THE BROWNS BOARD

Ranking the 10 top potential STEALS in the 2020 draft

calfoxwc

Pretty interesting. I drafted their #6 in the second round, their #9 in the sixth? round.

And, I'm pretty intrigued with their #5, Ben Bartch, OT, as I've said before.

Which makes me think, maybe, #1 might be a great pick for the Browns. It's a very, very deep wr class.

The NFL draft is only about two weeks away....3 out of ten ain't so bad.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885405-ranking-the-10-biggest-potential-steals-of-the-2020-nfl-draft#slide5

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Pretty interesting. I drafted their #6 in the second round, their #9 in the sixth? round.

And, I'm pretty intrigued with their #5, Ben Bartch, OT, as I've said before.

Which makes me think, maybe, #1 might be a great pick for the Browns. It's a very, very deep wr class.

The NFL draft is only about two weeks away....3 out of ten ain't so bad.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2885405-ranking-the-10-biggest-potential-steals-of-the-2020-nfl-draft#slide5

Dantzler is a good bet.  Highly productive in the SEC locked down a ton of great WR prospects in that league.  I think his 40 time and other measurables did him in 

• Upvote 1

Two here... Gordon (QB) and Dye (LB)...

Caught a glimpse of Gordon early in the college season and made him my early darkhorse candidate... 5000 yards later he stuck. Only the lack of attention Hurts has gotten despite his fit with the direction the league seems headed has given me any pause.

Dye? Love his speed/length combo at OLB.

A few more posters and we're going to need more picks... :)

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Two here... Gordon (QB) and Dye (LB)...

Caught a glimpse of Gordon early in the college season and made him my early darkhorse candidate... 5000 yards later he stuck. Only the lack of attention Hurts has gotten despite his fit with the direction the league seems headed has given me any pause.

Dye? Love his speed/length combo at OLB.

A few more posters ad we're going to need more picks... :)

On board with Gordon.  Haven't watched quite enough of Dye yet.

Started thinking about my own list rather than Bleachers. In no particular order...

• Jalen Hurts - QB, OU... the more I look, the more I see Dak 2.0...
  • Anthony McFarland - RB, Maryland... fast and quick.. good receiver...
  • Devin Duvernay - WR, Texas... almost uncoverably quick... extremely productive.
  • Shane Lemieux - IOL, Oregon... made for our ZBS.
  • Matt Peart - OT, UConn... I believe I may have mentioned him before.
  • Khalil Davis - IDL, Nebraska... quick disruptor...
  • Jabari Zuniga - Edge, Florida... strong  for his size, if can improve his "get-off", he's going to be really good.
  • Troy Dye - OLB, Oregon... has the speed, needs to get a little stronger.
  • Malik Harrison - LB, tOSU... I keep seeing him as a Mike... and a good one with thump and surprising coverage skill.
  • JR Reed - FS, UGA... good size... decent speed... needs work on tackling, but otherwise the skill set is pretty well complete.
  • Upvote 1

I don't know about the "steal" of the draft, but the "stealer"   of the draft is James Robinson,  the alias of James Ryder,  upper attendant at the Hotel Cosmopolitan  who stole the precious jewel known as The Blue Carbuncle.    And he thought it was safe to hide it in the crop of a goose.   Bad, bad mistake. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Started thinking about my own list rather than Bleachers. In no particular order...

• Anthony McFarland - RB, Maryland... fast and quick.. good receiver...
  • Devin Duvernay - WR, Texas... almost uncoverably quick... extremely productive.
  • Shane Lemieux - IOL, Oregon... made for our ZBS.
  • Matt Peart - OT, UConn... I believe I may have mentioned him before.
  • Khalil Davis - IDL, Nebraska... quick disruptor...
  • Jabari Zuniga - Edge, Florida... strong  for his size, if can improve his "get-off", he's going to be really good.
  • Troy Dye - OLB, Oregon... has the speed, needs to get a little stronger.
  • Malik Harrison - LB, tOSU... I keep seeing him as a Mike... and a good one with thump and surprising coverage skill.
  • JR Reed - FS, UGA... good size... decent speed... needs work on tackling, but otherwise the skill set is pretty well complete.

- Well we've found our QB disagreement for the year.   Since we're on the same page with Gordon, I guess we'll spot 2020 as a wash.

