Themselves in a situation where they would get negative airtime right before a draft. 

do some googling on what Irish HC Brian Kelly thought of Kizer leaving school early..👎 his draft projections, were projected way to high... Hue Jackson was not the coach Kizer needed at the next level

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Hue Jackson was not the coach Kizer needed at the next level

Neither was he the one we needed... ;)

On 5/8/2020 at 10:59 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

That’s a pretty hard sell that it’s all Hue’s fault. The guy certainly did Kizer no favors but he did get his foot in the door with 2 other teams and it didn’t pan out. It’s a tough results oriented business and at the end of the day an argument could be made that Kizer just didn’t put it all together quickly enough to Morph into a viable NFL QB. 

Someone said it earlier- all you had to do was a casual perusal of 3-4 of Kizer's ND games and it was obvious to even my untrained eye the guy was totally stinko.  5th round project was about right- big arm, with big inaccuracy. I've said for years by the time you get to the major college level you're either accurate, or you're not. That carried through to the NFL and the Browns Hue's lousy coaching as an added detriment. How many times did we see guys wide open, and Deshone throw it in the next county? 

• Upvote 2

Hue Jackson blames everyone else for Browns failures ...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hue-jackson...

The former Browns coach, fired on Monday after compiling a 3-36-1 record over two and a half years, could not stop himself from making a media appearance and trying to spin things in a positive light.

David Njoku says Browns felt 'disrespected' by former ...

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL/2019/07/03/...

Jul 03, 2019 · Cleveland Browns tight end David Njoku said the team felt "disrespected" by former head coach Hue Jackson, who joined the rival Bengals after the Browns fired him in October.

NFL Rumors: Bengals fire Hue Jackson, per report - Cincy ...

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/11/18168877/nfl...

Jan 11, 2019 · My source says Hue Jackson is out. — Elise Jesse (@Elise_JesseWLWT) January 11, 2019 The Bengals actually interviewed Jackson for the head-coaching gig, but he won’t even get a position coach ...