THE BROWNS BOARD

Justin Amash

So what is your take Woody?  That's far more interesting. 

He is a Tea Party chairman to this day, I believe.  You probably wouldn't vote for him based on policy, so what's your interest in this guy? Is it a fellow alum thing?

21 hours ago, htownbrown said:

So what is your take Woody?  That's far more interesting. 

He is a Tea Party chairman to this day, I believe.  You probably wouldn't vote for him based on policy, so what's your interest in this guy? Is it a fellow alum thing?

Well he's not Trump or Biden so it's a good start.

I don't agree with everything that I read (pro life, etc), but some of it is refreshing to see (like legalizing weed, reducing defense budget, etc). I'll keep an eye out for more on him even though he'll end up just being a small blip on the radar.

The alumni bit is just a bonus. 

8 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't agree with everything that I read (pro life, etc), but some of it is refreshing to see (like legalizing weed, reducing defense budget, etc). I'll keep an eye out for more on him even though he'll end up just being a small blip on the radar.

It is an option to those who feel like voting "none of the above". I looked at your profile Woody, and you're too young to remember when in 1992 Ross Perot made the biggest independent splash in a long time as a presidential candidate, getting 19% of the popular vote, not an easy task. I even voted for Ross. Did it make a difference? Maybe. You'd like it, but my wife sure as hell didn't- saying a vote for Perot was a vote for Clinton. 

As to him (Justin) being a small blip on the radar- sure enough. Perot already had plenty of name recognition, and as much money as Bloomberg to get his story out to the voters, something Amash doesn't have. I'd love to see the day where we could get a Libertarian candidate that's viable in a presidential election- because a lot of their views coincide with mine. "He that governs least, governs best". Unfortunately now money talks- and the major political parties can far outspend any outsider. If you didn't see it in one of my rants, I've been a loyal RNC (small change) contributor since the days Hillary ran for senator of New York. The Donald has pissed me off so badly I wrote them and told them they're not getting another dime out of me until you know who retires to the golf course at Mar a Lago. So be of good hope- I just may vote your "none of the above" or sleepy Joe.  :)  

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

He's a better Ron Paul impersonator than Rand Paul.  

I don't even believe Ron Paul was a NRA member.

He's 100% prolife.

I don't actually know, but cmon he looks religious AF.  It's probably the first rule of the Tea Club.

The list goes on.  I could live with this guy over Biden, but he kicks a hole in all the issues that seem to be hotbutton for you.  I'm sure Biden will legalize weed as long as his son can be on the board. Hell, I bet Trump will too in the next 4 years.  It just seems to be an inefficient route for you.

Unless....Michigan is holding a lot of water or some of Cal's seeds are starting to grow.

23 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

He's a better Ron Paul impersonator than Rand Paul.  

I don't even believe Ron Paul was a NRA member.

He's 100% prolife.

I don't actually know, but cmon he looks religious AF.  It's probably the first rule of the Tea Club.

The list goes on.  I could live with this guy over Biden, but he kicks a hole in all the issues that seem to be hotbutton for you.  I'm sure Biden will legalize weed as long as his son can be on the board. Hell, I bet Trump will too in the next 4 years.  It just seems to be an inefficient route for you.

Unless....Michigan is holding a lot of water or some of Cal's seeds are starting to grow.

Religion is fine. It's when religion affects public policy I'm against it. Hell, maybe this guy does think that way and then he's out for me.

I'm mostly just interested in there being another candidate. I really don't like the idea of a two party system so any politician residing outside of the main two parties gets a boost in my book, even if I don't agree with everything they support. 

7 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Religion is fine. It's when religion affects public policy I'm against it. Hell, maybe this guy does think that way and then he's out for me.

I'm mostly just interested in there being another candidate. I really don't like the idea of a two party system so any politician residing outside of the main two parties gets a boost in my book, even if I don't agree with everything they support. 

Fair enough, but the first time someone calls you a racist don't say i didn't warn you.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, htownbrown said:

Fair enough, but the first time someone calls you a racist don't say i didn't warn you.

I've found that the people that complain the most about unfairly being called racist are the most likely to have done or said something somewhat racist.

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

I've found that the people that complain the most about unfairly being called racist are the most likely to have done or said something somewhat racist.

no you haven't, liar. You THINK that because it's ignorant asswholes who use slurs like "racist" all the time, every opportunity, because like you, they hate, they spew slurs out of spite, because they are emotionally unhinged and knee jerk.