- Ditto on McFarland

- Duvernay really stood out v OU.     I would argue Mims (Baylor) would be my greater steal depending on the round he falls to.

- Well, seeing Lemieux's name over and over in your PFF mocks explains this one.

- Same same on Peart

- Davis I'm on the fence with.  He has moments, but the lack of talent around him doesn't help any eval.

- On board with Zuni.

- Likewise for Dye

- You followed me on Harrison

- Wasn't Reed the one who busted coverage on the TD vs Bama?   ....    yeeeeesh.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Darrynton Evans RB App. State

i almost waited for you to throw this guys name up here from the draft 👍.. I've been to Boone, NC twice to watch Appie St... mountains beauty of a stadium..Darrynton had a bunch of underclassmen blocking for him..Evans rarely got help from them like Nick Chubb at times...Guess who's Evans RB coach was at appie? ? Garrett Riley the younger brother of Sooners Lincoln...Lincoln & Garett Riley worked under Ruffin McNeil right up the road at ECU from where i live.. Garrett coached Justin Hardy & Zay Jones back than

Nobody knew who little Tarik Cohen was coming out of NC A&T...D. Evans is 5'10" 203 & can run the same 4.41 as a 5'6" 178 T.Cohen ran at the Combine.. Don't sleep on Darrynton Evans..  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

i almost waited for you to throw this guys name up here from the draft 👍.. I've been to Boone, NC twice to watch Appie St... mountains beauty of a stadium..Darrynton had a bunch of underclassmen blocking for him..Evans rarely got help from them like Nick Chubb at times...Guess who's Evans RB coach was at appie? ? Garrett Riley the younger brother of Sooners Lincoln...Lincoln & Garett Riley worked under Ruffin McNeil right up the road at ECU from where i live.. Garrett coached Justin Hardy & Zay Jones back than

Nobody knew who little Tarik Cohen was coming out of NC A&T...D. Evans is 5'10" 203 & can run the same 4.41 as a 5'6" 178 T.Cohen ran at the Combine.. Don't sleep on Darrynton Evans..  

Thanks I didn’t know these details.   He looked the part in the NO Bowl.  I think he has plus Game Speed and Vision for the next level.  Hope folks don’t kill me but you can see a little Terrell Davis - Patience and vision and then plant and cut. 

You also see him set up defenders very well at the second level.  He’s creating a lot of these long runs with his patience and vision and then the speed takes over.  Pass catching looks good too.

I read on a scouting report he had NO fumbles almost 500 touches at App State.

He would be an excellent add to our running back room and great Hunt Insurance this year and possibly become #2 in 2021. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

USA Sports has their Biggest Steals list out... and we gots us one...

Browns S Grant Delpit (LSU) — second round, No. 44 overall

Kudos to new Browns GM Andrew Berry for maintaining the proper perspective on Delpit that many of his peers lacked. The 6-2, 213-pound safety put forth a fair share of rocky tackling efforts last season, but he attributed the problems primarily to a high-ankle sprain that hindered him for a good portion of the year. Those shortcomings, however, can be cleared up. What can't be taught are Delpit's quick breaks in coverage and ball-hawking play, as his rare blend of athleticism and instincts allow him to chase down passes from almost any point on the field. In a few years, Delpit might leave many wondering how he made it out of the first round.

Others listed:

• Bears CB Jaylon Johnson (Utah) — second round, No. 50 overall
  • Cowboys CB Trevon Diggs (Alabama) — second round, No. 51 overall
  • Titans CB Kristian Fulton (LSU) — second round, No. 61 overall
  • Jets S Ashtyn Davis (Cal) — third round, No. 68 overall......................................... damn....
  • Jets WR Denzel Mims (Baylor) — second round, No. 59 overall............................ Jets got 2?
  • Cardinals OT Josh Jones (Houston) — third round, No. 72 overall........................ double damn... but good on ya Josh, make me proud.....
  • Saints LB Zack Baun (Wisconsin) — third round, No. 74 overall
  • Rams S Terrell Burgess (Utah) — third round, No. 104 overall
  • Cowboys DE Bradlee Anae (Utah) — fifth round, No. 179 overall............................ da Boyz got 2, too?
  • Ravens WR James Proche (SMU) — sixth round, No. 201 overall
  • Bills WR Isaiah Hodgins (Oregon State) — sixth round, No. 207 overall
  • Chargers WR K.J. Hill (Ohio State) — seventh round, No. 220 overall 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-drafts-biggest-steals-2020-jets-cowboys-get-huge-value-from-picks/ar-BB13dNFE?ocid=spartandhp

On 4/17/2020 at 3:20 AM, Tour2ma said:

•  

I owe you an apology.  I just finished up his game vs Texas Tech and UCLA.

