THE BROWNS BOARD

Ian Rapoport Tweet Multiple players had drug tests flagged at the NFL Combine including Becton's

Tour2ma

... but under the new CBA it's no big deal.

Potential Cleveland Browns draft target Zack Baun, an edge rusher from Wisconsin, tested positive at the NFL Scouting Combine with a diluted sample, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. The new collective bargaining agreement renders this no longer punishable under NFL rules, so it doesn't count against Baun entering the league and it's entirely up to teams to decide how much they care. It's not likely to impact his draft stock.

The diluted sample has been an ongoing issue for prospects the NFL has not really dealt with, but the latest CBA enables them to avoid it. The sample submitted to be tested is basically overwatered because the prospect in question flushed their system. Rather than re-testing the prospect and getting a better sample, they simply take this test and call it a diluted sample.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/wisconsin-edge-rusher-zack-baun-tests-positive-for-diluted-sample-at-nfl-scouting-combine

The times they are a changin'...

I skimmed a few articles trying to figure out whether it was PEDs or weed or something else, but l don’t think that’s really what this means. If l understand correctly no traces of banned substances were found, it just means the guy chugged an abundance of water before the test, which can be a sign the player is trying to mask or flush any traces of banned substances from his system, but not necessarily.

it's tough to give players the benefit of the doubt, to me, when it's known ? about drinking too much water - wouldn't all

college players know about this by now?

maybe not.

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I skimmed a few articles trying to figure out whether it was PEDs or weed or something else, but l don’t think that’s really what this means. If l understand correctly no traces of banned substances were found, it just means the guy chugged an abundance of water before the test, which can be a sign the player is trying to mask or flush any traces of banned substances from his system, but not necessarily.

Yea,  the league used to get all fucking stupid about this sort of thing.  Now,  it is nothing,  not one little thing....other than "data".

Real point is that diluted samples do not matter any more to the league under the new CBA.

As purposeful intent to mask any underlying "offense"... well... eye of the beholder...

On 4/15/2020 at 7:37 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

Ticky tack. If it was to hide weed, who cares? The don't suspend players for weed anymore, do they? Word is if he falls far enough the Steelers will take him. Imagine a D with Watt, Bush, Baun and Dupree at LB? Dear God. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It looks like Hurts didn’t fare much better. Jake Fromm scored well. I think at one point he was highly regarded, but then he played another season or 2 and his stock dropped. He might not be a bad developmental prospect if he could be had in a middle round of the draft. Apparently he’s smart.

The scores from the above article.

QB's Wonderlic Scores:
Nate Stanley 40
Jake Fromm 35
Joe Burrow 34
Jake Luton 29
Jordan Love 27
Justin Herbert 25
Anthony Gordon 25
Brian Lewerke 25
Jacob Eason 23
James Morgan 23
Jalen Hurts 18
Tua Tagovailoa 13
As per @TheAthleticNFL @BobMcGinn #NFLDraft #NFLDraft2020

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Not really a good showing for players of the Alabama Crimson Tide, as WR Jerry Jeudy only scored a 9 on his wonderlic test.

Jerry Jeudy’s Reported Wonderlic Score Puts Him Just Below ‘Literate’ Level (TWEET)

Looks like Saban needs to get his boys a Wonderlic tutor...

• Upvote 1

WR Wonderlic Scores:
Michael Pittman 29
Bryan Edwards 28
Chase Claypool 27
Brandon Aiyuk 23
Henry Ruggs 20
Justin Jefferson 19
Denzel Mims 17
KJ Hamler 15
Laviska Shenault 14
Jalen Reagor 13
Cee Dee Lamb 12
Van Jefferson 12
Tee Higgins 11
Jerry Jeudy 9
as per @BobMcGinn#NFLDraft

— First N Goal (@First_N_Goal1) April 15, 2020

Multiple players had drug tests flagged at the NFL Combine & among those is projected top 10 pick #Louisville OT Mekhi Becton, I’m told. Teams were made aware of this. Becton had no failed drug tests in college. Per new CBA rules, he goes into Stage 1 for no more than 60 days.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I assume these are not for weed. They are there for either PED’s or some other street drug

Not sure why you'd assume that.

While weed can no longer produce suspensions, it's still "illegal" and leads to counseling, fines, increased testing, etc.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

How bad of a LT was Nate Solder for the Giants last season? or how bad did pff grade him last year?...I look at the Giants depth chart & looks to me they need a RT.(if not 2). or was Solder a better RT at Pats? I see more of Wills or Wirfs fitting here..am i wrong?

Zona just re-signed their LT...so I mocked Wills staying at RT for the Cards....

If we need a LT? We should see Becton, Thomas & Jones at pick 10? #11 Jets & #14 Tampa must go Left imo

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not sure why you'd assume that.

While weed can no longer produce suspensions, it's still "illegal" and leads to counseling, fines, increased testing, etc.

So this flagging. What does this mean exactly? And does weed cause such flagging these days? With the new CBA flags are different these days right?

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

How bad of a LT was Nate Solder for the Giants last season? or how bad did pff grade him last year?...I look at the Giants depth chart & looks to me they need a RT.(if not 2). or was Solder a better RT at Pats? I see more of Wills or Wirfs fitting here..am i wrong?

Solder only played RT in NE during his rookie year then he was a fixture at LT for 5 years.... but yes, he was very bad at LT for NYG.

Manning/Jones held the ball a lil bit longer than TB12...

NYG was the only one that did not see Solder's fail coming.

No idea what NYG is going to do at #4, but I doubt they take an OT there. They are financially committed to Solder thru 2020.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2020 at 10:46 PM, Tour2ma said:

... but under the new CBA it's no big deal.

The times they are a changin'...

I'm waiting for some knucklehead to say the reason he failed his drug test was to get everybody's mind off him failing the Wonderlic Test.    

• Haha 2

On 4/20/2020 at 12:49 AM, Tour2ma said:

Solder only played RT in NE during his rookie year then he was a fixture at LT for 5 years.... but yes, he was very bad at LT for NYG.

Manning/Jones held the ball a lil bit longer than TB12...

NYG was the only one that did not see Solder's fail coming.

No idea what NYG is going to do at #4, but I doubt they take an OT there. They are financially committed to Solder thru 2020.

Before that, they were the only team that didn't see Ereck Flowers' fail coming.  While it's a good point about the financial commitment to Solder, will they have a better shot at their choice of pick of the litter at LT in 2021 than #4 overall?   If they do continue on with Solder for 1 more season - they could be thinking about a guy like Matt Peart after round 1.