THE BROWNS BOARD

Boomers and virus

So I'm thinking I might find some agreement with Woody on this point, maybe not. As far as I can tell and given the confusion and Mis cues by medical professionals Etc young healthy people are in virtually no danger of dying from this. I'm not going to bother looking at the exact number but the huge percentage of deaths are from people in their 80s.

So...

It would seem to me logical that people over a certain age would be held to a higher set of restrictions. I hear people complaining that others aren't wearing their masks. I would answer them by saying that there's no reason for you to go to a big grocery store or Target or the Home Depot or Walmart if you are a the least bit concerned about catching something. Every one of those places offers curbside pickup or home delivery.

I guess restricting the movement of Boomers and octogenarians might be considered unfair but this whole thing is unfair. And it would probably make more sense. 

Thoughts?

WSS

Not to be flip but like forcing everyone to get vaccinated for ovarian cancer or sickle cell anemia.

Initially my thoughts were that restrictions on boomers and those at high risk would make perfect sense, and I am one of those who would be restricted.

But perhaps that the unmasked ones would only spread the disease and bring it into contact with the old folks anyway.

Another problem is how to enforce it.

6 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

What are you talkin about? You mean you're not allowed in the store at all? 

WSS

of course not - everybody who wanted to, went into the store. It's allowed to be open. Some don't wear a mask.

I do. Some employees do. Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?

6 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

of course not - everybody who wanted to, went into the store. It's allowed to be open. Some don't wear a mask.

I do. Some employees do. Whatchutalkinbout, Willis?

Fair enough I didn't think so. But that wasn't my point. Just saying that anybody who's worried can certainly order stuff delivered to the curb or to the home.

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

Fair enough I didn't think so. But that wasn't my point. Just saying that anybody who's worried can certainly order stuff delivered to the curb or to the home.

WSS

well, when you need a certain plumbing fitting to adapt from a plumber 2" to a 3", but I don't get the measurements of plumbing sizes, because the interior dimension of the 3? is 3 1/4 "..... I can't order that. lol

24 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

well, when you need a certain plumbing fitting to adapt from a plumber 2" to a 3", but I don't get the measurements of plumbing sizes, because the interior dimension of the 3? is 3 1/4 "..... I can't order that. lol

Oh well. Think of it this way your funeral will be huge. Had all of us wearing brown and orange. Virtual of course. 

And your plumbing will be in working order. For the week I mean.

Of course you do understand that masks does nothing to keep you from Catching the virus anyway right?

WSS

26 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh well. Think of it this way your funeral will be huge. Had all of us wearing brown and orange. Virtual of course. 

And your plumbing will be in working order. For the week I mean.

Of course you do understand that masks does nothing to keep you from Catching the virus anyway right?

WSS

no - not true. a good fitting n95 mask will stop droplets in the air. That stops you from inhaling the droplets.

it's the lining of the lungs that get the virus attacked to it. and I can't hold my breath that long. Although, back in my air force days, I could swim the entire length of an olympic sized pool underwater. Or course, I was an excellent swimmer and was much younger then.

I was actually asked to take over and teach life-saving classes at the base - but I was a short timer, and they found somebody else.

25 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

no - not true. a good fitting n95 mask will stop droplets in the air. That stops you from inhaling the droplets.

sorry you're wrong. It might keep you from breathing it in but it won't keep it from getting in your eyes your hands your cheeks your ears or your hair. The Masks are meant to keep people who are already infected from blowing out infected droplets. And by the way the n95 isn't any better at stopping droplets that a bad data. It has a higher filter rate that would be better for keeping virus out.

it's the lining of the lungs that get the virus attacked to it. and I can't hold my breath that long. Although, back in my air force days, I could swim the entire length of an olympic sized pool underwater. Or course, I was an excellent swimmer and was much younger then.

I was actually asked to take over and teach life-saving classes at the base - but I was a short timer, and they found somebody else.

32 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Wrong WSS.  N95 will stop you from getting infected in worn correctly.  Goggles are also a good idea.  Washing your hands also.  If it gets on your hair as long as you don't touch your face after touching your hair your okay.  

Conclusion: The N95 filtering face piece respirators may not provide the expected protection level against small virions. Some surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily designed to protect the environment from the wearer, whereas the respirators are supposed to protect the wearer from the environment.

The mask will keep it from getting into your lungs. it doesn't attack the eyes. Ever hear of eyes being damaged?

nope. hair?

nope. I change clothes, and used to take showers to make sure. The danger is letting it into your lungs.

and the virus doesn't exist in air by itself. In air, it has been coughed or sneezed out. The size of water droplets containing the virus is far, far larger than the 10-80 nm. Protect your lungs. that is what it hits.

Coronavirus: How does COVID-19 attack the human body? | UK ...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-does...

2:26

Mar 02, 2020 · How coronavirus attacks cells in the lungs. Although just around two months old, experts are slowly discovering more about COVID-19, which appears to be attacking two specific sets of cells in the ...

Author: Tania Snuggs

How COVID-19 kills: The new coronavirus disease can take a ...

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/02/14/npr-how...

But the new coronavirus attacks the lungs, and in about 20 percent of patients, infections can get more serious. As the virus enters lung cells, it starts to replicate, destroying the cells,...

38 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

The mask will keep it from getting into your lungs. it doesn't attack the eyes. Ever hear of eyes being damaged?

nope. hair?

nope. I change clothes, and used to take showers to make sure. The danger is letting it into your lungs.

and the virus doesn't exist in air by itself. In air, it has been coughed or sneezed out. The size of water droplets containing the virus is far, far larger than the 10-80 nm. Protect your lungs. that is what it hits.

Coronavirus: How does COVID-19 attack the human body? | UK ...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-does...

2:26

Mar 02, 2020 · How coronavirus attacks cells in the lungs. Although just around two months old, experts are slowly discovering more about COVID-19, which appears to be attacking two specific sets of cells in the ...

Author: Tania Snuggs

How COVID-19 kills: The new coronavirus disease can take a ...

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/02/14/npr-how...

But the new coronavirus attacks the lungs, and in about 20 percent of patients, infections can get more serious. As the virus enters lung cells, it starts to replicate, destroying the cells,...

I get "Page can't be found"  from your links.

But then what's the big deal about washing hands and disinfecting stuff.  It sounds as though the virus is harmful when it is airborne. Do people smell their fingers? Breathe in doorknobs? LOL

But I did find something about the eyes.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/coronavirus-transmission-through-eyes/

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Cal if it makes you happy feel free to wear one wherever you go. 

💖

WSS

I do. had to wear one to go to the dentist office today. could take it off while i was in the chair.

and sorry, I don't know what happened to those links...

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/coronavirus-how-does-covid-19-attack-the-human-body/ar-BB10EqZe