Real NFL potential there.  He looked so much better in the pocket at OU compared to Bama.  Poise, saw actual progressions being made, checks at the line, dummy counts etc etc.   

edit: At times, a taller Russel Wilson IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My wife loves those caramel M&Ms. I'm allotted 1/4 cup per day from her supergigantic bag of 'em.

Peanut here...

Meanwhile back at the sleepers...

16 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Real NFL potential there.  He looked so much better in the pocket at OU compared to Bama.  Poise, saw actual progressions being made, checks at the line, dummy counts etc etc.   

It was the improvement that brought on the Dak comparison as much or more than his play style. I saw Dak improve year to year thru 3 years at Miss St. And while seeing Hurts' progress did suffer from Tua-interrupta, it still reminded me of Dak's...

Wilson on the other hand... only saw the one year of him at Wisconsin where he shown... as opposed to NC St. where he was mediocre at best. Of course doing their best work after a school change is something Jalen and Russell have in common.

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My wife loves those caramel M&Ms. I'm allotted 1/4 cup per day from her supergigantic bag of 'em.

I keep a big bag frozen and they're my cheat snack on Sunday's.  Admittedly I've gone a good job eating less and less of them in one sitting.   To the point I can have 9 or 10 and be content with that.    So that family sized bag lasts me quite a while.    That having been said, if anybody breaks in and steals them... I'll hunt them down like the dog they are.

Peanut butter is a distant 2nd.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Peanut here...

Meanwhile back at the sleepers...

It was the improvement that brought on the Dak comparison as much or more than his play style. I saw Dak improve year to year thru 3 years at Miss St. And while seeing Hurts' progress did suffer from Tua-interrupta, it still reminded me of Dak's...

Wilson on the other hand... only saw the one year of him at Wisconsin where he shown... as opposed to NC St. where he was mediocre at best. Of course doing their best work after a school change is something Jalen and Russell have in common.

Hurts still needs work finding his outlet receiver, taking the easy check down and keeping his eyes up when he pulls the ball down to climb the pocket.  There were a couple times vs UCLA alone where I"m convinced he actually saw the receiver open up in front of him as he pulled the ball down, but trusted his legs more.      Beyond that?  I saw better intermediate touch on the ball, then some time and placement on downfield passes I hadn't seen during his time at Alabama.      Plus his improved calm demeanor in the pocket really stood out.        To the point where, had he stayed at Alabama, might be in the same position Tua ended up in draft wise.

There is a skill set there that has developed and can continue to develop if he puts in the mental work.    Dak is a pretty good benchmark to hold him to.   Good news for his career and development, he's going to a team with a decent Oline, a few new toys and a starter in front of him that will give him time to further improve fundamentals and master his eye movement without being thrown to the wolves.

....barring injury to Wentz, of course.

Wentz injured? Pffft... never'll happen... ;)  I really thought Dallas was gonna nab Jalen...

Frozen caramel M&Ms.... based on my love of frozen Milky Ways, it does sound good.

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Wentz injured? Pffft... never'll happen... ;)  I really thought Dallas was gonna nab Jalen...

Frozen caramel M&Ms.... based on my love of frozen Milky Ways, it does sound good.

They are delicious. But if you're trying to get fancy, my ex introduced me to frozen nutty butty bars once upon a time.   Dear. Christ.    Good thing my metabolism is freakish otherwise I would have put 20lbs on just looking at a box of them.

12 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

They are delicious. But if you're trying to get fancy, my ex introduced me to frozen nutty butty bars once upon a time.   Dear. Christ.    Good thing my metabolism is freakish otherwise I would have put 20lbs on just looking at a box of them.

Any chocolate I eat MUST be refrigerated or frozen.Peanut m&ms are a favorite, but I have to refrain from peanuts, so it's on to plain m&ms, KitKats,3 Musketeers, Reese Cups, Milky Way Midnights, York P'mint patties, & others. BTW, even though not chocolate, Zagnuts are GREAT refrigerated (& as fragile as Wentz)!

Mike