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

On 5/28/2013 at 8:14 AM, MLD Woody said:

The fact that religion seems to play a big role in their policy making is a big deterrent for me. Is Rick Perry considered to be in the Tea Party? Didn't he hold a state pray session to ask for rain or something crazy like that?

Add in the instances of racism and ignorance, and the fact the base of the group basically seems like old, pissed off rednecks and religious extremists and they're further away from me.

IMO they're a fringe political group and I don't want to associate with either extreme.

I also am on the other side of most of their stances on social issues.

It really doesn't take much to flip that switch.  If Amash destroyed Obama's ACA it would be the first thing that gets said in the headlines at Vox.  Guaranteed. I'm not calling you out, I'm just letting younger Woody warn you since you don't believe me.

44 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

It really doesn't take much to flip that switch.  If Amash destroyed Obama's ACA it would be the first thing that gets said in the headlines at Vox.  Guaranteed. I'm not calling you out, I'm just letting younger Woody warn you since you don't believe me.

Yep, and I still agree with all of those points younger me said. Though the tea party has morphed into just the regular Republican party at this point. At least the part of it that seems on charge. 

If this guy changed his views then there may be something there. If he's still mostly aligned with what I didn't and still don't like about the tea party then he isn't the candidate for me. 

Again, I'm mostly interested in the fact it is an option outside of the main two political parties. 

2 hours ago, htownbrown said:

A "rehabilitated racist redneck"?  Hmm.  Younger Woody would call bullshit.

Realistically, I have a more seemless suggestion.

https://www.gp.org/2020

The "cleanest" way for you to throw your vote.

Again dude... I'm not throwing my total support behind the guy.

I appreciate what you're trying to do here but it's a little bit of a stretch.

Maybe you'll find me throwing complete, blind support behind a candidate I called a con man or something.

I mean Biden isn't great but he's better than Hilary. I could stay there. We'll see.

28 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Again dude... I'm not throwing my total support behind the guy.

I appreciate what you're trying to do here but it's a little bit of a stretch.

Maybe you'll find me throwing complete, blind support behind a candidate I called a con man or something.

I mean Biden isn't great but he's better than Hilary. I could stay there. We'll see.

I'm not saying you are throwing blind support behind this guy.  I'm not attacking anything you've said, past or present.

I guess in a way Woody, it's almost offensive if you vote for this guy.  As much vitriol that goes towards guns, abortion, religion, etc., you'd have to walk quite a ways back to justify it.

For that reason, I don't think you would vote for him.  I just think it's all about the Blue brotherhood anyways.  I can sense the Force is strong, but you're going to tote the #NEVERTRUMP line in the end.

2 hours ago, htownbrown said:

I'm not saying you are throwing blind support behind this guy.  I'm not attacking anything you've said, past or present.

I guess in a way Woody, it's almost offensive if you vote for this guy.  As much vitriol that goes towards guns, abortion, religion, etc., you'd have to walk quite a ways back to justify it.

For that reason, I don't think you would vote for him.  I just think it's all about the Blue brotherhood anyways.  I can sense the Force is strong, but you're going to tote the #NEVERTRUMP line in the end.

I know exactly what you're attempting to do, but that's fine. 

"Vitriol"? Alright...

Well, as far as "blue brotherhood" goes, I'm not a registered Dem and I didn't vote for Hilary last time. But say whatever you want I guess.

I was actually interested in Trump as a candidate at one point. At this point though he's proven to be an embarrassing shit show. If it makes you feel better to call that "#NEVERTRUMP" then know one is stopping you. Live your best reality man. 

42 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I know exactly what you're attempting to do, but that's fine. 

"Vitriol"? Alright...

Well, as far as "blue brotherhood" goes, I'm not a registered Dem and I didn't vote for Hilary last time. But say whatever you want I guess.

I was actually interested in Trump as a candidate at one point. At this point though he's proven to be an embarrassing shit show. If it makes you feel better to call that "#NEVERTRUMP" then know one is stopping you. Live your best reality man. 

By Blue brotherhood I was referring to University of Michigan.   It was the most obvious point in the very first post of the thread, after all.

12 hours ago, htownbrown said:

By Blue brotherhood I was referring to University of Michigan.   It was the most obvious point in the very first post of the thread, after all.

Oh, ok. I've never heard it referred to as the "Blue Brotherhood". 

Yeah, sure, even if he sucks I have the silver lining of my University claiming another president. That is very true.